Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think the audio is messed up in the story video. after about a minute it all starts over and then everything is out of sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't say I see that issue? I just watched through it and everything is as it should be for the audio and video syncing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a Youtube issue, actually. It happens to me on a few videos too, reloading the page fixes it.

Also you ask how to end the video, in a Jojo playthrough? Shameful. You should know fully well how to.

And your keyboard can be heard and it is kinda noisy and annoying, but it isn't a deal-breaker, and your commentary on fighting games and this game in particular is pretty interesting for a casual who can't play anything other than Super Smash Bros. (and not particularly well) like me.

Also the types of Stand users are...very debatable, I have to wonder about some of these choices. Separating Chaka and Khan is weird enough, considering they have the exact same abilities, but even moreso is that Black Polnareff falls under Passive when the entire point of that was that Anubis could use Silver Chariot, making that an obvious Active. Pet Shop not being in Active is really confusing too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a Youtube issue, actually. It happens to me on a few videos too, reloading the page fixes it.

Also you ask how to end the video, in a Jojo playthrough? Shameful. You should know fully well how to.

And your keyboard can be heard and it is kinda noisy and annoying, but it isn't a deal-breaker, and your commentary on fighting games and this game in particular is pretty interesting for a casual who can't play anything other than Super Smash Bros. (and not particularly well) like me.

Also the types of Stand users are...very debatable, I have to wonder about some of these choices. Separating Chaka and Khan is weird enough, considering they have the exact same abilities, but even moreso is that Black Polnareff falls under Passive when the entire point of that was that Anubis could use Silver Chariot, making that an obvious Active. Pet Shop not being in Active is really confusing too.

I feel like where they were coming from with some of these definitely. They didn't want certain characters to just be the same as others and so even if some users do use the same stands, they want them to be kind of different and changing them from active and weapon to passive allows them to differentiate the characters more. Petshop I feel isn't too weird either due to his stand never really being a full on extra body unlike the Crusaders' stuff since most of its time was spent firing icicles. More on that when we get to it though, the way I have episodes oriented right now, the next episode's gonna be p short and the one after that will be longer. Gotta get the Polnareff vid done first and if anyone wants to know his entire movelist is gonna be shown off regardless of a certain attack.

It's not like Jotaro's extra super which is a huge spoiler, Polnareff's is more of a preview of things to come and works very well with how the games in the LP are laid out. Also I will take to note on my fightstick button clacking, was mostly just doing it as a momentary thing to see how people would respond to it since it does make it a bit easier to do commentary with my videos, but it's not such a huge hassle I can go back to post for the character vids and mechanic stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I kinda like the fight stick sounds actually, if only because I will never be able to do stuff like that myself.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Hey Baal, I just wanted to say thanks for getting me into HftF! It's a super fun fighter, and I was really surprised by the depth and strategy in fights. I saw in the OP that there is going to be Goon matches, and I was wondering when those would happen, on what platform, and if I could throw in my fairly decent Avdol. I love that he can pull off a little of everything with decent range, close attacks, good zoning, and good supers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When I do the goon fights it'll be on like Fightcade or something. Glad you're enjoying it though! I'll hit people up if they wanna play whenever I feel like we're at a good point to be doing that which'll probably be after story updates are done.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this is where we talk about the jojo anime right

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Character Video!

Jean-Pierre Polnareff Character Video

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Polnareff is probably the best character in Stardust Crusaders.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal where is 7th Stand User I name you a coward and a rogue

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

Rodyle posted:

There is a thread about 7thSU already.
It's not easy to find it on mobile app. But the name is something like "let's write jojo fanfiction" or whatever.

Edit: here it is.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764220

NeruVolpi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 21, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

Waffleman is already doing. I will probably do a video for it, but it's not gonna be for a minute.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

NeruVolpi posted:

There is a thread about 7thSU already.
It's not easy to find it on mobile app. But the name is something like "let's write jojo fanfiction" or whatever.

Edit: here it is.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764220

oh neat!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Next episode's pretty late and I'm sorry about that, but some real life stuff's been happening and I need to sort it out before I feel like I can get back to a proper mindset to record and edit. Sorry about this guys, but I'll hopefully have this all sorted out within a week.

Not that I was very consistent to begin with, but hey.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A story update and character video in one, whoa I am pushing the limits here

#6: The Egyptian Gods
Iggy Character Video

Iggy 1 2 3
The Fool
An Enemy Approaches
N'Doul 1 2 3
Downed Helicopter
Surviving Pilot 1 2 3
Geb, the God of Earth 1 2 3 4
Sinking Car
You can smell him, can't you? 1 2
The Fool Glides 1 2 3 4
Sonar 1 2 3 4
Iggy drops Jotaro
Jotaro Drops Iggy 1 2
Where's Jotaro 1 2
Showdown 1 2 3 4 5
N'Doul defeated 1 2 3
N'Doul's Grave
Oingo & Boingo
Stalking
Khnum & Tohth 1 2 3
Poisoned Tea 1 2 3
Next Prediction 1 2 3
Oingo is caught 1 2 3
Sitting in the Car 1 2 3
Oingo escapes
Oingo & Boingo Defeated 1 2 3 4

Okay, let's talk about the Egyptian Gods and some assets involved with them and stuff.

First is Geb, N' Doul's stand. Geb in Egyptian mythology is the god of the Earth. Its domain is over the desert and fertile earth. Funnily enough, the actual stand is a water stand, something that's crucial to both ecosystems. Geb's symbol was also mostly snakes as well, something the actual stand resembles through its movement. The stand moves and slithers around in a way that resembles a snake, but also in the way it suddenly strikes with deadly accuracy. Another attribute of the God is that its laughter was considered to be an earthquake. Since N'Doul only fights through his keen sense of hearing, he would need any rumbles that occur on the ground. That one is definitely more of a stretch than the other two, but it's fun to think.

On N'Doul's side, he is a very iconic character to Part 3. He is the first of the Egyptian Gods the group fights and on top of that, he is one of the more unorthodox ones. He never directly confronts the group, preferring to stay very far away from them and let his long range stand do the work. However, unlike previous antagonists who would hide and do the same (Cameo, Arabia Fats, & J. Geil) he does not immediately resort to cowardice and begging when he is put into a corner. His strategy instead comes off as a way to optimize his abilities and even when confronted by Jotaro, he quietly accepts that he could lose the fight and instead lets out one last attack and gives Jotaro the name of his stand as a show of respect. It's portrayed there's more nobility in what he does than any other stand user they've fought up to this point and Jotaro feels it's worth acknowledging and respect even if he was his enemy.

As far as Heritage for the Future goes, N'Doul was intended to be a playable character and the game got too late into development for them to follow up on him. As a result, most of the assets they had finished for him had been folded into a boss fight for him. The way his attacks function and move imply he could've been a trap-based character (Testament from GG and Rocket Raccoon from MvC3 are a good reference point for what those are) which would transition to a boss fight very well. Of course a lot of his potential attacks were inflated to be more threatening and would most likely have been tuned differently if he were a playable character. He would not see playability, unfortunately, until the release of Eyes of Heaven on the PS4. There is however video footage of someone pulling up his sprite and being playable in the game through hacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXD__7-RYeU

Next we have Khnum and Tohth. Khnum is Oingo's stand and as a god it commands domain over the Nile River. Khnum is very heavily associated with clay and molding, stemming from the Nile's annual flooding that would bring forth clay. It is very obvious that this ties in Khnum's power as it allows Oingo to mold his face into other shapes, even the face and accessories of others. Thoth is the God Knowledge, being responsible for the overseeing of many things such as maintenance of the universe, creating a writing system, and a bunch of other stuff. Needless to say he's a pretty important dude and his symbol is also a papyrus scroll, essentially Egyptian paper. Tohth, Boingo's stand, reflects this by being a comic book. Along with the papyrus scroll analogue, Thoth is a god of knowledge and is commonly in other interpretations depicted with a book, because the only way to show you are smart is to read. On top of this the comic book essentially gives Boingo knowledge of the universe's events and how they will unfold, although not at his own leisure. It's a much more creative way to take that stand.

On the character side, Oingo and Boingo feel like a pretty comedic redux of Hol Horse & J. Geil. In both stories there is a leading man who puts everything into action (Oingo and Hol) while the other does all of the planning and remains in the shadows (Boingo and Geil). There is no cowardice behind either sides skills or confrontation of the group, in fact both sides are fully confident they can take down the Crusaders, even if their faith in their own abilities is somewhat misplaced. Ultimately, while they do sort of have some menace to them, Oingo & Boingo are still comedic characters, unlike Hol and J. Geil, who are meant to be taken very seriously. Admittedly, Hol loses all of his guile (If you will permit the pun) once he runs away, but until then he is meant to be menacing and a threat (Which makes what happens later pretty ironic).

Iggy
N'Doul (Geb)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The biggest problem with Iggy is the nature of his story mode battle - it's the worst matchup in the game, in my opinion.

And you can't really appreciate Oingo and Boingo (a.k.a. Oing and Voing a.k.a. Zenyatta and Mondatta in the official English translation) without witnessing the special ending credit sequence they made just for that episode of the anime. There's probably a version with subtitles out there somewhere, but I don't really have time to search for it right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The ending to that Iggy video :allears: Wanna pet that dog

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nidoking posted:

The biggest problem with Iggy is the nature of his story mode battle - it's the worst matchup in the game, in my opinion.

The worst matchup of the game is actually a super ironic one and I will tell everyone about it when I get to him because it's hysterical.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Story update, new mechanics vid

#7: Anubis
Mechanics and Fighting Game Nonsense #4

Chaka
A Sword 1 2
Possession
Anubis
Confrontation 1 2 3
Anubis Sword 1 2 3 4
Phasing through Pillar 1 2 3
Taking Higher Ground
Last Shot 1 2 3 4
Chaka Defeated
Inspecting the Sword
Polnareff Posse- 1 2 3
At the Barber Shop
Khan, the Barber
The Best Part of a Barber Shop...
Is the Shave
Anubis Never Loses to the Same Opponent 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jotaro Steps In 1 2 3 4
Jotaro vs Khan 1 2 3
Khan Defeated
An Unfortunate Series of Events 1 2
Polnareff Possessed 1 2 3
Anubis Learned 1 2 3 4
Anubis and Chariot 1 2 3
Star Platinum vs Silver Chariot w/ Anubis 1 2 3
Anubis Crushed 1 2 3
Anubis' Last Shot 1 2 3
Whoops
Anubis Defeated 1 2 3 4
Ruins
Country Town
Desert Noon (For last update)

Anubis is the central stand of this update and oh boy is he a big one. Anubis is the Egyptian God of Death, one of the most well known ones in both media and just through osmosis as well. Despite this though, he's not a super prominent figure in Egyptiation Mythology. He's a guide for souls to the Underworld and weighs the souls to determine their judgment, he is also a protector of tombs. His role is nothing more than that of a typical Grim Reaper, not that this has stopped him from being portrayed as villainous or downright malevolent in certain media. The abilities of the sword stand in JoJo do not relate to him very much either nor does its personality. The most you can relate to Anubis the stand to the god is that the sword carries the stand with it from person to person and that is me just trying to find a common thread. There's also the fact both Polnareff and the Possessed Chaka fight in a temple of Kom Ombo, but that's still reaching. This one really does scream of Araki just attributing a god to a random power unlike the previous Egyptian Gods, not that this would be the first time since certain Tarots got attributed to characters they don't particularly work with. It really is just the design of the Stand's actual form that is shared.

As far as the actual fight goes, Anubis is a fantastic fight in Part 3. It's the first stand that is solely independent and it is one of the most threatening things that Jotaro and Polnareff face. It is a stand of sheer tenacity that refuses to stop pursuing them until they literally make him. It takes Jotaro outright destroying the remains of the blade on the hilt for them to feel they've put him down. However, Anubis still pursues them through the edge of the blade Jotaro broke off earlier and fails to do so thanks to Iggy. It's an intense fight that puts both Polnareff and Jotaro's ingenuity and stamina to the test, but Polnareff does kinda pull a new attack out of his butt for the fight with Chaka. What makes it great though is to see the stand develop on the fly with the other two. Part of what makes Anubis cool is tricks don't just keep working against him. He learns and he adapts, same as the characters do to the stand users they've fought, but he gets rematches unlike them and gets to put what he's learned to the test. Ultimately, Anubis gets outwitted by Jotaro and by pure coincidence fails his last chance at killing in what is a very JoJo way for a villain to be defeated.

Chaka (Anubis)
Khan (Anubis)
Jean-Pierre Polnareff (Silver Chariot & Anubis)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still think Black Polnareff being a passive Stand user is dumb. He could easily be an Active (with Silver Chariot) so Anubis would have a character for each type and cool Chariot/Anubis tandems could be a thing.

Also skipping the cow even as a story event is an unforgivable sin. Cownubis for DLC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Black Polnareff as an active stand would've required them making new assets when it seems like he might've been done pretty late into HftF's development and a lot of characters like him are comprised of reused assets. Characters like Rubber Soul who have like one or two moves unique to themselves but are otherwise solely made of already existing animations and sprites of characters they developed. It's very obvious this game was made in the 90s because of the massive amount of asset reuse in it that you would not see if this game was made today. In fact if this game was made today you wouldn't even see the Anubis characters playable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, it's kind of strange that they bothered making so many of these one-note guys into fully playable characters. Charming, but I didn't even remember that Kan existed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
HEY IT'S A VILLAIN CHARACTER

Devo Character Video

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Baal posted:

HEY IT'S A VILLAIN CHARACTER

Devo Character Video

This character is so forgettable that I forgot about him even though I rewatched Stardust Crusaders like a couple of weeks ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hahaha, yeah Devo's not super memorable outside of this game, but I think he's left an impression on me mostly through the game, him and a lot of other Part 3 chars.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I feel like Devo is kind of a weird choice for a playable character but all that maniacal laughter is [good]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK. I watched this drat series. I have no goddamn clue why anyone thinks it is good. Sure, the aesthetics are unique, the sound design is top notch. But it's so badly directed.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

OK. I watched this drat series. I have no goddamn clue why anyone thinks it is good. Sure, the aesthetics are unique, the sound design is top notch. But it's so badly directed.

I... what. How do you mean, bad direction?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I... what. How do you mean, bad direction?

I may be using the word direction incorrectly; but one thing that kept coming up, time and time again was 'X happens. Character Y says: "Incredible/Amazing/What/Impossible?! X just happened!"'. Alternatively, the characters made a grunting sound and just stood around for half a minute; sometimes with eyes vibrating. What is added to the story or conveyed by those scenes? It's all superfluous.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's part of the charm.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Samovar posted:

I may be using the word direction incorrectly; but one thing that kept coming up, time and time again was 'X happens. Character Y says: "Incredible/Amazing/What/Impossible?! X just happened!"'. Alternatively, the characters made a grunting sound and just stood around for half a minute; sometimes with eyes vibrating. What is added to the story or conveyed by those scenes? It's all superfluous.

Welcome to Anime.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's pretty much the stylistic choice - Jojo's pretty much the predecessor to all the common Shonen tropes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If Speedwagon didn't explain everything that happened how would you ever understand it?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

If Speedwagon didn't explain everything that happened how would you ever understand it?

If he didn't explain everything that happened, how would you be able to listen to him?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...but... isn't that just like... really crappy communication through art? I mean, animation is a visual/audio media; you communicate ideas and premises from what is shown on the screen - animation has the advantage in that EVERYTHING shown on the screen is under the control of the director. Hence, show, don't tell. I've seen THAT practiced in other Japanese media, i.e. the Seven Samurai, Rashomon, etc.

Am I alone in thinking that it is... really, really bad storytelling?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Samovar posted:

...but... isn't that just like... really crappy communication through art? I mean, animation is a visual/audio media; you communicate ideas and premises from what is shown on the screen - animation has the advantage in that EVERYTHING shown on the screen is under the control of the director. Hence, show, don't tell. I've seen THAT practiced in other Japanese media, i.e. the Seven Samurai, Rashomon, etc.

yes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My guess it stems from Jojo being a manga first and the anime wanting to stay true to the style and atmosphere the narration creates. You have limited pages, limited space and thus limited ways to visually describe villain of the week's unique power. But trust me, It's a strong example of the origins of a certain trope being the least obnoxious examples of it.
The grunting peanut gallery though is all for padding. It's pretty obvious when the story calls for an actual standoff.

But there are parts where it would be just a thousand times worse without. (see: Elder D'arby) And Like I said, it adds to the overall style of jojo, and jojo is nothing without style.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 15, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Samovar posted:

You also have to remember given the powers involved - some really complex and flashy poo poo that would take a million frames of animation to flesh out that they also have to conserve their budget for the "Money shot" battles - especially once stands come into the picture, otherwise they'll be using a ridiculous amount of money animating everything. If you're going through part 1, it's probably the worst. Part 2 and 3 handle their battle commentary better for a couple of reasons including Araki improving as a writer.

For example Joseph explains his attacks as a misdirection tactic, so while his opponent's paying attention to what he's saying, they don't see what he's doing - and being a trickster rather than a straight up brawler like Jonathan, there's the "Aah so that's how he's pulling the wool over their eyes" realization.

Part 1 is the earliest work, and it really shows from story-telling technique to characterization, it's got the seeds of the JoJo "Essence", which really only started to settle in Parts 2 and 3.

And as said, the narration is as much as part of the Jojo's image as the runway model posing and weird fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

Pretty much.

• Locked thread