Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
1.8 million coal and steel workers are about to lose their jobs in China, that's 15% of the workforce in those sectors so presumably their demand and output will fall by a similar amount. Even if they manage to avoid longer term economic consequences of this, a drop like that will probably gently caress our coal and iron ore exporters in the arse sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thatfatkid posted:

Sounds like they're gearing up for an election.

They'd want him around for an election though wouldn't they? Unless this is a bribe to get him to shut the gently caress up until after a DD in June.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Laserface posted:

Unless you eat some really potent cookies you are probably A-OK to drive after 4-5 hours.

at 12 hours they are still just using RDTs to catch people doing drugs rather than people actually stoned.

I smoke heaps of weed and I just sit at home and listen to music until bed time. Never would I get behind the wheel. I even feel sketchy driving after a big dinner and a single beer.

gently caress these laws.

Good to know we can base laws affcting every druggo in the country on your single annecdote

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What the gently caress is someone like that doing in the Labor party in Australia? Sounds like he'd be right at home at some Ted Cruz rally.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

katlington posted:

Druggo? Jesus christ grandpa

wadiyatalkinabeet?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I feel like arguing for things like support for unemployed people using economic justifications plays into the hands of right wingers. There should be enough ethical reasons to not allow people to starve on the street to not have to rely on economic ones. Apart from anything else it probably justifies the use of economic arguments for genuinely morally repugnant things.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's how private business works, right, they take on the responsibility for their own failings?

Only for the pleb tier businesses that can't lobby the government for a bailout or some favourable legislation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Blocked by Bad, after retweeting three non-@ tweets about her.

Does she google tweets that mention her name or something?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Windsor has confirmed he's running for the seat of New England.

Barnaby is making GBS threads himself

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Yup. No preference deal happening here.

Why do Labor people get so salty when the Greens do a preference deal with the tories? Have the ALP never done a deal with the LNP?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The ALP are scum, but not because they do preference swaps with the LNP.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Konomex posted:

He's actually kind of right. WA instituted extra funds to find teachers for STEM subjects because of a shortage. They even hired a good thousand teachers or so directly from the UK and the hole still grows. Sometimes you just have to offer more money. A lot more money.

I remember a few years back the Vic government cracked the sads because WA was boasting about making their teachers the highest paid in the country to lure more over from the eastern states.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm not. I want him to think he's a realistic chance of taking back the top job rather than flaming out and getting kicked out of the LNP.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bowmore posted:

Do you guys think fair go still exists in Australia?

Yes, but it costs a lot of money.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Whats the job situation like in NZ? I might apply for a few graduate jobs there, it seems nicer than Australia.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Was good when I lived there in 2010, no idea about now. The pay is a fair bit lower though.

That is fine as long as the cost of living is lower as well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

When you start thinking about it, the plebiscite's a very confusing thing for them to commit to.

I mean, we know that it will come back 'yes', because approval of it is so overwhelming--they know this. But even when it wins, they won't actually pass it, as evidenced by the fact they're calling a plebiscite instead of anything substantial. They can't really say 'well we've looked at what this would entail and it's just not feasible' partly because other big western countries have done the same thing with no issue, and partly because they proposed it themselves so even if there is a good reason (there's not) they'll have to answer why it didn't occur to them beforehand. The only way I could see them actually pass it is if it's so overwhelming in the affirmative that they can't ignore it, at which point the question would raise of 'why was that so loving hard'.

Every possible result of this reflects badly on the LNP:
-They withdraw the plebiscite at this stage, thus pissing off the majority that would have voted yes.
-They hold the plebiscite, it comes back 'legalize it you fuckheads', and they don't do anything, thus pissing off the majority that did vote yes.
-They hold the plebiscite, it comes back 'legalize it you fuckheads', and they pass it, thus pissing off the minority that voted no, most of which are their own supporters.
--When doing this, they don't get a whole lot of swing votes to their side either, because gay marriage's loudest (and only) critics in parliament are LNP. They also wasted everyone's time and money with an obvious question.

They can't win in this situation, and it's one they put themselves in.

It's confusing because as a party they're confused as gently caress about it. There are enough LNP MPs in favour of SSM that a conscience vote by both the LNP and the ALP would most likely see it passed, so they couldn't have that. Neither side within the LNP would willingly put up with the other getting what it wanted (SSM vs no SSM) so they tried to do the mature thing and compromise. The plebiscite is the result. I guess the Hard Right thought it would put off the issue for a while and maybe something would come up in the meantime to make it all go away, the Slightly Less Right can read the polls and figured it would legitimise their position.

FWIW I think it will lead to the LNP either going ahead with the plebiscite and half the party voting against SSM in parliament regardless of the result, effectively making it a conscience vote; or they decide against running it on the basis of the price tag and announcing they'll make it a conscience vote. I don't know which hurts them more, but neither will be pretty.

If it wasn't for the fact that a lot of peoples' mental health hinges on the issue I'd welcome it dragging on because the LNP have got themselves spectacularly wedged on the issue and it will be electoral poison for them until the Hard Right bite the bullet and stop holding it up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

BCR posted:

Battle begins over demands to make casual workers permanent

Link

1) This is a good thing that is finally moving
2) If you can join your union, do so
3) If you have any spare coins, think about putting it towards one of the unions fighting for this

Apologies if this has already coming up. didn't want to scan read 300 posts

This is cool. What is the SDA's position on it?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

If ALP-ites are so outraged at the Greens stopping debate on a gay marriage bill, why aren't they just as outraged that their own party didn't pass such laws when they had the chance a few years ago?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I think I got most of them right the first time

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

It's a trick! They're all potatoes.

gently caress

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Staff at the Sydney Morning Herald, the Age in Melbourne and the Australian Financial Review have walked out in protest and will stay on strike until Monday after owners Fairfax Media announced it will lose a further 120 journalists.

Fairfax Media posts $27.4m profit despite lower print advertising revenue
Read more
At emergency stop work meetings on Thursday journalists decided to take lengthy strike action to send a message to management that cutting more editorial jobs was the wrong strategy to save the business.

Staff voted to strike until the first shift on Monday. The action will affect the company’s online services and its Friday, Saturday and Sunday newspapers, a significant length of time for a staff walkout. Those on strike include 14 members of staff at the Age and SMH parliamentary bureau in Canberra. Journalists from the Canberra Times and Brisbane Times were also reported to have joined the action.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tithin posted:

So they posted a $27.4 million profit, but decide to cut journalism jobs?

It might be in response to cash flow or something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Recoome posted:

You can tell that George Christensen doesn't agree with same sex relationships because he uses the word "homosexual".

I'm waiting for his Santorum moment where he slips and says 'fags' or something

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Stop making poo poo up.

Then why didn't they legalise it when they had the chance a few years back?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Yes it could have been a debate. If the Greens voted for it on Tuesday. But they decided senate reform needed to be passed this week instead of after the budget.

The Government wanted the reform done to shore up an early election. The Greens are working with them to make sure that happens because they win with the reforms and a DD (one of the wins... no more SHY).

Those senate reforms are good though. As much as I've enjoyed Ricky Muir's time in parliament is it really right that someone who picks up a handful of votes end up in one of the most influential positions in the country?

Does Labour hate democracy? Or are they just so cynical that they'd use an unfair system to their own advantage?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

From what I understand it would have been far more coherent for labor to say "we have to delay senate voting because the Libs will use a DD to pass the ABCC (which the Greens don't support)" then whatever the gently caress happened this week

They probably decided that this way would achieve the same thing but hurt the greens too.

Isn't a DD highly unlikely anyway because the budget now can't be bought forward?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Post your watch.

Greens voted with the Liberals to stop a vote on marriage equality last night.

Wasn't it a debate they voted to stop, not a vote on the legislation itself?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ket posted:

Shhh... Let's not let facts get in the way of his spin against the Green Menace

And didn't the ALP vote down the same thing literally a day later for some reason?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

"I promise..." *checks watch*

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it. poo poo, I think this is the hardest I've seen ANY Australian politicians fight this hard for anything.

And it's to delegitimize a perceived enemy and potential voting reform that modeling says is a marginal improvement in representation. That's all. Not even to actually fight them either, just to poo poo all over them. What a waste of everybody's time.

I guess there's a fair bit at stake for them. I assume they're still scarred from the minority government experience of a few years ago, plus there's the DD and the ABCC which presumably ceases to have support if the LNP can't hang the threat of a DD over the cross bench senators.

Am I correct in thinking that if the senate reforms don't get passed this sitting the AEC won't have time to implement the changes before the DD window closes?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In more coal is good for humanity news:

quote:

The world’s largest private coal mining company is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, driven to the brink of collapse by plummeting energy prices around the world, cheaper and less polluting rivals such as natural gas, and widespread economic uncertainty.

US mining giant Peabody Energy announced in New York on Wednesday that it is facing the prospect of filing for bankruptcy protection, a legal strategy to shield it from its creditors while it restructures, after failing to make a routine interest payment on its debts.

The company, based in St Louis, Missouri, is a huge presence in American and Australian mining and was owned for a time during the 1990s by Britain’s Hanson plc industrial conglomerate.

Peabody Energy’s share price dived 43% on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday morning when the company revealed its difficulties to the market regulator the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

The share price plunged to $2.28 in morning trading. The company’s shares have already lost half their value in the last three months and 97% over the past year. The stock had previously hit a high of $299 a share in the first quarter of 2014.

The company said that it failed to make a $71m interest payment due on Tuesday and had a 30-day deadline to come up with the funds or there was a “substantial doubt” that it could continue as a going concern.

Anyone know how many Australian mines they own?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

clusterfuck posted:

Is there any chance that the ALP could figure "gently caress it, we've already copped our Royal Commission so how much worse can it get, let's back Dio Wangs call for a Federal ICAC with the Greens and send amended legislation back to the lower house to wedge the LNP on it's own legislation"? Because after a couple of beers that sounds kind of awesome.

It's a pretty bold move, so of course they won't.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shorten should poo poo it in if he sticks to demanding the LNP rule stuff out like the GP co-payment, do a Workchoices 2.0 campaign against the ABCC, talk about gay marriage, and most importantly keep bringing up that report on inequality they just released while linking it to the IMF's research showing less inequality leads to better economic growth.

Of course he'll probably just ignore the LNP and go after the Greens at every opportunity for some reason.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ending the HECS write-off from deceased estates worth over $100,000 would save up to $800 million a year, according to leading higher education analyst Andrew Norton.

This seems like some pretty hosed up modelling. How the gently caress do enough people die with HECS debts but still over $100k in their estate for it to save $800,000,000 a year. The article claims its non-working spouses in wealthy couples, but I'm struggling to imagine that is going to account for that figure.

Low income spouses in middle class couples more likely.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Becoming more and more obvious that Daniel Andrews has federal aspirations imo.

He'd go alright. He's not perfect and would probably turn into another Shorten in the pressure of the top job but he's definitely better than most of the current crop of senior ALP MPs

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Because I've been applying for every job I come across with no success yet?

Go to uni and make yourself more employable or something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Does your university have some job seeker support? A consistent lack of interest from employers might point towards something wrong in your resume or cover letter. Having people who actually care about getting you in a job (i.e. not JSAs) look over my cover letters and CV gave me a bunch of stuff to work on and also gave me a lot of confidence.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's hosed at the moment. So many people are looking for work that businesses get swamped with applications. One of the firms I'm about to apply to gets 12,000 applications for its grad programs across Australia and apparently across all organisations it averages out at nearly 50 applications for every graduate position. Seek is next to useless for a lot of companies because they get so many rubbish applications like the Newstart compliance ones that it isn't worth the effort of posting ads anymore. One of the handouts I got from uni reckons that 60% of vacant positions are in the so called 'hidden job market' and are filled by word of mouth or random, unsolicited applications. You can be the model employee with a decent CV and cover letter but sometimes the weight of numbers means people like that just get unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Goffer posted:

It's not that she didn't have the skill, she just had this awful generic letter that didn't even name the employer she was seeking employment from.

I'll see if I can generalise it with fill-in-the-blank sections and post it.

Exactly. Apologies if you're already doing this, but looking at the description of the job you're applying for, researching the company to find their values, direction etc, and then linking your skills, experiences and values to those is something they really look for these days. Even if it's just a 'Casual Sandwich Hand Wanted' type job, still talk about how much importance you put on customer service and attention to detail and all that poo poo.

• Locked thread