Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

So we're back to captain's calls.

Yeah, basically.

The extra funny thing is that he told a lot of people (eg Brandis, people in AG, other senior staff) before Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, basically.

The extra funny thing is that he told a lot of people (eg Brandis, people in AG, other senior staff) before Morrison.

He probably needed legal advice from them though.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

am i going to have to return to reading this thread for the election?

(((((((((((((((no)))))))))))))))

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

good.

gently caress that guy.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Is there any chance that the ALP could figure "gently caress it, we've already copped our Royal Commission so how much worse can it get, let's back Dio Wangs call for a Federal ICAC with the Greens and send amended legislation back to the lower house to wedge the LNP on it's own legislation"? Because after a couple of beers that sounds kind of awesome.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

clusterfuck posted:

Is there any chance that the ALP could figure "gently caress it, we've already copped our Royal Commission so how much worse can it get, let's back Dio Wangs call for a Federal ICAC with the Greens and send amended legislation back to the lower house to wedge the LNP on it's own legislation"? Because after a couple of beers that sounds kind of awesome.

there's no chance of the alp doing anything apart from disappearing upside their own assholes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Recoome posted:

Holy poo poo!

Good luck :)

Yeah I won't write anything except there was a lot of positive energy so yeah

For what it's worth, they both took it really well.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Abbott was just on Sky talking about how he's a huge fan of the Turnbull government because they're relying on the Abbott government's policies and track record.

I agree, Abbott should absolutely be invited onto more channels to explain this imo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ettin posted:

Abbott was just on Sky talking about how he's a huge fan of the Turnbull government because they're relying on the Abbott government's policies and track record.

I agree, Abbott should absolutely be invited onto more channels to explain this imo

I can't loving wait for Peta Credlin and Andrew Bolt both getting their own shows. It'll be the 24/7 poo poo on Malcolm channel.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cleretic posted:

:hfive:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ettin posted:

He's hosed if the LNP win the next election.

otoh, Labour'll send him a thank you card if they win.

Cleretic posted:

Nice

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cleretic posted:

noice

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Hell yeah, congrats dude.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

noice!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Cleretic posted:

And I'm home from the one in Melbourne. I'm not gonna write anything up, but suffice to say it was big, pretty amazing, and I'm going to come out to my best friends tonight even if it may be a bad idea because I think if I don't ride the energy off that I'll never tell them.

Oh poo poo! I guess it may well have already happened by now but good luck/godspeed.

edit: oh derp. Glad to hear :)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
may god mave mercy on ur souls, family

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Cleretic posted:

That's great to hear!

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Awesome work Cleretic!! I'm pretty sure it was you who was asking me for information about the snap rally/demonstration the other day.

If I helped with your process of telling people who you are, I feel so loving happy and delighted for you, you have strength and do not forget that.

It was a great show of force and compassion, and the last 30 hours of protesting in Melbourne have been truly invigorating. Over 20,000 people have protested for two very serious causes in Melbourne over the last two evenings, and it is always a truly great thing to be involved with.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Cleretic posted:

That's awesome. Really glad it went well.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

clusterfuck posted:

It's a pretty bold move, so of course they won't.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Cleretic posted:

Noice

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Redcordial posted:

Awesome work Cleretic!! I'm pretty sure it was you who was asking me for information about the snap rally/demonstration the other day.

If I helped with your process of telling people who you are, I feel so loving happy and delighted for you, you have strength and do not forget that.

It was a great show of force and compassion, and the last 30 hours of protesting in Melbourne have been truly invigorating. Over 20,000 people have protested for two very serious causes in Melbourne over the last two evenings, and it is always a truly great thing to be involved with.

Yes it was, and thankyou for that! It feels weird to say that I had fun, given the serious subject matter, but it was one hell of an experience. Something I never would've done when I lived in Adelaide, for so many reasons.

Parts of me do still hurt, though.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Oh, you don't live in Adelaide anymore? :cryingpipingshrike:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Was it this thread that was all "hurr the Government wont use the senate reform and ABCC to call a DD"?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ah you have gotten us again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

AgentF posted:

Oh, you don't live in Adelaide anymore? :cryingpipingshrike:

I got a job in Melbourne last month! Literally could not get interviews in Adelaide since there was no work in my field and more qualified people in others, but like the first job I applied to in Melbourne took me, which w as great.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm in London on my honeymoon and Tony Abbott was in the same pub as me. He even was pawing in the urinal next to mine. I didn't piss on him and I already regret it. He was laughing and talking really loudly and the bartender rolled his eyes. It was surreal

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

teacup posted:

I'm in London on my honeymoon and Tony Abbott was in the same pub as me. He even was pawing in the urinal next to mine. I didn't piss on him and I already regret it. He was laughing and talking really loudly and the bartender rolled his eyes. It was surreal

Shandy?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
No it was beer. I want to say peroni but couldn't be sure. He was with two guys so maybe was trying to act manly

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the lesson of the 2013 election that personal popularity/unpopularity doesn't matter? i.e. the public widely disliked Abbott but voted Liberal in a landslide anyway because 2PP is what matters to most people. Which would suggest Mal's personal approval rating is irrelevant.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

freebooter posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the lesson of the 2013 election that personal popularity/unpopularity doesn't matter? i.e. the public widely disliked Abbott but voted Liberal in a landslide anyway because 2PP is what matters to most people. Which would suggest Mal's personal approval rating is irrelevant.
I'm not sure you can take many lessons from 2013's election, it was pretty bizarre all round.

However looking at the opinion polls at the time of the election while Abbott was more "unsatisfied" than "satisfied", Rudd was polling worse. The election was called during the honeymoon period after Rudd 2 was installed and then his ratings plummeted during the campaign.

edit: Here's a wikipedia link for some opinion poll data:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Australian_federal_election,_2013

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I see this as someone with an unsuited 4 and 7 going all in in a bid to prevent people betting against them:

The reason people thought the ABCC legislation wouldn't be used as a DD trigger is because the coalition has a bad track record on IR legislation at poll time and it will galvanise the Unions and the ALP against them (at least to some extent).

That mix up with Morrison? That's the absolute tip of an iceberg. Malformed Turdball has grudging support at best from even his most loyal followers. Nearly half his party room are actively working against him. Whether or not the stakes of an election will pull people into line is just part of the gamble here.

Australians are suspicious of early polls and calling a DD on what is a non critical issue may be all it takes to flip a vote the other way. Which brings up the biggest problem of them all.

What is the central message of the Turdball re-election campaign? ABBC isn't about to cut it. Calling a DD on a small target 'But at least I'm not Blub Shartfart' is a conundrum that even disengaged voters will have trouble comprehending.

A week is a long time in politics and July may be a bridge too far especially if the budget is overplayed in either direction (ie) Pork/austerity. Lucky he's got treasury in safe hand...:laugh:

It's really unlikely but having the ALP Greens and/or cross bench defuse his trigger would make him look like an utter fool and probably rend him unelectable.

Those are the stakes. And if the amendments are to include organisations rather than only unions Malformed needs a bunch less of this in the next three months.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-22/medcraft-backs-funke-kupper-after-resignation/7265602

quote:

ASIC boss backs Funke Kupper in face of bribery scandal AM By AM business editor Peter Ryan Posted about an hour ago

The chairman of Australia's corporate regulator has taken the unusual step of publically backing the former chief executive of the Australian Securities Exchange, who resigned suddenly yesterday in the face of a bribery scandal. In a surprise decision, Elmer Funke Kupper quit over allegations surrounding a $200,000 payment to the family of Cambodia's prime minister while he was chief executive of the gaming company Tabcorp. The integrity of listed companies including ASX Limited is overseen by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). While not commenting on the Australian Federal Police investigation into Tabcorp's activities in Cambodia, ASIC boss Greg Medcraft told the ABC's AM program that Mr Funke Kupper's resignation was a sad loss. "It's very unfortunate. Elmer is a really creative, talented CEO. I think he's brought great vision to the ASX. It's actually a sad loss," Mr Medcraft said on Monday night. "I can't comment on what's happening there [the police investigation], but he's chosen to resign and focus on this issue. We must respect him for that. Clearly he's done what he considers to be the best for the company and himself."

While choosing his words carefully, Mr Medcraft pointed out the difficulty in proving foreign bribery allegations. "These are very difficult cases to prosecute, so I guess we'll just have to see how this evolves," Mr Medcraft said. The ABC attempted to contact Mr Funke Kupper but calls were not returned. However, the former ASX boss has been quoted as saying he "did nothing wrong" during his time as Tabcorp chief executive. In a statement released yesterday, ASX chairman Rick Holliday-Smith said Mr Funke Kupper was giving his "full focus" to the police investigation into Tabcorp. Mr Funke Kupper was scheduled to be on a panel at ASIC's annual forum in Sydney today but withdrew late yesterday after news of his resignation broke.
Because ASIC is in no way in bed with the people it supposedly oversees. Nah uh! No way!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cartoon posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-22/medcraft-backs-funke-kupper-after-resignation/7265602
Because ASIC is in no way in bed with the people it supposedly oversees. Nah uh! No way!

Federal ICAC now

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Cartoon posted:

What is the central message of the Turdball re-election campaign? ABBC isn't about to cut it. Calling a DD on a small target 'But at least I'm not Blub Shartfart' is a conundrum that even disengaged voters will have trouble comprehending.

My guess is that the budget will contain tax cuts left right and centre, coupled with a few innovative new ways to poo poo on the poor/asylum seekers/gays. It'll be a real crowdpleaser.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

Federal ICAC now

qft

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Good work! Hope you feel as though a lot of weight has been lifted off you like I did. :)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mithranderp posted:

My guess is that the budget will contain tax cuts left right and centre, coupled with a few innovative new ways to poo poo on the poor/asylum seekers/gays. It'll be a real crowdpleaser.

But the debt and deficit disaster, the adults in charge?!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cartoon posted:

I see this as someone with an unsuited 4 and 7 going all in in a bid to prevent people betting against them:

The reason people thought the ABCC legislation wouldn't be used as a DD trigger is because the coalition has a bad track record on IR legislation at poll time and it will galvanise the Unions and the ALP against them (at least to some extent).

That mix up with Morrison? That's the absolute tip of an iceberg. Malformed Turdball has grudging support at best from even his most loyal followers. Nearly half his party room are actively working against him. Whether or not the stakes of an election will pull people into line is just part of the gamble here.

Australians are suspicious of early polls and calling a DD on what is a non critical issue may be all it takes to flip a vote the other way. Which brings up the biggest problem of them all.

A week is a long time in politics and July may be a bridge too far especially if the budget is overplayed in either direction (ie) Pork/austerity. Lucky he's got treasury in safe hand...:laugh:

It's really unlikely but having the ALP Greens and/or cross bench defuse his trigger would make him look like an utter fool and probably rend him unelectable.

Those are the stakes. And if the amendments are to include organisations rather than only unions Malformed needs a bunch less of this in the next three months.

Based on shorten's time in opposition its like going all in on an unsuited 4 and 7 while your opponent is still reading the "how to play" card that comes in the deck.

The whole campaign is going to br about stimulating the economy and removing a senate thats preventing progress.

If all Labour has in their deck is the safe schools debate and tax cuts/hand outs for the poor they're not going to gain appreciable ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
They would need a coalition deal with the greens to stand a chance at forming govt.

• Locked thread