Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wonder if Cruz is done after today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I really wish there was something else I could post about US politics that wasn't primary-related so I could trick you into clicking a link to extremely important political information. :sigh:

EDIT: Also Al Franken at 102nd place overall? Truly the mighty really have fallen.

I have spent far too much time on this site in the last ten minutes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Zeroisanumber posted:

The fight tonight is probably going to be a fight for 2nd place. Trump will place first, and whomever places 2nd gets the party's full backing and resources while they try desperately to keep Trump from getting the nod. 3rd place is forced to suspend their campaign and fucks off to whine about it on cable TV.

Cruz looks to be the guy getting 2nd tonight.

So 3rd will get the backing, 2nd slink off, 1st they will keep pretending isn't happening

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really really really cannot loving wait for the White House Press Correspondent's Dinner.

Larry Wilmore is hosting. I don't trust Larry Wilmore to be as cutting as some others have been but here's hoping.

The Nightly Show has been and on and off again train wreck. Even when he's making good points I find a lot of the segments just kind of "meh"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Cruz looks to be the guy getting 2nd tonight.

So 3rd will get the backing, 2nd slink off, 1st they will keep pretending isn't happening

Not the first time in this race Rubio will have taken third and declared victory

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Radbot posted:

Spam can be good (spam musubi anyone?) but eating straight from the can and covering it with a disposable glove?

As somebody who's worked in a few labs and whose mom is a medical assistant, shoving half a sandwich or pastry into a glove to put in the fridge or using one in lieu of Saran Wrap is a time-honored practice.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/fdrlst/status/704752324539879424

They're absolutely losing their minds right now.

Too bad assholes. Reap what you've sown.

I read this article. I regret it. This is like the ur-crank.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Radbot posted:

Spam can be good (spam musubi anyone?) but eating straight from the can and covering it with a disposable glove?
Fried Spam sandwiches are pretty good. You have to heat the poo poo up so the fat isn't all solid, cuz that's gross.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As somebody who's worked in a few labs and whose mom is a medical assistant, shoving half a sandwich or pastry into a glove to put in the fridge or using one in lieu of Saran Wrap is a time-honored practice.

Do you at least use non-powdered gloves?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Edit: Norm Coleman is an opportunistic slimebag, but even democrats concede that he did a Great Good Thing by bringing NHL hockey back to Minnesota.

Norm Green is a motherfucker.

(That's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Boon posted:

Larry Wilmore is hosting. I don't trust Larry Wilmore to be as cutting as some others have been but here's hoping.

The Nightly Show has been and on and off again train wreck. Even when he's making good points I find a lot of the segments just kind of "meh"

I had to stop watching The Nightly Show. The panel format is horrible, his regular guests are loving morons, and the other segments fall flat 90% of the time. When he does make me laugh, it is usually him just talking about something that was funny on its own instead of him making it funny. I had such high hopes for the show, but I just cant subject myself to it anymore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I always thought those gloves had some sort of powder or something on them to keep them from sticking and to make them easier to get on and off but now just thinking about it that would defeat the whole purpose of the gloves in the first place.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

I've seen him do a lot of in-person talks about various things here in LA and he can completely destroy people when he wants to. It's just a subtle, smiling kind of destruction, which means we'll have an added layer of fun when his targets have no idea what's happening to them.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really really really cannot loving wait for the White House Press Correspondent's Dinner.

It's pathetic watching republicans run around with their hair on fire panicking that Trump is a bulletproof juggernaut after re-watching Obama and Seth Meyers humiliate him right to his face at the 2011 dinner.

Fried Chicken posted:

Ex-senator Norm Coleman is on CNN boostering for Rubio saying "It's not about winning tonight"

His campaign is bragging to the NY Tines (and donors and allies in a phone call) that tonight doesn't matter because they are set to fight on to the convention

How exactly does Rubio plan on fighting Trump at the convention if Trump crosses the delegate threshold and Rubio keeps coming in 3rd with no delegates to show for it? At that point it's pretty much game over, right?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Eschers Basement posted:

I read this article. I regret it. This is like the ur-crank.

I'm finding it amusing and absurd, to espouse this kind of world view requires a paranoid and damaged miseducated mind, to dream of emperors and repression in this manner takes a seriously level of intellectual isolation.

The deep and utter cynicism of humanity alone should make this person banned from having any power over anyone else and they're probably self aware of that, hence the contortions they go through to imply its impossible anyone could be better than anyone else at something.

"Elites!" They snarl, Kings atop their ideological hills of poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Fried Spam sandwiches are pretty good. You have to heat the poo poo up so the fat isn't all solid, cuz that's gross.

About once every three or four years I'll get it into my fool head to fry up some spam and make sandwiches. To date, I've never concluded the experience with thoughts other than, "ah, that reminds me why I normally don't do this."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

FCKGW posted:

I always thought those gloves had some sort of powder or something on them to keep them from sticking and to make them easier to get on and off but now just thinking about it that would defeat the whole purpose of the gloves in the first place.

Some types, e.g. latex gloves, have that, but other types, e.g nitrile gloves, do not.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have spent far too much time on this site in the last ten minutes.

Don't forget to check out the custom stat pages for each Congresscritter! Like his life in general Rubio can only ever get as high as second place. :mrgw:

Also USPOL has the weirdest FoodChat

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Captain_Maclaine posted:

About once every three or four years I'll get it into my fool head to fry up some spam and make sandwiches. To date, I've never concluded the experience with thoughts other than, "ah, that reminds me why I normally don't do this."

It's like White Castle, which only exists as a warning against itself.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Troy Queef posted:

Norm Green is a motherfucker.

(That's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact.)

You want to watch people from America's Canada turn from friendly provincials to "The Hills Have Eyes" in about 10 seconds? Say something nice about Norm Green.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Rhesus Pieces posted:

How exactly does Rubio plan on fighting Trump at the convention if Trump crosses the delegate threshold and Rubio keeps coming in 3rd with no delegates to show for it? At that point it's pretty much game over, right?

I believe the RNC could at last-ditch change all the rules at the convention so they become the "No Trumps" party (apart from Glumplich Trump, of course). It would be a terrible, wonderful shitshow to behold if they do so.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

I straight up didn't believe this until the holidays, when my family finally convinced me to try one. I was shocked. It was actually pretty good. Turns out it's mostly shoulder meat, not ground-up assholes and skin like I was assuming.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yet another piece of proof that we live in the worst timeline.

I dunno. Reading a book on the meetings Hitler had and he reassured (himself) that "America would never be Rome." It would be his Germany and his ideals. So the irony that his war and his death allowed the USA to become the next Rome is pretty loving awesome.

You know, aside from the millions dying.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's pathetic watching republicans run around with their hair on fire panicking that Trump is a bulletproof juggernaut after re-watching Obama and Seth Meyers humiliate him right to his face at the 2011 dinner.

Their pitch is that it is mathematically impossible for Trump to hit the delegate cap by April 1st.

I don't quite follow how that leads to their victory either, but there we are

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I dunno. Reading a book on the meetings Hitler had and he reassured (himself) that "America would never be Rome." It would be his Germany and his ideals. So the irony that his war and his death allowed the USA to become the next Rome is pretty loving awesome.

You know, aside from the millions dying.

Literally everything about Hitler's life seems as though it was meant to allow him to allllmost achieve his goals and then destroy them and him so completely that he ends up accomplishing the opposite of what he wanted to accomplish. (Although we have a lot of humans to thank for making sure that happened, of course.)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Their party, their rules. They can just keep on moving the goalposts to force a brokered convention if they really want to go down that path.

As I understand it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, right off the bat it asks me Ann McLane Kuster or Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Why you gotta do that to me man?

A couple clicks in and I get Louie Gohmert and Tim Walberg. Couldn't continue. I thought Martin Heinrich would be higher.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

showbiz_liz posted:

I straight up didn't believe this until the holidays, when my family finally convinced me to try one. I was shocked. It was actually pretty good. Turns out it's mostly shoulder meat, not ground-up assholes and skin like I was assuming.
It's right there in the (hosed up) name! Pork Shoulder and Ham!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They're not something I would normally just make, but I love them on camping trips for some reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just want the GOP to do whatever they have to to steal the nomination from Trump so that he proceeds to run independent and throw the entire conservative movement into a death spiral.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Their party, their rules. They can just keep on moving the goalposts to force a brokered convention if they really want to go down that path.

As I understand it.

Realistically they can't do that without triggering a Trump 3rd party candidacy, though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just want the GOP to do whatever they have to to steal the nomination from Trump so that he proceeds to run independent and throw the entire conservative movement into a death spiral.

Trust me, we're already there :getin:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It's right there in the (hosed up) name! Pork Shoulder and Ham!

They're not something I would normally just make, but I love them on camping trips for some reason.

Spam is excellent in kimchi stew

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

As I understand it.

If not for the fact I feel pretty confident that macroeconomic factors will make the next POTUS a one-termer I would almost want them to have Trump win the nomination, steal it for Rubio, and then lose to the Democrat in the general. Because what the party would do to itself then would be insane, make the past 8 years look like nothing in comparison.

Problem is we are heavy odds on to see a market correction just due to the general business cycle. And when that happens I see absolutely zero loving chance that congress will take any actions to alleviate it - more likely push austerity - and the Fed strapped for what they can do thanks to how weak the economy is already.

So if things go super crazy and we are in a depression when 2020 comes around... Holy gently caress it will be bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Though if a Republican wins, you're definitely going to get a Recession and a Depression because of the actions that a Republican Congress + President will push through. So I'll err on the side of "not giving power to all of those morons".

Plus there's no guarantee you'll win anything but the Presidency in 2020 either.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 1, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has already said that he won't run as an independent if he doesn't get the nomination and I see no reason to doubt his honesty.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

As I understand it.

If they do just end up flat-out stealing it from Trump on the floor of the convention I'll have to stock up on popcorn because the reaction will be a thing of beauty.

The Trump fans who are bound to show up in droves will NOT take that lying down.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

If not for the fact I feel pretty confident that macroeconomic factors will make the next POTUS a one-termer I would almost want them to have Trump win the nomination, steal it for Rubio, and then lose to the Democrat in the general. Because what the party would do to itself then would be insane, make the past 8 years look like nothing in comparison.

Problem is we are heavy odds on to see a market correction just due to the general business cycle. And when that happens I see absolutely zero loving chance that congress will take any actions to alleviate it - more likely push austerity - and the Fed strapped for what they can do thanks to how weak the economy is already.

So if things go super crazy and we are in a depression when 2020 comes around... Holy gently caress it will be bad.

I think that right now with how liberal the current generation that will be in it's 30's by then and how stacked in favor the EC is towards democrats, even with the market correction that's coming the only thing that will really sink democrats for years to come will be if there is some sort of grand bargain made.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If they do just end up flat-out stealing it from Trump on the floor of the convention I'll have to stock up on popcorn because the reaction will be a thing of beauty.

The Trump fans who are bound to show up in droves will NOT take that lying down.

One could even say they will stand their ground. :rimshot:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, let's take a break from the Super Tuesday madness and remember that in the day-to-day political realm, our government still really loving sucks:

quote:

While student loan giant Navient Corp. was at risk of losing a lucrative federal contract, the U.S. Department of Education conducted a bogus investigation into the company that led it to mislead the public last year, according to an audit by the department’s inspector general released Tuesday. The department contradicted federal prosecutors by proclaiming Navient didn’t cheat servicemembers on their federal student loans.

The scandal is likely to revive concerns about the department’s sloppy policing of the student loan industry and its cozy relations with loan contractors, many of which have employed former department officials. These contractors together receive about $800 million annually from taxpayers to collect borrowers’ monthly payments and counsel them on their repayment options.

The inspector general’s findings also could complicate the Obama administration’s efforts to convince the Senate to confirm acting Education Secretary John King Jr. for the post. President Barack Obama has repeatedly pushed the department to improve its oversight of loan contractors and their treatment of borrowers. The department, however, has renewed contracts with companies that its own investigators and other federal authorities determined had misled borrowers. Accountability has been rare.

"Today’s report is a stunning indictment of the Department of Education's oversight of student loan servicers, exposing the extraordinary lengths to which the department will go to protect these companies when they break the law," Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said in a prepared statement.

More in the link, vote for Trump, demolish the Dept. of Ed.

Seriously though, a sham investigation by the Dept of Ed. into the company formerly known as Sallie Mae, the company with its own rich history of scandals. What will those crazy government officials think of next?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

Though if a Republican wins, you're definitely going to get a Recession and a Depression because of the actions that a Republican Congress + President will push through. So I'll err on the side of "not giving power to all of those morons".

Plus there's no guarantee you'll win anything but the Presidency in 2020 either.

I wasn't advocating giving the morons more power; I log the equivalent of a second full time job working to stop that as it is. My worry is that come 2020 we will be looking at something that makes Trump look like FDR cruising to victory because of how a broken party chooses to sabotage the country to improve its own prospects

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

You want to watch people from America's Canada turn from friendly provincials to "The Hills Have Eyes" in about 10 seconds? Say something nice about Norm Green.

As a fan of another Norris Division team, Norm Green did more to ruin the greatness that was the Norris Division than Gary Bettman. And that takes some doing.

(Mind you, the new Central division of STL, WPG, MIN, COL, DAL, NSH, and those fuckers in Chicago isn't half bad, but STL/TOR/MIN/DET/the scum was just too perfect.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Realistically they can't do that without triggering a Trump 3rd party candidacy, though.

The GOP establishment and diehard free market taxes are the root of all evil business conservatives would rather burn it all down than hand the party over to Trump. Likely a combination of "well if I can't have it nobody can" and thinking that even if they lose this election they can gather up the pieces to rebuild the party afterwards.

• Locked thread