Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

So taste in music aside, those are my oldest mp3s. I deployed to Iraq late 2005 and lost all my music collection leading up to that except for apparently the mission impossible theme song, so the oldest mp3 I have is a Limp Bizkit song. What is the oldest mp3 you guys might have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
because of the way file metadata works the earliest date in my collection is 2012, but that was simply the date at which the data was salvaged after a catastrophic backup failure. I've had a continuous library since 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
2002 and its headstrong by trapt

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand. The Download site was too lazy to type the whole title in, and Google Search wasn't a thing yet :D

11/16/1997.

The key here folks is to look at the MODIFIED date, not the date created. That will be maintained even over multiple transfers :D

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 12, 2016

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

defaultluser posted:

Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand

11/16/1997.

The key here folks is to look at the MODIFIED date, not the date created. That will be maintained even over multiple transfers :D

that gets overwrote when you modify the metadata tags though, and as I'm a turbosperg from hell this happens once every five minutes

that's why I started tagging mo-year in the category field whenever I add more to the library

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't have any mp3s. I only listen to music in the car and my commute is short enough that I just listen to news.

I was an early napster user but lol about caring about music in your mid 30s.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
behind every spotify profile is a newb who failed to back up their music collection adequately in the 2010s :twisted:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think for my 16th birthday which would have been around 2001 I was given a brand new 40gb hard drive and it was awesome and i loaded all my music on that and it died within a week and i had no back ups and that was a pretty good lesson.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

defaultluser posted:

Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand. The Download site was too lazy to type the whole title in, and Google Search wasn't a thing yet :D

11/16/1997.

does it still play just the same? a 19 year old MP3 lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it appears to be a 2 second clip of the nemesis just kind of groaning. I'd've been 12 years old. possibly masturbation fodder?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

does it still play just the same? a 19 year old MP3 lol

Hey honey, why don't you come over for Netflix and chill and we can find out

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

defaultluser posted:

Hey honey, why don't you come over for Netflix and chill and we can find out

can I come too

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
2001 and it was "Bent" by Matchbox friggin Twenty

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Cartman singing Sail Away from 1999

super sweet you guys

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if anyone can beat 11/16/97

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

EX250 Type R posted:

I wonder if anyone can beat 11/16/97

now you're just asking for someone to use sorcery to change the tags on a file to Sid Vicious's regdate

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

That is pretty crazy old though because according to google

In 1997, Microsoft incorporated MP3 support into its Windows Media Player, and in 1998 the first portable MP3 players began appearing. Brandenburg recalls showing an early Korean-made MP3 device to acquaintances. Even people who weren't gadget freaks were fascinated.Mar 5, 2007

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

That is pretty crazy old though because according to google

In 1997, Microsoft incorporated MP3 support into its Windows Media Player, and in 1998 the first portable MP3 players began appearing. Brandenburg recalls showing an early Korean-made MP3 device to acquaintances. Even people who weren't gadget freaks were fascinated.Mar 5, 2007

Was using Winamp like any l337 hax0r. gently caress waiting for Windows to support things! But my sister got a Rio 300 the following winter, so I wasn't the only l337 family member!

I was just looking for something to do in the dead of Winter, with a new empty 6GB hard drive, and a school T1 line :D

I remember being fairly pissed at the piss-poor selection on most FTP sites, and the stupid ratios enforced.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 12, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that would require me to dig up my Rhapsody account from 2007. i don't even know if Rhapsody is still around.

i think it was either "Eat It" by Weird Al or "Smack That" by Akon

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

symbolic posted:

that would require me to dig up my Rhapsody account from 2007. i don't even know if Rhapsody is still around.

i think it was either "Eat It" by Weird Al or "Smack That" by Akon

it is, actually, somehow, though I think they are more into streaming now

good choices tho

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Everybody To The Limit.mp3
7/31/2002 10:58 AM

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am only posting because I am utterly confused that my oldest .MP3 is ALSO that Primitive Radio Gods track. But mine is from 1998. Pity. I remember my roommate letting me copy it off her. The very first .MP3 I ever had was Blumchen's cover of Queen's "Bicycle" that a dude downloaded to my computer from some German FTP site in 1997, but I was like "pfft I have Mod4Win, why would I want to spend hours downloading .MP3s?"

Edit: Stupid MP3Gain, tricking me into ruining the date-modified of almost my entire collection in 2004 :mad:

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

A clip of that interior crocodile alligator rap from 2008. I still listen to it when im messing with the levels on new audio setups

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I had a copy of Goldfinger - Superman downloaded from Napster kicking around my music collection until recently. That was probably from 99 or 2000.

Oldest file goes back to 96 or 97 though. There are still pieces of data on my computer from my parents' first Pentium 75Mhz Win 95 machine. Old school assignments and probably god awful self insert DBZ fanfic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The file name really gives this the extra authenticity imo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i should find my old mp3 players the last time i did it i had mp3s of like amon amarth and kalmah from 2004 or some poo poo and i got nostalgic about my angry viking music

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I dunno what exactly it was, but it was [something by weird al], late 2006.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"- Funny Teacher Yelling.mp3

control-alt-delete and log out!

Lies

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
My first MP3 was Beck - Devil's Haircut that I downloaded back in '98 when I first discovered FTPs and MP3s. Had a pretty rockin' .midi collection before then.

Man, I'd love to find that hard drive and see what all sorts of poo poo I was doing at that time.

[edit]

To those who still actually have their first mp3 on hand, what bitrate is it encoded at and how does it sound compared to a modern rip?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have any mp3s because they're illegal

Enemy Ace
Mar 14, 2006
"We stain the sky. We fight a war in heaven."
Old poo poo, I summon thee:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

i think some of those were my ex's downloads

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I made my first song in 2011 I think. It was a remix of Dirrty by Christina Aguilera.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jesus Christ posted:

To those who still actually have their first mp3 on hand, what bitrate is it encoded at and how does it sound compared to a modern rip?

128kbps, surprisingly enough. It tended to be the older files that people had encoded at 96k, newer singles were mostly 128.

The quality is good, but then this is a pure pop song with emphasis on bass and vocals. The synth percussion make it easier to encode as well.

Compared to the most modern version on Youtube, the bass track is muddy, the bells are a little less noticeable, and the reverb added to the vocal track is lacking. But otherwise the track sounds almost the same, which is exactly what mp3 excelled at! No audible artifacts either, but then this song was easy to encode.

I'm pretty sure all my old rock tracks with lots of different instruments will sound like hot garbage, but this one is a stand-out :D

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 12, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think my oldest MP3s were from some group from MP3.com. I think it was called "Aura - Source of Trance" and it was around 2002-ish.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

defaultluser posted:

11/16/1997.

Winamp spotted!!! A cool dude.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yup, the fourth track there is Sponge - Have You Seen Mary . It's 112kbps, and you can really tell :(

The song has a strong bass track, and the ending features powerful percussion.

At the beginning the bass track is empty in the mp3 version, and the vocals are missing something too. And after the track turns hard and the percussion enters, it's just a wall of deformed noise. You can't really make out the individual drums doing their thing like you can on the Vevo stream.

I'm pretty sure it still would sound bad at 128k.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

defaultluser posted:

nah i made a bunch of mp3s out of cds in the early 2000s but in like 2011 put my entire collection through a metadata corrector. probably re-ripped them to v0 or 320 or something too

also lol finding all of the dubstep circa 2011 because that poo poo was wild to lil old me who had never heard anything crazier than like daft punk

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

some "happy hardcore" rave poo poo from mp3.com called Vicious Yet Delicious by nrXic, Feb 13, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
My first mp3 was The Rockafeller Skank in 1998 and I ripped it myself from a CD I borrowed and compressed it and I was really proud that I figured out how to do that.

• Locked thread