Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

it's a simple question, are you going to keep living in this "world" of "cvilization" (civilization yet we still have things like isis, plane bombs, terror, hi jacks, chinese people eating old dead baby duck eggs??) or are you going to stop and maybe do things your way? are you going to mentally regress into living in the world of Reboot or what? Do you think bob, do you think enzo, do you think dot (equal opportunity in reboot, unlike in real life where women don't get a chanc ethey get no money for the same job) worry about terrorism no they worry about hexadecimal (strong female lead), megabyte, and the User they worry about playing games. Wow, bombings or fun computer games. When did we go astray the future was supposed to be reboot but instead now look at us hurting and fighting. Anyways, i stopped going to my job and answering the phone and I've just been playing games a lot and it's kind of an interesting and exciting social experiment. sometimes I catch myself on a loading screen and look down and sudden realize wow I'm having fun this is it, i'm making it, building this joy brick by brick. don't be afraid to live outside the system (not the operating system though lol gotta obey some rules)

anyways peace be unto you just a cool thought experiment to shuffle up your mind (you're living under laws that are social constructs lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bad Canadian anime ITT.

Edit: 90s were a long time ago but wasn't there a terrorist robot in this show? And every time real people won at videogames, a whole sector got nuked. OP's thesis is bad.

Colonel Cancer fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 28, 2016

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

last season of reboot really mixed things up

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bad Canadian anime ITT.

ya ok buddy i'm squinting real hard and i'm just seeing cool stuff and good times what is anime about this

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i can't afford the poll option for the thread btw so just include your choice clearly in your post thanks

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Yoga = yoga pants = good.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Real world, sorry. I need videogames with no consequences more than I need a world where videogame people are real.

PS: Your background makes no sense, adult Enzo and young Enzo co-exist in the last season but adult AndrAla and young AndrAla do not!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's clearly just a collage and not a real representation of the Canon timeline, jeez.

Also real world because as bad as isis is, at least random death cubes don't come down from the sky and nuke a city if the troops don't win some arbitrary battle. That's terrifying.

Show owns though.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Lol at a screenshot of a windows XP system with an open window of Gaia Online and deviantArt

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I pick Johnny quest world

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The real world has hamburgers in it, therefore it is my selection.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
My Dad met the creator of this show on a flight to Arizona. A few weeks after he returned I got a giant envelope stuffed with things from "Bob" the main character in the show. Stuff that would probably be really cool for a fan/collector to have now because it was clear most of it was made for the employees and staff working on it.

Also slightly related, my best friend dressed up as "Enzo" (the little boy) for one Halloween and it was the first year we were allowed to go alone and she got too excited about staying out as long as we wanted that she ended up holding her pee so long that she peed on someones doorstep and then ran to a ditch and lay down in it and cried while we went and got her parents. Going to have to remind her of that one today.

To answer the question though, real world. Reboot world genuinely terrified me as a kid. And now as an adult.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Can the Reboots have sex, OP? This is crucial to my decision.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

those guys never would have survived if i was the user, i'm just too sick at video games, it would have been genocide

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My favorite episode was when Reboot had to play Dungeons and Dragons but the TV guy kept being silly.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
That User really had a computer problem if every time he beat a game it damaged parts of his system

Like, jeez! Install Norton Antivirus maybe and run a system scan!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fonzarelli posted:

those guys never would have survived if i was the user, i'm just too sick at video games, it would have been genocide

Speaking of that, how does the game cube work in the case of open world or sandbox games where there is no "winner"? Do they get annihilated every time or none of the time?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Fonzarelli posted:

same, except im like 10x sicker than this guy even

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the opening sequence, Bob says "they say the User inputs games for pleasure..."

Why would they say that? What are they basing that conclusion on? They couldn't possibly have an insight into the User's motivations that they could know or even guess that games were a pleasurable experience.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Must suck to have literally never beaten a videogame because the desperate self-aware inhabitants are fighting for life and limb to stop you from annihilating their entire world.

I'd rather live in the real world.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

If they defeat the user once and the game ends, does that mean the user is rage quitting?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

reignofevil posted:

Must suck to have literally never beaten a videogame because the desperate self-aware inhabitants are fighting for life and limb to stop you from annihilating their entire world.

I'd rather live in the real world.

The user used to win all the time, it's only recently he started losing because Bob cheats on the computer people's behalf. They did an episode where Bob wasn't able to get to the cube in time and the sector was annihilated and everyone inside was turned into those slugs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i live in the reboot world every day, as the USER :twisted:

i love winning games

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Last season of reboot had internet poo poo, so I could just live on SA, so nothing will change.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Where it gets really confusing is the "game sprites" who are beings created by the game that have no corresponding character in the computer world. Which, if the game can do that, why incorporate computer citizens into the program? The whole point of Reboot is that the characters you see in games are actually "actors" who have real lives in the computer when you're not playing. If you're not gonna stick to that then why even bother?

They should have done it that everything that happens in the game is produced through the labor of the computer people working behind the scenes, IMO.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Speaking of that, how does the game cube work in the case of open world or sandbox games where there is no "winner"? Do they get annihilated every time or none of the time?

Even the idea of "Saved Games" was only this wild theory they wanted to look into some more back then, so they wouldn't know. Game science probably moved on since those days.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Where it gets really confusing is the "game sprites" who are beings created by the game that have no corresponding character in the computer world. Which, if the game can do that, why incorporate computer citizens into the program? The whole point of Reboot is that the characters you see in games are actually "actors" who have real lives in the computer when you're not playing. If you're not gonna stick to that then why even bother?

They should have done it that everything that happens in the game is produced through the labor of the computer people working behind the scenes, IMO.

the computer citizens simply serve as an external RNG function, kind of like basing loot drops off of a computers internal clock

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rutibex posted:

the computer citizens simply serve as an external RNG function, kind of like basing loot drops off of a computers internal clock

Hey, remember that time Enzo hosed up the internal clock?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Would unironically like to see a Reboot reboot done with updated graphics that goes more in depth with the concepts and also addresses how computer culture has changed since the show's original run.

It would probably have to be set in a different city though since a computer is good for like five years tops and the User has probably long since dumped Mainframe in the trash.

New Reboot could take place inside one of those sweet gaming rigs with neon lights and poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

It's probably cheaper to just use the regular citizens. The citizens are conscripts, while thr sprites are like special forces professional soldiers

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Would unironically like to see a Reboot reboot done with updated graphics that goes more in depth with the concepts and also addresses how computer culture has changed since the show's original run.

It would probably have to be set in a different city though since a computer is good for like five years tops and the User has probably long since dumped Mainframe in the trash.

New Reboot could take place inside one of those sweet gaming rigs with neon lights and poo poo.

New reboot would take place on the internet and instead of games it would be more like a workplace comedy where they work in a pumping station for dank memes

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

It's probably cheaper to just use the regular citizens. The citizens are conscripts, while thr sprites are like special forces professional soldiers

That would make sense. Like, the game sprites live on the floppy disk when the game isn't running and the floppy disk could be like a dropship or something inside with all the game sprites prepped and ready to go.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bad Canadian anime ITT.

Edit: 90s were a long time ago but wasn't there a terrorist robot in this show? And every time real people won at videogames, a whole sector got nuked. OP's thesis is bad.

no bonzi buddy has ever had a good opinion about anything

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

That would make sense. Like, the game sprites live on the floppy disk when the game isn't running and the floppy disk could be like a dropship or something inside with all the game sprites prepped and ready to go.

And you dont see them walking around because they have to be kept segregated to minimize the incidents of bar fights and rapes

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

And you dont see them walking around because they have to be kept segregated to minimize the incidents of bar fights and rapes

lol yeah.

It would make a pretty good episode for Bob to end up sucked back up into the floppy disk and involuntarily drafted to fight as a game sprite by the crew and he has to figure out a way to get back to Mainframe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear creators of Reboot please read my fan scripts.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

LadyAmbien posted:

she ended up holding her pee so long that she peed on someones doorstep and then ran to a ditch and lay down in it and cried while we went and got her parents. Going to have to remind her of that one today.

wow she really committed

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

bob never played meet n' gently caress but good luck if u think an anime lady trained by Phong wouldn't rek u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In my Reboot reboot, the computer world would be run by a bloated bureaucracy a-la Brazil and most of the computer people would work shuffling paperwork around. Also there would be no computers because it doesn't even make sense that a person who lives inside a computer would be able to use a computer (do even tinier people live inside those computers? Is it tiny people all the way down?) so, ironically, the computer people live in a world driven by physical labor and analog mechanisms.

• Locked thread