Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thank you so much for doing this. I hope this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

After chatting to the mod to clarify our positions - there will be no point where we simulwatch nisemonogatari - either as part of a joint thread or an individual thread. At the relevant time I will write a full summary of both arcs.

Nisemonogatari is the worst of monogatari and contains a creep factor exceeding any other part of monogatari even when you exclude the bathtub and toothbrush.
So...What? We skip right to second season when we finish the first?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

No, because that's not how this is supposed to work anyway.

Namtab and Droyer approached me with the idea of doing a joint-simulwatch, but the full length of the proposed shows would run for quite some time. I convinced them to hold a smaller simulwatch first, covering merely the first season of Bakemonogatari and the OVA and film continuity of Patlabor. Whether we decide to continue from there or not, this thread will be a stand alone enterprise. Should we continue, a new thread will be cooked up and posted.

And yes, should we move forward, we will be skipping Nisemonogatari - for which I must apologize for the confusion since we sorta forgot to discuss it specifically. A future thread would start off with a brief synopsis covering only the important bits from that season, as much of the rest is deservedly infamous and occasionally reprehensible.
I might need a full list of these acts of infamy, because I only thought episodes 2 and 8 seemed questionable to me last time around.

Other than that everything sounds like fun.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 28, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Apologies for the derailment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT EXPECT THAT!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Command Ant posted:

I've been meaning to watch Bakemonogatari for a long time now, and this is as good an excuse as any. The way that some people* make it sound like a series we should be talking through our lawyers about is making me look forward to it.

I've already seen Patlabor, a long time ago, but sure I'll watch it again.

*: Not naming names
If the purpose of those episodes was comedic gold through crossing the line twice, then they succeeded.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do suppose that a livechat with/without a video stream would be nice to have.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

An hour and ten minutes to go. Do we have a chatroom?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Having recently watched the first 8 episodes, I shall nonetheless enjoy this thread immensely even before the rest have caught up.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

Btw this first bit is all kizumonogatari
Kizufinally.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This was the moment this show got my undivided attention.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

May Senjougahara never suffer again.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I personally find the strings OST in Nise and beyond to be my favorite.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spoilers buddy.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For some reason that ED always struck me as off-tone/key. :shrugs:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jostiband posted:

So hey, it turns out Bakemonogatari is a lot easier to follow when you aren't really tired and also trying and failing to pay attention to a fast moving thread!
It's still really goddamn pretty and captivating though. A+ would rewatch again.
We will again within 3 hours and 15 minutes. :yeah:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And now I have dozens more fellow fans of this show.

Also has nobody mentioned that the best girl confessed within 5 episodes, absolutely contrary to most other shows airing these days?

The scene bloody cured my depression twice.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kylra posted:

I said she knows what she wants.

It was refreshing even if the dialogue is still intentionally odd.
I found it amazing. I swear you could make perfect filler with those two conversing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kylra posted:

It might sound extra odd to me because there's no way I'd talk to even the nicest seeming guy like that, alone, face to face in real life, and without probing a bunch of other things first to make sure he wouldn't do things I don't want.

The way they interact just makes me a little uncomfortable because it's a bit of a danger situation for me in real life. Nothing I can't get past, but it lingers in the back of my thoughts the whole time, and I'm not gonna pretend that doesn't exist.

It's not being played for laughs or even for the undoubtedly sexy, so I don't really have a major artistic issue with it though. Their whole body language for those moments is kind of unnerving and unnatural, which helps play up the seriousness.

Yeah. I like that too, and am enjoying that quite a bit so far.

Wait. If I have no problem with that scene and think that her spite is awesome to behold, must there be something wrong with me - from your perspective?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm pretty sure it's tomorrow 4/8 at 7pm EST.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out for the time being. I have so much lovely college work over Mexican border horseshit that I will not be able to attend to this tonight. Even though it's loving Friday.

I'll post my thoughts whenever I manage to work this in.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You know what really sounds great with 80s anime like Patlabor?

A kickass Rush album.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have never watched the ed until now. Ive been blaspheming all this time. :gonk:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i mean idg how you'd somehow make it through two hours of the show and a) not see what it has going for it (nisio's witty dialogue, otherwordly and varied visual style, shinbo directing, great OST) and b) be completely turned off by a single tasteless line
:justpost:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I guess we start without Namtab this time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Namtab posted:

Girlfriends araragi has: 1
Girlfriends the typical goon has, has had, will have: 0
Does Prom with a Gahara expy count? :getin:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darox posted:

It also lacked Senjougahara, who has been pretty tied into the previous three arcs. It makes Nadeko Snake feel more like filler.

A lot of second season feels like filler if you put it that way.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am not yet ready for episode 12.
Are you sure we're doing it right after episode 11?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I may or may not need to watch this at a later time or date; Work for finals, Dark Souls 3, etc.

But I most certainly will get back to this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

One thing I may never understand:

WHY DIDN'T THEY SHOW THEM KISS!? SHAAAAAAAAFT!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It is literally the only pairing in anime that I will gush about and defend to the very death. Nothing has yet come close in perfection.

• Locked thread