Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
im just saying aatrek was into older girls than david bowie was

and they were both "living in the stars as star trek man" makes you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

reallivedinosaur posted:

im just saying aatrek was into older girls than david bowie was

and they were both "living in the stars as star trek man" makes you think

aatrek forcibly molested a preteen. now im not a doctor but im pretty sure fifteen is older than a preteen

basically youre retarded and your shits all hosed up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the Beatles are gods. i like every single song they have made, it is all pure gold. no other artists have come close to that, most can produce one good song. better ones can come up with 4-5+ good songs. not the Beatles, they some how bat 1.000

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
whatever you do please don't listen to canadian music like that one guy said

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

a messed up horse posted:

whatever you do please don't listen to canadian music like that one guy said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuGGNsE3_8Y

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this sucks

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtySGSuKZe8

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"david bowie consensually took my virginity 40 years ago and it was one of the best times of my life and has not negatively impacted me"

"a butter golem trekkie forced himself on a preteen he was babysitting in a captive situation"

hmm yes these are clearly equivalent crimes

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Jimmy Page dated a 14 year old, Bowie hosed a 13 year old, Bill Wyman 14.

Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin both had lyrics about loving teenagers. "Baby groupies" were a thing.

It's amazing the backflips people will do to defend their heroes. I guess that's why guys like Jimmy Saville or Jerry Sandusky are so emboldened to go do whatever they want - they get away with it and have fans to defend them to the end of time.

Hell, even Jared the Subway Man had enough celebrity cred to go out and eat fresh.

Gross, if you ask me.

But I guess ziggy stardust was a good album so it all evens out.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Heath posted:

"david bowie consensually took my virginity 40 years ago and it was one of the best times of my life and has not negatively impacted me"

"a butter golem trekkie forced himself on a preteen he was babysitting in a captive situation"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I know.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

reallivedinosaur posted:

Jimmy Page dated a 14 year old, Bowie hosed a 13 year old, Bill Wyman 14.

Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin both had lyrics about loving teenagers. "Baby groupies" were a thing.

It's amazing the backflips people will do to defend their heroes. I guess that's why guys like Jimmy Saville or Jerry Sandusky are so emboldened to go do whatever they want - they get away with it and have fans to defend them to the end of time.

Hell, even Jared the Subway Man had enough celebrity cred to go out and eat fresh.

Gross, if you ask me.

But I guess ziggy stardust was a good album so it all evens out.

i dont listen to them loving 13 year olds, i listen to their music

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
give peas a chance

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ButteCysts posted:

give peas a chance

Depends. What quality do these peas possess?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

comes along bort posted:

that mostly came from george rr martin who taught them a few tin pan alley songwriting tricks

I forgot about that guy. He was pretty great, RIP

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Rutibex posted:

i dont listen to them loving 13 year olds, i listen to their music

man who is banging a 14 year old posted:

From the window of your rented limousine, I saw your pretty blue eyes
One day soon you're gonna reach sixteen, Painted lady in the city of lies.

Oh, do you know my name? Do I look the same
You know I'm the one you want. I must be the one you need, yeah

Clutching pages from your teenage dream In the lobby of the Hotel Paradise
Through the circus of the L.A. queens. How fast your learn the downhill side

You know I'm the one you want. I must be the one you need,.

Lips like cherries and the brow of a queen, Come on, flash it in my eyes
Said you dug me since you were thirteen,Then you giggle as you heave and sigh.

You know I'm the one you want. I must be the one you need.

Hours, hours, and the moments in between, Oh, baby, I couldn't count the times
the fun of comin', oh the pain in leavin', Baby, dry those silver eyes

You know I'm the one you want. I must be the one you need,

Ooh, that's right.

i prefer songs about grown women with big ole titties and gigantic asses

like wu-tang they never let you down and are the true da vincis

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

reallivedinosaur posted:

:shrug:
man, i've read roman history. these guys are saints compared to lots of people we still build marble statues of

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
neil sedaka has a song and it's all about how.. well let's just post the lyrics

Neil Sedaka, in his late 20's, posted:

Tra la-la-la-la la-la-la-la
Happy birthday sweet sixteen
Tra la-la-la-la la-la-la-la

Tonight's the night I've waited for
Because you're not a baby anymore
You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen,

What happened to that funny face
My little tomboy now wears satins and lace
I can't believe my eyes you're just a teenage dream

When you were only six I was your big brother
Then when a you were ten we didn't like each other
When you were thirteen You was a funny valentine
But since you've grown up Your future is sewn up
From now on you're gonna be mine, so

If I should smile with sweet surprise
It's just that you've grown up before my very eyes
You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen

If I should smile with sweet surprise
It's just that you've grown up before my very eyes
You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen

Tra la-la-la-la la-la-la-la Happy birthday sweet sixteen

So yeah. that sure is a thing. entertainment biz? all meN? taking all bets

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
you cant separate the art from the artist because they are making it out of THEMSELVES that is how art works and anyone who tries to say different doesnt know wtf theyre talking about

I cant even listen to kanye west cause he is a regular moron and this retard is shrugging his shoulders at some pre-teen gently caress song like i dont care man it's got a good groove fine by me

bowie sucked anyway him surviving another 30 years to make tedious old person music while freddie mercury died so long ago is one of music's biggest travesties, make that trade any day of the week.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Beatles had such a huge impact on my taste in music that their songs are always going to be special to me on some really fundamental level where perhaps i can't give them the sort of objective criticism they deserve. They were basically my introduction to listening to grown-up music in general when before that all I listened to was video game MIDIs on my lovely Gateway. In spite of having no conscious exposure to them at all as a child I had enough awareness through cultural osmosis to recognize some of the references to them in EarthBound for the SNES which made me go seek out their music when Napster became a thing. That's my story, thanks

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

nope, the Beatles are the best because they sound the best. money is just a secondary consequence. like shakespear

i'm sure your tastes in hipster music are very refined, but you clearly dont know rock

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
everyone in this thread is a loving jackass

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Controversial opinion: Bowie had no business banging 15 year olds.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
regardless of the bad poo poo bowie and lennon did, how does that affect their contribution to music?

a lot of the greek philosophers were child molesting slavers, so what?

people seem to confuse "artists who made a lasting effect on world culture" and "people I would like to hang out with".

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

SunAndSpring posted:

lmao this is one of my favorite things to read, hes just so angry at them beetles

reallivedinosaur posted:

i see quite a few of the 9 generals on the reg and the truth is, seeing your heroes in person will always let you down. when you watch method man pay for a blimpie sub at the mall in change and when he comes up short, offer to give the cashier some weed too, it's a bummer. when cappadonna sees you waitin for the train and asks you for a smoke, then asks you for a couple more for the road, then asks if you know anyone who'd want him to do some guest verses 50 a verse for an almost o.g. general thats a dope price yo why you walkin away?, it sucks. when you see ghostface killa stick his dick inside a child, yeah it makes you frown and shake your head. finding out that your heroes are human is always awful.

Heath posted:

lmao

bowie made some ofmy favorite music. i'm sad to learn he was a bad bad man with a bad bad dick. i always thought he only did dudes until like the late 80s and suddenly he realized he was a closet heterosexual. truth is stranger than my brains fiction i guess.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Profondo Rosso posted:

calling a rock star having consensual sex with a 15 year old groupie in the 70s a child rapist is disingenuous at best and insulting to victims of child rape at worst

Calling this guy who raped a child a child rapist is unfair to raped children- your dumb rear end

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

man gbs trolls are pathetic old losers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
also lol at the guy comparing the 1970s to Ancient Greece

Look man it was a different time, the long ago 1970s when we went to witches to cure an imbalance of the humors and sacrificed goats to the old gods we just didn't know any better.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Mel Mudkiper posted:

also lol at the guy comparing the 1970s to Ancient Greece

Look man it was a different time, the long ago 1970s when we went to witches to cure an imbalance of the humors and sacrificed goats to the old gods we just didn't know any better.

u suck

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

tbh Yes - Roundabout puts every beetles song (beetles left intentionally uncapitalized and misspelled because there gay) to shame

this is true and also the beatles are bad

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Great, but this isn't the Beatles Are Bad thread, this is the Beatles Are Good thread. If you want to talk about how objectively bad you know the Beatles are, go make a lovely Beatles thread and post in it. If you want to talk about John Lennon hitting his wife or David Bowie diddling a groupie then make the Male Musicians Behaving Badly thread.

The Beatles were a good band.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King Vidiot posted:

Great, but this isn't the Beatles Are Bad thread, this is the Beatles Are Good thread. If you want to talk about how objectively bad you know the Beatles are, go make a lovely Beatles thread and post in it. If you want to talk about John Lennon hitting his wife or David Bowie diddling a groupie then make the Male Musicians Behaving Badly thread.

The Beatles were a good band.

they're bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The Beatles were the Mozart of music

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

you cant separate the art from the artist because they are making it out of THEMSELVES that is how art works and anyone who tries to say different doesnt know wtf theyre talking about

I cant even listen to kanye west cause he is a regular moron and this retard is shrugging his shoulders at some pre-teen gently caress song like i dont care man it's got a good groove fine by me

bowie sucked anyway him surviving another 30 years to make tedious old person music while freddie mercury died so long ago is one of music's biggest travesties, make that trade any day of the week.

Lol you're such a lil bitch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Profondo Rosso posted:

Lol you're such a lil bitch

uh oh watch out David Bowie might want to rape him then!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think corpses have the capability to rape but I could be wrong here

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

is a mudkipper the Harry potter people that kept getting holocausted for being magick Jews? can't remember the movies well since I stopped smokin and tokin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

is a mudkipper the Harry potter people that kept getting holocausted for being magick Jews? can't remember the movies well since I stopped smokin and tokin

No its a water-type NFL draft analyist

• Locked thread