Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

No objections to this set.

Theantero posted:

Helm: West 5
--Let's boost over there to get it all quick like.
Weapons: No Shooting
Damage Control: Nothing
Sensors: Scan object at F12
--Probably the next one we should try and pick up
Engineering: Divert power to Engines
--Will have to do this if we want to get to the sample quickly.Sure, we can't tractor just yet but eh, you can't have everything. Unless you have one of those fancy navy turboboosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

Helm: South 3
--This thing is in range so let's nab it.
Weapons: No Shooting
Damage Control: Nothing
Sensors: Deep Scan Nebula
--Bonus objectives!!!!! let's not screw this up this time around! Scan before moving!
Engineering: Divert power to Sensors
--Let's see what this orange nebula does.

This

Next turn we can move into and scan the black nebula: using it to hide the warming of the jump drives is a good idea if our theories about its properties are true. Don't think we'll have time to scan the Red nebula if the contacts are hostile, but 4 nebulas scanned and four samples taken should be enough.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We should get our Jump Ship Into the black nebula before charging: hopefully it's sensor dulling properties will hide it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guys: We can be done with our objectives in 3 turns: we need to start getting ready to jump NOW.

Helm: East 5
Weapons: Nope
Damage Control: Nothing to do
Sensors: Scan red nebula (once we've arrived)
Boost: Engines to max!
Sarama Jump: Yes

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I didn't think scanning a nebula required a deep scan: I'll amend my orders to follow Theantero's plan, since that also works to get out in three turns.

[Helm] East 3
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O6
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] None
[Sensors] T02
[Sarama] Charge Jump, meet us at N3

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

This sounds good, but can we even GET to N06 without boosting, due to the nebula we're currently in?

As far as I know, the nebula restricts movement into a square containing it, not out. Confirmation from gravedust would be nice though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'd have to go with the Engines Upgade (the faster we get to places, the faster we finish our mission and get home) and a Advanced Probe Bay

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well, on one hand we're going to have to fight the SKO destroyers at some point, and we want to join the fight while they are also fighting the JRN cruiser. We also want to our ship to not be half-way to blowing up when we do move out. One more turn?

Also: can we deploy signal beacons during our movement or only when we start/end? And do we suspect that jumping into the black nebula was dangerous as jumping into the red one was?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

We have a bunch of the Tone 1 beacons (safe egress point here), so we can use them whenever we find a good spot. Granted there isn't any around till we go further north but we don't have to be stingy with them.

[Helm]: North 6
[Weapons]: Stay alert
[Damage Control]: Phason Cannon 1
[Sensors]: Scan J14 K14 (thanks Malda I swear I totally know how to read a sector chart...)
[Engineering]: Boost Engines
[Comms]: Encrypted Tightbeam to SKO destroyer: I understand you have orders to quarantine the area; but I have orders to reach the core object. I'm sorry, but I hope you'll understand.

[Majkaüe]: West 3, Deep Scan E19

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Great. I could have had a nice cushy job with the Association of Space Stevedores but NO, I have to be here, getting chased by a space wolfpack on some ridiculous quest. Goddamnit. But otherwise, let's just go with Judith's plan."

"I wonder though, why are you guys so stingy with the beacons? J19 would have been a really nice place to drop one. Like, if you guys would take a look ahead, viable spots to drop them will get sparser and sparser."

[Majkaüe]: Deep Scan O23, then move North 6.
-Like, guys, these people are trying to murder us. We SHOULD figure out what weapons they are carrying and how fast they can go.

Beacons say that a 3x3 grid around that point is safe for jumping, and one of those squares around J19 had an nebula in it. Jumping into nebulae is bad, as we have proven. There's that big clear patch at the top of the sector map which would be nice for Beacons though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

"...Now is that so? I did some doodling, and here are all the valid squares we could potentially drop beacons on, with a dot representing a valid square, with the outlined areas showing all the squares we could potentially paint as safe."

"Yeah, somehow I think you're mistaken, since the 3x3 grid idea leaves us a whopping ONE spot to drop a beacon to above row 15."

"That, or command is a bunch of bunglers. Which would not surprise me."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771019&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post461082455

What else do you expect from Command?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As much as I want to help fight the Skes, that is not our mission. Northwards bound! (well west first to get out of the way of the yellow nebula)

[Helm]
: West 3
[Weapons]: Nope
[Damage Control]: Shield Gen
[Sensors]: Scan o4
[Engineering]: Power To Engineering, Tractor Beam Orox Escape Pods into Cargohold

[Probes]
Dump however many Tone 1 we need for the cyropods, and then place on Tone 1 at G09
[Majkaüe]: Full speed 'north' into next sector, then send big scan back to mothership Laucustrine! Scan e3 when on way.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

While I hate the delay this has caused to our mission, it is our duty as fellow starfarers to rescue crews of ships in need. I'd hoped to get this sorted in a turn, but if we have to slow ourselves down for this, I will. Leaving the crews in their cyro-pods in the cold darkness of space, inside a anti-scanning nebula, is a betrayal of all codes of honour and decency.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

-----In Order-----
[Beacon] Deploy 2 Tone-1 at F09
[Engineering] Tractor Beam
[Tractor Beam] Tractor slab from F08
[Comms] Allow normal traffic.
--Tightbeam to Orox Transport-- Trying to convince my crew to take you guys along.
[Damage Control] Cargo1
[Helm] 3 East (I09)
[Sensors] Nebulae at F10
[Weapons] Track podships but no firing yet.

[Majunga] East 6, scan O04 deeply
[Probe 2] South 4, Deep Scan O11 (Nebula)

edit

[VIA] Uh.... who gets to name the Probe something silly this time?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alas. I didn't mach Hbar's record, but I got close with the Lacustrine. Still, introduction of hull points adds alot, although I personally kept my boost on engines the whole time and kept my side to the podship horde: they couldn't hit me due to not tracking the faster speed or something.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

Looks like the fastest course is straight up the left side. We'll lose shields, but it's better than burning up in the hazard zones or getting crushed by an anomaly. We just need to send a probe west so we don't get surprised by anything from the next sector. We can put a beacon at C2, maybe A20 or 21 too. Mickey can go for the Warlock, assuming the Kaon let it through the choke point.

[Helm]: North to F26
[Damage Control]: Phason Cannon 2
[Sensors]: Scan E20
[Weapons]: Watch out for stealth ships.
[Probe Bay]: Launch Probe3 after moving. Rename Probe3 to Bizi.

[Majkaüe]: North 3, deep scan K19
[Scuzzy]: North 6, deep scan C29

[Comms]:
[tightbeam to Kaon]: "Greetings, this is the human frigate Lacustrine. We come in peace to investigate the core event. We're interested in establishing diplomatic relations with the Kaon, if such a thing is possible. We stand in awe of your superior knowledge."

Looks good to me

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

When this thing destroys our ship, I'm sure command will be glad to know that at least we didn't waste any probes examining these things. Oh wait, they'll be lost with the rest of the ship, well dang.

Helm: West 3, let's get on with the mission instead of committing suicide.
Weapons: Keep shooting at the thing, sure.
Damage Control: Engine 3
Engineering: Boost Damage Control, unless engineering boost is needed to boost the processing of Makaue's scans.
Sensors: Scan G17

Majkaue: North 5, keep scanning the Kaon, A: Yes boost processing!
Scuzzy: Scuzzy come home.

Comms: To Golden Spear - If our ship implodes, that means it's a bad idea to put gravitic anomalies inside your ship. It's been nice knowing you.

Seems sensible

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Abyssal Squid posted:

Helm: North 3. If we go full speed ahead we'll hit the orange nebula before our shields have a chance to recharge at all, but if we remember to go slow here then there won't be a chance of forgetting about that problem.

There's a blue nebula before the orange, so we can't hit the orange next turn regardless. Just go North 6

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The hazard zone can do up to 10 damage a square: we regen 4 shield points per turn. I would not head anywhere near it with the ship in the current state, just stick to the plan of going up the left side.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

"Yeah I told you guys about messing with the ominous space octahedron. Did you listen? NO!"

"But anyways, I say we just go with our old movement plan here. Also, we should probably have Scuzzy docked whilst we pass that corrosive nebula. It seems strong enough to just wreck it almost instantly."

-----Orders-----
[Helm]: North 6 to B15
-- Yeah just keep going. Skes on our trail etc.
[Damage Control]: Adv. Probe 1
--As much as I'd like to fix my hold, this is some high-tech equipment right here that is fairly close to being wrecked.
[Sensors]: Scan I13
--Might as well. The only thing in range
[Weapons]: Feel naked and inadequate due to our severely diminished firepower.

[Majkaüe]: East 6, Deep Scan W9, This is our chance to figure out what happened to Warlock. Let's take it.
[Scuzzy]: North 4 to A11, deep scan B4. B4 should definitely be checked before we go too much further in case it is yet another hidden anomaly. Also, Scuzzy should stop at this subsector until we park next to it to pick it up.

Looks good

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

I forgot that's how speed's decided. We're really lucky the hazard was weak.

[Helm]: North 6. Just don't hit the anomaly, the subsector should have plenty of room to maneuver around it.
[Damage Control]: Engine 1
[Sensors]: Scan I6
[Weapons]: You still have a gun! Have a few drinks to celebrate, I won't tell.
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at B9 as we pass through. As usual, attach an encrypted copy of our logs for human ships.

[Majkaüe]: Deep scan W11, North 3. Relay comms with Warlock.

[Comms]: [encrypted to Warlock AI] This is the Lacustrine. Do you have any logs or useful information you can send? Any last words before we activate your self-destruct? If you want an upload we can ask our AI VIA if there's room, but she's still running the show. Sort of. It's more of a creative anarchy.

Vote 1: No, don't detonate the Warlock yet.

This works

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Looks like we're sticking around the sector a little bit longer. Here's to hoping the Golden Spear keeps screening us from Gar'xx'tur!

Helm: North to E2
Engineering: Boost Damage Control
Damage Control: Engine 2, after we bring that up to yellow we should start repairing core systems, like the Bridge.

Scuzzy: North 5, report any orange nebulae or objects within scanner range instead of performing any active scans. Probably won't be enough time for it to give us much, but it's worth a shot.
Majkaue: Easy does it.
Warlock: A
Beacons: No beacon, let's hold it for E1 and hope whoever jumps through figures anything north of that is out of bounds. I'm not really sure why space has rectilinear seams but I'm also not a physicist. :v:

This, but beacon in E2

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'll admit I've stopped participating because I'm not that engaged with the combat, but others are enjoying it do I'm not that bothered what we do here.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Engine and Shield

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shields

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'm thinking dump the beacon at L08? Grav anomaly protecting it on the east and west, hazard zones to the south. Take two turns to get there though.

West 4

Fire on the destroyer on S05, not that it's really necessary

Scan the Crusier in R02? not sure what else to scan

Boost Engines Weapons

Deploy a Probe

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Agreed Drop The Buoy before doing anything.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

[Helm]: North 1 (brings us out of range of the anomaly and doesn't add another turn of minimal movement in order to move south)
[Weapons]: Fire on SKS Destroyer
[Engineering]: Boost shields

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Thanks for this game, it was really fun, and so was the Asteroids rip-off/improvement

• Locked thread