Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Gravedust posted:

I think Hbar had the best confirmable tally (sorry CK, hopefully the window thing will work?) last time around so I can draw ya something, orrrr you can pick a ship to add to the next build off of here:
(Plus the SKS Destroyer, which is not shown.)
(OK, I'm calling it in. I want to see a picture of the Lacustrine bravely in action against its first target, the dreaded Gravitic Anomaly. As a reminder of better times long gone. Before the anomaly got its revenge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

I see why most ships have a captain instead of democracy.

[Helm]: South 1
[Engineering]: Boost Damage Control
[Damage Control]: Phason Cannon 1
[Sensors]: Scan D13
[Weapons]: Evacuate the ruined sections. Seal the airlocks behind you. Get to the med lockers. Mourn the dead.

[Majkaüe]: Deep scan M14, North 6. I'm sure you know to navigate around the anomaly when you pass that subsector, only an idiot would run straight into it.
[Scuzzy]: North 6, deep scan C20. And show us what's in the western sector already!

[Comms]:
[to Gar'xx'tuur]: Do you see what we just did? We're crazy. Do you really want to mess with a ship that's this nuts?

edit:
[tightbeam to Golden Spear]: Here's what our sensors say about the Kaon vessel. It doesn't make much sense to us, but at least they didn't seem to mind the scan. And in other important discoveries, the gravitic anomaly shard probably isn't dangerous. But the rest of the anomaly definitely is.

HBar fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 30, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

my dad posted:

My suggestion for this turn: Wait. Let our shield recharge for a bit before we go North and East and grab the Theanterium slab.
Juan, this is crazy. I know the afterlife is a big deal to you, but try not to send us there early. Traveling through hazard zones any time soon will kill us. Waiting here to recharge and repair will kill us – from the anomaly, from the Qura'xxo, or from the Skes. Our best hope now is to flee up the western border, as quickly as we can, while still avoiding all the hazards we can avoid.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Juan Maria de Marte, pristine priest

Suicide is a sin, Judy, and I have no intention of comitting it. I never said anything about waiting to repair and being pulled into the anomaly again. I said wait one single 'turn' to give our shield a decent buffer that would hopefully allow us to cross the northern nebula without incurring hull damage, and hopefully guide the incredibly slow mothership of that opportunistic creep Garx towards us. If he's heading west, it means he's not going north, and he's also increasing his distance from that destroyed battlecruiser we should probably check out on the way.

It would help if we were to scan the nebula like we should have ages ago to know exactly what we're facing. I will consider changing my vote to moving 1 subsector to the west, to minimize the amount of nebula space we end up having to deal with.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang

Moving west 1 still means going through a hazard zone next turn. And if we stay still, we have to go through a hazard zone or go south 1 and then boost west to A21, when instead we could be safely north at B15 in three turns if we start moving now. Look, I've got it all charted out. We can get to the core sector in 8 turns, only going through one hazard zone. And we can get a couple boosted repairs and a shield recharge before we hit it.

But it all depends on going South 1 this turn. Without that, we're either taking damage we can't afford or we're wasting time while hostile forces close in.

Hexenritter posted:

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

Thankful for the five point harness integrated into his tactical station's chair, but agonisingly expressing the fact that he didn't adjust the boys earlier, Mick clutches his groin with one hand, the other moves frantically over his station. "I'm definitely calling another Code Brown...and not just for the ship..... We need to get out of the anomaly and effect repairs."

-----Orders-----
[Beacon] Tone-1 to A-28
[Comms]
[Damage Control] Engine 1
[Engineering] Damage Control
[Helm] South 6
[Sensors] Might as well scan the debris at B-24
[Tractor Beam]
[Weapons] What weapons?
Those movement and beacon orders don't make sense together. Are you sure you didn't get a concussion? Show me where it hurts, Mick.

Wait, I see where your hands are. DON'T show me where it hurts, just take a break and get yourself checked out.

And for all of our sakes, consider moving South 1. South 6 would be too much backtracking and we could end up face-to-face with the Skes. That's a fight we'd instantly lose right now.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wow, good job guys, good thing that it's not like we may need these weapons!

HBar posted:

[Weapons]: Evacuate the ruined sections. Seal the airlocks behind you. Get to the med lockers. Mourn the dead.

[Majkaüe]: Deep scan M14, North 6. I'm sure you know to navigate around the anomaly when you pass that subsector, only an idiot would run straight into it.
[Scuzzy]: North 6, deep scan C20. And show us what's in the western sector already!
This gets my support.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
[quote="Theantero" post="462511664"]
:allears:

Truly, failures of democracy are the one constant in Gravedust games. Reminds me of that one time in Battlepod where discordant voting caused us to shoot our giant base-walker's Ultra Kill Cannon at our own tanky pod instead of the enemy. That was some glorious poo poo right there.

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"AHH! You fuckers actually did it. Are you INSANE!? Well, I mean, I never had any doubts about Ivana bu-"

"poo poo the cryopod coolant is leaking will be back with you in a bit and also yes let's go with Judy's plan. See you all in a bit."

-----Orders-----

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

:siren: O_o

"Haahaah hoo! Ooooh! Ooh! Ow! Is everyone to being okay? We seem to have suffered anomalous calamity; is woe.
However! Having to also obtained sample for Ivana! So grateful for compliance of humble crew, now real Science can begin!"

===========STARSHIP CONTROL===========
[Helm]: South 1 - Let us get out of here before we have another science accident.
[Weapons]: Rest in peace. :patriot:
[Damage Control]: Engine 1
[Sensors]: Scan Anomaly Sample in "Ivanas Lab" - Formal designation Storage Closet 23b
[Comms]:
[Probes]
-[Majkaüe]: North 6, Deep Scan M14
-[Scuzzy] North 6, report finding, deep scan c20
Optional
======================================

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Augh, Christ on a cracker. ...VIA, I just remembered, before we left port Command gave us a third primary objective that never showed up properly. Maybe I'm misremembering because of the head trauma, but it went something like, let's see... Don't ****ing kill yourselves and the ship you goddamn lunatics!

Judith's plan is reasonable, for now.

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

At least we know the anomalies don't annihilate anything they touch, but can drag things diagonally. Too bad we didn't find that out from a probe.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ahmad Ramos, Sensors and Scanners

"Okay, double vision, ears ringing, *wince* aches and scrapes... no, wait, frame's clear; eyes are fine, displays are screwed. Ten fingers, ten toes, nothing's pinched, everything moves.... okay. Registering station failure with damage control, requesting function reroute to alternate station next watch, scheduling checkup after watch, then moonshine - at least someone out there has our priorities in order. Making about fifty different copies of what just happened. Including print, and possibly crayon later.

"Hope it was worth it, you nutbars."

Plan HBar, plus
[Comms] use one (two?) of those copies to let the Golden Spear and the Kaon know what magnificent idiots we are
[If we have spare equipment that can do it; I don't remember if we have to redirect power to use the tractor beam] Grab up any other anomaly bits. Or compromising ship bits. It'll probably be mostly ship bits, knowing our luck.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 30, 2016

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Jack Rafferty
Comms Officer

"Holy poo poo... At least you assholes didn't kill us. Not for lack of trying. Godamn it people. I swear, if this is how things are gonna go, we're gonna need a dedicated medbay, instead of whatever crazy setup Ivana has in his closet."
"Anyways, I think we should listen to our Navigations Officer on concerns of where to go."

-----Orders-----
[Beacon] Hell no.
[Comms] May as well allow normal traffic. Got bigger concerns now.
[Damage Control] Sorry, so sorry. Please fix Engine 1 please? Please?
[Engineering] Damage Control
[Helm] 1 South
[Sensors] May as well D13
[Tractor Beam] Whatever bits of our dignity you can find in the debris, Thanks.
[Weapons] Oh man, Mick, they broke your toys.

[McMurdoch] * North (R7 if possible) Deep Scan M14
[scuzzy] There you are. Show us what you got, then North 6 (A21) and Deep Scan Nebulae at C20

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

HBar posted:

(OK, I'm calling it in. I want to see a picture of the Lacustrine bravely in action against its first target, the dreaded Gravitic Anomaly. As a reminder of better times long gone. Before the anomaly got its revenge.)

Okay, I'll see what I can do! :)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(6)South(3,1,1,1,1,1)
(1)No action
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(3) Engine1
(2) Phason Cannon1
[Sensors]
(4) D-13
(1) Debris - B-24
(1) Nebula - E-18
(1) Scan lab sample (Storage closet 23b)
[Engineering]
(6)Damage Control
(1)Shield
[Option]
(1) Deploy Tone-1 (A-28) (-1) : Does not meet threshold.
(1) Tractor Beam: Retrieve impact debris
(1) Tractor Beam: Retrieve dignity
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(5)North(6,6,6,6,6)
scan [M-14(5)]
Scuzzy
(5) North(6,6,6,6,)
scan - [C-20(4)]
-----------------------------------------------

Comms posted:

[to Gar'xx'tuur] Do you see what we just did? We're crazy. Do you really want to mess with a ship that's this nuts?

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>>>>AS USUAL>>>>YOUR>IGNORANCE>IS>SURPASSED>>>ONLY>>> BY YOUR>>INFURIATING ARROGANCE>>><
IF>YOU>THINK>I>DON'T>HAVE>A>>>>MILLION>>>>BETTER>>THINGS>TO>DO><
>>THAN>OBSERVE>>EVERY>>>INANE>>>THING>> YOU> FRAGMENTS>>WASTE>>YOUR>TIME>DOING><
>WHICH>I>ASSUME>IS>MOSTLY>>>AGGRESSIVELY>PURSUING>>>WHATEVER>NEARBY>OBJECTS>ARE>COMPATIBLE>WITH>YOUR>>>> LUDICROUS>GENITALS>>>><

[to Golden Spear] Here's what our sensors say about the Kaon vessel. It doesn't make much sense to us, but at least they didn't seem to mind the scan. And in other important discoveries, the gravitic anomaly shard probably isn't dangerous. But the rest of the anomaly definitely is.

Golden Spear posted:

Yes. Our own interactions with the Kaon have met with similar passivity, as well as evinced readings of this confusing and dubious nature. Yet, this data is useful to have, and you are thanked richly for it.

quote:

[<Transmission of impact recording>]

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>>>>>>EEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEHEEHE!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>><

Golden Spear posted:

…Lacustrine, I must say the subtleties of this strategy are beyond my understanding. …I will further ponder these actions and hope to unfold their deeper meaning.

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

>>>>>>>HHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>><
>>>I>WILL>WATCH>THIS>>>ONE>BILLION>>>TIMES>>><

Abyssal Squid posted:

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt
VIA, I just remembered, before we left port Command gave us a third primary objective that never showed up properly. Maybe I'm misremembering because of the head trauma, but it went something like, let's see... Don't ****ing kill yourselves and the ship you goddamn lunatics!

VIA posted:

Oh. I don't seem to have a record of that, but all right!

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Navigate to the Core Object: IN PROGRESS
Athene scan of Core Object: IN PROGRESS
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES:
Mark Safe Egress Zones(4/#)
Examine wreck of the Warlock: IN PROGRESS

IVANA BONUS OBJECTIVE::science:
Scan and if possible obtain sample of Gravitic Anomaly for Science!: COMPLETE!

TERTIARY OBJECTIVE:
Don't ****ing kill yourselves and the ship you goddamn lunatics!: IN PROGRESS

=======================================================

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)
Recharge Theanterium Power Cell (Requires a Theanterium Slab)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
[i]Jettison cargo object(s) (drops an object or multiple objects from Cargo into the ship's current location) (Requires at least 2 votes)
All players welcome! :)

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

Here come the Skes, right on schedule. And we could still get ambushed from the side too. This isn't the best time to discover how limited the probes are at mapping.

[Helm]: West 3
[Sensors]: Scan B13
[Weapons]: Take a break, give the mechanics more room to work.

[Majkaüe]: Deep scan O11, North 6
[Scuzzy]: North 6, deep scan B10.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

:golfclap:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. VIA, are you trying to tell us something? Or is it the nebula...

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

HBar posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. VIA, are you trying to tell us something? Or is it the nebula...

That looks like it would be from the Kaon, considering how we linked up our ship's computer with the drone scanning them.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

HBar posted:

:golfclap:

Check the Letter coordinates as well.

Also, VIA is misspelling things, haven't gone through and seen if any messages or what yet, but might be worth a look.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

Here come the Skes, right on schedule. And we could still get ambushed from the side too. This isn't the best time to discover how limited the probes are at mapping.

"Still kinda busy trying to make our frozen quests not die, so, uh, just go with Judy. Just remember to send Maj to take a looksie at Warlock after it's not in danger of getting wrecked by the anomaly, since examining the derelict is a secondary mission objective."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Shame we hadn't identified that other gravitic anomaly earlier, if we'd gone west 1, we could have boosted shields and gone north through the orange nebula, letting the anomaly pull us out of it. Anyway, moving on.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

HBar posted:

VIA posted:

That's not me. ...Or at least I -think- it's not me, it's possible I could have been compromised, somehow.

Let me run some diagnostics.

Like, every single one.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 2, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Also, VIA is misspelling things, haven't gone through and seen if any messages or what yet, but might be worth a look.

((Bluh... Any typos or spelling errors are the result of me being bad at typing and not having a lot of time to proofread, sorry. -_- You can disregard those.))

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

poo poo. If those GUI glitches are from the Kaon, they've been at it a while.

Check the Letters along the top delineating the Coordinates.

And Grave didn't just go back and edit things, either:

The Kaon either don't want us here or are warning us of a danger.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I think the proper takeaway is that the Kaon is dead and we should go up to it and start shooting it to see what happens! :v:

But for real, at least that'd be more interesting than "let's ram rocks for no reason, ouch that hurt!"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I can't believe that our first contact was in the form of chart junk, and that we all missed it for three turns.

[Comms]:
[tightbeam to Kaon]: "Message received. If that's a warning, can you tell us more about the danger? The Lacustrine isn't jump-capable, and the heavy interference in this sector prevents normal long-distance communications. Since hostile forces are blocking our way back south, the way for us to leave would be to drop a beacon somewhere safe to call a jump ship. If we make that call somewhere like B9 or C2, would that be acceptable?"
[tightbeam to Golden Spear]: "After we started scanning the Kaon, we've been seeing messages on our navigation charts. We don't know how that happened and we can't be completely sure it's the work of the Kaon, but the messages say 'Leave or join this grave'. It's up to you what to do with that information, but we though you should know."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang

Those movement and beacon orders don't make sense together. Are you sure you didn't get a concussion? Show me where it hurts, Mick.

Wait, I see where your hands are. DON'T show me where it hurts, just take a break and get yourself checked out.

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"It's ok, I'm ok, I think I'm going to need icepack underwear for a shift or two though. I think I went cross-eyed there for a few thanks to the crotch strap but I'm alright now. So the Kaon are telling us to Golf-Tango-Foxtrot-Oscar? With no way of inferring tone I have no way of telling if they mean it aggressively or not, but if the former it's not like we could put up much of a fight at this point. Also, is it me or is that Gar'xx'tur a bit of a dick? Anyway, I think I'm going to go get checked out. I abstain from my votes until I get a clean bill of health. Here's hoping there are no probes involved."

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class posted:

"It's ok, I'm ok, I think I'm going to need icepack underwear for a shift or two though. I think I went cross-eyed there for a few thanks to the crotch strap but I'm alright now. So the Kaon are telling us to Golf-Tango-Foxtrot-Oscar? With no way of inferring tone I have no way of telling if they mean it aggressively or not, but if the former it's not like we could put up much of a fight at this point. Also, is it me or is that Gar'xx'tur a bit of a dick? Anyway, I think I'm going to go get checked out. I abstain from my votes until I get a clean bill of health. Here's hoping there are no probes involved."

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer
"Well, if you want to avoid probes, best drat well avoid Ivana then. Go curl up in a corner somewhere with a few ice packs and a medkit or something."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Ivana sorry to disappoint, only allowed two probes active at one time. :(
Also, Ivana is busy with sample, no time for experiment medical. If emergency, please stuff yourself in cryostorage! :science:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

"Don't we have a med bot on board? I mean sure, it's just in some locker in the mess hall, but it still works, right?"

Kind of curious what HBar intends to scan at those coordinates.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Ahmad Ramos, Sensors and Scanners posted:

Kind of curious what HBar intends to scan at those coordinates.

"Who, Judy? Probably the blue nebulae at B13, orange nebulae at 'actual' O11, and blip at B10"

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Who, Judy? Probably the blue nebulae at B13, orange nebulae at 'actual' O11, and blip at B10"

That'd do it.

Plan HBar

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(3)west(3,3,3)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(3)PhasonCannon1
[Sensors]
(3) B-13
[Engineering]
(3)Damage Control
[Option]
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(3)North(6,6,6)
scan [B-1(2),B13(1)]
Scuzzy
(3)North(6,6,6)
scan [B-10(3)]

Comms posted:

[To Golden Spear]: "After we started scanning the Kaon, we've been seeing messages on our navigation charts. We don't know how that happened and we can't be completely sure it's the work of the Kaon, but the messages say 'Leave or join this grave'. It's up to you what to do with that information, but we though you should know."

Golden Spear posted:

Yes, we have had a similar message, earlier dismissed as random interference. So far none of our return transmissions have met with acknowledgement, however.

Also, Lacustrine, know that we have concern for your safety. The Qura'xxo and Skes are as [translator substitution: Jackals], attracted to the weak.
Though our path takes us inexorably corewards, we will extend our aid as we can.

[To Kaon]: "Message received. If that's a warning, can you tell us more about the danger? The Lacustrine isn't jump-capable, and the heavy interference in this sector prevents normal long-distance communications. Since hostile forces are blocking our way back south, the way for us to leave would be to drop a beacon somewhere safe to call a jump ship. If we make that call somewhere like B9 or C2, would that be acceptable?"

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

TERTIARY OBJECTIVE:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
[i]Jettison cargo object(s) (drops an object or multiple objects from Cargo into the ship's current location) (Requires at least 2 votes)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please tell me Garx is about to try to loot the Kaon. :allears:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Yeah I told you guys about messing with the ominous space octahedron. Did you listen? NO!"

"But anyways, I say we just go with our old movement plan here. Also, we should probably have Scuzzy docked whilst we pass that corrosive nebula. It seems strong enough to just wreck it almost instantly."

-----Orders-----
[Helm]: North 6 to B15
-- Yeah just keep going. Skes on our trail etc.
[Engineering]: Boost Engines
[Damage Control]: Adv. Probe 1
--As much as I'd like to fix my hold, this is some high-tech equipment right here that is fairly close to being wrecked.
[Sensors]: Scan I13
--Might as well. The only thing in range
[Weapons]: Feel naked and inadequate due to our severely diminished firepower.

Probe orders changed later, ignore
[Majkaüe]: East 6, Deep Scan W9, This is our chance to figure out what happened to Warlock. Let's take it.
[Scuzzy]: North 4 to A11, deep scan B4. B4 should definitely be checked before we go too much further in case it is yet another hidden anomaly. Also, Scuzzy should stop at this subsector until we park next to it to pick it up.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 4, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

The probes only have a scan range of 6. We may as well bring Scuzzy onboard for now, there isn't much else it can do until we cross the hazard zone.

I see the Kaon are in our ship specs too. And there's a new piece of the message on the nav chart, "When the last"...

[Helm]: North 6
[Damage Control]: Engine 1. We can survive without a probe bay or the phason cannon, but if we lose an engine here we're dead in the water. Void. You know what I mean.
[Weapons]: Remember the shooting sims? Those were fun, right? Take your mind off things.

[Majkaüe]: East 6, deep scan U8.
[Scuzzy]: East 1, rendezvous with Lacustrine and dock in Advanced Probe Bay 2.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

VIA posted:

I will see about formulating a method of blocking the interference, but I need to figure out how they are doing it, first.

[VIA"I'd say, don't try to block it, instead try to re-route it. Maybe if you put a ticker up on our display with the message "Very Important Information" or "Pay attention to this information" (or something similar) repeating endlessly, perhaps they'll switch to that instead?"

-edit-
"Hell, if they need to start at specific letters 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs' should be good."

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 3, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Oof, between the more dangerous nebula and dancing around the gravitic anomalies, this will be rough. But we've used up all of our screwing-around time so we're going to have to take a chance and charge through the orange nebula with shields not fully charged. If we boost our shields when we pass through we've got slightly better than even odds of taking no damage at all, and will take at most 4 damage to every system. That's more survivable than letting the Skes destroyers get in range, at least.

Helm: North 6.
Engineering: Boost Engines.
Damage Control: Probe Bay 1, everything else should survive even the worst of this nebula if we charge our shields first.
Sensors: Scan I13.

Majkaue: East 6, Deep Scan T08.
Scuzzy: East 1, Deep Scan D13.
Other: Recover Scuzzy in Probe Bay 2, there's nothing else for it to scan nearby and it'll be at least somewhat protected.

Comms: to Golden Spear - This next nebula is more dangerous. Attaching nebula.csv
Comms: to that Qura'xxo rear end in a top hat - The Kaon has been sending us warnings, you should probably give it a wide berth!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

"Yeah I told you guys about messing with the ominous space octahedron. Did you listen? NO!"

"But anyways, I say we just go with our old movement plan here. Also, we should probably have Scuzzy docked whilst we pass that corrosive nebula. It seems strong enough to just wreck it almost instantly."

-----Orders-----
[Helm]: North 6 to B15
-- Yeah just keep going. Skes on our trail etc.
[Damage Control]: Adv. Probe 1
--As much as I'd like to fix my hold, this is some high-tech equipment right here that is fairly close to being wrecked.
--Might as well. The only thing in range
[Weapons]: Feel naked and inadequate due to our severely diminished firepower.

[Majkaüe]: East 6, Deep Scan W9, This is our chance to figure out what happened to Warlock. Let's take it.
[Scuzzy]: North 4 to A11, deep scan B4. B4 should definitely be checked before we go too much further in case it is yet another hidden anomaly. Also, Scuzzy should stop at this subsector until we park next to it to pick it up.

Looks good

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

HBar posted:

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

The probes only have a scan range of 6. We may as well bring Scuzzy onboard for now, there isn't much else it can do until we cross the hazard zone.

"Oh, yeah. You're totally right. Remanding my Probe orders to yours."

"Also, maybe the Kaon messages aren't all that ominous after all. Notice how they only started after we wrecked our ship on the anomaly? Maybe they just think we are incompetent children that need to be warned away from hurting themselves."

REMANDED ORDERS:
Majkaüe: East 6, Deep Scan T08.
Scuzzy: East 1, Deep Scan D13.
Other: Recover Scuzzy in Probe Bay 2, there's nothing else for it to scan nearby and it'll be at least somewhat protected.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Theantero posted:

"Also, maybe the Kaon messages aren't all that ominous after all. Notice how they only started after we wrecked our ship on the anomaly? Maybe they just think we are incompetent children that need to be warned away from hurting themselves."

"If you think about it, we sort of are. Well, maybe not all humanity, but us jerks all that and then some.

"As for the Kaon, it'll take some time for us to get out of town anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to tell us they're waiting to Start poo poo until the less monstrous of us children are clear. Gonna have to wait and see. And yes, VIA, redirect, not filter out. Hell, maybe not even filter out; we have records and know sector coordinates pretty well after our time on board. I think. I hope.

"On that note, if the Qura'xxo do try to do something dumb with the Kaon, I'll pipe the real-time map to a ship-wide stream. You know where the galley keeps its popcorn."

HBar posted:

[Helm]: North 6
[Damage Control]: Engine 1. We can survive without a probe bay or the phason cannon, but if we lose an engine here we're dead in the water. Void. You know what I mean.
[Weapons]: Remember the shooting sims? Those were fun, right? Take your mind off things.

[Majkaüe]: East 6, deep scan U8.
[Scuzzy]: East 1, rendezvous with Lacustrine and dock in Advanced Probe Bay 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(5)North(6,6,6,6,6)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(3) Adv Probe 1
(2) Engine 1
[Sensors]
(4) I-13
[Engineering]
(5) Engines
[Option]
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(5)East(6,6,6,5,6)
scan [U-8(1)][T-08(2)][W-9(1)]
Scuzzy
(4)East(1,1,1,1)
(1)North(4)
scan [D-13(1)][B-4(1)]

Comms posted:

[To Golden Spear]This next nebula is more dangerous. Attaching nebula.csv

Golden Spear posted:

Yes, so we have seen. Our shields are able to take the strain.

[That Qura'xxo rear end in a top hat] - The Kaon has been sending us warnings, you should probably give it a wide berth!!!!

Gar'xx'tuur posted:

THE>ONLY>>MESSAGE>>I>AM>>>RECEIVING>>>IS>A>>DETAILED>>REPORT>ON>YOUR>>>>THOROUGH>FOOLHEADEDNESS>>>><
FOR>MISTAKING>>>>COMMON>SYSTEMS>INTERFERENCE>>>>FOR>>ORGANIZED>DATA>>HOW>TYPICAL>OF>>>SHARD-MINDED>SUPERSTITION>>><
ALSO>MY>BERTHWIDTH>IS>>>>COMPLETELY>CORRECT>AND>APPROPRIATE>>>><
THE>KAON>ARE>>RENOWNED>>FOR>THEIR>POLICY>OF>>DOING>PRECISELY>JACK>NOTHING>><
I>COULD>DO>>>>ANYTHING>>>>AND>IT WOULD>GIVE>NARY>A>>>>SINGLE>INFERIOR>HUMAN>poo poo>>>>ABOUT>IT>I>>>PROMISE>>>YOU><

VIA posted:

As I mentioned, after watching the results of Dr. Sendvič's experimentations, I have noticed a number of key similarities between the Gravitic Anomaly chunk we recovered and the Samples we recovered on our previous mission. They also share similarities with some of the readings from the recent deep scan of the Kaon in this sector.

Specifically, all three contain many of the same microstructures, and share the same ultradense composition.

From this data, I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that the Samples we recovered earlier, AND the Gravitic Anomalies are both Kaon in origin, and may in fact be the remains of a destroyed Kaon.

The main difference between the Samples, and G.Anomalies being that the Gravitic samples have not been converted into inert carbon, and are still 'functioning', at least in a very basic sense. The only function of the Anomalies at the moment is sort of a timed 'pull', which seems to attract objects over a certain mass threshold.

The range and power of the pull seems proportional to the size of the Anomaly mass, so the chunk we blasted away has a low effect range and intensity. Enough to be felt, but fortunately it does not pose a serious danger to the ship. Also, parts of the anomaly mass which are separated from the whole tend to fuse back together with it, given time, while foreign materials do not.

In the time during which we have been performing experiments, the piece of the anomaly we retrieved has begun to carbonize, so far effecting 15.45% of the mass, though we have found certain forms of stimulus can temporarily cause the carbonization process to halt. Therefore it may be possible to preserve the remaining active mass indefinitely.

I am leaning heavily into theory here, but I believe this is actually method of emergency damage control. If a Kaon were destroyed, it's possible the behavior exhibited by the anomaly might cause much of the Kaon's mass to be pulled back together over time, potentially to re-integrate and restore further functionality.

I further hypothesize that the inert 'Samples' we picked up earlier were pieces of Kaon of insufficient mass to effectively pull together, and so were instead rendered inert, as part of a failsafe function.

I stress this is all hypothesis, however.

BONUS OBJECTIVES:

TERTIARY OBJECTIVE:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms
Optional

• Locked thread