Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I stopped playing this game when I got to the point that I won 90% of the time and had unlocked most stuff, so I’m looking forward to new content.

I am hearing some real bad advice in these last few pages. Basic gun management primer to not go insane: Pick a boss gun and a floor gun. Boss gun is only for boss. If, after killing the boss, you think you have enough ammo to kill another boss then start the next floor with your floor gun. If not, start the next floor with your boss gun until it’s out of ammo and use the next ammo box to refill it before switching back to floor gun. When your floor gun runs out of ammo, switch to your next best floor gun. When an ammo box drops, refill your empty favorite floor gun if you have been playing right and your boss gun is ready to go.

Your best boss gun is the one with the highest dps, with some consideration for explosives or defensive effects. Your best floor gun has the best special effects.

In my experience with drops, gun eating boxes, and a very rare purchase you will never run so low on ammo you have to use the basic gun again until you reach the double secret final challenge level and run dry on everything. That level is for when you are feeling like hot poo poo, and if you don’t have the ammo to clear it you are not hot poo poo. Take the W instead of going for the victory lap with your garbage drops.

People sometimes obsess over using the basic pistol way too long and so over value it with character selection. That gun is garbage no matter who you pick. If you are unlucky you will have to clear the first floor with it, if you are very unlucky you will have to kill the boss with it. You should always clear the Oubliette (baring a red or black chest on the first floor) so the first floor boss gun might be your only alternative to the starting weapons. After that, do not touch the starting pistol unless you are completely out of ammo for other guns.

Git gud bonus advice on gun pairing: Once you have a bunch of guns you shouldn’t just look for your best floor/boss gun and manage those, you should look for your best pair of guns for the floor/boss. You want contrasting utility / ranges / special effects that makes a nice compliment. Pair them up and quick switch all the time, so it’s like you now have one gun with two modes! They even reload on their own when not equipped. Convict is great for training this. Pistol for longer range plinking, shotgun for panic button / close range bursts. Any of the single shot explosive weapons also become 1000% better when you fire it to open a fight, switch off, switch back to blow up a threat, etc.

Also I have played this game for hundreds upon hundreds of hours and gently caress it for never giving me either a glitch or a rainbow chest in all that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, the supply drop update made the game a bit easier. There a dumb metagame trick where if you don't pick up keys until you get to the shop he'll have a guaranteed key, so you should almost always do that. They also introduced the key dropping enemies. I think at some point they fixed a bug to make ammo drop more.

I also picked the game up a while ago and I was even better at it than when I was playing regularly. Could be the same thing for you.

Did my second Lead God run without the clone and beat the lich about 70% of the time. Also beat the challenge run but it stresses me out so I don't do it all the time. I can't wait for the expansion, I love this game but it's just out of content for me.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
My favorite characters are the Pilot and the Hunter. I think your take on the Hunter is spot on. The pilot always felt like the best long-game character if you're ok with a potential rough start. The lock picks typically give me a 50/50 shot at opening 1-2 brown chests I would otherwise just shoot. They get tossed for anything else I find. Higher ammo capacity is useful but not game changing. He really shines in the accumulated benefits from lower prices over 5 floors and the possibility of getting 2 really useful active items.

Robot is a challenge character. His starting weapon is great but his bullet upgrade is mediocre and spilling water, even with the electric bullets, is just lame. He only gets armor for health so a lot of items are useless for him. He shines in the first few levels but once you get a better gun than his default it's all long term downside.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

dscruffy1 posted:

Spilling water seems lame now, wait until you turn the super soaker into the deadliest weapon in the game.

How dare you insult my best friend Gunther!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The marine is a solid character for learning the game, though I think each of the characters has something to teach so it can be worthwhile to cycle through them all. Keep in mind that you can sell the supply drop item and that's probably the best use for it.

The Hunter is the most likely to get you a master round and will teach you to keep a boss weapon in reserve.

The Convict will teach you to switch between a pair of weapons as needed. Her shotgun is poo poo alone, but excellent when you quickswitch to get rid of a close threat and then switch back to the pistol. If you're struggling to clear the first/second level the convict is probably the easiest character as her collection of D tier items are great at first.

The pilot will teach you to use keys and purchases strategically.

General tips:
1. Weapons reload in your inventory if you give them some time. Some slow reload guns like the rpg are fantastic as secondary weapons that you switch fire before going back to your primary weapon.
2. Think in weapon pairs. Close/Far, Ice/Damage, Quick/Explosive, whatever compliments. High damage rapid fire weapons and explosives are best for bosses. Weapons with some kind of crowd control like ice, magic, charm, or stun are best for clearing rooms.
3. Roll strategically. Most things can be avoided with careful movement and a panicked roll will get you hit. You can roll against a wall to avoid damage without moving.
4. Don't pick up keys until you get to the store. It's stupid but it works. Always buy all the keys in a store unless it's level 4 and you have 4 keys or if it keeps you from buying something really good.
5. On the first level there's a fireplace, put out the fire and hit the switch behind it to access a secret floor (it also costs 2 keys). If you can't survive floor 2 you'll die down there, but once you're looking to really beat the game it's usually worth it.
6. Always go for the Master Round, the reward for not being hit by a boss. That means saving your blanks for the boss fight and using the best guns you held in reserve. Shoot for a no-hitter every time and if you slip up and take one hit you'll be fine. Shoot for survival and you'll take a bunch of hits and limp unto the next level.
7. Manipulate the chests. One chest always has a gun, the other an active/passive item. If you haven't picked up a gun that floor than the boss will drop a gun. If you have, then it's 50/50 gun or passive. I try to maximize passive drops but if you know there's a brown gun in a chest you should probably just blow it up and see what the boss will give you.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The rat doesn't steal keys, hearts, or blanks. Leaving it on the floor guarantees that the shopkeeper will have a key for sale that floor. Then you pick it up after you see the inventory and it's locked in.

Nalesh posted:

Didn't they fix the key thing to be on spawn rather than on pickup?

I also heard that, but whenever I leave a key on the ground there's one in the shop. When I pick it up there sometimes isn't a key. I play on the PS4 version so it could be they haven't patched it yet for me but have for the PC/Switch.

Xaris posted:

Also I never realized that about 7, is there always just 2 chests per level: one gun, one item?

There are 2 guaranteed chest rooms on every level but 6. One will have an item, one will have a gun. There can also be rare random chest drops, NPC drops, chests from shrines, etc. They all have a 50/50 shot at gun vs. item. The boss only has a guaranteed gun if you didn't get a gun from anywhere else in the level. If you didn't open the gun chest but did get a gun from Winchester then it's a 50/50 shot.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
There's also the gun blessing. But I'd recommend not rushing the boss unless you're the hunter, since the boss is easier with a non-starting weapon and you want to go for the no-hit bonus.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm extremely good at this game but I agree the first floor can burn you out because you start with no rng. It's the same until you get your first item and then the game kicks in. If I kept having to repeat the first floor I would have hated this game, but that wasn't my experience. Right now I tolerate the first floor because most runs carry me through the rest of the fun game.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

il serpente cosmico posted:

I forget how the branching works exactly, but the official wiki explains how the layout of Bullet Hell works. It won't necessarily mean that you'll find him immediately, but it can prevent you from running into too many dead-ends.

In my opinion, if you want to beat the Lich, you should play as the Pilot and plan on going through both secret floors. You need to accumulate as many resources as possible, and having at least 4 additional chests and two additional boss rewards will greatly increase your chances of getting to the Lich. The pilot benefits a lot from lower item costs, the potential to use lock picks, and the the ability to get two active abilities. On my first Lich run, I found the Football which was extremely helpful for clearing out regular rooms in hell and preserving ammo. I also found at least a half dozen very good guns by going through both the secret floors, so I had enough ammo across my various weapons to take him down.

This method is also easier said than done. The Old King is one of the hardest bosses in the game, and even getting Abbey of the True gun can be difficult, given that you need to find the alter on the second floor without taking any damage. Good luck.

If you luck out and get Clone you will also greatly increase your odds of getting the job done. The seven-leaf clover is also nice.

This is right. I beat the Lich about 50% of the time and the main issue is attrition in bullet hell and how many good items or guns I picked up along the way. Everyone should shoot for clearing both the secret floors unless it means giving up a really good chest for the key cost.

I don't hoard guns most of the time. Some guns are real hell clearers though. Rad Gun can destroy bullet hell, charm bow is great, any magic weapon will do extra work. Some weapons like the P blaster are also very ammo efficient.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

AppleDan posted:

One of those wizard who can throw your own bullets back at you threw my own loving bees at me and they ate literally all of my health in that one room. I had 6 full hearts.

Yep. If a Red Wizard is in the room never shoot homing weapons. Bees, scrambler, tiger, shark, they will ruin you and the only viable escape could be a blank. You should have had one ready though, blanks are for bosses, secret rooms, and real emergencies.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I recognize the facemelter's merits but I really don't like it. So much visual clutter makes it hard to dodge bullets, I almost always take a hit I otherwise wouldn't have when I used it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Occasionally I've gotten a fairy. It is not happy. No reason to break poo poo besides an achievement.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm really looking forward to ag&d. I'm out of everything to do in this game. I'd be happy to pay for an expansion.

Gun synergy npc would do more to make the game easier though. I want more difficulty, or stuff that makes the two difficulty increasers more fun.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Even more secret: you can open those secret rooms with anything that looks like a Zelda bomb also.

Always check the chest rooms because they're easy to check. If you have a spare blank after beating the boss you should use it in the store because checking will piss off the store keeper.

There are two secret levels. You discovered the first one already. If you take the crest from there and put it in the statue room on level two you'll open up the second secret room and then get murdered by its boss.

To unlock to robot you have to get the TV to the store on level 5.

To unlock the bullet you have to not kill the red-caped bullets.

There's a bunch of weird stuff that unlocks items.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think those are credits? They don't do anything in a run but you can unlock stuff with them from the storekeepers.

To get the bullet that can shoot the past, which you need to really beat the game, you need to bring all four pieces to the blacksmith on level 5. Doesn't need to be at the same time, you can do it one piece at a time. Each piece has a special challenge room besides the one you get from breaking the dragum'ds skull and bringing it back to her. Some take up your item slot.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

drunken officeparty posted:

I know, I had enough to buy everything 2 and a half times.

As for shortcuts, I 110 gunbux and 3 keys is so high I’ve written off ever giving it to him in the near future. I gave the first thing he asked and also the no hit thing but gently caress me if I could even get 3 keys at all let alone 3 without buying them by level 2.

You'll need to do a run just for the objective. Pilot, only pick locks. Clearing level 1 and 2 should get you enough cash and keys. You could also go for the secret room. It costs 2 keys but gets you a lot more money, enough to conver the cost of two keys plus some most of the time.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, Hunter is probably more fun, and has a slightly better chance to get keys.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think hexgun is better than the bundle of wands in general. Gunther is great, but the Rad Gun is a green that outclasses it. I think the best all around gun in the game is the Gungine.

The boring rule is important. I almost never use the bullet anymore because if I use the bullet I'll be swinging the sword for 90% of the run.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Around 1/3 of my runs are lead god runs now. I don't want them to make it easier I want an achievement for never getting hit at all. I've only done that twice.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Don't be a coward, always do both secret rooms.

The Iron Maidens are rough, it can be worth it to blow a blank to protect the crest if you're in a bad position against one.

If you think getting the crest to the altar is impossible the Old King will eviserate you. The level isn't all that hard though, its gimmick is cursed enemies and bullet hell enemies in not bullet hell scenarios. The layouts are mostly fair.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think I killed him the second time. Now I often no-hit him. The Old King is designed to rip new players who first encounter him apart, all his patterns are made to trick or fluster you. You also have no other way to practice on him than to run both hidden levels. But once everything he does is old news he's not much harder than the kill pillars and probably easier than the high priest.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

precision posted:

I wish you could pay to remove guns from the RNG pool

Some are legit worse than the pilot's gun

Yeah, I would totally support that. I wouldn't even remove the worst guns, just the most disappointing at each tier.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Axetrain posted:

How do I find secret rooms? I know you shoot the walls to crack them and then use a blank to open them but is there something like in BoI where I should be looking for them in certain rooms or some type of visual indicator? They aren't guaranteed to exist on every floor right.

There is no visual indicator besides the cracks when you shoot them. They can be next to any room but they need to have space, so you can eliminate any room that's surrounded. Always check tiny rooms like the chest rooms, because one bullet in each direction without a door is easy. They can be adjacent to the shop room, and you can't check that first with bullets. Maps and the Brick of Cash will reveal them, and I think there's at least one every floor.

They aren't as important as BoI though, so don't sweat it if you don't find one.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ammocanda is the hardest boss of his tier. If you don't have a good enough weapon you can spend all your time and ammo dealing with the balls or trying to wear him down while he eats them before you can kill them. Sometimes it's better to focus on the snake, especially if you have a weapon that penetrates you can destroy segments. It's also easier if you stay away from the snake and can ping it from out of view.

I don't think he needs a balance pass though, I find the mine flayer and cannon balrog to be harder.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

extradite THIS! posted:

Also one day you'll get a Winchester game when you're able to fly and you're going to be so happy :)

Yeah, those games are easy if you cheat. Flying is an auto-win, and some bullet effects help a lot. Sometimes I can get them all without cheating but more often it's 2-3 hits and still worth it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why is the rad gun so good

The Rad Gun is actually S-tier once you realize you can just reload it 4-6 times before you go to the next room.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Desperate Character posted:

is there any reason to do the oubliette or beat the old king more than once? I mean besides the free armor in the oubliette is there anything else really worth it?

It's usually worth it to do both every time. For the oubliette you get an extra floor's worth of money, another chance to find something good in the shop or to get special rooms, extra drops from clearing all those floors (so extra chances at keys), two extra chests if you can scrounge up the keys for them and a boss reward. That costs two keys, which means depending on your luck you might have to leave some chests on floor 1. My rule is to go to the oubliette unless it means leaving a red or a black chest. Leaving a green chest hurts but that's pretty rare. With the boss reward you're really only losing one key, the other is being traded for the boss item.

Going down to the Abbey costs nothing extra unless the crest is behind a locked door. If you're good enough to get the crest to the altar then you should clear the Abbey since it's a lot more stuff for free.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Thadius posted:

I have managed to unlock bullet hell! I even visited it once!

Died.

I might never get a good enough run to actually visit bullet hell again.

Desperate Character posted:

robot runs in a nutshell:

Floors 1-3: Hell yeah everything's going my way (except for the fact every bonus drop and chest loot is health :argh:)
Floors 4-5: OH poo poo OH poo poo OH GODDAMNIT

I got to the robot's past once and then died with the boss at like 10% health :negative:

I've killed the Lich with the Robot a few times with mediocre luck. All you need to do is commit every room and every floor to memory and have a perfect way to clear everything and then bang out no-hit runs because Gungeon broke something in your brain and running over and over is how you relax like it's some kind of meditation ritual.

I don't like the robot though, too many pickups are useless for him so it feels bad when they drop.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Helion posted:

I feel like the Robot is the game's way of telling me "You might have beaten the Lich, but you still loving suck."

The robot is the best character so long as you never get hit. Are you planning to get hit?

Honestly, I have done no hit runs with the robot and cleared the lich a few times, but I still don't like him. It feels bad when you get one of the many items that don't do anything at all for the robot.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
At this point I can beat the first two rat phases pretty much every time but I haven't actually killed the rat yet. Turns out I'm good at this game but not that good at Punch-Out! and can't seem to beat the last round.

The Rat is actually closer to the Dragon than, say, the Ammocanda in that he follows specific predictable patterns. Once the patterns are down, he's a chump. Just recognize the pattern and then focus on your character and what you need to execute to survive it. Have a plan for each attack pattern. Mostly your plan should be about small precise movements.

Phase 1: The most dangerous moves for me are the rat-traps and the shots that are called out with the laser. The rat traps are just a bitch that makes everything a bit harder because they have unpredictable placement. I have trouble seeing them on my lovely small TV too. To beat the shots you need to place yourself between the red lines instead of trying to jump away from them. The incoming waves are surprising, but you can just jump sideways over them once you're used to them coming in instead of going out.

Phase 2: This is a lot harder. For each move there's a specific place that you should be standing and small precise moves are usually better than big dramatic ones. The waves are beat by standing in a corner and jumping in place instead of trying to jump over them. The targeting circle is beat by jumping in the middle and then moving with it, then quickly jumping in and out when the blast comes. The one with a bunch of moving circles is beat by using a Blank! That's the hardest one for me, I always blank it away if I can once the space fills with bullets, but you could survive it by jumping between the empty circles like it's the dragon's wave. The swirling lasers shouldn't be a big deal, neither should the swarm of rats if you have a rapid-fire or wide spread weapon.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's an NPC you rescue. Just do a regular run and wait for a special locked door and the golden key. You know the drill.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I touched the goo for paradox but apparently if you save the game and load it up later you lose your goo. Also, having a rough time finishing a run now, a good portion of the new stuff seems to crash the game on PS4

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
They're also nice if you want to do a past run as fast as possible. The items you get by skipping to floor 5 aren't enough to clear bullet hell but they're plenty to beeline the dragon

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's a permanent upgrade with the item and doesn't break like some stuff, so either you dropped it and didn't notice or it was a bug.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So started to try and get Into the game for the first time since it came out. Are there varying drop percentages based on starting character?

I was playing with the hunter for a while and I was lucky getting one key/heart drop a floor even with the dog. Switched over to the pilot and I get a stupid amount of drops now. Still cant get past the stage four boss reliably and no where near the dragun, but it's a start.

Nope, they're the same for all the starting characters but there are some items that increase drop percentage. There's a hidden stat called "cool" that both increases the drop rate and decreases the cooldown on active items. It's possible you had one of those, but much more likely you just had a lucky run.

Each room has a percentage to drop that goes up each time you don't get a drop, so it's semi-randomized and you can get a lucky set of early drops that really smooths out the whole run.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The main benefit of KB+M is the Red Scarf becomes cool instead of a deadly trap.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Oxxidation posted:

get the gnawed key from the shop on the second floor, and on the third floor look for a room that has rats running around. you'll need either a blank or some kind of explosive to clear the dust on the floor of that room and reveal a trapdoor. unlock it and go in, ride the minecart to the end, use a blank to reveal a secret hallway, then go to the end of that hallway and use another blank to reveal another secret hallway. then use the gnawed key and enter the resourceful rat's lair

the lair is a maze that can only be navigated using the directions on the rude notes the rat has given you (there are six of them in total, listed at the very end of the Items section of the ammonomicon). follow those directions and you'll reach the rat

You don't need a blank or explosives to clear the dust. Just run around until you get big dust balls behind you instead of small ones and then run in a circle in that area, after a while the trap door will appear.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
My read on Gungeon Lore is that after you kill the past you create a second you that exists in parallel living the life where your greatest mistake was corrected. If you kill the lich you are deposited outside of the gungeon and can choose to swim away, living a second life as a clone of the self who is already living the alternative life.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ok, more Gungeon Lore. I think think the Bullet doesn't ever change the past, but relives it over and over. This was the bullet's ultimate moment of glory before being shunned by bullet kind for choosing the sword. Unlike every other past, the bullet does not make a choice. The bullet does not want to change the past, but to return to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I can imagine, I play this on PC with a controller, though. I admit, it's purely because of the aim assist

Edit

I recently got the payday 2 items : the loot bag, how does it work? Also the drill is hosed OP, can it fail like in pd2?

The loot bag doubles the money drops but you drop money whenever you get hit. You can quickly scoop some of that money back up but it disappears fast. It's great if you think you'll only get hit a few times a run.

The drill is OP and only gets better as you get better at the game. The fights get harder as chest quality goes up, but you can also get extra drops from them. I don't think the drill can fail.