Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The regular season is sputtering to an end. Playoff hockey is on the rise, and the offseason thread will get to Hart and Vezina talk soon enough. But gently caress that poo poo! That's not why you're here! This is where we pick the worst of the worst players/coaches/GMs/humans of the season, for this is...

THE 2ND ANNUAL 2015-16 MIKE MILBURY GOLDEN SHOE AWARDS

Da Categories

The Alex DaigleDoug Wickenheiser Award

Awarded to the player in their first year who had a really bad and/or disappointing season.

2015 Winner: Leon Draisaitl

The Wayne Gretzky Award

Awarded to the coach who's strategy and roster management makes an atom coach look like Pat Burns.

2015 Winner: Randy Carlyle

The Adam Oates Award of Knowing Goaltending

For the goalie so bad, that he's barely a step above a shooter tutor.

2015 Winner: Kari Lehtonen

The Sergei Kostitsyn Abandonne Award

If you know a forward that doesn't know the meaning of the words "backchecking" or "defending"; if his Corsi and Fenwick For% look like they'd have a GPA of 1.0, then this is the place to vote for him.

2015 Winner: Tie between Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak

The Rory Fitzpatrick All Star Defence Award

Some defencemen are slow; some are caught out of position a lot; some can't pinch or maintain a play at the point. The biggest offenders go here.

2015 Winner: Luca Sbisa

The Dale Hunter Award of General Niceness

The NHL is ripe with cheapshotting, goalie running pieces of poo poo. This is where you vote for the biggest rear end in a top hat.

2015 Winner: Slava Voynov

The Jay Feaster Is Fat Award

Bestowed to the General Manager who is the biggest detriment to his team with his overly generous trades, overpriced free agent signings, villainizing of key players, or all of the above.

2015 Winner: Don Sweeney

The Quebec Nordiques are Proud to Select Eric Lindros Award

The Least Valuable Player trophy, given to the player who's the biggest detriment to his team, or to the generally worst player in the league. The Hart has two different meanings, and so does this one. Pick one and roll with it.

2015 Winner: Luca Sbisa

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:BRAND NEW AWARDS FOR THIS YEAR:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

The Steve Simmons Memorial Award for Word Vomit

Once upon a time, sports journalists used to report facts on teams and players without need for dramatics, or outright lies. That era is dead and rotting in a ditch. Vote for the worst offender of the year.

The Marcel Aubut Platinum Suitacse Award

NHL owners have always been a pit of vipers that would sell your family to ISIS if the price was right. They threaten to move if they don't get a free stadium. They shut the league down every 10 years in an effort to kneecap the players union. The most repugnant of them this year needs to be outed so we can shame them. Shame!

Stiev Awt fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Da Rules

1) To participate, fill out the following ballot and email it to SASgoldenshoe@gmail.com with your SA name in the subject line.

2) The points are weighted 5 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd for all categories.

3) Discussing your picks is welcome and encouraged.

4) Voting is open until the end of the NHL Entry Draft on June 25, 2016.

5) If you want to make a change to your ballot, send me an email with the changes you wish to make.

pre:
The Doug Wickenheiser Award

The Wayne Gretzky Award 

The Adam Oates Award of Knowing Goaltending

The Sergei Kostitsyn Abandonne Award

The Rory Fitzpatrick All Star Defence Award

The Dale Hunter Award of General Niceness

The Jay Feaster Is Fat Award

The Quebec Nordiques are Proud to Select Eric Lindros Award

The Steve Simmons Memorial Award for Word Vomit

The Marcel Aubut Platinum Suitacse Award

Stiev Awt fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 11, 2016

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Can I vote for the entire Toronto Media?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm not sure whether Dorsett or Bartkowski was a larger detriment to the Canucks which I think says a lot about how I'm voting for worst GM.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
As bad as Therrien is I feel like Roy has worst coach absolutely locked down

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Playoff posting = true #yolo

Also, GO WINGS

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Man, Holland is bad but he probably isn't even top 3 on worst GM

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Needs a "Fallen From Grace" category for former beloved player who is now ruining some team.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Neodoomium posted:

Man, Holland is bad but he probably isn't even top 3 on worst GM

I'm putting him on my ballot, probably 3rd, just because I'll be damned if he doesn't get a vote.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Krime posted:

Needs a "Fallen From Grace" category for former beloved player who is now ruining some team.

and the nominees are:

Patrick Roy
Trevor Linden
Cam Neely

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Someone help me identify bad hockey sportswriters. I can only really think of Jason Kay/Ken Campbell/Matt Larkin because holy hell is THN bad. Other than that I can only really think of throwing in Adrian Dater as a lifetime achievement nominee (which I might do anyway), but I'm sure there are others out there much more deserving of my vote, I just have no idea who they are.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Someone help me identify bad hockey sportswriters. I can only really think of Jason Kay/Ken Campbell/Matt Larkin because holy hell is THN bad. Other than that I can only really think of throwing in Adrian Dater as a lifetime achievement nominee (which I might do anyway), but I'm sure there are others out there much more deserving of my vote, I just have no idea who they are.

Rob Rossi three times over.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Also there should be a most embrassing email category

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I sense a few repeats from last year. I can't see Kari not coming back (or sharing it with the other Finnish corpse in green).

We could also use a memorial category for great stat sites or twitter people we've lost.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Good on last year's worst rookie winner Leon Draisaitl for being much better this year.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Someone's going to have to come up with a really good argument to sway me from writing Jim Benning three times

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the more votes other lovely GMs get, the worse it looks when he still wins by a landslide

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Therrien is bad yeah, but for some reason Patrick Roy just has that thing. Therrien's team by the end was awful even if he was making tons of mistakes. Roy's team had tons of potential and completely screwed the pooch.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i voted for jack capuono as worst coach because there is literally not one coach in the league that does less with more.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dandy Kaiser posted:

i voted for jack capuono as worst coach because there is literally not one coach in the league that does less with more.

His badness is underrated but Roy and Therrien are titans of Randy and Oates calibre.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Willie "Play Derrick loving Dorsett more than the Sedins when down by a goal in the 3rd" Dejardins may have a say about that

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It's recent so it may be clouding my mind of other bad sports writing, but that dude who had a meltdown about O'Reilly and the Masterton should be up there.

I'm sure there are great opinions about Kane from early in the season, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Does it have to be an active coach? Because gently caress Mike Johnston so hard.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does it have to be an active coach? Because gently caress Mike Johnston so hard.

Randy Carlyle won last year despite being fired midway through the season so fired coaches are fair game.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

His badness is underrated but Roy and Therrien are titans of Randy and Oates calibre.

Roy is actually not demonstrably worse than Capuono honestly, Cappy is just buoyed by the fact that the Islanders are a much better team than the Avs.

If Capuono were coaching the Avs, they would be just as bad.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I actually think Roy is a much worse coach than Capuano. Roy actively spits in the face of all accepted analytics and alienates his best players. Capuano is still bad but at least he seems to do a few things right.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Capuono has done plenty of his own alienating (Strome) and analytic denial (Strait, Zidlicky, Bailey)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Capuono has done plenty of his own alienating (Strome) and analytic denial (Strait, Zidlicky, Bailey)

True, but I feel like Roy actually says to the media that Corsi is for nerds. Capuano just has His Guys who happen to be possession black holes. Every coach has that to some extent.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
https://twitter.com/THNKenCampbell/status/719234046811860992

We have a last minute entry for the Steve Simmons award

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I can only really think of Jason Kay/Ken Campbell/Matt Larkin because holy hell is THN bad.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Roy called out his leading scorer this year for celebrating a goal because Roy felt embarrassed by a loss. Capuano just makes general statements about "some of the guys" not working or benching youngsters periodically, which almost every coach does.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Roy called out the Wild beat writer for trying to encourage Wild players to injure his guys after he sent out Cody "Alternate Captain" McLeod to hit Granlund and crush Charlie Coyle off the face off. And had Gabriel Landeskog punch Mikko Koivu

gently caress Patrick Roy

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He basically prevented Crosby, Letang, Kessel, and Malkin from scoring. Also the treatment of Sprong

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I've been saying gently caress Patrick Roy since like 1993 at least so I see no reason to stop doing this

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mind_Taker posted:

I actually think Roy is a much worse coach than Capuano. Roy actively spits in the face of all accepted analytics and alienates his best players. Capuano is still bad but at least he seems to do a few things right.

He does pull his goalies real early though, which is a thing analytics guys were suggesting for ages. He bad though.

That Buffalo writer who wrote the thing about ROR has to be the worst for writing. Or maybe something written about one of the Kanes. Maybe even by that same Buffalo writer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daigle actually had a good rookie season, by the way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Daigle actually had a good rookie season, by the way.

It was considered disappointing at the time. 51 pts in 80 games would be swell for a guy picked 15th overall with moderate expectations. For a guy picked first who was averaging Gretzky-like totals in Juniors, it's disappointing. Especially since the team was just as bad during his first year as they were beforehand.

That said, I'd not object to it being called the Doug Wickenheiser.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 10, 2016

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said, I'd not object to it being called the Doug Wickenheiser.

Holy poo poo...!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

On the owners' award, there's an owner I'm voting for which makes sense if you look at the picture and read the description closely and think outside the box in the sports world a bit.

Curious to see if anyone else votes for them. I probably was thinking waaaaaaaay too hard on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Sent. I don't read sports journalism so I had no votes for that bit

Daigle award probably took the most thought

• Locked thread