Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Happy International Workers' Day!

Last month we learned that some of the cabinet may have been less than honest with their finances :monocle:, a new 'national' 'living' 'wage' was introduced, and lovely people wasted money on both sides of the EU debate, no doubt earning themselves a tidy profit in the process. The weather was all over the loving place, some people say that's because the Earth's magnetosphere collapsed, but they're lying. A former London mayor had bathroom troubles.

In The News
• Rejoice, proles! You now get £7.20 an hour, assuming you're over 25, not an apprentice glass collector, not on workfare, and haven't been encouraged into self employment by the DWP.
• After tax avoidance allegations, Tory MPs are quick to remind us that wealth is not a dirty word and Jeremy Corbyn also got paid for doing a job for several years, so who's the real bad person here, huh?
• Also did you know that some of the Labours made some dumb jokes about Israel on the social media. That's as bad as holocaust denial.
• Ken Livingstone did double down with some irl Hitler comments though, which was probably ill advised, and then hid in the toilets. It's a good circus for the media though, to distract you from things like
• The cost of immigration tribunals is set to soar massively, because the country is run by spiteful pricks.
• All microchips made after April now have to contain dogs.
• A lady had her 90th birthday. A Daily Express cartoonist came out of retirement to celebrate in some sort of style.

Come What May

Erskine
UKMT April 2016
UKMT March 2016
UKMT February 2016
UKMT January 2016 - Not The Best Month
UKMT December 2015 - Happy Xmas (War Is Over (lolno))

Clifford
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

Peter
Scotpol Thread

Theresa
EDL/Fash Thread

Johann Friedrich
Europol Thread

Frederick
Trainchat Thread

Gibbs
Political Cartoons Thread

Dan
#ukgoons on synIRC. It's mostly active during Question Time, but there's always some people around (thanks crispix).

Finally, keep the following in mind

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k21kOJYchnI

OwlFancier posted:

It's not really fine because it's three poor bastards getting killed because they have no idea what they're doing.

But I don't know how else to react to it.
I suppose it's better than them being competant and killing other people. If the video stops people thinking that it would be cool to go out there and play ISIS then it's a good thing.

e:

Darth Walrus posted:

First it was casings. Then it was actual bullets. Abu Hajaar just did not know how to handle that weapon. A pretty good breakdown of what exactly happened in that vid, and the surrounding context.
Adding this good summary from where we left off with ISIS.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

are you still voting to leave the EU out of spite?
I'd like to vote whichever way makes the world as a whole better, but neither side has really made a coherent case.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

There is a good left-wing argument to leave the EU. Unfortunately it's being made by none of the half dozen campaigns that seem to exist so I'm pretty sure I'll just end up voting to Remain without any real passion or optimism that the EU won't continue to be an awful force for neo-liberalism with poo poo like TTIP. Marginally better than the alternative. I do wonder if the lack of passion from a lot of people who would probably lean Remain won't end up with Leave winning, if people just can't be hosed turning up on the day.
The SWP campaign has been making the Lexit argument, but it suffers the misfortune of being made by the SWP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know about better but I find it hard to see how remaining in the EU could realistically make the world more poo poo than leaving it.
I think the worst-of-all-worlds option is Theresa May's plan to remain but scrap as many of the human rights protections as possible, not just for the UK but for the precedent that it sets.

I don't even know how she can propose that in seriousness without public outcry, but maybe that's public wrong about everything striking again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NewMars posted:

OP is good except.

We must never forget. :colbert:
See #4 though. The only evidence we have that he hosed a dead pig is in the Daily Mail, which as we know lies. Even once true things become lies once printed in the Mail.

This presents a certain conundrum, since he hosed a dead pig.

EvilGenius posted:

I do feel for them, clearly not for their cause, but stripped back to raw human experience they've either wilfully or naively entered into this hopeless situation, because their path through life lead them into the hands of ISIS. I don't believe in inherent evil. If these people were born anywhere else, their lives wouldn't have ended in a mobile shed full of incompetence, nor would they be out trying to kill people.
There is the issue of people traveling to join ISIS. I don't believe that's inherent evil either, it's about identity and marketing, and they also benefit from the right wing conflating all Islam with ISIS. Hopefully videos like this will take away from their appeal, but when mayoral candidates are making 7/7 insinuations in the press and it isn't met with universal condemnation then they're doing ISIS's's marketing for them. It's certainly a few times worse than sharing a Norman Finkelstein meme on social media.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Where do you think you are, some bloody communist country? In Britain we celebrate the Early May Bank Holiday.
Legend has it that if any UK bank holiday gets a name that isn't the blandest most generic poo poo ever then the government will fall. It would be almost as bad as having a national holiday.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

(we could use a :toff:)
:wotwot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As one of the few authentically working class officers on this force...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Extreme0 posted:

The Communist Party of Great Britian Minor Leauge?

Wow that's embarssing, being minor of a minor party.
Marxist-Leninist. Although they seem to court Stalinism a lot. Maybe they should be the CPGB-HL.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would watch a talent show where members of the public compete to be the country's best medieval shipwright and then the winner gets to conn their ship to Normandy.

Like that Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars crossover where they all made WWI era aircraft. That was cool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/726872855493939201

The Express still refusing to admit that the metric system happened.
They use Celsius (which is still not a real SI unit) whenever it's unseasonably cold and Fahrenheit whenever it's unseasonably hot. It's tabloid journalism in its most primal form of 'which looks most shocking?'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

all temperatures should be in Kelvin from now on, we all need a reminder of how small a difference it really is between 273 degrees and 300 in the grand scheme of things

how can you truly hate the immigrants when all of us are surrounded by a cold dead lifeless void of nothingness
The Express will never use a temperature unit associated with black bodies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a key tenet of Stalinism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm convinced that a significant audience for The Sun is people who flick through the front, declare it 'all bollocks', mostly read the sport and fluff bits, and vote Labour. (source: pubs)

I don't think the same is true for the Express or Mail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

Gerry Adams running riot on twitter again.
Bad news for politicians with gray beards.

e: 1777 - The code duello is adopted as the proper form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced but nevertheless widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tips are bad in the same way that charity and foodbanks are bad. They shouldn't need to exist and act as a bandaid over the real problem. However when Sajid Javid talks about tips being optional I suspect he does not have the same end goal in mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I thought working in the kitchen was generally even worse paid and hellish than waiting tables? All the places I've worked as a waitress the kitchens were full of 14 year old kids earning £2 an hour and getting yelled at by the chef.

Tips definitely shouldn't be counted as workers pay, but I don't really see the issue with splitting it between the front and back staff.
Problem is, 'splitting tips' normally means that the manager/owner gets a cut, or it's code for one of those ridiculous "tip clubs" that are harmful to workers. I think the ones that can leave a worker earning negative tips are illegal now, but there's still some skeevy margin based ones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marenghi posted:

What's a tip club?
That's the second time I've heard them mentioned, but Google only returns some business networking organisation or thinks I've misspelt strip club.
This kind of thing.

It's not a pay-to-work scheme, because that would be illegal. It's a tips club, very different.

e: it's okay though, because they've stopped doing the thing that they vehemently denied doing.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 2, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

anyone committed to defrauding the state could do so easily.
*edits to say I've applied for 30,000 jobs in Panama*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stop the writing of petitions, words are purely projections of semiotic constructs that cannot actually convey 'ideas'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the EBU has absolutely no opinion on how straight our bananas should be, whether or not we're allowed to torture people for looking a bit foreign
Fairly sure forcing thousands to listen to this atrocity would later be denounced by the UN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's what happens when you put your faith in science. :smug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

Our acts are poo poo because Wogan made the Eurovision into a joke.
It wasn't supposed to be one?

quote:

There's no reason why Britain's Got Talent should somehow be okay
:agreed:
Some things are just unjustifiable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thehustler posted:

Draw a line from Yorkshire to Newcastle and out in to sea and there's your estimate of where it's going.
It's Gideon's Northern Powerhouse crashing into the Arctic Ocean?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
With a map, a ruler, and two agreed upon points.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Yorkshire is a big place.
That's why it's important to agree the two points.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, we're talking about a line that allegedly goes from Yorkshire to Newcastle (assuming Tyne and not Lyme) without crossing Middlesbrough, so that rules out York and Hull, and then crosses over into the sea, so I'm going to say Halifax, or possibly Leeds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

OTOH - police helicopters; Chinooks; traffic helicopters
Those don't sound nearly as loud as a sonic boom and are necessary to keep the riff raff in line, so they'll tolerate those.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can confirm that nothing was audible in Leicester over the car horns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

blowfish posted:

The dumbest thing about all this is that greenpeace and news articles based on the press release keep going on and on about the bit replacing the precautionary principle by risk management (probably because it would make things like stretching GMO approval processes out to last forever harder) while barely mentioning anything else. Ditching the precautionary principle in favour of more realistic ways of dealing with risk is one of the more sane things that could be implemented so the message is "TTIP will get rid of a piece of stupid regulation" and not "TTIP will kill off loads of useful regulation, too".
Risk aversion in in vogue at the moment though, especially when it comes to chemicals and genes, which I am told are both bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best thing to put on chips is a piece of buttered bread either side and some tom sauce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Non-brewed condiment', surely?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I skipped to the previous page so if this is reposted then welp but http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/03/government-hid-fact-it-paid-for-2012-olympics-film-aimed-at-muslims

Government tricked journalists to go to Afghanistan/Pakistan to interview athletes preparing for the 2012 Olympics, not telling them until afterwards that it was only about Muslims from strongly religious countries and that its purpose was to be propaganda for the Islamic world.
I'd be okay with the journalists who pretended to be concerned friends to interview the parents of dead children being sent to Afghanistan. Maybe even slip a CIA pinbadge in their press kit.

I'm sure I've seen some of that Home Office funded propaganda on social media, it's pretty transparent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not having a proper day is the most British thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not entirely sure what's going on in this map but I think it means that London is aggressively wrong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crashbee posted:

Why have they decided to illustrate mayonaise with a jar of French mustard
Presumably the same reason that the outline around the HP sauce includes the shadow and NI has more plate than chips. :cryingtayto:

forkboy84 posted:

Anyway. TTIP is pretty hosed up, isn't it? The EU is pretty bad you guys.
They are. I'm not convinced that Brexit would lead to Britain taking a principled stand against it though, the current lot would just take TTIP without all that silly Workers'/Humans' Rights stuff. Although the ensuing chaos around a Leave vote would definitely oust Cameron and the neolib side of the Tories, which might let some of the more protectionist oldschool Tories stall it until someone less poo poo takes the reigns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Isn't American biscuit some kind of crumpet-like thing?
It's a plain quickbread. Some old Scotsmen still call them biscuits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Pissflaps is sat in a lawn chair in his new garden and the person from the takeaway delivers it to him without him having to leave his seat, do they get a tip?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if Pissflaps is sat on a lawn chair in his front yard, so they're actually traveling less far than if they had to ring the doorbell?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ed8mgJ5B0

I hope this leads to an embarrassing charity single. Both because it would be funny and it might shame the government into giving a poo poo instead of farming out social services to American tweenagers. Although I'm not holding out any hope on the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Relief for Corbyn as Hamas confirms their support for his leadership describing it as "painful hit that the Zionist enemy received".

Maybe this will boost his image on the world stage?
Related Articles "UK Jews blamed again - this time for Leicester winning EPL title"

I had no idea the conspiracy went so deep. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread