Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This seems to be the same CNN crowd that is really excited about The World is Flat. High speed internet proliferation means that even individual jobs can be outsourced! Anyone in India can do nearly any job, for pennies on the dollar! Isn't this exciting and great!?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-668400

quote:

The reasons why the flattening of the world "will be seen in time as one of those fundamental shifts or inflection points, like Gutenberg's invention of the printing press, the rise of the nation-state, or the Industrial Revolution"

• An explanation of "uploading" as one of the ten forces that are flattening the world, as blogging, open-source software, pooled knowledge projects like Wikipedia, and podcasting enable individuals to bring their experiences and opinions to the whole world

• A mapping of the New Middle--the places and spaces in the flat world where
middle-class jobs will be found--and portraits of the character types who will find success as New Middlers

•An account of the qualities American parents and teachers need to cultivate in young people so that they will be able to thrive in the flat world

•A call for a government-led "geo-green" strategy to preserve the environment and natural resources

•An account of the "globalization of the local": how the flattening of the world is actually strengthening local and regional identities rather than homogenizing the world

Competing with everyone else with an internet connection, who ultimately are willing to work for a lot less sounds so great. I can't wait to find out if I have the character type to survive as middle-class.

http://video.mit.edu/watch/the-world-is-flat-9145/

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

One of the examples in the talk is an impoverished ceramics dealer in Peru who opened an e-store and is now trying to get his people's locally made ceramics made in China for cheaper.

This was an example of helping the local economy, for reasons I can't fathom. Sounds like this one guy will do okay, while selling out his entire village: selling their cultural heritage while also outsourcing their jobs.

e: Now imagine Canada, the UK and the US as Peruvian villages and Mulroney, Thatcher and Reagan as the enterprising young man. Instead of pottery, they sold public institutions and whole industries. Progress!

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 5, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How many STEM jobs will there be in 4 years? Between outsourcing, ITT Madras turning out grads that will want your job for less on a visa, and whatever other trends in the market, and a recession it's not much better.

The market can only support so many petrochemical engineers. What would forcing arts majors into those fields do besides making more people compete for fewer jobs?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RedMage129 posted:

The best part of the ballooning education costs is that now even the most basic jobs require a bachelor's degree but it's so commonplace that employers don't consider it worth paying more for. So you are required to go massively into debt and you're working for 12 to 15 dollars and hour as your grand reward.

This while Boomers keep talking about working your way from the mailroom to the boardroom.

I think you need a degree in Business Logistics to work in the mailroom these days.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I suppose it is a question of the purpose of the university system. Tuition in Ontario climbing 200% since 2000 is not related to the value of a degree. I would almost say the value is declining. However, as people have pointed out, you need a degree for many basic jobs.

• Locked thread