Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Looking at doing an over-dramatic theatre nerd, possibly a Fae. I'll come up with something soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Kestrel Makala

As long as I can remember I've been fixated on the arts. I love to dance, to act, to sing, to paint...Ultimately I want to be a performance artist. I've been annoyed for a while that I was too young to be part of the New Romantics movement, not to mention being in the wrong country. I've put on a few one-woman shows in the area, but I don't think they went over very well. Everybody came expecting Tiffany, and I was giving them Laurie Anderson. I love the theatre, also, and I audition for every play and musical at school, and I usually wind up being cast. They never seem to take my suggestions on pieces to perform, though. There's no appreciation for Brecht in this crummy town...

My dad says that mom disappeared a long time ago. I never knew her, and he never talks about her. It seems to make him sad, but also kind of worried. Dad is native Hawaiian, but I don't know anything about my mother's background. We don't really have any family outside of each other, so we're very close.

I've always been different from the other kids, though I don't really understand why. I've always assumed I just had nothing in common with my peers, but that doesn't stop me from trying to make friends with everyone. Art relies on me being vulnerable and exposed. Dad says I'm a total extrovert, my peers call me a showoff, and a lot of my teachers say I want attention, but I just find people interesting. How can I understand myself, and how I fit in, if I don't understand other people? It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle when I can only see one piece. Recently, though, it's become more than that. I want people to listen to me, and to understand me; I want them to feel how I feel. There's so much inside of me that it threatens to overwhelm me sometimes and I have to find some way to let it out.

quote:

Kestrel Makala
The Fae
Look: Disheveled, Lyrical Eyes
Origin: Fae Blooded

Stats:
Hot +2
Dark +1
Cold -1
Volatile -1

Moves:
Faery Contract: If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
- they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
- add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
- they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

The Constant Bargain:
When someone asks you to do something important for them, and you do it, roll with hot.
- On a 10 up, they lose a String on you, and you gain one on them.
- On a 7-9, choose one or the other.
- On a miss, you’ve shown that they can walk all over you, and they take a String on you.

Backstory:
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Sex Move:
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self:
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

quote:

What you did to get detention.
I skipped school to go to the park and get a nap. I figured I'd just slip in later in the day and nobody would be the wiser. When I got back, though, one of the teachers caught me and gave me detention.

quote:

A song/music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNahvGXVWl0

quote:

A staff member or fellow student you know something weird about.
Our art teacher, Mrs. Levinsky, has an interesting library at her home. I was at her home once to return an anatomy book I had borrowed, and there were very, very old codices bound in some sort of leather. I didn't want to ask what it was, but I snuck a peek at one of the books and it was full of some weird old language that I couldn't read. It was all handwritten, and some pages were written upside-down, others seemed to make pictures, all kinds of bizzare stuff.

quote:

A place in the neighborhood you know.
There's an old diner that's been around for decades down on Kirby St. It's a little rundown, and not in the best part of town, but they make the best eggs I've ever had! They're kind of a weird color, with these red streaks. I think they use paprika or something to make them that way. I go there pretty regularly, but it's always kind of empty. I always wondered how they stayed open all these years with so few customers.

quote:

A hobby or interest you pursue outside of school
My father loves to tell me old Hawaiian legends, and the history of our family. At home, I paint pictures from the stories such as Kāne, god of the wild places, Hina, goddess of the moon, and our family's nā ʻaumākua. Sometimes I wonder if my father believes in these old stories, but for me they are simply inspiration for my artwork.

Lager fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2016

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

Everyone: Beach Week festivities started Friday night, with a party at Gary Powers' house. Who do you see there? Make a move against them. What happens? Also, what do you do for the rest of the weekend? Detention starts on Monday... better get your kicks in before it starts.

I see Geena Tritten, a popular girl at school. She's never paid much attention to me, but I feel like there's more to her than she lets on. She's not vapid like so many others at school, and I want to know her truths. As the night wears on I go talk to her, running my hand along her shoulder playfully and smiling. I can tell that she wasn't expecting this, but she seems to enjoy the attention. We spend the rest of the night talking and I find out that she's actually quite the bookworm. we have a delightful conversation about The Name of the Rose that seems to last for hours.

Turn someone on: 2d6+2 12, I get a string on her.

For the rest of the weekend, I mostly spend it sleeping and painting.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kestrel Makala: What's the one piece of artwork that you've made that makes you the happiest? What's the one piece of artwork made by another that makes you most angry? How much do you know about what you are, and who knows more than you about what you are?

My favorite painting that I have ever made tells the story of Hina, the goddess of the moon. Hina dwelled among the mortals and was an object of desire for all, but she grew frustrated of being a face in the crowd - no matter how attractive. She escaped to the moon and became a goddess. Something about that story has always struck a chord with me - the idea of a woman who is so tired of being pursued by other mortals that she escapes and decides, "gently caress this! I'm a goddess, now!" She manages to get away from humanity and finds out she's in control of her own destiny. My painting depicts Hina flying up to the moon while mortals line the beach reaching to her, begging her to stay as she ignores them entirely and goes off to the destiny she chose for herself.

As far as artwork that infuriates me, I'd have to answer with Harold Pinter's Betrayal. Dad took me to see the play and, I'm not sure why, I had a visceral reaction to the performance. I wound up almost ripping the arms off the chair I was in. The play almost had to end early because one of the lights came loose and crashed to the stage, nearly killing one of the actors. They cleaned up and continued very quickly, though some of the illusion was broken for me and I calmed down after they resumed. It was a very well-written piece and well-acted at the performance I saw, but I don't think I'd like to see it again. I still refuse to watch the Jeremy Irons film version.

I don't know what you mean by "what I am." I've told you about all I know about myself - I'm the half-Hawaiian girl who paints sharks in her spare time and pisses off her audiences at every performance. Though I do feel like there's something my father hasn't told me about my mom. Now that you mention it, though...Mr. Schump, a local policeman, has harassed me a few times. I figured he was just a creep, but he made some comment about how he'd find out if I had anything to do with disappearances and other odd happenings. Not sure why he'd think I was capable of anything like that.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Frgrbrgr posted:

Kestrel Makala: So, who are you - the beauty among the crowd or the lonely goddess? And what do you think your mom's secret is?

I am the former dreaming that I will become the latter. If I'm being honest with myself, though, I couldn't ever really give up being the center of attention. But I do like to feel distant, aloof, and mysterious.

As for my mom, I always assumed that she ran off with some other man because that's the obvious first guess. But then, when I was about 12 years old, I decided it was time that I learn more. I pushed him pretty hard and he seemed...scared, somehow. I sort of wonder if my mother, or maybe her family, might've been dangerous somehow. Nowadays I suspect that we're in witness protection or something.

quote:

What recently happened in your presence that couldn't be explained?

My car (it's a junker, nothing special at all) started stalling out last week. When I took it in to get fixed, they assured me it would be about 45 minutes. I rolled my eyes and walked to the record store nearby to browse for music while I waited, though there wasn't much available that I was interested in and didn't already have. By the time I had wandered back over to the mechanic's, it had been about 55 minutes, but they said the car still wasn't ready and started insisting that they would need more time and money if I wanted the car fixed. I started to get pretty angry - they had promised me that it would be 45 minutes, and an easy fix, and now they were obviously trying to hustle me because I was just some poor little girl all by myself.

Eventually the big dumb ape behind the counter that I'd been arguing with walked out to check on something. As he walked down the stairs from the office area to the garage, the railing suddenly came loose and he fell down the remaining stairs hard, cracking a tooth on his way down. I climbed over the counter to smirk, and eventually wound up talking to another mechanic who was far more amenable. I got the car back within 20 minutes, for the original price we agreed to. Weird thing was, apparently the screws hadn't popped loose or anything, they sheared off entirely from the wall, every single one of them, all at the same time. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

Someone has resisted all your attempts to make a friend of them so far. Give them two strings.

Natasha's always made me really uneasy. She looks at me like a wolf looks at a piece of meat. I try not to piss her off, but she's one of the few people that I keep my distance from.

quote:

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

quote:

You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

I'm thinking Stella, Calvin, or Krystal for this one.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Rather Watch Them posted:

I think Kestrel is just adorable.
And Krystal seems to be going places, too. Hmm...

Stella was in the audience at one of my one-woman shows, a 15-minute one-act play that I wrote and performed about the idea that you could never prove your own existence was reality and not a delusion. Most of the audience was...unsupportive, to say the least, but Stella seemed to enjoy the play. Almost like she thought I was performing it just for her.

(Assuming you were leaving it open for either Krystal or I to pick up, let me know if I misunderstood your post)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Frgrbrgr posted:

Still missing a couple to finish this off:

[s][b]From Ravenna: Someone really needs to loosen up. Give them two Strings on you, and they start with the condition killjoy. Suggestions: Natasha, Kestrel

I can take this as well (looking at it as Kestrel being so wrapped up in herself that she doesn't know how to just kick back and have fun), but I don't want to be overly greedy with grabbing strings. If anyone else wants to go for it, please feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

GodFish posted:

Going to give it to Calvin instead to spread the strings around a bit more.

Thanks, that sounds good to me.

Krystal and her band might not play my kind of music, but I would be the first to admit that she has a fantastic command of the stage, especially for someone in high school. (Highlighting +Hot for Krystal)

• Locked thread