Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If I can pry myself back away from Monster Hunter 4 long enough to finish Fire Emblem Fates before July, I'll probably treat myself to the new Kirby as a little palate cleanser before new Monster Hunter comes out and dominates my free time forever.

edit: ITT I pretend like I don't also have an obscene backlog in my Steam library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

Man I don't even know what any of that means, my eyes just kinda glazed over trying to read it. I'm guessing they're going for a kinda lego dimensions thing where you can customize some poo poo or something.

lol at this bit tho

This quote is amazing. It's some real Poe's Law poo poo. It reads like exactly how a jaded millennial would assume a person who markets, but doesn't play, video games would talk about characters that they designed via committee.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo please tell me this is real

I, too, want to watch Game Grumps suffer through 8 hours of Sun levels.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CrashCat posted:

We can use it when Corn suddenly pulls a Stux mid month. All according to keikaku

I really hope Monster Hunter Generations has stupid translator jokes in it again. The entire Argosy voyage crew in MH3U was just really great.There was a palico named "Neko (Means Cat)", and the Argosy Captain said stuff like, "You need to have a keikaku! Which is a plan!"

Because of the way signal noise works on the internet, I have a hard time telling if I'm in the majority or minority by unironically enjoying all the dumb jokes that they put into localized Monster Hunter. I don't care what Guildmarm was like in the Japanese dialogs, I like the weirdo who talks to people like she's running a daycare center, and wants to gently caress a dinosaur.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

axleblaze posted:

Isn't the Nintendo e3 confirmed to just be Zelda? Like I know people were assuming they'd have a direct but I thought even that was confirmed to not be happening and to just be a treehouse focusing on Zelda

They're claiming it's just Zelda, but I'm hoping we'll also at least get more info about what the heck the NX is besides "the thing that Zelda is coming out on".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

Nah they said no nx talk at e3
Youre gonna need to wait until fall.

A pox on Nintendo! A curse, I say!

Let them announce Linkle as the main protagonist of the next Zelda, and burn in a torrent of weird 90s-kid grognard tears.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blister posted:

I think people just still haven't gotten over how irrelevant Nintendo has become in gaming after the DS and Wii successes.

3DS is still going strong. It's kind of telling that I only own like 5 games for the Wii U, though. They dropped the ball on that one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

axleblaze posted:

I had a friend tell me that he saw people were really mad that you could play a female Link and he was surprised when I told him that to my knowledge that hadn't really been confirmed anywhere.

I love it when people get mad about Linkle or the idea of a female Link in general. I would challenge anybody to give me a good reason why Link's gender matters at all. He never gets into romances of any kind, among other reasons being that he's a silent protagonist who communicates in nods and grunts. He's just an avatar for the player who goes on adventures that don't factor into his masculinity or whatever.

It's like when nerds get mad about a black Spider-Man. Miles Morales notwithstanding, there's no reason whatsoever why Peter Parker has to be a white guy, besides the fact that he was created in the 1960s by a white guy, like every other Marvel Superhero. That was back when you couldn't have a character of non-white or non-American origins without having them be defined completely by a ridiculous cartoon stereotype.
I mean, look at this 70s-rear end motherfucker:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blister posted:

That sounds like your friend was in an abusive relationship imho, she should leave mcdonalds and go to the police

Yeah holy poo poo. Did she marry that guy? Because he is straight-up a psycho control-freak who probably will murder her later.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

Uhmmm excuse me, ocarina of time link got involved with like every girl in that game by grunting and doing fuckall. Fuckers had to erase him from the time continuum so he could avoid all the people he'd accidentally gotten engaged to. all the fish too. something something no gay marriage in din's country

Yeah, but it never gets paid off. He gets kissed on the cheek or something. Doesn't count. Double doesn't count for Princess Ruto, who probably can't tell the difference between humans without consulting a textbook, and therefore would have gunned just as hard for Linkle's flattered, but terrified, hand in marriage.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

This, except it's the steam backlog
I wasn't really being serious :( sorry if it seemed that way

I wasn't trying to be argumentative :shobon:

Anyway, I hope Zelda NX has a gender toggle at the beginning of the game so my girlfriend can make fun of me for playing as Linkle :j:

edit:

Stexils posted:

linkle is cool but id rather play as a female link than a new character with a similar name
or that

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Evil Eagle posted:

The new Kirby is going to be spectacular. I want to get MH Generations but my MH friends refuse to play it because it runs at 30 FPS while MH4 runs at 60. Oh well

Lucky for you, there's a whole thread of broken-rear end people like you and me over yonder who will gladly stab dinosaurs with you all day if you join our Discord channel :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

axleblaze posted:

It's weird to me that publishers can't seem to grasp the really obvious concept that the majority of people don't want a big gaming statue and of those people, they want a character they actually know and like rather than a character from a game they haven't played yet.

It doesn't help that even when it's an established IP, most game characters are so generic that no one would want a statue of them either, I mean, I love the Infamous games but :lol: if you think I want a statue of generic, bald, white dude. Even Souls though people would get excited by a generic suit of armor.

This reminds me: Remember when Blizzard used to let you special-order a 3D-printed statue of your WoW character in all their gear? At one point I was so brain-fried by WoW that I probably would have gotten one if I wasn't totally broke at the time. I seem to recall they were really expensive for being just a plastic statue with some personalization on the pedestal, probably so Blizzard could recoup the cost of what had to be, at the time, a fuckin space-age 3D Printer.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was actually a 3rd party process that Blizzard simply endorsed, but yeah.

Yep here it is

http://www.figureprints.com/wow/

lmao yeah. $130 + shipping, holy poo poo. I know a bunch of people bought them, though, because the figureprints would pop up in like forum posts and blogs, which I guess is just a lesson in economic inequality :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

To be fair, it gets a lot less "publicity" than WW2. All I knew about WW1 before college was "there were trenches and Germany did it. France surrenders lul."
The France thing was outright wrong, and the Germany thing was only technically true, but doesn't really account for the actual clusterfuck of circumstances that led up to all of Europe getting involved.

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to get around to is, this year's election will have new voters who are too young to remember 9/11, and it will probably be 20 years before that whole thing can be processed into a cute information salad like Pearl Harbor. I wonder if most kids could even tell you which state Pearl Harbor is in. I think if I hadn't visited Pearl Harbor as a kid, I would have assumed it was in like California or Florida until the middle of high school :v:

Kids in 2050 will have a similar cartoon semi-understanding of our current events. I bet everybody will assume that the "911 Towers" were in Washington DC, since the Pentagon got attacked, too, or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

exquisite tea posted:

You're a glimpse into the future where we are all anime catgirl babes, as Nature xirself intended.

Fuckin, at least I'll be in better shape after the change comes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed. Pachinko is super lame, Slot machines are super lame, pinball is good.

It almost feels like pinball is making a bit of a return in the US? Not major, but I feel like I'm seeing more arcades pop up around town, more new tables being released, and a poo poo ton of virtual pinball games being worked on.

Yeah, with the advent of places like Dave & Busters, arcades are making kind of a weird revival here for people who remember arcades existing and are now old enough to drink :v:. It's kind of a mixed bag, though. My girlfriend sent me a photo of a Flappy Bird cabinet when she went there with some friends the other week.

As far as I know, they never stopped making promotional pinball machines for like blockbuster movies, but damned if I could tell you where to find one. The movie theater arcades here have pretty fixed collections.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

muscles like this? posted:

Like how the third person shooter Ghostbusters turned one of the easiest enemies in the game invincible.

Didn't Arkham Asylum do a thing where they messed with a coefficient in the gliding physics, so you eventually reached a gap that you straight-up couldn't jump across?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like a streamer friendly game to play with friends and have fun with.

Seems like my kinda game to be honest.

Oh, neat. There was a vampires vs. hunters Half-Life mod that I used to play, that this reminds me of. All dark-rear end night time maps, with a lot of high-up places and stuff that the vampire team could use to take advantage of their stealth and mobility powers.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the streamers love this. It's like a much more thematic version of that secret murderer mode in Garry's Mod that blew up like a year ago.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/prison-school-anime-funimation-gamergate/

The best part was that Gamergate immediately started harassing the only woman on the team, who wasn't even the one who signed off on the line.

Anyway, here's the real gem from the article's tweet sources, which tells you everything you need to know about Prison School, and the Venn Diagram of people watching Prison School who would also be offended when the precious name of Gamergate is besmirched:

https://twitter.com/SpacemanHardy/status/647255544563138560

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Level Slide posted:

GodDAMN I'm hype to finally play my boy Aiden Pearce again

I hope Aiden Pierce is the Mayor of Chicago and we're playing as his intern, who has to do all the dirty work while Aiden looks REALLY ANGRY FOR THE CAMERAS, like usual, but he's wearing a suit now. Whenever the game's day/night cycle hits a Friday, Aiden is wearing one of 2 dozen novelty ties.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm interested in #FE, but in reality my summer-fall gaming schedule probably looks like this:
June: Try and hammer out the rest of Fire Emblem Fates before July 15
July-August: all Monster Hunter, all the time
September: Kirby, and still Monster Hunter
October: Yo-Kai Watch 2
November: Pokemon Moon

plus also PC games when I feel like it. My Wii U will continue collecting dust :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I used to love Mutant League Hockey. You could explode the Goalie with like a special shot, and the goal would just be undefended for like a minute. You could arrange a special play called "Waste the Ref", where the referee just gets fuckin assassinated and you have a period of no rules, anything goes play until they pull in a replacement ref.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

omg chael crash posted:

Totally hoping the rumors of a Skyrim remaster are true

On the PC, we've had a Skyrim remaster for years now :smuggo:

But seriously, I'm at the stage where I don't trust Bethesda to actually do as well or better than their insane modding community.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shindragon posted:

Rose is.

Raiden was mostly hated because of Kojima pulling the switch on us and not many people like how we went from badass Snake, to a newbie whose only experience in combat is VR training.

This always weirded me out a little bit. Like, Metal Gear gameplay kind of speaks for itself. I think most of Snake's characterization prior to like MGS3 is mostly reflected in his reactions to poo poo that Otacon says to him. He's just kind of a gruff cipher for the player.

If I were Kojima, I don't think I would have counted on people getting as attached to Snake as they did, given that. He still delivered on the stealth-action in MGS2, while greatly expanding on that world's story. Were people just mad that they learned Raiden's life story instead of Snake's? And, if so, why? Snake's life story wouldn't start to really kick rear end, in many cases, until some of the reveals during MGS5.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phantasium posted:

The dumbest thing in MGS4 is the stack of robots in a trench coat that follow you through mission 3. It is simultaneously the greatest thing.

I think MGS5 is a tie between Snake's robot arm that shoots out a rocket fist, and absolutely everything involved with the Fulton Recovery System.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Actually, I take it back. D-Dog, the dog who stabs people to death with a knife he carries in his mouth, is the best thing in MGS5.

My original choices are still tied for dumbest.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Unfunny Poster posted:

I have more apprehension for buying a Ubisoft game than an EA game.

This is from hours ago, but
With a couple of very notable exceptions, I feel like what you get from Ubisoft is a very consistent experience. It's like picking which variety of Dr. Pepper you want.
[ ] First-Person
[ ] Climb Everything
[ ] Magic Phone

You pick one of those, and get that feature bolted into a very expected framework that all three share: open world game with outposts and collectibles.

I could see how that would be somehow comforting for the type of person who gets really pumped about annual franchises. In Ubi's defense, especially for more recent games, they do manage to squeeze at least one very cool thing into an otherwise by-the-numbers experience. I had a lot of fun abusing the grappling hook in Assassins Creed Syndicate, for example. Watch_Dogs was dumb as hell, but it was kinda fun to use the hackable appliances and stuff as a slight twist on stealth segments. I feel like I'm able to be moderately enthusiastic about maybe 1/3 of Ubisoft releases, and the rest are just kind of "competent, but unremarkable".

I think there's still a place for that; that's the kind of poo poo I would have 100%ed every one of them back when I was a kid with infinite free time. They fill the niche that a Banjo Kazooie used to fill.

I think EA is a lot more of a crapshoot. They pump out a lot of stuff that hovers between "hot garbage" and "passable", but their gems are real gems, like Mass Effect 2. Like, the contrast between a passable EA title and a great EA title is much more noticeable than the analogous lineup from Ubisoft, where a great Ubi game is like exactly the same as a passable Ubi game, only with like one fun toy or a likable protagonist.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Prop Wash posted:

and that's when the entire packed E3 conference auditorium stood up, applauded, and all agreed to give up their projects because Ubisoft was Full Of Win

Animal Petting Simulator was the only redeeming feature of Assassins Creed 3. I'm glad they brought it back. I hope I can also pet a cat, and maybe an especially brazen pigeon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lurdiak posted:

Call me a furry if u want but playing as a bulldog knight in a DnD adventure would be awesome.

This, but I'm a pug who's a bard.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I thought Gone Home was pretty tense, if you got hooked by the story. I was fully expecting to find the younger sister's body up in the attic with sleeping pills or something, and it was a huge relief when I found her travel itinerary instead. Which I'm pretty sure is what they were going for.

I dunno. I love walking simulators, so I'm probably not the best person to defend or not defend them. I like Gone Home because it's interesting to rifle through this house and figure out what all was going on there. I like exploration gameplay like that, it's kind of meditative for me.

I think it's fair to say that Gone Home is less of a game, and more of something like an interactive film. However, I would also posit that the sheer vitriol leveled against it on the internet back when it started to pick up momentum is evidence of a more extreme agenda on the part of those who expressed it. I think it only somewhat matters what that agenda is; whether it's because this vocal anti-Gone Home demographic was furious about teen lesbians or female protagonists, or simply furious because somebody made a game (or piece of software if it's that big a deal) that wasn't targeted specifically for their market, both of those situations are pretty pathetic, and totally worthy of being called out and mocked.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You could easily tell the story of Gone Home in any other medium without really losing anything in the process.

This is a bad argument, in my opinion. You can tell a lot of stories just fine in another medium. You could tell the story of Mega Man in one of those cardboard Baby's First Picture Books, but that's moot because it's just a framework for gameplay. It's closer to the point to say that decades of novels proved that you can just as well tell the story of Star Wars in the non-visual medium of books.

I think there's room to for games that use the trappings of a video game (moving a character around and prodding the environment) as a way to focus primarily on a story. I'd argue that that's what a JRPG is, especially somewhat earlier ones like Final Fantasy 4 or 6. Yeah, there are some puzzles, and you technically get into fights, but it's all reading dialog and navigating cutscenes... it's not a test of skill. I think it's fair to assume that the same people who get furious about Gone Home's lack of gameplay are probably also nostalgic about Final Fantasy, which is hypocritical in my opinion.

Arguing that $20 is too much for a one-hour game is also not a great hill to die on. You can't have it both ways; if a game is meant to be a serious medium for creative expression, then you can't price its content by volume. I'd say you might price its content on quality and brand power, but that's how a lot of things are priced anyway. Is GTA V a better video game than Gone Home? Probably. Is it just 3x better? Is it 10-12x better? Would you argue that Gone Home should cost $5, or that GTA V should cost $200? How fair would that be for the developers and the market?
Given that video games are a leisure and a luxury in the first place, developers should charge whatever they can get away with. I don't think a $200 game would reach a particularly large audience, for example, unless you do a thing where you trick people into gradually paying that much in subscription fees. I didn't pay $20 for Gone Home. I paid like $8 or something on a Steam Sale, which is about what I'd pay for a movie ticket. Given that I enjoyed the game about as much as I'd enjoy a movie, it seemed appropriate. I don't begrudge the devs for deciding, initially, that $20 was a fair price for the thing that they worked quite hard to make.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"I'm using a roundabout way to say that you shouldn't market a black character to me, because I can't identify with him as a human being."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bloodychill posted:

Notch's "wake up, sheeple!" tweets are kind of the funniest thing. We are nowhere near the bottom of the downward spiral he's sent himself into so I'm expecting it's only going to get worse.

I'm definitely expecting him to get into drugs with the next couple of years, in a desperate attempt to feel something. I think he's hung his identity too strongly on being some kind of redditor dork archetype, and will never realize that he's rich enough to have yacht parties and a private helicopter, and the kind of therapist/life coach that he would need to actually learn how to enjoy that stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

In Training posted:

Yeah he should see a therapist to figure out how to enjoy being a billionaire

Like, I'm serious. His mansion looks like an office, and he has a room full of giant candy dispensers that, as far as anybody knows, he just kind of eats by himself while he tells feminists on twitter to "stop #cuntfusing the issue" in what I assume is his finest fedora.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lurdiak posted:

Does anyone else have this thing in action video games where as you keep fighting increasingly difficult enemies, seeing one of the simple ones from the early stages is like seeing an old pal. You're like "Oh it's my buddy from stage 1, not one of these annoying tough guys. How you been."

I get this way in Monster Hunter. Like, when you're in an unstable map or an expedition that can sometimes spawn unexpected monsters. I'll be fighting some mid-to-endgame fire breathing dinosaur or giant lightning wolf or some poo poo, and then the very first tutorial monster, Great Jaggi, kinda waddles into the battlefield. At that point I'm usually just like, "Aw. Buddy :kiddo:"

He's kind of endearing because, despite looking like kind of a lovely T-Rex, he behaves a lot like a dog, and all his moves are really predictable and chumpy. I kinda feel bad about kicking his rear end at this point, so I either ignore him and keep fighting my actual target, or scare him off with a dung bomb. However, it's on if he manages to hip-check me or something while I'm paying attention to the actually dangerous monster.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
After I pick up my car from the shop, I gotta decide which chillout game to play while I shame-watch Minions. I'm kinda vacillating between Skyrim, Sims 4, and Prison Architect.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

StashAugustine posted:

I have friends that really like Halo 1 I guess

(confession: never actually played Halo 1)

:same:

I was a little console warrior back when it came out, so even though my buddy's older brother had an Xbox and Halo, I had a lot of scorn for Xbox's huge, boat-like controller.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

spudsbuckley posted:

Sony had Shenmue 3 and the FF7 remake at their conference last year.

They literally made peoples gaming dreams come true.

You say that, but FF7 is going to be an episodic title and Shenmue 3 didn't get enough in its Kickstarter for all the potential features, so it's probably gonna be like Shenmue 3(Part 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Node posted:

Is there any clue if remastered Skyrim will be able to use regular Skyrim plugins? Is it just a retexturing or are they doing significant changes? Or is there no idea.

I didn't stay up for BE3; does the remaster have any bug fixes, or is it just better textures? And if so, are they better than the HD Texture pack they released for PC already?

Also, I can't go back to Vanilla Skyrim after installing all of the enhanced cities mods and like a shitload of equipment and spells, so I hope existing mods will still work :v:

• Locked thread