Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I forgot we had a new thread, so hopefully I haven't missed anything. Anyway, I finally got around to watching Man-Thing and it wasn't that bad.

I mean, I have a huge range for these things because I literally started a club for watching terribly made movies, but overall it was like the best swamp-based horror movie I've ever seen. A full list of gripes would be:
1. Swamp Thing never burns anybody.
2. He kills the only character who doesn't fear him.

and the general gripe that is either your native characters have an intimate association with the land and know more about it than the plundering whites, or they don't. These kind of mystical horrors always like to have their cake by exploiting native myths or involving native seer characters and then oh wow they get themselves killed because they naively think their prayers and rituals do or mean anything to a thing they literally have myths and legends about controlling. It's more insulting than just pretending they don't exist because you're making it an active plot point that their beliefs are bullshit.

On a scale of Anaconda to Howard the Duck it rated a Didn't Develop Alcohol Poisoning From Drinking Every Time Howard Was Creepy Or Made A Duck Pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I blame Dr Manhattan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

TELL THE STORY
He was an abusive husband and father and an alcoholic. One of his son's chores was to make him homebrew at the age of 7. When his son was 10 he took the family's savings and disappeared until forty years later he was found frozen to a park bench.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That's a technique reserved for Inuit worshipped war heroes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It looks like it was coloured by Hergé.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ferrule posted:

That's how we got a green hulk, dingus.
The second worst colour of Hulk.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, other than Kitty Pryde I can't think of a character that's inherently without value. People made amazing Carnage comics in the last decade.
Hal Jordan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I could really live the entire rest of my life without seeing Glowy Eye Frowny Face Superman again. Like at this point that is his natural, resting state
First you must defeat the ghost of Alan Moore in critically acclaimed crossover Days of Profits Past.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I liked the bit where they updated the ethnically Chinese teenager with fireworks powers to a vampire, a creature that thrives only by sucking the lifeblood from American industry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Idran posted:

Kind of a stretch for an allegory unless you're going "corporations are people, my friend", isn't it? :v:
Well they are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno owns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's second-best at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC-efhnPdKo&t=34m35s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There hasn't been a good Zelda on console since the SNES.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Why the gently caress would you ever want to run out of orcs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

That game has a lot of weird decisions, like making you fight Uruks and Graugs instead of orcs and trolls,
Stephen Colbert would have your head on a plate.

Uruks are orcs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not the one he should be mad at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Er6qo2ViKw&t=200s

The game goes out of its way to make this distinction.
He's just an orcaboo. They're not cartoons, son - they're anime.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone remember what that loving horribly racist golden age comic was where some white businessman had the hand of an "african killer" grafted to replace his own and it was somehow making him evil and it looked like a monster claw for some reason?
At least one of them was Captain America Comics #9, but you're kidding yourself if you think there's only one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I legitimately think that Hank Pym is one of the best characters in Marvel, and part of that is because he's a superhero that is just shat on constantly - in universe and by readers - but despite depression and an inferiority complex he just keeps on super-science trucking. The only times he doesn't work is when a writer decides they need to rehabilitate (or in the case of Ultimate/alternatives just emphasise the gently caress out of) him being thought of as a physically abusive husband despite having hit his wife fewer times than Reed Richards or Peter Parker.

He's quintessentially a 'Marvel' character in that his story isn't just inventing poo poo that makes his dick bigger as compensation, it's his struggle to be a hero despite being haunted by his past. Removing that past and struggle just makes him a boring shrinkyman that rightfully needs to be succeeded by - get this - a criminal trying to be a hero despite being haunted by his past.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

redbackground posted:

Glover is absolutely great on Community. It's everything else where he's just the worst.
That's not true.

Girls Are Not To Be Trusted is a great sketch, and there's that video of him talking about when he learnt his name was Dong Lover.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I liked all of Community except the parts where Chase was an rear end in a top hat in real life and Glover got real depressed and asked them to put him on a bus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Never trust a goon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sometimes I order things from Amazon that aren't books.

They're CDs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It isn't the 90's anymore.
I was going to say my full discography of the Distillers says otherwise, but it turns out that wasn't the 90s either.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a reason no one made a gif of the full thing.

Sweet Nightcrawler cosplay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Invisibles is how you freebase Morrison.

I look forward to your thoughts on the ending.

e^^^ no because Marvel doesn't have a huge inferiority complex about their competition. DC did make Marvel analogues around the same time as Squadron Supreme but they've never used them again, let alone given them their own on-going.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah but Namor doesn't do anything embarrassingly lame like talk to fish.

He fucks their humanoid queens.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Did you ignore the two posts before yours?
Justifiably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't have confidence in you simply because there's been 15 hours of July already and all you're doing is making excuses about something you had a month to prepare for. Unacceptable.

• Locked thread