Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

The man basically made it big by exploiting a whole bunch of boy bands to the tune of millions of dollars. And if I remember correctly he only has a confirmed complete collection post-Crisis.

For reference, this dude pays people who used to be The Doctor to star in his fan films of Doctor Who that he wrote and only he is able to see. That's how much money he has. Getting a complete DC collection would "only" run, at most, a couple million dollars in comparison.

As I understand it, Levine actually made his fortune twice - the first time was in the 1970s and 1980s when he parleyed his career as the number-one DJ at the Blackpool Mecca into songwriting and production, which made him a mint because he was on the Hi-NRG train before it left the station. Then he lost most of it after he poured his money into a record label which was going to feature all the old Motown stars from the 1960s recording songs that he'd written (more or less the musical equivalent of conscripting Sylvester McCoy to appear in his Doctor Who fan films), which predictably failed. Then he made it back in the boy band boom in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

That mini was written after Identity Crisis and either after Infinite Crisis or with full knowledge of what happened in it, I forget. All the jokes (in addition to Sue constantly being mistaken for pregnant, there's a bit where Max threatens to shoot Beetle in the head) are 100% intentional.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that after he heard about the ending of Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Kevin Maguire went back to the last issue of said mini before it went to print and changed the art on the last page to show Blue Beetle and Max Lord sharing a friendly laugh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I love how the first time we learn Wolverine's real name is when the colony of leprechauns who live in Banshee's ancestral castle use it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy the Fantasticast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It didn't occur to me until today that the "NOT A DREAM! NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!" blurbs Stan Lee put on the covers to a bunch of Silver Age Marvel comics were a dig at DC.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

Is Sinn Fein still taking about a reunification referendum, or did someone walk that back while I was asleep?

There's been some discussion - Sinn Fein is always talking about border polls, but I think we'll have to wait and see how things develop in the meantime before anything can happen because a poll can only be called by the Secretary of State when there is evidence of a clear likely change in the situation, and that isn't clear yet.

I'm a bit disappointed because stopping a unification referendum was basically my entire motivation for voting to stay in. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wales voted to go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Kind of fitting seeing as 1985 is the time period a lot of the voters who voted to leave remember fondly. Now if they can only re animate Thatcher's decomposing corpse.

I am pretty sure that a lot of the voters who voted to leave were the people who either lost their jobs or whose parents lost their jobs when the pits closed in 1985. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like the working class voting against its interests is a new thing.

Well, that's the basic tension isn't it? I personally think you're making a fair enough point but I feel that the natural riposte would probably be something like (going by my own experience), "And who are you to tell us what our interests are?"

Anyway, here in Norn Iron, we are now being treated to the quite bizarre spectacle of Ian Paisley, Jr. recommending that we should all get Irish passports (I was already getting one anyway because it seemed like a good investment).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 25, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When you think about it the EU vote was a proletarian revolution against the interests of the liberal democratic bourgeois establishment. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the politically correct term is "Communazi".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Will I be too stereotypically tumblr if I complain about Gwenpool being too conventionally attractive?

Yes, probably.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

The inexplicable lack of leggings is ridiculous as it is, but it seems like, given her story and everything, she should be more of a plain jane and not yet another hyper fit, good looking ideal human specimen.

Sure, I know plenty of "normal" and "plain" people (some of them are even comic book fans) who are "hyper fit" and "good looking ideal human specimens".

Because they go to the gym and eat healthily instead of sitting around all day like I do. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a general opinion question I'm curious about: Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Amazon shows my first order as being in the year 2001 and it being a CD! More specifically Both Sides of the Brain by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. That's a good CD.

I didn't have an account on Amazon until 2009 or so (because I didn't have a card before then - the first thing I bought were the first three Muppets movies on DVD), but I remember I once saw my mum's buying history and the first thing was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for PS1 in 2001 (Christmas present for my cousin, I think).

It's strange to look back at the stuff I've blown all my money on.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

I would say that the one nut they've never been able to crack, which they periodically continually try to replicate is Spider-Man. I largely think it's basically impossible for DC to do so, but DC has tried on and off for decades at this point to have their own S-M, even though the overarching genetics of the company makes it basically impossible.

I believe Chris Sims made the case that they managed it in their own way with Wally West as the Flash, but they've obviously walked that back a couple of times now.

I reckon Impulse could have been Ultimate Spider-Man a decade or so early.

X-O posted:

Well, someone's mighty defensive.

Aquaman, not Superman, is the character most emblematic of DC Comics. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 30, 2016

• Locked thread