Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My cousin made me watch this when I babysat her. Really makes you wonder just how effective the scouts were without Moon back on the Moon Kingdom if they can't kill the weakest minions without her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My friend got me to start watching the new dub, and I like it. I preferred the original English voice actors, and it's kinda jarring to hear clearly Japanese names in the midst of all the English, but on the whole I like it better.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wanna see the one with Samantha Bee as Sailor Moon

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Stats in this game tend to be fairly weird, from what I recall. Everyone is extremely skewed towards one direction and falls well below average on literally every other front. Sometimes you'll have characters on the same level where one collapses when she's looked at funny but kicks the rear end of everything onscreen and another takes 1 damage from everything, and in return does 1 damage to your enemies.

Or maybe I'm just bad at accessory equipping.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 8, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Son of a bitch I wanna play along

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Speaking of, how come Queen Serenity never reincarnated?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Nope.

Gaea was here first. She birthed Uranus, the sky. Then married him because people were weird back then. Uranus did the dirty with Gaes and created Kronos/Cronus. Uranus became a dick because in mythology everyone does, so Gaea gave Kronos a sickle to kill him with (and his blood fell in the ocean and became Aphrodite). Kronos then fathered Zeus's siblings with Rhea and ate them because he was worried one of them would overthrow him. Rhea gave him a stone disguised as a baby and sent Zeus away so he could grow up and kill Kronos.

Mythology is weird, y'all.

Also, I think Saturn becomes stupid good later on.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well she did leave a hospital 30 seconds ago

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I loaded up my old save file and I completely forgot about the actually somewhat cool thing the game does with the final boss. I don't think I've ever seen it in any other game. I'm mostly posting this so that I remember to talk about it when the time comes, unless Scoob already plans on it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

MightyPretenders posted:

The way I understood it, Earth stayed a sovereign entity the whole time. Though it did get very jealous that it's own satellite had already colonized the entire rest of the solar system.

All About Eve 2: All About Serenity

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never understood why people name their kids after themselves. But then again I have a butler name and oftentimes wonder how my parents could hate a baby so much

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They're all gay for friendship

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wish I could find the original dubs somewhere. It's seriously jarring hearing "Usagi" and "Mamoru" and the like in the midst of the English. Plus I really don't like some of the new voices.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

So since we're dealing with completely static attacks from everyone, the only thing we have to look forward too is... a bunch of hot, hot numbers-going-up action?

Up and down. Everyone in this game is either tankier than a bank vault with no damage output whatsoever or they're an atomic bomb that falls apart from a stiff breeze

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the Anime Freak reference. They got 'em.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 23, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leveling up Mercury is probably the last painful of the lot. Girlfriend can take a speeding train to the face and not even need to fix her hair.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's really no other reason to not spam your strongest attacks in this game. Other than if you're fighting multiple enemies or just one

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"In the name of Mars, I'll chastise you!"

They couldn't come up with anything better? Because when you command fire, yelling seems kinda lame

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Man, watching the original dub makes me appreciate just how great Terri Hawkes was. She completely nailed Serena.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mini Moon actually isn't bad...as long as Saturn's around.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sailor Moon versus The Power Rangers? Screw a dub of Stars, THAT'S what I wanna see

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only thing I know about Sailor V is from that one episode of Sailor Moon where the cop woman from Sailor V comes to visit

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really liked that they gave Kaolinite vague PTSD after reviving her in the anime. She was still a bitch, but she was basically Dr. Tomoe's assistant while making GBS threads on Hotaru.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sailor Saturn: The Soldier of poo poo Wrecking

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Uranua, Neptune, and Saturn, Team You Wish You Were As Cool As Us

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm really curious as to why people want to have the outers keep going considering we've had like exactly one time the team hasn't consisted of Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn alongside Moon.

Would you say "no" to a teenage girl who can destroy the planet whenever she likes?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's kinda odd how in the anime Moon is the strongest Scout, but in this game she's absolutely not. She has decent all around stats in a game that is absolutely not designed for a character like that. Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Saturn, and Uranus could all kick her face in. And anything else for that matter.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She still wrecks poo poo, though. A lot of the monsters of the week were actual monsters. She healed when she could but more often than not they got killed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

kefkafloyd posted:

Neptune's problem is that they didn't define her character as anything more than 'gifted violin player." It felt like they went "Hey, here's this really cool character, with a lot of depth. She's a fierce competitor who pushes herself hard on all fronts. She's a tough fighter who pushes against gender boundaries. oh and here's here girlfriend too I guess." I know there's more to Michiru than that, but it's what it feels like.

I always got the impression that she was the brains of the Uranus/Neptune duo. She was the first to awaken out of EVERYONE (excepting Pluto, maybe, kinda fuzzy on that), and has some kind of psychic abilities. She's quiet, gifted, and powerful, and she keeps Uranus grounded.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Dango Bango posted:

Not only is Pluto level 16 when she joins, her stats are absolute poo poo. She's really more like level 12 or 13 stat-wise. And that might be too high as I haven't actually checked.

True but now you can never lose. Ever

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
People may have issues with Crystal, and I do too, but I feel they did a good job at making Venus more of the leader she's supposed to be. But count me in among the people who wish they'd do more characterization on them in general.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cheese Pain posted:

Sailor Moon started airing on TV for the first time in North America when I was in junior high school. I was miserable and being bullied so badly I'd come home every day in tears. Having Sailor Moon to look forward to every day after school was something that I could hold on to, and I had never seen a show where the girls were the ones who kicked all the butt. I loved it. I would daydream about becoming a senshi myself and being way more awesome than the people who made my daily life hell.

It inspired me to try to be more confident and attempt to become the person I wanted to be. It didn't happen for a few years because I was so painfully shy and socially stunted. Thankfully, I met some really nice people in High School who actually wanted to hang out with me and liked me for who I was, and I started to come out of my shell.

As an adult I'm happy with who I grew into and so grateful that I had the Sailor Moon Crew as role models at a time when I felt completely powerless and unworthy of having friends. :unsmith:

There's one that stuck with me for years. It was during the Black Moon arc (which I only remember because Shine Aqua Illusion is in it). The MOTD brainwashes civilians to talk poo poo about Amy and destroy her confidence. She eventually confronts the monster herself, and the other Scouts, minus Moon, show up, so the monster creates an illusion of the Scouts mocking Amy. It does the same to Moon once she shows up. She sees the other Scouts calling her klutzy, dumb, and a loser. And I remember what happens next perfectly, even though I only saw the episode once. Moon cries for a second then bursts out "AUUUUUGH All right gimme a break! So I'm not Albert Einstein material and I do flake out sometimes! I admit it OK? See I really don't care! I'm way used to getting bad mouthed!" The monster replies "This girl's actually proud to be a flake?" and Sailor Moon retorts in one of those goofy close ups with a big ol' grin and "Yes I like being unique!"

Hands down the best message I ever saw on the show. Own yourself, faults and all, and no one can have that kind of power over you.

The show is cheesy as hell but there's some great gems like that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leave Venus behind because if she had done her job in the first place, the Moon Kingdom would still be around so she needs to sit in the corner and think about what she did

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Geez Neo-Queen Serenity...you couldn't magic up a mammogram machine?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it's better than the new dub of the same episodes. The voices have a TON more character to them and they have names reasonable to the language of the show. The only issue I have with it is the thinly veiled "the scouts were captured by the DD girls" and the kissin' cousins.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Waffleman_ posted:

No, you see, anything that's in English isn't allowed to have Japanese characters in it because their names aren't English.

That's not at all what I'm saying. I just mean when everything else is in English, it's a little jarring to hear something that's so clearly not. I just prefer Serena, Lita, Mina, and Rini to Usagi, Makoto, Minako, and Chibiusa.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Waffleman_ posted:

I hear what you're saying. I have to call my Japanese friend Jimmy because it's just so jarring to hear a name in a different language.

Clearly you don't hear. There's nothing wrong with having a name that's not English. At all. When everyone is speaking English with no distinct foreign accent, you don't expect to hear a Mamoru (or Francois, Javier, Fuad, Thilo, or Thamer). That's all.

EDIT: VVVV Exactly. It's nothing you don't get used to, it's just weird at first.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 7, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Here's a fan story that totally for real happened

Does evil exist?
The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did Neo Queen Serenity create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, she did!"

"Neo Queen Serenity created everything?" The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If Neo Queen Serenity created everything, then Neo Queen Serenity created evil since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are then Neo Queen Serenity is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Silver Millennium was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of Queen Serenity. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of Neo Queen Serenity. Neo Queen Serenity did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have Neo Queen Serenity's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name? King Endymion, the ultimate Sailor Moon fan

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's give Pluto a chance to stretch her legs

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was going back and forth between Venus and Pluto before I decided everyone needs to see the horribleness/awesomeness that is Pluto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's the problem with this game. The way stats work, you're encouraged to use the same party start to finish and it fucks you over for doing so

• Locked thread