Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I'm glad that voting test chat has come around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

I think the news lacks self awareness.

quote:

By consistently covering Trump's argument over time, and by following up on it, media outlets did their job to inform voters. That was why Tuesday night's collective Captain Renault moment was so strange, and so demonstrative of why many media consumers are skeptical of what they're hearing. Instead of a debate on the facts -- should Hussein have been removed? Did he "kill terrorists," in a contradiction of what Americans were told before the war? -- there was manufactured outrage, straight from a rival campaign
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage%2Fstory

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Would people ITT be mad if they did compensate people would paid back loans in a hypothetical situation where college becomes free and/or all loans are forgiven?

(Hypothetical bc this is never happening)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Shrug. I paid mine back, mostly due to family help. I don't see any reason they should compensate me and people like me, but if that's what it takes to pass a loan Jubilee or free college then sure, whatever.

(Am I misreading that question? I assumed "would" was supposed to be "who")

Yea you're right. Didn't proofread my message.

People were jumping on axial but I didn't see him actually say he was against it. I think it'd be a common sentiment that some people that did pay would be pissed they're out potentially six figures while everyone is forgiven or free. It would definitely be something that would have to be addressed. However, I don't think most people would try to stop it because of that, so before people start yelling crab bucket at me please consider that.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

No, it's not. Our generation got hosed, but it's not a reason to gently caress over the next. We're not owed any more than we should already be owed, regardless of whether future students get free college or get the shaft.

And besides, think about how satisfying it will be down the road, when we get to complain to our ungrateful brats how hard we had it back in the day. And we'll actually have the moral justification for our annoyance, unlike when our spoiled baby boomer parents' generation complain about lazy "kids these days".

How will it not have to be addressed? Whether they compensate people would paid off their debts or not, they're gonna have to talk about it at some point. Do you think opponents won't use it as a talking point to try to derail it?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wait, can't you already do this by amending the constitution right now?

You can overturn a bunch of them by just amending or passing new laws

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

This guy is trying to serve discovery requests

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Can a private lawyer even have a security clearance?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I'm at this Dallas blm rally and people are going nuts.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Stuck downtown currently. A guy told me he saw one person shot and taken away in ambulance.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

More shots fired

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why in gods name would you go to reddit for this?

I fairly sure I heard a police radio downtown say a possible black suspect. Don't quote me tho, and it was a good while after the first shots

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

i've seen myself in like three of these videos, must have been a lot closer to the shots then i thought :stare:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Made it out of downtown sometime around 1030 finally. Cops basically had downtown split in half, probably walked ~2 miles to get to the other side to get to my car

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Glad to hear you are safe.

thanks you and everyone else

It was a nice peaceful protest/march, cops helped block all the interesection and let everyone march unhindered. Few people were yelling gently caress the police but crowd wouldn't echo it like they echoed the other chants. Sad this happened

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Can someone tell me what/where parkade is in Dallas?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

mayor speaking now

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

suspect said "the end times are coming"

"bombs all over the garage"

not sure they have all the suspects

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Mystery Goomba posted:

seems like a strange thing to mention at a press conference

Twice the chief of police (i think its the chief) has said that after he finishes the conference hes going to go back to the scene and deal with it. So yea

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

They said to go to dallascitynews.net for more information which of course it already ddosed

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Welp press conference just said they weren't sure how complicit the planning organization behind the protest is

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Guy on Fox 4 just implied the people at the 7-11 were going to ransack the 7-11

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Ahaha, the Fox crew is behind the police line at the 7/11 now. So terrified of the dancing black people... :rolleyes:

"I uh, saw some people, uh, flexing earlier"

actual quote

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

unsurprisingly Fox 4 Dallas is directly owned by Fox themselves instead of an affiliate, as part of the TV division chaired by Roger Ailes. Fox 5 NY is also directly run by Ailes and their local news is practically an extension of Fox News Channel

Interesting, didn't know that. Unfortunately, they are the only one who bothered to invest in enough bandwidth

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

"it could be a group of folk who got together and made a vow 'ride or die'"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

"tighten the... circumference around him"

Good catch on not saying noose

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

How easy is it to get your hands on a protest route? I wouldn't think it'd be that tough, but I've never tried.

I thought he turned himself in, instead of being brought in? Probably for that same reason, though.

The route was a big loop on the the two of the biggest roads in downtown dallas, commerce and main. I assume it wouldn't be hard, and police and the city knew of the route.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

JT Jag posted:

It's 2:24, why am I still awake watching the stream of a local news station in Dallas

They have you caught in their... Circumference

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Are dead man switches really a thing people actually use, because I thought that was more of a "as seen on TV" type of thing

I think the Paris attackers had them or something similar

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Reason posted:

Police kill hundreds of people every year and ruin thousands of lives each year by arresting people for non-violent offences often disproportionately minorities and yet these police officers are assumed innocent while wearing a badge and gun used for state oppression and violence.

Also I think an important thing to note is that these officers were there because of a protest and police don't go to those protests to protect the protesters they go there to intimidate and prevent property damage. When police react to protests with a show of force it is an act of violence and oppression. Anyone who has attended a protest like that probably knows that feeling of being stared down by police in riot gear brandishing weapons.

I was at the Dallas protest and the police just stood there by their cars not doing anything during the protest

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I hope those protestors are okay

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

quote:

What was it? it appears to have been taken down.
HuffPo said Alton brown instead of Alton sterling

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Meanwhile, we are going to seriously consider trump's plan to deport all Muslims

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Not to mention a few Supreme Court justices running for president while still on the bench. Or the multiple justices that used to be president. Acting like the court is apolitical is not only dumb, but historically inaccurate.

Which president served on the court besides Taft?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Cnn current headline is "ambush" so we'll see how correct they end up

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Pastrymancy posted:

Can he appeal?

He can ask the US Supreme Court. Don't know anything about the case so no clue what would happen

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Yea most cases aren't going to have social security numbers

Even when I clerked for a federal judge you had to have special permission to access documents with socials

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

radical meme posted:

What relief is that suit asking for?

WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs pray for a judgment:
229. For declaratory and injunctive relief declaring illegal and enjoining, preliminarily and permanently, Defendants’ violation of and failure to follow the Charter and Bylaws of the Democratic Party;
230. Certification of this action as a class action, designation of Plaintiffs as class representatives and undersigned counsel as class counsel;
231. For compensatory, general, restitutionary, restorative, statutory, treble, and special damages for Plaintiffs against Defendants;
232. Exemplary/punitive damages as against Defendants in an amount sufficient to deter and to make an example of Defendants;
233. Attorneys’ fees and costs;
234. Prejudgment and post-judgment interest; and
235. The cost of this suit and such other relief as the court finds just and proper.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Reason posted:

Some people were interested in this and the thread is quiet, remember that law suit bernie bros brought against DWS and the Democratic Committee.

So here we go some interesting stuff in that case. As I kind of figured they'd call into question the service of process and they did. I don't really 100% remember the rules for federal service of process or Florida's rules, but I'm guessing that specifically you can't serve DWS whats called 'governmental service' on the return of service because she's named personally in the complaint you would have had to serve her personally since it was at her place of employment. They probably used a lovely process company and the attorneys should have called that into question pretty much immediately. Kind of shows that its not really something they're taking seriously.

Also after a quick look service on the DNC itself is pretty loving flaky considering they served someone with the title "corporate strategist". You generally would want someone with some kind of real title(president, assistant to president, etc) or a registered agent.

Its a super boring motion of dismissal, but also completely legitimate. People please hire real process servers when you do your poo poo thanks. My prediction is that probably judge won't dismiss the case based off of this, but will give the defendants more time to respond or even require that the papers be served correctly. If I were the attorneys I would have already had the papers re-served if not when I get the return of service, at least when I saw this motion.

If you read the brief for the motion, defendant was willing to waive service and the plaintiff lawyers didn't both to take them up on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Reason posted:

See I don't know much about law besides serving papers. But that seems really, really stupid.

Yea it's pretty dumb if true.

quote:

Defendants’ counsel also again stated that she would accept service of process pursuant to Rule 4(d)’s waiver provisions, but advised that in the absence of such an agreement, Defendants would be moving to dismiss for insufficient service of process.
The latter of the two time blocks proposed by Defendants’ counsel have since passed, with no further communication from Plaintiffs’ counsel. Thus, Defendants’ counsel has made reasonable good faith efforts to confer with Plaintiffs’ counsel, but has been unable to engage Plaintiffs’ counsel in a substantive discussion about Defendants’ motion, or obtain Plaintiffs’ position on the same.
http://jampac.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/11-D.E.-11-Memo-ISO-Ds-MTD-Complaint-7-22-16.pdf

• Locked thread