Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

kikkelivelho posted:

Man, americans sure are serious about their mutant maize

I understand that GMO based products are easier to produce and harvest, but like I already mentioned, that feature isn't needed in Europe. We already produce far more food than we consume, switching to this stuff would just mean more food goes to waste. Consumers are becoming more health conscious anyway so they probably wouldn't sell that well either.

my terminator genes are telling me to say, "gently caress you rear end in a top hat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
We'd all be a lot healthier and happier if we went back to eating like our ancestors, who were usually dead at 45,and sometimes starved to death depending on the weather.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If agricultural businesses were smart they're make GMO a good thing and have a nifty GMO! label made that they put on themselves listing the things their GMO does that are awesome, and you could not use "organic" and GMO! on the same bag of peanuts. As long as the label was fun and green, like the recyclables label, people would buy into it and the pro-organics people would look like even bigger idiots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah that's one of the more hosed up parts of GMO research that pro-GMO people rarely talk about. I don't think anyone can honestly say that they wouldn't want more regulations, but GMOs are the sole domain of massive multinational corporations so good luck with that.

Well, GMOs are incredibly heavily regulated, and every single new strain is subjected to safety and environmental testing for years, completely unlike any other crop irradiated or otherwise. That's the reason only big multinational companies can afford to bring GMOs to market. It didn't start out this way, and things like Rainbow Papaya were small-scale collaborations with local farmers.

also note that irradiating crops for mutation is conventional breeding, NOT GMO

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

signalnoise posted:

If agricultural businesses were smart they're make GMO a good thing and have a nifty GMO! label made that they put on themselves listing the things their GMO does that are awesome, and you could not use "organic" and GMO! on the same bag of peanuts. As long as the label was fun and green, like the recyclables label, people would buy into it and the pro-organics people would look like even bigger idiots.

Yeah that would be a nice pro-consumer policy but I doubt we'll ever see it since manufacturers want the GMO parts of their products to be mostly unnoticeable. Maybe the EU could draft laws to do this? I'm not sure how much power EU legislation has over such things.

Also traditional and natural farming methods are not responsible for global warming. The earth has only become noticeably warmer during the last few decades and farming has been going on for thousands of years.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

blowfish posted:

I was going to correct you by saying dedicated anti-GMO people are basically Trump voters, but then I remembered America recently lost the number one spot in having dumb voters to Britain, so I'll instead consider them the same as Leave voters from the Brexit referendum.

Your correction would be a misfire anyway, as GMO pants shitters are in the American left wing, specifically couched in the kind of bitch liberal who votes for center-right for-a-fact criminals because they imagine in their third eye a real positive difference between that criminal and donald trump.

Like i understand not wanting to admit that, but yeah man anti-vaxx and anti-gmo have a really weird little cubby hole in the anti-intellectual left. There are anti-vaxxers on the right wing too, usually tied to christian science, amish, or pentecostal groups.

I used to roll with pentecostals though and they would suspect you of being one of the gays for being afraid of GMO crops, if they understood the issue.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

Yeah that would be a nice pro-consumer policy but I doubt we'll ever see it since manufacturers want the GMO parts of their products to be mostly unnoticeable. Maybe the EU could draft laws to do this? I'm not sure how much power EU legislation has over such things.
No, this should not happen, because only actual dangerous things should be labelled. Labelling something as OMG GMO means people get scared about it, because people don't know what that means (see e.g.: you) and think that it must be dangerous because it's on a label.
This is what has happened to e.g. gluten, where the gluten-free fad is largely a product of idiots thinking that food being labelled gluten free for coeliacs means everyone else shouldn't eat gluten either.

The least insane way to do this is probably going to be implemented in America, where food gets a code (QR or otherwise) you can look up, which then lists in great detail what ingredients from where are in your food, and the "what ingredients" would specify GM crops.

quote:

Also traditional and natural farming methods are not responsible for global warming. The earth has only become noticeably warmer during the last few decades and farming has been going on for thousands of years.
Yes they are, once you scale them up to feed 7 billion people.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Your correction would be a misfire anyway, as GMO pants shitters are in the American left wing, specifically couched in the kind of bitch liberal who votes for center-right for-a-fact criminals because they imagine in their third eye a real positive difference between that criminal and donald trump.

Like i understand not wanting to admit that, but yeah man anti-vaxx and anti-gmo have a really weird little cubby hole in the anti-intellectual left. There are anti-vaxxers on the right wing too, usually tied to christian science, amish, or pentecostal groups.

I used to roll with pentecostals though and they would suspect you of being one of the gays for being afraid of GMO crops, if they understood the issue.

lol pls go back to d&d.

trump has no policy platform and is sucking the big money dick for the general so he's clinton with more racism btw. also the post you quoted was implying that like trump or leave voters, people who base their political views on the GMO TERROR are morons who've let identity politics and fear tactics rule their minds.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 2, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hemophilia posted:

Like i understand not wanting to admit that, but yeah man anti-vaxx and anti-gmo have a really weird little cubby hole in the anti-intellectual left.

No I totally get this and it's why I think many environmentalist groups and leftists claiming to be environmentalists have completely poo poo the bed for the last decade by focusing on stupid issues for idiots (GMOs, Atoms, ~local farms~ and general ~decentralisation~ even though that only helps very little, ...).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What if GMO is terrorists adulterating the american food supply.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

What if GMO is terrorists adulterating the american food supply.

GMOs contain flouride, and are therefore communist crops

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The local shop here only has those Mosanto off-shoot tacos and they always make me poo poo sewage out of my rear end when I eat them.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

akulanization posted:

lol pls go back to d&d.

trump has no policy platform and is sucking the big money dick for the general so he's clinton with more racism btw. also the post you quoted was implying that like trump or leave voters, people who base their political views on the GMO TERROR are morons who've let identity politics and fear tactics rule their minds.

hemophilia posts in d&d? Not sure how a Trump supporter can do that without being on permanent probation

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

The local shop here only has those Mosanto off-shoot tacos and they always make me poo poo sewage out of my rear end when I eat them.

Probably because they're cheap-rear end poo poo made from literal bottom-of-the-barrel corn.
Please don't keep eating food that gives you diarrhea though.

AugmentedVision posted:

hemophilia posts in d&d? Not sure how a Trump supporter can do that without being on permanent probation

By getting banned twice weekly and paying the :10bux:?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
"GMOs are terrible organic is the way forward" said Europe as it cut down the last wild forest in Poland for more farmland

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lichy posted:

"GMOs are terrible organic is the way forward" said Europe as it cut down the last wild forest in Poland for more farmland

also the last unregulated river system in the balkans (before spending millions to artificially recreate its water regime elsewhere while greenpeace/bund cried crocodile tears)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

AugmentedVision posted:

D&D is a shithole lol he's just mad he has to read an opinion he doesn't like. Also just to correct the record trump is terrible but i'm not so much pro-trump as anti the other thing. The av is from a prissy lil D&D fuckboi hope this has been helpful

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
if you seriously think this gay earth can feed 7 billion monkeys without GMOs I've got news for you

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what is the news ???

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

thathonkey posted:

what is the news ???

the news is you'll be posting from the gas chamber literally

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i thought people stopped being malthusians in the 70s, what happened? Did somebody rewrite that population bomb book?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i thought people stopped being malthusians in the 70s, what happened? Did somebody rewrite that population bomb book?

GMO is a way to avoid proving Malthus right what's your point

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

lets crank that poo poo up to 12 billions boys nothing can go wrong

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I just want to reiterate that if some hypothetical science teacher reads this thread and says "gently caress it. I can no longer stand as a lighthouse against the crashing waves of ignorance and stupidity" and say there is a hypothetical mass something hypothetically right after, and if I hypothetically get selected for said jury I may hypothetically vote not guilty.

Hypothetically.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Can britain have tasty gmos now that brexit has freed them?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

I just want to reiterate that if some hypothetical science teacher reads this thread and says "gently caress it. I can no longer stand as a lighthouse against the crashing waves of ignorance and stupidity" and say there is a hypothetical mass something hypothetically right after, and if I hypothetically get selected for said jury I may hypothetically vote not guilty.

Hypothetically.

The discussion ITT has been far better than what I usually see on the net. A couple of posters have even provided evidence when defending GMOs. I don't think it's fair to judge them or imply you want them dead just because they support practices that could in some cases be considered dangerous and immoral.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

kikkelivelho posted:

The discussion ITT has been far better than what I usually see on the net. A couple of posters have even provided evidence when defending GMOs. I don't think it's fair to judge them or imply you want them dead just because they support practices that could in some cases be considered dangerous and immoral.

lol you got loving owned this whole thread

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Labels accomplish absolutely nothing other than a government endorsement of lunacy.

You hippy shitbags are getting pretty clever about trying to get them implemented though.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

Labels accomplish absolutely nothing other than a government endorsement of lunacy.

You hippy shitbags are getting pretty clever about trying to get them implemented though.

We already have labels for lactose intolerant people and such, and they've proven to be very consumer friendly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

We already have labels for lactose intolerant people and such, and they've proven to be very consumer friendly.

I will again point out that gluten-free nonsense came about because of gluten labels for coeliacs, and it is really stupid.

kikkelivelho posted:

You should actually have a look at that evidence. Especially the National Academies meta-analysis, which is an evaluation of literally all the evidence in the world on whether GMOs are healthy.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Anti-GMO would be a much more amusing term if it were pronounced an-TIG-mo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

gleebster posted:

Anti-GMO would be a much more amusing term if it were pronounced clinically retarded

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Right. Let's, for the sake of the argument, say that GMO based products have been proven to be 100 % safe. No toxin or artificial proteins or any such things. In such a (theoretical) situation, what negatives are there in putting labels on these things? Informed consumers would know that the products are safe and wouldn't care about the labels, while people who want to support natural products would have an easier time seeing what they should and shouldn't buy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

Right. Let's, for the sake of the argument, say that GMO based products have been proven to be 100 % safe. No toxin or artificial proteins or any such things. In such a (theoretical) situation, what negatives are there in putting labels on these things? Informed consumers would know that the products are safe and wouldn't care about the labels, while people who want to support natural products would have an easier time seeing what they should and shouldn't buy.

Consumers aren't actually informed.
Natural isn't a meaningful category, and only idiots think it's worth supporting. If you are marketing a product for idiots, there's nothing stopping you from putting "GMO-free" on it voluntarily.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kikkelivelho posted:

Labeling is an administrative step that costs real money and could shift small resalers and local grocery supplies out of the market allowing consolidation of the already gigantic players into even bigger near monopolies. With no health risks, its the definition of something a consumer should self inform about as opposed to mandated information because of issues like allergies.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

kikkelivelho posted:

how about its a waste of a manufacturers time and money, as well as a waste of taxpayer money for a public authority to monitor the regulation

you realise it can be very hard to detect whether a product is GMO or not? analysis costs money and a lot of time

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
of course, if you actually studied biology, you would have known this, because natural selection is very unkind to futile cycles that waste energy

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

anything that makes healthy food cheaper is ok with me

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I literally give zero fucks if it gives me mutant powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

vyst posted: