Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer holidays

First batch of TV games for August and September:

Sky

August

Sat 13: Hull City v Leicester City (12.30pm)
Sun 14: Bournemouth v Manchester United (1.30pm)
Sun 14: Arsenal v Liverpool (4pm)
Mon 15: Chelsea v West Ham (8pm)
Fri 19: Manchester United v Southampton (8pm)
Sat 20: Stoke City v Manchester City (12.30pm)
Sun 21: Sunderland v Middlesbrough (1.30pm)
Sun 21: West Ham v Bournemouth (4pm)
Sat 27: Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool (12.30pm)
Sun 28: West Bromwich Albion v Middlesbrough (1.30pm)
Sun 28: Manchester City v West Ham (4pm)

September

Sat 10: Manchester United v Manchester City (12.30pm)
Sun 11: Swansea City v Chelsea (4pm)
Mon 12: Sunderland v Everton (8pm)
Fri 16: Chelsea v Liverpool (8pm)
Sun 18: Crystal Palace v Stoke City (2.15pm)
Sun 18: Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland (4pm)
Sat 24: Manchester United v Leicester City (12.30pm)
Sun 25: West Ham v Southampton (4pm)
Mon 26: Burnley v Watford (8pm)

BT Sport

August

Saturday, August 13th: Manchester City v Sunderland (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 20th: Leicester City v Arsenal (5.30pm)
Saturday, August 27th: Hull City v Manchester United (5.30pm)

September

Saturday, September 10th: Liverpool v Leicester City (5.30pm)
Saturday, September 17th: Everton v Middlesbrough (5.30pm)
Sunday, September 18th: Watford v Manchester United (12pm)
Saturday, September 24th: Arsenal v Chelsea (5.30pm)

With no actual football happening this month let's kick back relax and post our best Man United formations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Up the Boro.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't lie, proper excited to be back in the big league.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I thought they were bringing in Friday night games this season?

/edit: I'm blind, I see they're in the list

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
come on man city

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pissflaps posted:

Can't lie, proper excited to be back in the big league.

how many seasons do you reckon you'll manage?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

We're more likely to be relegated than Arsenal are to win the league.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Wow didn't know Pissflaps was Aitor Karanka!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
In Aitor we trust.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

jesus christ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Can't wait to see all the new and exciting ways that Arsenal end up back in fourth this season

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
football is dead

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

triple sulk posted:

Can't wait to see all the new and exciting ways that Arsenal end up back in fourth this season

13/14: 4th, 14/15: 3rd, 15/16: 2nd, 16/17: ??

You can't argue with numbers triple sulk, next year is Wengys year. Fact.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

13/14: 4th, 14/15: 3rd, 15/16: 2nd, 16/17: ??

You can't argue with numbers triple sulk, next year is Wengys year. Fact.

drat, you're right. I'm ready.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Sky deciding that the first two Friday night games would be United v Southampton and Chelsea v Liverpool is ridiculous. Two of the most difficult journeys in the Premier League (in terms of traffic and public transport), and I'll bet there's no additional trains being put on.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
https://twitter.com/nonleggerlo/status/751097599109763072

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

lol how did they let that first sentence, if you can call it that, make the cut? What the hell is he even saying?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilHawk posted:

Sky deciding that the first two Friday night games would be United v Southampton and Chelsea v Liverpool is ridiculous. Two of the most difficult journeys in the Premier League (in terms of traffic and public transport), and I'll bet there's no additional trains being put on.

Ah yes you but gently caress. You. and subscribe to Sky Sports or visit your local (Sky Approved) public house instead

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Big Sakho, innocent and a free man.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

UEFA will be back for us, over something else.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

same

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Brendan Rodgers posted:

UEFA will be back for us, over something else.

It's hard not to feel like that's the case sometimes, but Liverpool are far from a perfect club. (They are the coolest, though.)

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
After all the wailing about reserve football not being up to scratch and B teams and whatnot:

quote:

It was promoted by a Premier League spokesman as a way to “help young, talented players progress physically and mentally on top of the technical aspect of their game”, but the English Football League’s attempt to revamp the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy looks set to have angered the fans of lower-league clubs, and alienated some of the Premier League clubs it was hoping would join it. All before a ball is kicked.

The competition was due to be expanded as a trial this season to include not just the 48 clubs from League One and League Two but 16 additional “invited clubs”, entering their academy teams. Fifteen of those clubs were to come from the Premier League, with Newcastle United filling the final slot.

But of the original list of clubs invited, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have declined the invitation. Question marks remain over the involvement of Liverpool because of concerns over the availability of Anfield, and Manchester United are also thought to be against taking part.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I'm torn on that issue. I would watch the Arsenal academy play in a real tournament whereas otherwise I would pretty much never catch a Paint Trophy game. But if the people who actually care about that trophy don't want it, I think ultimately they should decide. But still, many other 'successful' leagues utilize B teams with little issue, and it is a solid method of developing young talent and getting them competitive football they would not otherwise get. The main issue is that there is no good way to shoehorn in these teams, because it would be at the expense of a poo poo, yet legitimate team. Maybe if they were introduced slowly?

e: have a tournament to be the academy team that gets into the pyramid that year.

e2: and let them be relegated out completely if they suck.

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bea Nanner posted:

I'm torn on that issue. I would watch the Arsenal academy play in a real tournament whereas otherwise I would pretty much never catch a Paint Trophy game. But if the people who actually care about that trophy don't want it, I think ultimately they should decide. But still, many other 'successful' leagues utilize B teams with little issue, and it is a solid method of developing young talent and getting them competitive football they would not otherwise get. The main issue is that there is no good way to shoehorn in these teams, because it would be at the expense of a poo poo, yet legitimate team. Maybe if they were introduced slowly?

Introduce them at the very bottom of the league pyramid and see if the clubs have the patience to spend 22 years getting them promoted to the Championship imo.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

vyelkin posted:

Introduce them at the very bottom of the league pyramid and see if the clubs have the patience to spend 22 years getting them promoted to the Championship imo.

This is part of it, they would need to be inserted somewhere around where they would be competitive.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Bea Nanner posted:

e: have a tournament to be the academy team that gets into the pyramid that year.

e2: and let them be relegated out completely if they suck.

I think this is a different issue, B teams are never going to get any traction in England and neither should they its a dumb idea.

Its more that they went ahead and planned all this apparently without ever actually asking the clubs if they wanted it, and now the 5 clubs with biggest and supposedly best academy squads are rejecting the offer, its a shambles.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
An academy squad is a B team all things considered jimho. (pretty much as soon as they are inserted into the pyramid)

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
I think the academy clubs don't want to take responsibility for disrupting the pyramid and teams that exist inside would need to voice their acceptance of the process, which I doubt would happen. No one wants to be the one that poo poo in the pool.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pissflaps posted:

Didn't know you were an Arsenal fan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

After all the wailing about reserve football not being up to scratch and B teams and whatnot:

it was going to be an under 23 thing with 5 overage players or something ridiculous

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dunno what the lower league clubs are complaining about. Any decent league two side would stuff a cat one academy team.

Senior league football is a big step up for most u21 players. Even the teams that spend millions on 16 year olds don't end up with enough players hanging around to be competitive.

And who's going to use the 5 senior player slots except on players recovering from injury? It's the jpt, even lower league teams don't use the first team half the time.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The big teams rejected the idea because participation in some poo poo cup isn't worth having a proper youth side. All the worthwhile young players would still be sent on loan. Best not to annoy millions of people over this.

However having B teams in the pyramid would be worth annoying all the small clubs.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

drat I thought Balotelli would actually get a game this year with that cup

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
WADA might appeal sakho being cleared

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

WADA might appeal sakho being cleared

Full details are here. It sounds like WADA dropped the ball there:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/11/liverpools-mamadou-sakho-facing-fresh-legal-battle-over-doping-v/#ifrndnloc

I don't know how wise it is for WADA to do this unless Sakho and/or Liverpool are really that close to a lawsuit. I imagine Sakho and Liverpool just want to move forwards, though.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
wada mess

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wenger is being a tremendous gay baby trying to make Henry choose between coaching at Arsenal, which by all accounts he is incredibly committed to, and the very lucrative job of being a tv talking head, because Henry had the gall to criticize a trainwreck of an Arsenal team last season.

I hate that stubborn old oval office.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Wenger is being a tremendous gay baby trying to make Henry choose between coaching at Arsenal, which by all accounts he is incredibly committed to, and the very lucrative job of being a tv talking head, because Henry had the gall to criticize a trainwreck of an Arsenal team last season.

I hate that stubborn old oval office.

I don't think there was any expectation that he would quit the tv man job. He just fired him with trying to make it look like he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Good riddance. The last thing Wenger needs is a French Giggs snaking around.

• Locked thread