Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Super excited for this. It's gonna be hard focusing on homework when I have this to play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

I played for like five hours straight this morning >_< But got the Jaggi pieces for my BuJaBuJaBu set, just need to go find a Bulldrome room to join. But later. When my eyes stop crossing.

Prowler mode is fun, but how do you heal as a Prowler if you aren't running a healcat as your Prowler? One of my two Palico buddies is a healcat but he's been stingy about healing songs.

Also debating going Hammer for a while to beat in some Great Maccao faces for the crest drop.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Oh I'm certain Bulldrome would be a cinch to do solo, but half the fun of this game is going :black101: on monsters with other people.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

OH SWEET MERCIFUL MOTHER OF WOOL NO ONE TOLD ME THAT BLANGONGA IS RAJANG LITE.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Wow. Either I've gotten better at this game or the BuJaBuJaBu set is absolutely ridiculous, I am clowning Dromes in under five minutes with this set and Aerial IG.

I love Aerial ID's maneuverability too. Yeah, you just keep spitting that poison, Gypceros, I'm gonna be blasting M C Hammer over here while I fly over your head.

Can't touch this.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Okay. Aerial Hammer is fantastic. And is about the only thing that breaks Great Maccao's crest >_< stupid kangaroo raptor has like zero hitpoints and always dies before I can break it.

Now to convince Yian KutKu to drop one more webbing..

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

If you can tough it out, there is eventually a Hunt-a-Thon, all you can kill Yian Kutku quest. My record was 5, but I plan to beat it!

The KutKu cat armor is amazing. I've got it on my two buddies and my prowler so we pimp around as a trio of baby kutkus.

I literally just need one to upgrade my glaive. I don't think I'll wait until the huntathons to get out of a teeny sliver of green sharpness. :/

Prowler mode is turning out to be insanely good for those 'kill a ton of small monsters' quests. I like the built-in psychic letting me run circles around the boss monster.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Desire sensor was with me this morning.

Got my Yian KutKu webbing to upgrade my glaive, then I ran into Velocidrome on a 'kill small monsters' quest and clowned it in like two minutes and got the head I needed for another upgrade later on, and my Hunters for Hire keep smashing in Nargacuga face so I'm winding up with loads of parts. Two of my cats now have adorable ninja armor. The only thing I have trouble getting my hands on at the moment is Bealite ore but I think that comes later? I'm just clearing out Village 2* and Online 1* stuff. Thank you Desire Sensor.

Either the HP on big monsters has dropped considerably or I'm getting better, these big monsters are dropping like flies.

Is it just me, or is it harder to break parts in this game? I'll target parts like Great Maccao's head or tail and it will die before I break anything. (BuJaBuJaBu set and weapons topping out at 100 damage). Hammer is helping with part breaks but still, I remember parts breaking much more easily in 4U.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah there's something weird with the HP of monsters. I just finished the Mountain Roughrider Village 2* quest in 3:58:90. That includes the kill three Bulfango subquest. O_O I only have like a stage 2 Fader Rod and BuJaBuJaBu set. ?

This feels kinda wrong and overly easy. When do I start getting my rear end kicked properly?

Also that Bulldrome gave me two heads.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

So is there a 'make multiple Well Done Steaks' feature at all in this game?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

O_O I was in a room of HR2s and HR3s and we wound up doing a Teostra quest. Was not expecting him to be on such an early tier.

Spent half my time flipping away from him as fast as I could, miraculously managed to not die.

I love my aerial glaive so much for the emergency escape vault.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Where would the soonest place to find Armor Sphere+'s be?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

*grumble* I joined an Astalos urgent room with an HR3 and two other HR2s. We run through one of the others' Astalos urgent, I go to post mine, and they all bail. First the person whose urgent we completed, then the other two.

Not cool yo.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Herbotron posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4t7dgo/mix_set_for_late_lowrank_with_razor_sharp/?st=iqq63r76&sh=b6bdbd44
This armour set is pretty good, the pants look dumb though. You'll need a 2 slot talisman or one slot on both your talisman and weapon for the attack up s, but it's decent even without that.

The worst part is not being able to have colour changing hair like the BuJa set but oh well.

E: Here's a more GS specific set https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4t4lim/mhg_early_gs_set_w_fast_charge_quick_sheath/
There's one that gives crit draw instead of sheathing in the comments but it's a bit harder to make.

The pants might look dumb on that first set but if you follow the usual clownsuit naming convention you get RaRaCeRaBna, which kinda sounds like you're summoning Cthulu. :cthulhu:

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Oh my god. The Chamberlyne's reaction when you first unlock alternate housekeepers is just :ohdear: :3:

Yes, Chamberlyne, you're my favorite, I won't replace you!

On that note, the dismissing a Palico cutscene? Heartbreaking. Little fellow looks around in hurt and dismay, slinks off dejectedly, and rides a Moofah off into the sunset.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Maybe this is helpful?

You, friend, are my new hero. I referenced this guy's MH4U guide constantly and was actually wondering if they'd done an MHG one yet.

*suspiciously eyes wyvern egg quest in Village 3* * I've run into Mitzusune, Gammoth, and Glavenus in this tier. You're hiding Astalos, aren't you?

My Loc Lac transporting set is most likely not at all up to dealing with Astalos.

I hate egg quests. I'll come back to this.

SilverGryphon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 28, 2016

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

On an unrelated note, you guys weren't joking about hammer/hunting horn turning nibelsnarf into a joke. :stare:

I went aerial HH to kill him a few times for fast charge decorations and felt bad for the poor, uh, whatever the gently caress he's supposed to be. Now my problem's that aerial HH is so much fun I don't want to tear myself away from it to go back to GS now that my focus/sheathing set is complete.

Aerial + Astalos Hammer = one dead sand salamander.

I felt a lot better about Nibelsnarf after taking a hammer along on his hunt.

If Aerial HH is so much fun, then don't stress yourself about going back to GS. Just bounce around smacking things in the face with your rad bagpipes or guitar or saxophone or whatever :D

I really hope they keep Styles in the next game. I don't think I could go back to not having the option of jumping onto monsters with a giant hammer, or being able to fly out of danger with a glaive.

Also, I checked out all the Death Stench equipment. Holy crap, I want literally ALL of it. I want to be a walking personification of Death come to bring doom and lay waste upon all monsterkind.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

*dodges Glavenus tail slam by scooting like an inch to the left*
*feels awesome*
*gets comboed by Glavenus and carts two minutes later*

Such is the monster hunting life.

Any tips for getting Glavenus's tail? I need his glaive.

I need it.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Hypha posted:

To get difficult tails, you need trips, mounts or traps.

Shock traps can cause a monster's tail to conviently kink, making it easy to hit. Try to trap them when exhausted for a longer duration. Pitfalls do nothing for you though.

Mounts are something you can definitely spam with IG, other aerial styles will also work. Mounts don't give you enough time as they used to but they still are good.

For Glavenus, you can be hitting the bottom 3rd of his tail and still have it count.

Otherwise focus on the legs a bunch to get the monster to fall over. Things like flash bombs or sonic can also work depending.

That should get off any tail eventually with anything that can cut.

By bottom third, do you mean the third near his butt or the third near the tip?

I'll see if I can focus on getting in to his legs more often without getting crushed. I main Aerial IG so I can usually be assured of either getting or setting someone else up for 2-3 mounts per hunt. He just doesn't seem to like heating his tail up in the later part of the fight when that damage accumulates.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Good to see that Khezu is still as much of a dick as ever. :shepicide:

Literally.

One of these days I will learn that when he starts charging up, I need to vault away.

Probably the same day I learn the same about Volvidon's stink bomb...

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

When did Brachydios become a freaking ninja?

Seriously, I'm doing the 'slay remobra and uruktor' quest, happily smacking around lava lizards, when something blue flashes across the upper corner of the screen. Turn around, and there's Brachy right behind me.

Also, why does all of Mizutsune's stuff need its claws, ugh.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Does anyone know what unlocks tier 2 of the Swarm hunter art for IG? Can't find anything about it on Kiranico.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

As far as nerdy lore documents go, I can probably get that started when I get back from this trip in a couple of days, if there's sufficient interest. We'd probably want to first work out what kind of format it should follow and how things should be presented, but that can be addressed in the actual document itself.

I for one would be thrilled to read something like this :D

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Hell's bells desire sensor. A half hour to get four freaking carapaceon brains to drop? Sheesh.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Aren't those a common carve from hermitaurs? Like, the small ones?

They are. Usually. Except, it seems, on this one Village 4* Prowler quest in the Volcano to deliver four of them. I literally spent a half hour running back and forth across the map dodging the stupid Iodrome trying to get these dumb crabs to drop their dumb brains.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

For the love of wool.

Shogun Ceanataur.

Let. Me. Stand. Up.

Stupid pointy hermit crab likes to blast up at me when he burrows, knock me off my feet, then later rinse repeat two or three times before I can get off the ground again.

Maybe I should switch back to Aerial IG for him but I like using Aerial Hammer against the crabs...

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, Rajang (i.e. "Goku") and its variant make electric weapons. The specifics vary (unlike some monsters the Rajang weapons of both types in this game seem rather inconsistent in qualities from weapon to weapon, though the Furious Rajang ones seem to be slightly lower raw but better sharpness whenever a weapon has both), but none of them are paralysis weapons, unless you count the LBG being able to shoot Para Shots.

Edit: Topic of electric weapons, torn between Astalos and Kirin for an electric glaive. I know what I want for every other type, but I'm not sure which to go for there. Though I think I'm leaning towards the former.

Eh. Kiran glaive tops out at 170 raw, 42 Thunder, +23 defense, and a sliver of white over a decent chunk of blue. Astalos glaive tops out at 180 raw, 26 Thunder, and a 20% affinity boost with a pretty long chunk of white over a slightly shorter chunk of blue, though, so unless you reeaaaally want to push the elemental damage and boost your defense I would say your better option is the Astalos glaive. You can also fight Astalos much earlier than Kiran.

I'm making like all of the glaives myself so I will likely wind up with both in my arsenal, but my Astalos glaive is already seeing a lot of use.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

*looks at Gore Magala* Buddy, all I want are three more of your feelers. I appreciate you giving me two plates, but I have two more glaives that want your stupid horns. The deal is, I break your horns, you drop your feelers. Stop rescinding on your end of the arrangement.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Mortimer posted:

have you considered not using glaives if you want feelers

Yes?

But I was doing it online, which meant I was knocking Gore on his scaly butt two or three times a hunt as a personal favor to my new best friend, the dude with the hammer. Hammer guy was breaking the horns consistently. Gore just wasn't dropping feelers. *shrugs* Sorry, should have been clearer.

I am bad with hammer myself, okay. I can handle Niblesnarf and the Hermitaurs okay. I am nowhere near ready to take a hammer to freaking Gore Magala.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

So I have to do an egg fetch quest as a cat. What kind of cat setup would be good for this tedious pain?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

You could also send out your Hunters for Hire on Narga quests. I get tons of Cutwings and other break bits from those. And send your Meownster Hunters after Narga too, sometimes they'll bring back stuff.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

I'm running out of names for my cats :/ I'm doing a gimmick where they're all named after Marvel Asgardians (except Loki, who is obviously not Asgardian).

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Anybody who kicks for things like "full armor sets" or "you're a prowler" is not someone I would want to hunt with. I love more chill hunts, just kicking back and slamming a bagpipe into some poor lizard's face. The people kicking over this sorta stuff are the ones that get all bent out of shape because you didn't take a demondrug and thus slowed their farm.

Too many pubbies taking things waaaaay too seriously.

This. Monster Hunting is about beating up monsters with weapons and armor made of their deceased brethren. People need to chill and get back to enjoying the utter, nonsensical badassery that is this series rather than getting their Moofah-wool knickers in a twist about who is Playing The Right Way.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

It never fails to amuse me how a large monster can be RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU and not see you.

Was doing the Guild 4* 'hunt 15 Ludroth as a prowler' quest in the Misty Peaks and I'd just killed one when a Royal Ludroth spawned in the river and jumped out. I was literally right under this thing's chin while scrambling to get my carve and it didn't notice me at all. Turned in the other direction and just started wandering around while I ran like hell.

Of course, sometimes it's also fun for it to see you. Wycademy point cat quest in Volcanic Hollow, I'm mining in that area with the webs when Iodrome comes in. I see it coming for me on the map as I keep mining, coming closer and closer while I'm practically yelling 'MINE FASTER KITTY CAT!'

I finish mining right under its nose and fling myself off the drop-off into the next area before it can chomp my tail, giggling like a loon the entire time.

Good times.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Dat ending.

:allears:

That was a thing of beauty and I am so glad you have the option to replay it.

Also, I'm looking at the next tier of village quests and am I seeing that right? The subquest for the Kiran mission is... to bring a flag to the top of a mountain? What?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

oh poo poo it's Yian Kut-Ku day

happy Kut-Ku day guys

That is so cute! :3:

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

Monster Hunter Explore finally has something I've always wanted: an Egyptian-themed monster. It looks loving sick to boot, with great designs for the armor and weapons. I think the closest we've had are G-rank Ceadeus armors so far, or the felyne Gypceros armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDp860m6TGk

If only that'd come over here, I'd finally have an insect glaive that matches Elscarad.

Oh man.

I wanna fight that thing so badly and wear it as armor.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

I love my cats sometimes.

Doing the double Shogun Ceanataur hunt in Village 6. Had the first one limp off to the cave, I followed, remembered that caves in the Marsh are cold, and fled back outside to pop a Hot Drink. The Ceanataur is right on my tail taking bits out of my hide and comboing me as I try to superman dive out of the area. I finally manage to escape, and as soon as the loading screen pops up I get the 'One Monster Left!" message. My cats took down a giant crab to save my life. :3:

Good kitties. Gourmet sushifish for you tonight!

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Aerial Insect Glaive :D Decent reach, most mobile in terms of jumping in, smacking things, then vaulting out before the monster can turn around and smack you around. I regularly land three or four mounts on most monsters- vaulting lets you just fly by and do damage while getting out of range of claws and tails and things. It also gets you up high enough to hit Cephadrome's head and tail unless it's an unusually large one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

I hope Gigginox is in MHXX

Please gods no, Gigginox was half of why I quit playing 3U.

• Locked thread