Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm happy this LP exists.

I "started" with 3U myself. I say "started" because I didn't get very far. I sucked. I forget how far I got but I don't remember the Barroth, so I must not have fought him. I remember the red balloon bird, though. gently caress him.

I really got sucked into the series with 4U, where I found my best friend the Insect Glaive. Rodeo monsters all day long! I played a ton of 4U with a small group of friends, who taught me the finer points of smashing monsters, the most important one being Always Prance. Always.

I am loving Generations! More rodeoing opportunities can only be good, as far as I'm concerned. However... I main the Prowler, so I may be a crazy person whose opinions are not to be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I was just thinking that Gigginox looks like a proto-Khezu, and hey, you mentioned that!

I checked my copy of this game awhile ago to see where I left off, and boy... I have like no items and almost no money. What was I even doing?

I think I'll stick to Generations. I would miss my Bugstick. And my cats. Plus underwater combat SUCKS.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Nice job loving up that goat... camel... thing. When I fought one of those, I was a cat, because why not be the cat?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I like Nibelsnarf a lot. In my brief stint in 3U, I made a few of my friends help me get a full set of his armor. I quit soon after that so I never realized the armor is... not that good.

I just liked the monster and wanted to wear his armor.

Still, holy poo poo there is so much stuff about Nibelsnarf I didn't realize, even after fighting him a fair amount in Generations! It never occurred to me to use Barrel Bombs against him, even though he his basically just like a Dodongo! Why didn't I ever think of that?! I also didn't know you could fish him out of the sand! Holy poo poo, that is mind-blowing! :aaa: Can you still do that in Generations?!

Oh, one quick note, while Nibelsnarf may be a harder fight in Generations, if you rodeo him, you can break his uvula super easily, so that's something.

In general, I tend to forget Barrel Bombs exist. Or Sonic Bombs. Or any kind of bomb really. I never know what kind of extra item I should bring and what monsters I can use them on. Any advice for being better about that? It seems like items like that could make hunts easier. Also can anyone who knows the proper way to use Sonic Bombs on Nibelsnarf chime in on how to do it?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Pokemon you're thinking of is Groudon, cover legendary for Ruby version.

He's also waaaaaay bigger than Volvidon.

Oh yeah, and Volvidon is indeed in Generations. I've killed him with the cat. Like I've killed most things!

Lately though I've been having fun with Dual Blades, specifically Aerial Style Dual Blades. It is fuuuuuuuuun. :D I used Dual Blades in my short stint in 3U. Looking forward to when (if?) you show them off, so I can see what I was doing wrong!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

Prowler with specific moves and abilities abilities is allegedly the strongest "weapon" in the game.

Also, Aerial style is fun with most weapons, but if you're using Dual Blades, you might want to try Adept style at some point. It's stupidly strong.

The ones I use for "for serious" times have Piercing/Big Boomerangs, Boomerang Pro, Earplugs, and either Critical Up S or odd status resistance skills depending on what I'm fighting. You're also supposed to use Last Stand, but I wasn't too thrilled with the tradeoff from being effectively immortal, since resting in the Camp bed refills your Acorns.

I hope that's the build you're talking about, because I spent an awful lot of time farming for cats to get those...

Also I hear Adept style is real good, but I'm hesitant to try it. My sense of timing is absolute garbage. Just ask all the Stone medals I get in Bayonetta...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You're supposed to use either a fighting or assisting palico (assisting type increases boomerang damage), and I think the assisting type also has Emergency Evasion which is really useful too because it's a fully invincible escape. As for Last Stand, yeah, I agree with you on not using that. I'd rather have the acorns. There's apparently a unique ability that one of the not yet released DLC ones has called "World's Strongest" which apparently buffs your attack and defense if you're not wearing armour, but I've yet to see if that's true.

I have both! And is that what that secret DLC skill does?! That is super lame, if so. Half the fun of the cats is dressing them up in ridiculous outfits! If I can't Fashion Hunt, I don't even wanna hear about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

That was indeed some drat fine work on that Rathian!

I think his armor looks neat, for what that's worth.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

In fact, one of the first monsters shown in that tracks is next update's monster.

I'm still gonna buy it, though.

It has Styles for cats. Aerial and Adept cats. RODEOING CATS! I am so on board, you don't even know!

Also I am so happy that we'll (hopefully?) be able to import save data. I JUST got done fully upgrading a Hellblade armor set and two weapons. No way in hell do I want to start over from scratch after that.

You mentioned that Barioth is a variation of the Flagship Monster from Portable 3rd. Unless I'm looking at the wrong monster, I'm not seeing the resemblance? He does resemble another monster I know, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I'm an idiot and was thinking about Freedom Unite. I don't know why I said Portable 3rd.

Ah, yes. That is the monster I was thinking of. I just made his armor, too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I fought Agnaktor a bunch in Generations. I needed a poo poo-load of his scales for some reason. It always took me (I thought) way too long to kill him and I felt I was doing something wrong.

No, no, looks like I wasn't. It's just his gimmick. I have never managed to cut off his tail, though. Didn't even know you could!

Also, regarding sharpness related skills, I always get Handicraft and Sharpness mixed up. Handicraft is granted from Sharpness skill points, but there's also an actual Sharpness skill and that one comes from Razor sharp points. Then there's Grinder, which is another thing entirely. I can never keep it straight.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 16, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Thread, do you think Uragaan looks like Jay Leno or Chiquita Dave? Cast your votes now.

Jay Leno, for sure. There's a question about this?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

JamieTheD posted:

I sometimes really dislike the "Sub-Optimal" crowd. Can't wait for somebody to do MHGen so folks see that "sub-optimal" can also mean enjoyable (Shoutout to everybody who just uses Aerial Style to kickflip off their friends.) Or heck, even "challenging yourself" (I'mma try and take down this monster I have to hunt for parts... But this time, I'll use... THING to up my skills!)

Basically, sod optimal play in so many ways.

As a gal who runs Aerial Dual Blades just because it's fun as poo poo, heck yeah. Also cat, of course.

And if Fashion Hunting is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I have a tradition when I introduce new people to Monster Hunter and that is to do my absolute best to hide the existence of Deviljho from them until they get properly introduced.

My friends did that to me! In fact, one of them deliberately ate for the food skill that... either makes the environment unstable or guarantees the 'Jo will show up in an unstable. I was not pleased. :mad:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cats can totally do Styles in XX! It's one reason why I really, really, really hope it gets released in not-Japan. Cats can for sure get Adept and Aerial. I want to be a rodeo cat so freakin' bad.

Also cats can use Dung Bombs if they have the skill for it. It's a skill that I consider to be essential on cats. Free to use, too!

I kind of wish Queropeco is in 4U or Gen. I would love to get my revenge on that bastard now that I don't suck at the game, but that would require going back to 3U and I don't wanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I made Pink Rathian armor back in 4U. I like pink. :colbert:

• Locked thread