Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

oatgan posted:

wwe cut off Johnny Knockouts promo in their youtube upload of the match so this will have to suffice for now

https://youtu.be/UETvQXaSx74

Not surprising given Byron's reaction was definitely a look of "You were not supposed to say that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WadeBartender posted:

I didnt watch raw but are the dudleys actually retired? cause it looks like wwe posted a clip of them leaving after that gallows and anderson attack and they're waving goodbye so?

The retirement promo came across as pretty sincere and it seemed sort of like Gallows and Anderson's attack was a "put over some other guys on your way out" stuff.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

DeepDickPizza posted:

If that was actually the Dudleys retiring, that was a real weird and lame segment to do it. If it wasn't them actually retiring, then it was just a run-of-the-mill weird and lame segment.

Thinking it's the former.
https://twitter.com/BubbaRayDudley/status/767927812426784768

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

DeepDickPizza posted:

Like, if that was the Dudleys retiring, couldn't they have at least booked some sort of respectable feud to go out on where they look like something other than the biggest afterthought ever? Maybe give them something a step above a segment featuring the Shining Stars? They have to do a match with the Club at the very least, right?

There's a WWE.com exclusive video of their "last walk" up the Raw ramp afterwards. I think that's it, man.

And yeah it's a bit weird but they may very well have suggested the attack spot. Go out on your backs and all that.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

bayley will murder johnny knockout after she's done with rollins and reigns

I for one welcome our new hugger overlords.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I'm hype as gently caress for Breezango to be crowned the inaugural SD Tag Team Champs at whatever the gently caress that PPV is in 3 weeks.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think saying one or two mildly anti gay things in the early 2000s where that poo poo was basically encouraged is nullified by being one of the best wrestlers the world has seen in five years

Not really nullified at all. However, he's fun to watch and has an entertaining character, so whatever, I expect a base level of shittiness from wrestlers.

See also:

Chris James 2 posted:

Update: Regal and Finlay think ZSJ works too gay

Wonderful week for their progress toward our community. Really feeling the love

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

GenericMartini posted:

People have different political ideologies, it doesn't exactly totally mean they're awful people it just depends why they vote for them. Dolph on one hand is a indeed a lovely person whose voting for trump and had "Nobody rides for free" on his tights.

Dolph Ziggler sucking crosses all demographics and boundaries. Truly, he unites us.

e:

GenericMartini posted:

Darren Young is good yes and I like him a lot and he gives me hope for the future of wrestling.

I really enjoy his current gimmick and wish they were showcasing it better. "Darren Young gets corrupted by the crossface chickenwing" is the kind of slightly gonzo wrestling angle I love.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Blaise330 posted:

My JRPG endeavors ended in about 2003, redo this with Final Fantasy.

Left side is FFVI, right side is FFVII.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it the memetic arguments there are startlingly similar.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Well here I was thinking that they were going to make the PPVs look unique by using that new set for just PPVs. Nope... LED ring posts for all the shows now apparently

I'm torn on whether that's the best thing or the worst thing.

It's probably the blurst thing.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

:ssh: It's an angle.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

so is the storyline implication here that WWE pays their wrestlers so little that $500 is a huge deal

No it's that it's so minor Steph isn't even giving Brock a slap on the wrist. They were talking it up as ludicrously small on the preshow.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Blaise330 posted:

Phew, got through 4 straight days of watching wrestling. Don't think I can do this again until Wrestlemania.

What, no NXT and CWC? Just dehumanize yourself and face to wrestling.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

oatgan posted:

literally the only reason raw has ever been better than smackdown is because they did the sasha title switch in the main event of their first show

Not even wrong. We were fools to ever doubt SmackDown Live.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

RaceyBucket posted:

i want Heath and Rhyno to win the tag titles.

:yeah:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

If you're not watching Talking Smack you just missed the best heel promo in, like, years.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Blaise330 posted:

Over half of the best promos of 2016 have been network-only. No script is great.

Counterpoint: Kalisto's lucha thing promo was network-only.

How's that a counterpoint? It's just more evidence.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I'm a little frustrated they didn't include the bit where he starts demanding they keep the cameras focused on him and starts yelling about how he'll take any challengers.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Man even on like the third go around this still gives me chills. It's so loving good.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Sigma posted:

Maybe they didn't fill her in about the full beats of the worked shoot and the walk off. It seemed like the producers ended the show early, too.

Nah, it always cuts out at 20 afterish, gotta run those ads.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

oatgan posted:

he just made up two drat belts

Yeah, but in kayfabe the IC belt is prestigious and not just "designated decent midcarder" so you want that legacy or whatever.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Humphrey Vasel posted:

But was it a shoot

Well you see what happened was the Usos started shooting on how bad Roman Reigns was, so Vince called an audible and told Miz to go out there and disrupt the show by bitching about the IC title the way he has every week on TS. But then D Bry decided to go into business for himself and started attacking Miz's ringwork, so Miz retaliated, pinned Bryan's shoot to the mat, and won the Promo Title.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

I can't find it the now, but the gist was "Fans are being disrespectful by booing a belt instead of appreciating the show we put on" "it's only a vocal minority who are ruining the shows" and "remember the hardcore title was originally a joke and supposed to look funny but I made it into something highly respected and sought after."

He did have a pretty valid follow-up point when he mentioned that Finn thought the chants were "Bálor sucks" and was really concerned that he'd done something wrong. That's a bullshit thing to have happen to you on your big night.

Admittedly probably not as bad as loving up your shoulder on a barricade spot gone wrong...

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

VJeff posted:

So, should I like, be going back and watching every episode of Smalking Tack now, 'cause, wow.

There's only a couple, they're full of great little anecdotes and off-the-cuff remarks, and this specific promo has actually been building up for a bit with the almost weekly tension between Bryan and the Miz. You could do worse, but tonight was definitely the best one so far.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Astro7x posted:

Why couldn't they have just put the Women on Smackdown and the Tag Division on Raw? With NXT, that's 11 titles now. There will probably be a cruiserweight title, so that's 12.Seems like way too many. I'll save you from my fantasy booking though

I think it's mostly a natural end result of their new Pay Per View approach, which seems to be rooted in the (not incorrect) philosophy that more premium shows = more folks who just repeat their Network subscription month to month rather than trying to game the system. So if you've got a bunch of brand-exclusive cards to fill it's made easier by having a "normal" slate of belts to defend.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Have Miz tease doing crazy moves but never do them. I know it's kind of KO's thing already, but he still does cool stuff. Have the Miz set up a piledriver but then gently set his opponent down and punch them instead. Have him go to the top rope like he's doing a moonsault, but instead he carefully climbs down and delivers an elbow drop. What's this? Miz is posing at the top of the cage...and now he's just climbing down and winning the match instead of stupidly jumping back in!

That'd also work with his character. "Yeah I could do all of those moves, because I'm awesome, but I've got to protect these goods - I have movies to film!"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

My impossible dream came true! :swoon:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

Gotta fill (calculates) 9.76 hours somehow.

That sounds short, they must still be in the planning phases.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

keevo posted:

The Rock is cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgd-_kDM9N/

We'd never turn on The Rock, right?

Remember when The Rock ate up nearly an hour of WrestleMania faffing about with a flamethrower, cutting a promo about a fake attendance figure, and then burying the Wyatts at a time when their prospects seemed absolutely dire? After the show was already clearly way, way too long, and the only thing left was going to be Roman Reigns' obligatory crowning?

I was about ready to permanently turn on The Rock then, not gonna lie.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

According to this week's Observer the main event for Clash of Champions was going to be Balor vs Owens leading to a Balor/Owens/Jericho triple threat.

:rip: all of that

Never before have I actually felt legitimately depressed by cancelled booking plans. Holy gently caress.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Right, time for somebody to pick a HunterFlex.jpg.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

VJeff posted:

Yeah. I don't have a hard time believing Brock is a roid monkey who would blow open Randy's face on a botch and ruin the match on accident, though.

It's definitely a finish where, on paper, it sounds like an interesting idea, like we all watch that happen and think to ourselves "oh man, that Lesnar's out of control, he's punching the poo poo out of Orton! Even Heyman is flabbergasted!" but in practice it came across like a blade job had gone wrong and they had to stop the main event match of the second biggest show of the year on a botch.

Which isn't even that far from the truth given he hosed the elbow shots up. To say nothing of the fact that this strange finish went on immediately after Reigns and Rusev didn't even have a match. Christ, this company.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Sin Cara would be severely held back by a Brawl for All's prohibition on soda can projectiles.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Chris Jericho only has 2% of the vote? Buncha stupid idiots voting in that poll.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

His racist salt will live on. :smith:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

My completely not medically trained mind wonders if maybe it being that bad means there was already an issue and the dislocation at SummerSlam was just the final straw, or if that all stems from the one bump like some kind of terrifying shoulder injury cascade.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Ostentatious posted:

I mean on the other hand raw sucks so who cares at the end of the day

It's really quite comforting to know that when they put the belt on Roman again tonight I can just chill out and wait for the good WWE show.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's hard to be concerned that Seth's move is too dorky when SUPERMAN PUNCH!!! SUPERMAN PUNCH!! ANOTHER SUPERMAN PUNCH!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the implied sentiment that Seth needs to cock his leg like a gun before going for the Avada Kedavra.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Ostentatious posted:

we're still perpetuating this "seth is unsafe!" :kingsley: stuff, huh?

we're just rolling with this, this is the new thing

He just needs to wear the belt for a while again so that the "Rollins is actually good" pushback in response to the "Rollins was never good" pushback in response to his reign can cycle back into position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

I thought we were being ironic about Seth being a menace but I can't even tell anymore

Worked ourselves into a shoot, brother.

• Locked thread