Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tesseraction posted:

I agree that American Idiot was the harbinger of punk dying for most of a decade.

Pop punk maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Spangly A posted:

Sarkozy went insane after Bataclan. A lot of french people did. He has not recovered.

I'm not joking I think the man is mentally ill and should be immediately removed from position.

Hollande? Sarkozy has no formal position

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Wetsuits? Burkinis? The fools are ignoring the true danger of insidious foreign influences lapping at our shores this very moment! Do you know where those waves have been? Not to mention they're full of immigrants eager to get their fishy teeth and sinister pincers on the flesh of decent British citizens. I say ban the oceans and protect us all from the Crypto-Neptunic Fascism they hide beneath their waves!

The Kraken Wakes was a dire warning of things to come

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

What good cause does the money go to? Sainsburys.

Well Sainsbury's aren't actually part of this scheme - they replaced their bags with more expensive bags for life, which means (among other things) they don't have to publicly disclose the amount they give to charity (which shops are requested to do, but not obligated - Asda, Waitrose, Morrisons all donate all the 5p, Tesco 3p, and according to the Grauniad Sainsbury's... 1p)

radmonger posted:

I unironically think it would be a good idea if there was a name for the political group that considers Labour either ireedamably compromised, or at least in need of destroying and recreating, but also wants nothing to do with Marx, Lenin, Trotsky and co.

Because every time I hear a member of that group speak, they give up half way through listing and discussing the things they are against before they get to saying anything about what they do actually stand for.

There are plenty of reasonable, positive looking, communists (well, "plenty") but they get rather drowned out by the noisy idiots

blowfish posted:

yeah but emboldened fascists != created more fascists, you merely notice them more because their shittiness is on full display now

It can do both

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There was 20p on the floor of the gym yesterday and I forgot to pick it up :negative:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So, in the last year and a half the ceiling in our shared house's front room has collapsed twice due to flooding from the shower above as well as having the electrics blow and need to be re-wired twice. In the last week I'd heard scratching for the last week but assumed it was mice, and last night it sounded like something was rearranging the crap up my sink (mostly plastic bags, bin liners, kitchen roll and the like) so you can imagine my surprise when I got in from work to see a loving rat leaping off the lip of my bin to scurry away. Basically, at which point can I tell the lettings agency to go gently caress themselves with regards to rent and fix this poo poo?

A piece of advice that seems to come up every other month:

NEVER EVER EVER WITHHOLD RENT, you will get hosed five ways from Sunday

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I saw this on a news headline yesterday (you posted the original "we're doing this" statement a few weeks ago though right?) and the BONG trailer was pretty much just Jeremy Hunt's statement saying this is bad and wrong and they're hurting the NHS. Then for the actual story they repeated it again

Obviously it's Jeremy Corbyn's fault that the news is confident enough to present the story from Jeremy Hunt's point of view. If Labour were a more effective opposition this wouldn't be happening

My housemate was listening to LBC earlier and they had Jeremy Hunt on followed by a doctor. The doctor's opening statement was basically "I don't know why you give this man the time of day, he's been shown to have lied over and over again" and the host then refused to then talk about anything other than demanding that the doctor prove that the BMA had had no contact with the DoH which confused the doctor no end

I'm increasingly of the opinion that "being good with the press" is mostly about being able to shut down stupid questions asked by idiots. This thread is good practice for anyone who wants to go into politics

Jose posted:

if you're not in shorts and t shirt at 12c you're doing it wrong

Not everyone is from the north east Jose

[edit]

8°: an acceptable temperature to go out in shorts and a tshirt

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

StoneOfShame posted:

Zidane has smoke all his life and is probably fitter than any of us, I wish I had his genes and desire to exercise as I fit your description.

Footballers aren't actually that fit in the grand scheme of things at the peak of their careers, a retired footballer who smokes and was never regarded as being particularly athletic? Yeah not so much

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah but people dont get Harry Potter they think Snape was a hero even though until the girl he creeped on was getting killed he was fully in with Voldemort and probably supported the killing of muggle borns.

People think Harry Potter was the hero (someone who gets lots of wealth and power simply because of who his parents were, and has authority turn a blind eye when they break the rules?)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's like a they're under a curse. Everyone that dislikes Corbyn is unable to articulate why they don't like him and why he is not fit for the job. So instead they just say "he bad". Some of them can manage an illogical sentence about how "that's all very good but it's not going to help them WIN".

Blame the CIA, Fukuyama and Blair. Post-ideologism Third Wayist nonsense means that they don't actually have the capability

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

To be fair he had the bullying that most Etonians deserve, crammed into the first ten years of his life, from the people who for all intents and purposes were his parents.

That's a fairly common "Those peasants can't see the greatness that walks among them" kind of deal. The wizarding world can be read very easily as a metaphor for the upper classes, with the mudblood stuff less racism and more Old vs New money.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

yeah, I know that I'm just trying to figure out ways to actually get them to actually do the poo poo that's required in a timely fashion. Some screening of the dribbling idiots they let stay here would be nice too, but I think they're solitary concern is "can they pay rent", rather than "are the actually functionally able to live with other people"

As with all housing questions ever, talk to Shelter. Be prepared for disappointment, mind - we're currently on a "landlords get to be real fuckers" upswing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I will fight you for making me agree with Coohoolin but Irn Bru is, after whisky & tablet, the only good thing to come from Scotland.

Peter Capaldi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Saurus posted:

Something I agree with Ober about.

If you're ever smoking tobacco or vaping, you should be putting that lung space to smoking weed instead.

This is why jobs where you aren't allowed to toke and be high suck and lead to lifelong stress.

You what

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Specifically UK manga. Tell me the good UK mangas and amines.

2000AD

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jose posted:

can anyone recommend a not poo poo action/sci fi film on netflix/amazon to watch tia

If you haven't seen MI4 or MI5 (especially so given your Tom Cruise comment) do so, they're mostly run of the mill Bond style things but the stunts are so much better - especially because Cruise does them.

There's a bit in MI5 (Rogue Nation) where Cruise's character has to hold his breath for a few minutes to hack an underwater computer. Cruise's solution? Get a diving instructor to teach him to hold his breath for that long, then do it all in one take actually underwater.

And then in the finished film they keep on cutting away to other characters so you can't tell it wasn't done in multiple takes anyway. What the hell, Tom Cruise

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was real loving good if that's up there

It really is

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 3, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Tom Cruise is poo poo for the same reason De Caprio and Clooney are. They're ridiculously typecast. It's not really their fault, but the industry's.

Well less so in Tropic Thunder

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jose posted:

cats are bad and devastate local wild life. i'm alos allergic to the fuckers and they know it and won't leave me alone when i'm at a house with one

I'm told, eg, that cats jump on people who don't like cats because they're usually sitting very still and therefore look much nicer to sit on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure he was campaigning for leader in April.

He was, but not publicly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

It's just an endgame of the politics of spin - if everything the government says is purely bollocks then the one time the boy cries about an actual wolf, nobody believes them.

In addition, if voting leave would destroy the country why is the government presenting it as an option?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

baka kaba posted:

When he's interviewing someone he always seems really impatient, like he's visibly enduring the other person's response and just waiting until he can talk again. Even with Clive Owen who's apparently his friend, he constantly had this "yes yes but" look on his face

Maybe it's just how he is but it's a bit awkward to watch

That's just the standard geeky thing of "Ooh I know something about this let me say it"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You used to be a dashing Portuguese now you look like you're made out of cheese

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

loving hell the saurus is on a roll today

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Someone should install a chip in Ken's brain so that every time he says Hitler or Nazi he gets an electric shock.

Maybe they have and he likes it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zephro posted:

edit 2: 35 is the sum of the first five triangular numbers, which (apparently) makes it a tetrahedral number

Cos if you stack them on top of each other they make a tetrahedron like stacking dots makes a triangle

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Or useful

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Saurus posted:

How did the 1975 EEC referendum win with such a stonking majority when the electorate was made up of even older olds than in 2016?

Shockingly two referendums on different things have different results in vastly different contexts

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ACAB

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/06/teaching-assistants-durham-pay-slashed-women-lions-of-durham-grunwick?CMP=share_btn_fb

A nice bit of classic handwringing here. "Oh god how can the council cut salaries to teachers assistants?"

Maybe it has something to do with the thirty percent cut in funding that the council received in the last government and is set to receive again in this one?

But wait the council is really corrupt because (of the sourced claims):

1. David Cameron lied through his teeth (pushed into it by the Durham Lib Dems no doubt, who made the same claims on a local level) about the low to middling special allowances for the chair and vice chair (having looked up allowances for councils around the country in all examples that I looked at but one - North Yorkshire - there were people who were getting more than the two councillors combined, in some cases over a dozen of them). Oh and the amount of money is also less than David Cameron claims per year as parliamentary expenses for just his second home, despite being incredibly wealthy.

Hell, even if the twelve grand were out of the ordinary the Tories and Lib Dems cut over ten thousand times that amount per year from the council budget over the last government.

2. The author doesn't understand (or rather chooses to deliberately misrepresent) the point of the council drawing up plans for new employment that are criticised as being overly optimistic but are lower than the government's own stated goals for the area.

That the links in the article supposedly that back up these two claims explain both these points, but nobody ever reads sources for Council Bad so why bother with intellectual honesty?

I absolutely support a living wage, obviously, but the council has been hosed six ways from Sunday and any cuts they make will have a serious repercussion on quality of life one way or another.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TomViolence posted:

Crazy. It'd be as mad as making a board member of United Fruit director of the CIA.

edit: oh no, wait, it was the elder brother, John Foster Dulles, who was on the board of United Fruit. He was secretary of state, so y'know, no conflicts of interest after all.

For those of you who haven't read Killing Hope or similar, the CIA staged a coup of Guatamala in 1954 because a centre left capitalist government was elected and they implemented a minimum wage law which reduced the profits of United Fruit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For those of you who haven't read Killing Hope or similar, the CIA staged a coup of Guatamala in 1954 because a centre left capitalist government was elected and they implemented a minimum wage law which reduced the profits of United Fruit.

Oh and of course the guy the USA put in charge did stuff like banning political parties and torturing political opponents, you know those horrible things that governments do if they're communist which is why they justified this poo poo in the first place

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If there's an exclusionary term based on reproductive ability (as the expressed gender) you can bet it's good old fashioned TERF or fellow travellers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I hate all those right wingers who want to expand access to abortion to all people and not just women. :psyduck:

e: 'Menstruators' is weird though, and sounds reductionist. I'd go with 'people who menstruate' or something.

What are you talking about

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The point of the terms are that they are a way of defining a woman that automatically exclude trans women (as well as lots of cis women, but you can't make an exclusionary omelette...)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

No, Planned Parenthood used 'menstruators' as an inclusive term for people who menstruate, so as not to exclude trans men, in addition to 'pregnant people' so as not to exclude trans women.

TERFs lost their poo poo about this, because TERFs.

Oh poo poo son I got completely the wrong end on this one, apologies all round

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

It's a good article but I think it misses the opportunity to reference non-fossil energy sources as a form of national security, relieving the UK's dependence on oil and coal imports.

Actually it's a bad article

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ah mate, you were being all good poster and stuff, was really digging you :(

Nuclear power is Really Good fyi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

And that makes renewables bad why?

It doesn't make renewables bad (their own limitations do that), but for the vast majority of countries (including the UK) you cannot have a workable Green Energy policy without nuclear power and anyone who claims otherwise is at best misinformed.

Furthermore, if you do commit to a large scale rollout of nuclear power there's little point in investing in solar power in this country (if nothing else, it's really poo poo in winter - the incident solar radiation in December is only about 1/7 of that in June off the top of my head) instead of just building more nuclear power. Invest in solar research most certainly, but fighting for solar power in a country that's 51°-57° north of the equator is silly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Reminder that the median lifetime CO2 emissions per kwh for hydroelectric and solar are higher than those for nuclear. Multiple times higher (twice for hydro, three to four for solar). Wind is similar but incredibly space inefficient.

(Source: IPCC 2014, summarised here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-cycle_greenhouse-gas_emissions_of_energy_sources )

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Solar thermal is good though, we could fund large solar thermal plants in southern Spain and Portugal in exchange for some of the power, through the Eur... oh.

It's ok, but if you're just looking at the headline CO2 emissions then nuclear is still better. If you look in terms of other factors like fuel security then there's good reasons to do thermal solar (ala Helios Solar One in Nevada)

Guavanaut posted:

The clubbers should have voted against it. #Brexit

You are Louise Mensch and I claim etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure "yes let's build lots of nuclear power" is going to be very popular with people, it would certainly be a good idea but I'm not sure Corbyn of all people can sell that idea.

I feel that it's more likely that Corbyn is the kind of CND person who lumps nuclear power in with nuclear weapons than your suggested alternative, that this is the one issue he's really backed off from a good position on because it was politically unviable.

• Locked thread