Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

I wish we had that guy back.

iKickDogs posted:

N:
Home: .399/.487/.618
Road: 289/.341/.382

V:
Ignore all Rockies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kyle Hendricks now leads the Cubs starting rotation in fWAR, which is impressive given how invested fWAR is in FIP.

Poque posted:

That Strop timeline is mind-boggling.

Obviously some of it is age/athleticism, but my dad (54) had the same surgery and he wasn't even able to break into a brisk walk for a month. Strop is already jogging and throwing from the mound and it hasn't even been three weeks since the surgery. :eyepop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is what we get for saying nice things about Strop's rapid recovery.

https://twitter.com/chicagopixels/status/771464755626307584

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Defensive metrics are worthless, except when they all agree that Brandon Crawford is the best defensive player in baseball. Then they are extremely scientific and accurate.

It's true, though. All baseball stats exist only to reinforce out preconceptions about players. If they don't, then those stats are bullshit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: I just saw on SNY that the Mets are expected to make an announcement about deGrom.

V: :rip:

Mets need to catapult their trainers/medical staff into the sun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Goodpancakes posted:

N: I Thought to myself that maybe I should get a Hendrick's Jersey

V: Apparently they don't sell those on the Cubs website ?

What loving rear end in a top hat buys a Chapman jersey? :catstare:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Toles is not in the lineup tonight for the Dodgers.

V: Why.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meanwhile in the majors he's 3-for-3 with two singles and a HR against lefties. :v:

I guess I get it, but he's been on fire and outperforming his minors numbers, plus he hit the game winning grand slam in their last game. Let the kid have a shot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it was pretty nasty. Thankfully Shoemaker was able to walk off the field under his own power and medical staff said he was awake and alert once he left the game, so hopefully he's okay.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

And one of those teams will likely sweep the Cubs out of the playoffs.

I'm sure I'll eat my words come October but at this point I'd much rather play the Giants than the Dodgers. The Giants have great starting pitching but their bullpen is a dumpster fire and they cannot hit in the clutch to save their goddamn lives. Meanwhile the Dodgers also have good starting pitching (somehow), but also have hot hitters and a functioning bullpen/closer to back it up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC TBS offered to let Vin announce some playoff games since it's his last season, but he turned them down.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Even without Strop and Rondon the Cubs won Bullpen of the Week last week, going 27.2 innings and allowing 5 runs on 18 hits while striking out 33, walking 10 and earning 3 saves.

Wait the Cubs have a good bullpen now, I'm confused

Hand the Cubs bullpen a six run lead and they'll blow it in two innings. Hand them a one run deficit and they'll throw five perfect innings.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

In the near 9595
I'm kinda wondering if Edwin Jackson will still be alive

Even if he's dead the Cubs will still be paying his contract.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

fyi this link has really terrible and loud autoplay content.

Summary: Fans complaining about Roberts pulling Hill are dumb because it was done in the interest of keeping Hill healthy and ready to be a #2 starter behind Kershaw for the postseason. And given the incredible amount of pitching talent in the NL postseason contenders, and the incredible amount of slugging talent in the AL postseason contenders, having Hill healthy is crucial to the Dodgers making a real push.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

If Hendricks has quality starts the rest of the way, does he have a realistic shot at the Cy?

Late to the party but here's my hot take: unless Kyle comes out and immediately throws a no-hitter in one of his few remaining starts, or the other leading candidates (Scherzer/MadBum/Lester) trip over the finish line with abbreviated clunker starts while Kyle continues to cruise, I don't see him winning the Cy. He'll absolutely finish #3, maybe even #2 in the voting, but he isn't going to win. He doesn't have the IP (not really his fault since Maddon was still in quick hook mode early in the season, but it's still there) he doesn't have the K's, and he's "outperforming his peripherals". For the last one there's a legitimate argument to be made that since FIP/xFIP don't take into account batted ball profile and are almost exclusively tied to strikeout rate that they don't really work as intended when applied to a non-power pitcher like Hendricks, but again it's still a key narrative for voters. There seems to be an underlying sense that Hendricks' success this year is primarily a result of luck + having league leading defense behind him, rather than mechanical tweaks and the pitches he's added/improved.

Maybe an actual no hitter would have changed things, but the almost-but-not-quite outing just seems to have solidified the narrative that Kyle has been really good this year and is a candidate for the Cy Young, but probably not who's going to win it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

I'm the bad fan who would be totally fine with the Dodgers doing well if the Cubs don't

This but mostly because my roommate is a Dodgers fan and we've both agreed that if either of our teams are eliminated we'll root for the other. He's pretty mad that I'd rather see the Giants in the NLDS than the Cardinals, though :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
It's gonna be funny when the Yankees become my adopted AL team as a result of their lineup including Castro and Torres.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Same. And extra delicious when you see it in a post that also pitches the team that employs Aroldis Chapman as the team you should bandwagon

e: to be clear I'm not trying to throw shade at the Cubs, just lol'ing at the cognitive dissonance

You're not wrong.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

2017 schedule is out, Starlin returns to Wrigley :unsmith:

They better play his old walk up music when he comes up to bat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. wrong thread.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm all for a Cubs/Mariners WS. If the Cubs could beat them while starting Brian Matusz then they can certainly beat them with a Lester/Hendricks/Arrieta rotation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It is nice to have deals work out (glares meaningfully at former garbage Cubs rentals)

Thanks for Hendricks :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

MLB.tv question -- will the playoffs be available through the service, or am I SOL once the regular season is over?

IIRC you need to link your MLB account with a cable subscription to watch post season games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nail Rat posted:

Well the Cubs were trying real hard to get an extension to be part of the deal but he wouldn't do it probably because he has no intention to stay in Chicago. Cubs said gently caress it anyhow.

Let him go. If the Cubs absolutely can't stand a year of Rondon back as the closer, then they can sign Melancon/Jansen for roughly the same price if not arguably less than what Chapman will command in the offseason. And then I can go back to the golden days of Lackey being the most loathsome player on the Cubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Goodpancakes posted:

Chapman made a lot of statements before making the move. Has he had recent quotes saying he'll be back to being a Yankee? Not that I care to keep him, as he is a total poo poo heel, but it's a different thing after the move. He may end up liking this organization better.

My guess is that if Chapman helps the Cubs win a ring the organization is going to bend over backwards to try and resign him. Winning said ring might also influence Chapman's desire to stay, too. Like you said though, it's very much up in the air at this point.

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah I think if they're interested in Melancon/Jansen and can get Chapman for "roughly the same price" they'll just get Chapman back.

I meant that under the assumption that Chapman really does have a burning desire to rejoin the Yankees and signing him would be more difficult than the other two big closers on the market. Yes Chapman the most dominant out of the three, but all three are arguably in the top five of current closers and I wouldn't exactly be shedding any tears if we lost Chapman but picked up one of the other two.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N:

V: :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nah, they'll blame the Cubs completely inability to hit featuring Bryant getting the golden sombrero four games in a row.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:swoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Salvor_Hardin posted:

As an aside to that, Rickets just recently bent the knee and officially announced his support for Trump to the tune of at least $1mil.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...pporting-trump/

That's Joe Ricketts, the father of Tom Ricketts who actually "owns" the Cubs and handles the day to day. But yeah the Ricketts family is full to the brim with terrible shitheels. Although it also has Laura Ricketts, co-owner of the Cubs with Tom and the first/only openly gay owner of any major-league sports franchise in the US. Also her mere presence at the ballpark apparently keeps Peter Ricketts - Republican governor of Nebraska - away because he's afraid of catching the gay, so that's nice too :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does Joe Ricketts have any hand in the Cubs though? I thought it was just Tom Ricketts, although I think he might have been a Cruz supports, so not a whole lot better.

AFAIK it's just Tom and Laura who do anything Cubs related, although the "family" as a whole owns the Cubs.

I can't find anything about Tom supporting Cruz, but apparently it's a meme that they look eerily similar:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Dodgers own and Bumgarner is a big whiny manchild.

V: :agreed:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Madbum is quite possibly the least fun person in baseball now that Papelbon has been cast away to sea

Well the Giants do need bullpen help...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

halfway through the second round, a bunch of obese relief pitchers reluctantly shuffle into the ring

I'd be down for reliever sumo between angry baseball boxing rounds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

CJ Edwards vs Jumbo Diaz

Pretty sure Diaz could just kinda trip and fall over on top of Edwards and snap him like a twig.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

FYI, this is a greater percentage of RBI per AB than Nolan Arenado.

Considering his pitching this season, maybe it's time for the Cardinals to just admit they'd rather have his bat and teach him to play OF or something :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

The Cardinals will see Arrieta/Hammel/Lester for the weekend series. Hendricks had his start bumped to Monday and after the Cardinals series Maddon plans to do 'scripted' games for the final two series with the Pirates and Reds.

So am I missing something because that appears to set the rotation up as Lester/Hendricks/Lackey/Arrieta 1/2/3/4 for the playoffs. :confused:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In that case I'll revise to say that I'm surprised Hendricks is the one getting rest and not Arrieta. He's is clearly gassed between his dropping velocity and non-existent command, and you'd think Maddon would jump at the chance to push his start back a few days.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Auditioning #4 starters for October

What's the word on Urias? I thought he'd have blown clean past his IP limit by now but he came out of the bullpen the other night so he must have something left. Are the planning to take him into the postseason? Even if it was just a"go 5 innings then hand it to the bullpen" kind of deal, I'd have to imagine Urias would be a better option than Kazmir or Wood.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

We don't know what his limit is but he's been officially moved to the BP for the remainder of the year. If he's pitching in the postseason it won't be as a starter this year.

What about De Leon? Or was he just a stopgap until the rotation could fill back up?

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I know Chicago didn't burn down last year but the Cubs were kind of a nice little surprise. I'm pretty sure win lose or draw, Chicago is burning down. At the very least I'm sure a minority is going to end up dead for no reason. Just set up a pre-emptive quarantine now.

This is why being a Chicago sports fan in the Bay Area owns, at least this year. On top of getting to dodge the inevitable Cubs riot, I get to bask in the schadenfreude of the Sharks, Warriors, and Giants all tripping right in front of the finish line. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still remember how up in arms Cubs fans were over trading Scott Feldmen and "the future" in Clevenger for these scrub pitchers Arrieta and Strop. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Retail Slave posted:

I didn't pay much attention to the Cubs during the early rebuild as I was burnt out on the losing.

Anyway, I knew he used to be good but had a bad year or two and signed a 1 year, 6 million deal.

It was at the time being treated as one of the worst trades the Cubs had ever made in the history of the franchise, at least by the fans. Cubs traded a solid pitcher and a young, team controlled catcher for two pitchers who were really struggling. Strop had a 7.25 ERA with the Orioles that season (although he posted 2.44 ERA across 66 IP the season prior so it was reasonable to gamble he could bounce back), and Arrieta a 7.23 ERA plus a history of terrible seasons which left no outwardly apparent reason to suggest he'd improve.

I honestly don't remember anybody being okay with the trade back then. Either they thought we should have gotten a better deal for Clevenger/Feldmen, or they thought we shouldn't have dealt them at all.

• Locked thread