Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Scob posted:

cards really control their own destiny for a wild card

5 vs pirates
4 vs brewers
4 vs giants
3 vs rockies
6 vs cubs
4 vs reds

only 1 day off the rest of the season, but most teams are probably in the same situation. The giants and pirates games are really important and they need to split with the cubs.

congrats on your five automatic wins, the pirates have completely mailed it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

That's what they get for demoting Jeff Locke. :colbert:

Actually, it's what we get for letting him pitch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Noah Syndergaard sucks

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah and after hooking the fans they realized they could use that good will to let a lot of the reasons why they were good go away (too be fair AJ Burnett retired)

Frankly I'm still pissed that they traded Neil Walker away because they couldn't even pay for the popular hometown kid becuase they had to be financially flexible, bullshit when you own a baseball team you should use whatever money you got to make a an entertaining winning team, not to squeeze dollars out of families and especially grandparents who come to the games to remember the days of going to Forbes and seeing Maz beat the evil empire, Roberto Clemente play at his peak, and for the name Dick Groat to be announced.

That's what is loving infuriating about this team. They care more about profit over success
Quoted from the gameday thread.

I see you've fully accepted the "cheapness" narrative to explain every move.

Neil Walker was nearing the end of his contact, he'd had a ton of injury issues over the years (and now needs back surgery), and they thought he had peaked. The Pirates felt confident with Harrison and Kang (not to mention Freese and Hanson) and dealt from a position of relative strength to address a desperate need. Re-signing him would've been a feel-good move, yes, but not a very smart baseball one.

Niese ended up sucking terribly while Neil went on a tear, so it looks worse in retrospect, but I don't remember financial flexibility being cited when he was traded. Unless you're mad about the financial flexibility of not dumping extensions on aging, poor-value, expensive players.

The trades didn't kill this team. Even with Locke and Vogelsong and Niese in the rotation to start the season, we somehow stuck around in the race this late. Liriano falling off his traditional cliff, Cole's inconsistency and injuries, Cutch's lost season, Hughes and Watson forgetting how to be effective, and Kang's rape slump did way way more to submarine us, and I don't see how those things are on the FO

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everyone who didn't put him on their most favorite list is wrong, including myself.

Yes, I agree, memes are very "le good"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This sucks.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Retail Slave posted:

Such an incredible talent gone just like that. Just a few days ago I read an article about how the Marlins were possibly contemplating trading him in the offseason and I was giddy at the thought of the Cubs possibly adding him to the rotation.

I know I had no way of knowing, but now I feel like kind of an rear end for getting excited over something so trivial.

Explosionface posted:

I read that same article, I think. I was definitely excited about the idea of having such a cool player on the Cubs. But now, :smith:
Truly, my heart goes out to Cubs Nation in their time of sorrow

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Poque posted:

yo gently caress TBD for reals

Let's go Tampa Bay Devilrays

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If the fielders had been taking the game seriously, they would've caught all those hits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sydin posted:

I don't disagree with you that he's being a shitter about it. He was mad Montero got pulled and then he proceeded to give up three runs in the 5th, but that's still ignoring that he'd given up four runs in the previous four so it's not like he was on some kind of roll. :rolleyes: Hopefully he can channel his anger into throwing a good NLDS Game 3.

drat you spring training feel! :argh:

Hopefully he channels his anger into falling down a mineshaft and not coming out until his career is long forgotten.

• Locked thread