Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

The dismissal is a pro click and completely obliterated any sympathy I may have had for the standing rock sioux. What loving idiots. The company and the army corps of engineers bent over backwards to accommodate them and they refused.

Certainly that's true for their leadership. The other members of the tribe may not have known that their leaders could have done something about the pipeline and instead twiddled their thumbs. The dismissal definitely changes the impact of this news story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

You realize they are protesting mostly because of the river it crosses right? And because most of these companies have a lovely record when it comes to pipeline integrity, and that river is the reservations primary water source?

I'd be protesting too.

Even worse, looking at that map: Why is the pipeline crossing the river. Twice, when it looks like it could have easily been routed around those cities to get to that exact location without crossing the river?

The pipeline later on will cross the Mississippi river, upstream from St. Louis, Missouri. The city of St. Louis gets a lot of its drinking water from the river.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

You're right, maybe this pipeline idea isn't as good as we're being told. Its not like we've had any explode in the past 3 months or so....

But, the point stands: Why shouldn't they protest? Its not like companies and the government don't have an established legacy of loving the Tribes even more than they gently caress everyday US citizens.

Aren't you the poster who whines about NIMBYs in the nuclear energy megathread?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Actually, what's best for the most is to put nobody at a slight risk when oil prices are already super low. If you accept a potential risk to human lives, 8000 of them at that, then there's no way that the value of 8000 statistical lives is exceeded by the boost in supply created by a minor oil pipeline.

I'm not going to make a claim about the precise effect and whether we really need the pipeline or not, but I can point out that this reasoning is pretty dumb. It takes a long time to build a pipeline, as evidenced by the Army Corps of Engineers spending an entire year trying to contact the Standing Rock Sioux leadership in vain to get their opinion on how to route the pipeline, and so you've got to be a little more forward thinking and not just make decisions based on the current oil price when planning these kinds of projects. Also, describing an oil pipeline as being a ticking nuclear time bomb which could blow up and kill the entire reservation is being more than a little hyperbolic.

The price of oil is kind of important economically. I'm sure that thousands of posts were written in D&D back when the oil prices were high, whining about how high the oil price was and how it and the associated increase in price of about everything was an unfair burden on the poor in the US.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 2, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

mitztronic posted:

I guess you are morally right, because things are hosed up and our climate is being destroyed its OK to gently caress it up even more and destroy it even more for a slight increase to profits. Thanks for showing me the light!

Hell lets just bring back the industrial revolution, at the peak they were burning how much coal, everywhere? That makes it OK right, since everyone was doing it

I'm not going to make a claim about the precise effect and whether we really need the pipeline or not, but you realize that the price of oil is kind of important economically, right? If the oil price were to greatly increase, you would probably be okay, since you are a Silicon Valley engineer, IIRC, but a lot of poor people in the US would not be in great shape and would have tremendous trouble absorbing the increase in cost of just about everything.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Goodpancakes posted:

The pipe was originally slated to cross at Bismarck but was moved over concerns about the water supply. Sioux county, the reservation, is the sixth poorest county in the nation. Having done work there its a bombed out poo poo hole.

I think though the risk of the pipeline affecting the water supply is greatly exaggerated. It's either that, or, the city of St. Louis, Missouri is being incredibly stupid for permitting the pipeline to cross the Mississippi River, one of their water sources, upstream from the city.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

At the very beginning, before it ever even gets to your precious 1% figure, we have this caveat: "About 67% of the electricity generated was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum)." So it's cool because only 1% percent of power on the grid is literally provided by burning petrofuels, so gently caress it we need to pump more oil to provide more power to the commercial sector instead of providing them with a reason to not waste so much energy. Cars don't exist. Gotcha. Way to dodge the point by sperging on a tangent.

Or perhaps you're being disingenuous about what the difference between coal and petrofuels and natural gas (methane) is, in terms of environmental cost, production cost, etc, in pursuit of your agenda?

Well, in this thread, we regard oil and natural gas pipelines to be totally different beasts. If we were to say that they are similar, it'd weaken the Standing Rock Sioux's argument since there is already a gas pipeline alongside the oil pipeline which is being built.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Haha if instead of a oil pipeline, a nuclear power plant was built near the Indian reservation, there'd be so many conflicted internet science nerd D&D posters.

The non-conflicted posters in D&D would write posts to the effect of: 'Nuclear energy is a racist technology. While the wealthy white man can afford to pay boutique prices for their electricity, poor non-white people cannot weather a price increase.'

edit:

Condiv posted:

among the nearly six million Americans living within three miles of a coal plant, 39% are people of color – a figure that is higher than the 36% proportion of people of color in the total US population. 

lol they probably should have massaged the stat harder. I'm embarrassed for the article writer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the contrary, law and morality are orthogonal. The proper role of law is to define the relationship between citizens and the state/society, not to encode morality. Most people would agree that adultery is immoral, but far fewer think it should be illegal. Not everything immoral is illegal, and not every lawful action is moral. Complaining that the law does not prohibit someone from doing something you find morally objectionable is like complaining that you've been working out and eating right, but your car still doesn't go any faster.

What? Of course a major purpose of the law is to encode morality and to influence people's ethical beliefs. I always get annoyed when progressives whine about conservative Christians 'legislating morality' when they really are complaining about conservative Christians legislating the wrong morality, in their opinion.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's kind of my point, really. I'm not denying that people have tried to use the law to push a moral agenda in the past, I'm saying that is a bad thing when people do, whether they are conservative Christians or hardcore leftists.

A major purpose of the law has always been to push a moral agenda though, to tell people how to live their lives and to influence people's perception of right and wrong. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This entire outrage has very little to do with the actual issue, the pipeline being built, which probably will have no negative effect on the Standing Rock Sioux. In fact, it could lead to lower oil prices and thus be a good thing for them. While wealthy liberals on the coasts would have no trouble weathering an oil price increase, poor people, of whom I assume are most of the members of the Standing Rock Sioux, would be in even more dire straits than they already are.

The issue is more of a symbolic one about how the US took the natives' land a while ago and haven't really fairly recompensed them for it, partially due to them thinking the natives were lesser beings. If you view this pipeline issue in that way, and if you are still reeling over that, then yeah, it is about racism.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 26, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
This issue is also where a lot of people sound off about their general antipathy toward oil companies. They bitch and they moan about oil, but unless they have totally dropped out from the modern economy, they benefit from its fruits all of the time, everyday, and are heavily reliant upon it.

I bet a lot of the same posters who are currently unhappy with the pipeline, back when the oil prices were high were whining and complaining about the high price, and how it affects the poor. Some of them may have had the foresight to call for measures to be taken to prevent price spikes from happening again. Well, here is one way to allow for future lower oil prices, and now people are unhappy with it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Silento Boborachi posted:

More accurately, it's about the pipeline leaking and denying a sovereign nation their one source of water.

It's not actually about that though. The oil company could be pulling out all of the stops and could be over-engineering the hell out of the pipeline to minimize the risk, and there'd still be protest.

People aren't really analyzing the risks or are looking at other precedent. For example, a lot of oil pipelines cross the Mississippi--they must--and the Mississippi is a drinking water source for the various cities on the river. Have the cities of St. Louis, MO and Memphis, TN dropped the ball? No, probably not, the risk of harm is probably vanishingly small.

The protestors are just angry at how the US has treated the native people in the past or they have some vague discomfort with oil, despite being heavily reliant on it and upset when it isn't cheap and plentiful. Those two things are what have drawn people to the issue.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

logger posted:

How is it then that the same pipeline that is being protested against was first considered to be placed near Bismark until public outcry led to them moving the project into Sioux land?

Funny how oil is tolerated until a pipeline is placed too close to a city full of white people. When that happens the safety of the water source magically becomes a concern to the public, but when it comes to native land it's "How dare those protesters hurt our economic security."

Well, one, the Bismarck citizens probably didn't ignore notices sent to them regarding the planning of the pipeline like the Standing Rock Sioux did.

Two, I don't think you'll get a lot of the people in this thread who are not anti-pipeline defending the Bismarck NIMBYs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

RBC posted:

thats just plain false

No, not so.

The link to the following document was shared in this thread a while ago: https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2016cv1534-39

If you read section 1D in the document it details how the Army Corps of Engineers spent almost half a year trying to contact the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's historic preservation officer in vain.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

RBC posted:

I've read the judges ruling. Saying the tribe ignored notices of pipeline planning is a clear misrepresentation of what happened in fact and their issues with the consultation process.

What is the misrepresentation? Please be explicit about what is so misleading about the document.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

RBC posted:

Your posts are misleading and misrepresenting what happened. I think that was pretty clear when i used the word "false," otherwise known as "lying" or more charitably, being "confused" by what you read.

What is so misleading about me saying that the Tribe leadership dropped the ball when it came to working with the people in charge of building the pipeline?

Again, be specific. You keep on saying that I am being misleading but are not explaining why.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

RBC posted:

Because you make no mention of their issue with the absence of consulting on land outside of the corpse's jurisdiction, the corpse setting timelines that may not be realistic for a group of 9,000 peoples with no highly paid and trained government bureaucrats to aid in responding, that they over several years, did respond to the corpse's inquiries, but those responses were simply not what the corpse wanted, and refused to engage with. Furthermore, you comparing this same small group of peoples who have been historically marginalized and abused by the government with a metro area of 120,000 people with federal, state, municipal government representation and bureaucracy is absurd.

The section 1D in the document is pretty damning though and makes it seem like the pipeline wasn't really a big deal to them or that they were just really incompetent. By the way, Waste'Win Young's job is to serve as the Standing Rock Tribe Historic Preservation Officer.

If you think that somehow the document is misleading, please by all means detail why it is so.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Giving someone over a month to make a response to a highly relevant letter or email pertaining to your job isn't particularly onerous, lol. This happened multiple times, too.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
And some people in this thread still question that most of the outrage over the pipeline issue has nothing to do with the pipeline itself and is really about how the US cheated the natives of their land 150 years ago? Incredible.

Edit: Looking at my new avatar, it's kind of sad how now any opinion in this thread which doesn't toe this thread's party line hyperbolically gets labeled as genocidal. It kind of trivializes the real genocide the native people experienced at the hands of the previous US government. I would think that posters who are passionate about this issue wouldn't talk about genocide so casually and disrespect peoples who actually have experienced genocide, but here we are.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 27, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

e: it warms my heart to know I, too, have outraged a posting superstar enough to buy me unimaginative redtext

I kind of wish I would have gotten a There Will Be Blood 'I am an oilman' avatar, after writing my post about how most people who do the low-effort vague protesting against oil at large, are pretty huge hypocrites and actually are heavily reliant upon oil and would be kicking and screaming if it weren't cheap and plentiful. Oh well.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Here's a consideration for you, though. It is possible to use something, even to consider that thing necessary, without having to condone and accept everything tangentially related to that thing.

Of course, but it's way more productive to protest certain energy policies or certain instances of corruption in oil companies than to just vaguely protest against oil or oil infrastructure in general. Protesting against oil at large is just a call for society to return to the Stone Age.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

Let's imagine some time in the next year the Lakota decided to start building a new school for the reservation. In this imaginary world, Dakota Access decides to get back at them for delaying the pipeline by paying people $200/day to squat on the land the school is to be built on and says they'll pay more squatters to squat anywhere they try to build the school for the next seven months. Would you support the squatters right to protest construction projects they don't like? Would it be any different if they were just Dakota Access employees who took some leave time? Or if instead of Dakota Access paying for it it was crowd funded?

This type of argument doesn't work because although posters here use universal-sounding language and pay lip service to universal principles to describe their ideas, they really aren't universal at all and are really just a bunch of ends-justify-the-means type of arguments to benefit their cause.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

To be clear, I'm totally fine with an ends justify the means analysis (that's just consequentialism made to sound scary), you just can't claim to be engaging with rights while doing it.

Me too, if you are being honest and forthcoming about it. But they have created this entire vocabulary and ways that they talk about their causes which are designed to obfuscate that fact.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Poland Spring posted:

In all my years I'll never understand why white people hate Native Americans so much. Y'all are arguing over the definition of the word "right" while people are getting amputations over access to clean water. Who gives a single flying gently caress if they didn't dot every i and cross every t on the "please don't poison our water" form 133-A? If this was a town of white people, would the posters in this thread arguing against #NODAPL be as vehement in their condemnation? I sincerely loving doubt it.

NIMBYs are terrible no matter who they are. Probably the backlash in this thread would be stronger if they weren't Native Americans. For example, the people who oppose development and infrastructure under the guise of environmentalism but really to protect their property values ('California Liberals') are really terrible people.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 28, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rated PG-34 posted:

This is not a NIMBY protest. It's a not in any backyard protest.

What does this mean?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rated PG-34 posted:

The protesters don't want the pipeline anywhere not just not in their backyard.

I don't think that that is true, but even if it were, the protestors should know that a lot of things that they like are heavily dependent on having oil infrastructure and the resultant cheap and plentiful oil.

Because we currently do not have a low cost technology to replace oil, shipping fresh fruits and vegetables into the ghettos of Detroit in the middle of winter would become even less practical when oil is no longer cheap and plentiful. Bus fares/passes and car operation/maintenance costs for everybody, including poor people, will increase. Poor people often have to commute a lot and spend a good amount of money on transportation because NIMBYs block real estate development/transportation development and jack up rents in convenient residential neighborhoods in the interests of protecting property values. The cost of consumer goods will increase. Wealthy people could handle it just fine, but poorer people will struggle.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mercrom posted:

you can someday be less reliant on supporting terror states for your oil.

Wow, I totally forgot about this side effect of opposing oil infrastructure in the US . . . Hopefully this comment elicits a response instead of just being ignored.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

NewForumSoftware posted:

Good point, we should probably move away from fossil fuels in general as opposed to this singular case

If it happens, it will be painful for the poor in the US. I doubt that the rich are going to totally subsidize the cost of the more expensive replacement technology . . .

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

NIMBY redneck idiots to successfully block solar farm construction (a less major but still useful contributor to fixing climate change).

Huh? Rednecks often love solar panels. They, being a way to electrically power your house off the grid, really appeal to survivalists. I went on a canoe trip in the middle of the rural Midwest, and the guy who ran the canoe rental company was just gushing about solar cells and how he was going to power his place with solar.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

Depends whether survivalism in the face of Obummer DEATH PANELS or accusing Obummer of spending ARE TAXES on Solyndra takes priority.

You can certainly be pro-solar and think that Solyndra was a dumb company and that the US government was really stupid to give them a lot of money. It wasn't that they tried something ambitious and failed, it was that in principle their technology was a bad idea and didn't make any sense. You can also be pro-solar and think that the really heavy government subsidy of solar power was bad, although you kind of have to respect that the government subsidies were largely responsible for quickly driving down the cost of solar.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 3, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CommieGIR posted:

:ironicat:

So: You are telling me that they will stop shipping by rail as soon as this 'critical infrastructure' is built, right?

Aren't you the guy in the Nuclear Energy Megathread who whines about how NIMBYs take statistics out of context to grossly magnify the safety and environmental risks of nuclear power plants? Aren't you doing basically the same thing here, but not with your favorite energy technology?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

So I wandered into this thread yesterday to simply ask how building a pipeline in empty land constituted genocide. Judging by my newfound red text, someone doesn't know what genocide means.

You would think that in a thread with a bunch of posters who are ostensibly passionate about the plight of Native Americans, people wouldn't use the term genocide lightly and hyperbolically apply it to anything they didn't like. I think it kind of cheapens the actual genocide experienced by the natives at the hands of the white settlers, but here we are.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

linoleum floors posted:

They're going to move the pipeline. The protestors won.

If you were anti-pipeline because you believe that no new oil infrastructure should be built, having the pipeline routed to go through somewhere else really isn't much of a victory at all.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The arguments against the pipeline which involve property claims from the 19th century of the Standing Rock Sioux or trumped-up claims that the pipeline is an environmental disaster waiting to happen, a ticking time bomb waiting to go off which will wipe out the reservation are pretty weak IMO. The strongest argument against the pipeline is that by opposing the construction of ALL oil infrastructure, and ensuring low supplies of oil and high oil prices, there will be more incentive to use and develop alternate technologies, and we'll wean ourselves off of oil. It will come at great cost to everybody in the US, especially the poor who can't afford it, but some think that it'll be worth it.

If that's really your point of view, I don't think that getting the pipeline moved is that great of a victory. There's not going to be as great of a turn-out for the next protest for the re-routed section of pipeline which is not somewhat vaguely sort of near an Indian reservation when you won't be able to make the protests all about identity politics.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

imo, the dapl should be built, but only if it's routed through the richest and most affluent neighborhoods

I don't think you'll get much opposition in this thread to that. Although it's not likely, with rich people's NIMBY game being way stronger than the Standing Rock Sioux's.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

DeusExMachinima posted:

So like seriously here which one is it here: is it a) beyond belief that someone could've been wounded by their own IED or is it b) a very real possibility that people damaged the pipeline regardless of the elders' wishes?

I like how Tias who earlier in the thread was obsessing over the exaggerated risk of pipeline leaking and poisoning the Standing Rock Sioux, now has totally done a 180 and is suddenly okay with the protestors blowing up holes in the pipeline so that it can leak oil all over the place.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jarmak posted:

No it's not, and "firefighters start forest fires to stop forest fires so that's just like causing oil spills to stop oil spills" is in contention for the worst dumb reductionist D&D analogy I've ever seen.

The protesters blowing up holes in the pipeline could just be an incredible big-balls bet on the pipeline company actually caring enough about oil spill risks to not run the pipeline with the new holes in it. Of course, if you explain it in that way, it kind of undermines all of your earlier statements about how the pipeline company doesn't care about spills and the welfare of the Standing Rock Sioux, so you've got to justify the sabotage in some other convoluted way.

It's just more support for the idea that the pipeline protest wasn't actually about the pipeline and the risks it posed to the Standing Rock Sioux itself--it was more about the symbolic meaning attached to it by the protesters.

Edit:

Jarmak posted:

Destruction of property not being violence is only the case if you are using the legalistic definition of the word violence, which you've consistently complained about.

Blowing up the pipeline may still technically count as non-violent resistance if you don't blow up humans along with it. I'm not sure. I think Tias may have gotten you there.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 10, 2016

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

skeet decorator posted:

This is the crucial point you actually have to make the case for: Why do you think the amount of oil leaked from sabotage would be as much or more than the amount of oil that would be leaked over the pipeline's decades long lifespan?

LOL if you thought that the protestors actually performed any analysis of the risk of the pipeline endangering the Standing Rock Sioux. If you follow their reasoning, the cities of St. Louis, MO and Memphis, TN are totally negligent in allowing pipelines to cross the Mississippi upstream and any moment now, millions in those cities will die from mass poisoning.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Edit: deleted, not allowed to talk about it

• Locked thread