Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was not into that episode. The stuff with Ian was completely out of touch, and just really not convincing. The conversations between him and Lip felt like characters spouting talking points instead of an actual conversation.

Do they, like, have any goals in mind for these characters anymore, or are they just kinda winging it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
The whole thing on sexual fluidity seemed like a way to ditch Caleb while shoehorning in something "topical."

So, Fiona is turning Patsy's from a place that had some kind of a social mission to a place with hot waitresses (no felony record, which would keep her out of the job) in order to stay afloat. Can I hold out any hope that the show is going to recognize and explore that bit of hypocrisy?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It was pretty ridiculous that Ian was fixated on the fact that Caleb was screwing a woman specifically, and not simply the fact that he was sleeping with someone other than him. So far I'm enjoying everything this season apart from Debbie being an idiot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Even stranger is that Caleb who was obsessing about this being a serious thing or not now expects Ian to be completely okay with them not being exclusive, even treating it as flat out ridiculous. Like it makes no sense on any level.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
In the great scheme of things on Shameless that don't make sense, this is little, but Dominique, who was too weirded out by an uncut dick to offer blowjobs, is going to jump right on Carl's presumably less-than-healed penis that his brothers just reacted to with total revulsion?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Three days recovery from lopping off your foreskin seems kinda short, Dominique probably got a mouthful of stitches and pus :barf:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Not my favorite episode, but Carl struggling to not get a boner was very funny, plus we got that harry balls scene.

Also, Kev being a stay at home dad is still the most :3: thing ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Never thought I'd say this when I first started this show but I wish all the Gallagher's would just die especially Debbie, except Carl who goes to live with Kev/V. Although so far this season is better just by fact of having the main characters together again instead of off having their own stupid nonsensical adventures.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

Never thought I'd say this when I first started this show but I wish all the Gallagher's would just die especially Debbie

Wow. OK then.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This show needs to stay alive long enough to do a musical episode.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Can't wait for Debbie to get caught. And Frank was being extra mean this episode god drat.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Never you mind posted:

The whole thing on sexual fluidity seemed like a way to ditch Caleb while shoehorning in something "topical."

So, Fiona is turning Patsy's from a place that had some kind of a social mission to a place with hot waitresses (no felony record, which would keep her out of the job) in order to stay afloat. Can I hold out any hope that the show is going to recognize and explore that bit of hypocrisy?

I think they'll mention the hypocrisy. The show has demonstrated that its willing to criticize even the "good" characters pretty fairly when they deserve it. And yeah, the sexual fluidity plot is almost certainly a way to get rid of Caleb. Not that I'm particularly attached to the character, but it's kind of a lame way of writing him out.

I only started watching Shameless during season five when I watched all of the series in like a week or two. I think it's still entertaining, and hasn't really shown its age as much as a lot of other shows in their seventh seasons do. I could see it lasting another few years without completely being awful.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 11, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
They are getting rid of caleb to bring back Mickey I presume.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Krowley posted:

Three days recovery from lopping off your foreskin seems kinda short, Dominique probably got a mouthful of stitches and pus :barf:

Yeah especially considering a couple days prior to that, even Lip and Ian were recoiling at the sight of it, and you know those two have seen some poo poo

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Krowley posted:

They massaged the facts to fit a single episode's worth of story. It's more like 4 weeks and you just have to abstain from sex and masturbation during that time. Erections are fine, though they feel weird and uncomfortable. Source: It happened to me.

Of course this makes the doctor seem third rate and Carl some sort of super-healing fertility god. Though, he is the son of Frank “Father of 7+ currently abusing his second liver without consequences” Gallagher.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lip and Ian picking Carl up in the ambulance was :3 for some reason

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
This shows still got it! Svetlana is a mother loving bad rear end as usual. Love the Kev, V and Svetlana story line. Loved Carl getting his now ex gf in trouble and the college getting swatted. So cool. I totally thought Lip was gonna spray everyone with the pee bag because he thought he could make it like that chick who owns half of south side. I also think Frank is going to end up doing something terrible that he can't take back and permanently fucks over one of his kids.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, I still love this show so much. That was one of the top 10 endings to an episode ever, you go Fiona. She's by far the Gallagher with the most potential to succeed, it's just that she's had to deal with seven other family members and their poo poo for most of her life. Other good moments: everything with Carl as always, racist daycare Liam, Lip/Ian talk (those two have great chemistry - actually all the Gallagher brothers have regardless of pairing) Ian's message to himself, Svetlana's dad.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 17, 2016

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Holyshoot posted:

They are getting rid of caleb to bring back Mickey I presume.

Well... Supposedly he gets involved with a transgender dude but Mickey does show up later this season

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That was the best shameless episode in a long time. Carl is still the best, But I enjoyed all of it, even Frank and the Nu-Gallaghers were good.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wonder how much tinder paid for the in show advertising? Hope it dies down cause it's getting close to subway levels.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God V is so hot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Wonder how much tinder paid for the in show advertising? Hope it dies down cause it's getting close to subway levels.

Didn't she just say it once this episode at the beginning? I feel like it's more commenting on a current phenomenon than being obtrusive advertising

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Did anybody catch the logo on Carl's test results? Looked like the County General logo from ER.

Nice touch if it was.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Didn't she just say it once this episode at the beginning? I feel like it's more commenting on a current phenomenon than being obtrusive advertising

Yes but second time this season two episodes in a row. We get it, you get laid easy on tinder.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Best episode recap yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have no gripes with this episode (though does anyone really use xe/xeir pronouns?). Thoroughly enjoyable all the way through. And directed by Emmy Rossum!

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
if fiona is debbies legal guardian and debbie is underage is what fiona is doing even remotely legal lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EVIL NOONER posted:

if fiona is debbies legal guardian and debbie is underage is what fiona is doing even remotely legal lol

Realistically all Debbie contesting her would accomplish is the baby getting taken and her getting put into a foster home.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

MiddleOne posted:

Realistically all Debbie contesting her would accomplish is the baby getting taken and her getting put into a foster home.

Fiona is a really lovely person

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The absolute worst, for like 5 seasons running.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MiddleOne posted:

The absolute worst, for like 5 seasons running.

I'm ok with this storyline, though, because Debbie is stupid and annoying and I want her and her dumb baby to die

Fiona is being a dumb poo poo after fighting for legal guardianship though, yes

Also I'll laugh if Carl goes ends up being the only one out of the group to turn his life around

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
I am annoyed that the inclusion of a transgender character turned into a five minute "The More You Know" PSA, and that Ian isn't just inexperienced with transgender issues but a rube who apparently just crawled out from under a rock in terms of social skills. The whole brunch was so stiff and unnatural.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Never you mind posted:

I am annoyed that the inclusion of a transgender character turned into a five minute "The More You Know" PSA, and that Ian isn't just inexperienced with transgender issues but a rube who apparently just crawled out from under a rock in terms of social skills. The whole brunch was so stiff and unnatural.

yeah kids from the ghetto are highly regarded for both their social skills and lgbtq awareness

the ones that suffer from mental illness doubly so, so i agree this was very strange !

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Never you mind posted:

Between this and the speakeasy from last season and random poo poo like the robot wars it almost feels like the writers see some headline or get a 15 second rundown of some random popular thing look no further into it then base entire plotlines on it blindly.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
yeah thats true, shurikens have been all over the news lately (if you know where to look) and i was a little miffed at their ignorant inclusion of them in last nights episode

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I'm ok with this storyline, though, because Debbie is stupid and annoying and I want her and her dumb baby to die

Fiona is being a dumb poo poo after fighting for legal guardianship though, yes

Also I'll laugh if Carl goes ends up being the only one out of the group to turn his life around

Debby is my least favorite character, i think in this show Frank is a more redeemable human being than she is. Carl has gone from what i thought of as the worst to the best in the last few seasons and it seems like they've built him to be pretty self sufficient and able to succeed at whatever he puts his mind to, which makes him unique in the Gallagher family.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010

EVIL NOONER posted:

yeah kids from the ghetto are highly regarded for both their social skills and lgbtq awareness

the ones that suffer from mental illness doubly so, so i agree this was very strange !

Please, I'm not expecting that Ian would be totally conversant, but up until his season six reset he was a relatively intelligent person, and he also worked at a gay bar, had gay friends (however briefly), and had at least a passing acquaintance with a guy who was writing a dissertation on transgender sex work. The script set him up to be clueless not because it was in character, but so the audience could have a Learning Moment.

I think it's possible that a transgender character could enrich the show and expand Shameless's storytelling capabilities. I'm just extremely skeptical that this is how it'll play out, because the writers seem to lack any room for subtlety or complexity these days, and because:

socialsecurity posted:

Between this and the speakeasy from last season and random poo poo like the robot wars it almost feels like the writers see some headline or get a 15 second rundown of some random popular thing look no further into it then base entire plotlines on it blindly.

A few years late, too. Remember the hipsters?

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
remember when fiona gave the #speakeasy thing to the cops in the car

did anybody else hope that was going to lead to her getting immediately busted and fired lmao

"ugh lip you're so arrogant, wah wah wah" *invites cops to her illegal bar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Ian not knowing poo poo about the LGBTBBQWTF community was hilarious. I AM NORMAL

• Locked thread