Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think the establishment had an opportunity to be different than their extreme elements. That possibility was missed entirely, rejected outright, or identified too late by different parts of the right. It's now too late for that. There are only a few pundits and politicans on the right I wouldn't call cowards now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Puritans were really into sex, it just had to be married sex.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

I don't think the two can be separated cleanly, even if one is still worse than the other. Establishment conservatism has, since reageanism, fostered white resentment politics to get ahead as much as possible, and to further their business and tax-cutting agenda. To say that it had an 'opportunity' to be different is to assume that the alt-right isn't the logical consequence of their own actions, for the past couple of decades.

They had to opportunity to not put their ideology and ideas above the rest of us.

They also chose power above those ideals, backing a candidate who is only for himself.

Previously they fostered it and exploited it for votes, now it's what they are. Here's the question i would ask. Was there a time in the past when the establishment of the GOP would have been able to choose not to back a nationalistic, racist, authoritarian, nationalist, narcissist?

I'm not trying to abstract here. When I think back, I'm thinking of specific people. Would Dan Miller have accepted this? Would H.W. Bush ( we know that one). Absolutely choices made decades ago set this in motion and some of these people participated in those choices. But many of the R politicians I saw growing up I think would have rejected this.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 25, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

David Brooks just wrote an opinion piece on this. It's better than most of his pieces. It is also way too late and will be ignored by the conservative establishment.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Phone posting so I'm not going to quote the text.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheNakedFantastic posted:

A huge amount of the armchair psychologist garbage from this thread could apply in equal measure leftists "radicals"

Radical groups seek out the people that society has failed to deliver its implied promises to. This is independent of the radical group's goal. Groups like the alt right tend to prey on individuals that have problems functioning in society and thus fail to achieve the norms of the society. Terrorist groups often do the same thing.

Radical groups on the left seem more to seek individuals who aren't getting what is promised by society for reasons like race or class.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's not as simple as they are gently caress ups.
The people I know that ended up as neo nazis weren't horrible people. They just failed over and over again at their goals. One person I know couldn't get into either the Army or Marines. Just couldn't do well enough on the ASVAB. Tried for years. And I know how easy the ASVAB is, yes this person was that challenged. But that type of failure over time can turn a goofy if a little dumb guy into a wreck inside. Then these groups basically roll up and offer acceptance in exchange for belief in thier ideology. When society fails to incorporate the marginal these extremist groups prey on thier desire for meaning and acceptance.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not that these people are uncaring. It's that they were offered meaning and acceptance when it was absent from thier lives, transgressing the hate groups norms means losing that meaning and acceptance. It's a threat to thier identity after they are part of the group.

Edit: another way to say this is: The payment of sin is death. If these people were not separated from society and the promises of our society this opportunity for hate groups would not exist and we would not have to face it's consequences.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

There is no reason to choose hate groups. Why they choose hate groups is a question that deserves answers.

The hate groups actively seek these people. Alternately it's what they stumble into.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

So no clarification I see about tweeting holocaust pics at Jewish people. Thanks for providing proof you're a subhuman.

This is a better way to approach radicals.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/15/485900076/how-a-danish-town-helped-young-muslims-turn-away-from-isis

Calling people subhuman is a gross simplification. The alt right are humans, our brothers and sisters, who have fallen into harmful ideology and behavior. The way you are approaching it is harmful and I think antithetical to the example set by Jesus.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Widukind...

Are you sure that's what you want to go with?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wow what did you guys do to bring out the racists?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Are you asking why a thread about racist right wing movement has racists posting in it?

Here's what I want to know: What in your life led you to these beliefs?

I am uninterested in the structure of your beliefs. I don't care about the rationalizations for them. I want to know the meaning, the real significance they have for you. What happened in your life that brought you here believing this?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thought this was decent and on topic:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EdmHwwa403vAyBg

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

American, Communist, Fascist, or any identity one chooses is as much of an illusion. Materially and practically racial identity can be used to organize society and had real world implications.

So why would you choose the identity "white" why does that particular category have meaning to you? Why is that what you are choosing to be?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm White and multi cultural American identity doesn't appeal to me.

So you are rejecting a "multi cultural identity" more than positively affirming anything. Why do you feel a multi cultural identity is harmful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The societies it has produced are alienated, dying, self hating constructs sustained mostly by the mass importation of labour from the third world.

So with regards to your life specifically, what leads you to this conclusion. What is the alienation in your life? What in you life is dying? Who are the self hating individuals you know?

• Locked thread