Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This thread is for people who have already voted in the United States general election. (Sorry for people living in the rest of the world with your marginal democratic traditions)

Please share your early voting stories, and talk about how easy/difficult the process was. I know that the lucky ones among you live in civilized states like Oregon and Washington where all voting is done by mail, but I know some of you have to go through a process to vote absentee or early.

Basically, bump this thread when you vote.

And I hope there isn't too many objections to making a D&D thread in GBS. This is more for fun stories and patting ourselves on the back, not for political arguments.

(obviously if you haven't voted, but have a question about it, you can also post in this thread)

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I am legally a resident of the State of Montana, but I live in Santiago de Chile. To vote, I downloaded and printed a form authorizing my absent voting, and giving them my e-Mail address. I had to mail it back to the United States, which despite the long journey, must have only taken a week, because I got an e-Mail with a link to a website. I filled out an electronic ballot, saved it as a pdf, and e-Mailed it back to the county clerk of my county in Montana.

There were a few things that went wrong, the website for Montana wouldn't work for me, apparently because of my foreign IP address (which is kind of to be expected for people voting from a foreign country), so I had to go to a proxy server. I imagine a less technical person would have been clueless about this problem. But the entire thing was pretty easy, over all. The postage was a dollar, and it did take a week to get there, but it was pretty easy. And now I can be proud that I voted!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I voted for Hillary and Jay Inslee. Down ballot I don't give a poo poo, so wrote-in a lot of joke names as is my custom.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
voted here in arizona by mail, specifically maricopa county

gently caress arpaio, gently caress mccain, gently caress trump, voted for their opponens

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

voted here in arizona by mail, specifically maricopa county

gently caress arpaio, gently caress mccain, gently caress trump, voted for their opponens

What is the Arizona process like? Was it in person or absentee?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i voted for donald trump

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mail in from Utah. Voted straight ticket, save for potus. gently caress Trump, gently caress Clinton, and gently caress anyone wasting a vote on either one. I went with the third party candidate I thought had a chance of at least making a showing.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

glowing-fish posted:

I am legally a resident of the State of Montana, but I live in Santiago de Chile. To vote, I downloaded and printed a form authorizing my absent voting, and giving them my e-Mail address. I had to mail it back to the United States, which despite the long journey, must have only taken a week, because I got an e-Mail with a link to a website. I filled out an electronic ballot, saved it as a pdf, and e-Mailed it back to the county clerk of my county in Montana.

There were a few things that went wrong, the website for Montana wouldn't work for me, apparently because of my foreign IP address (which is kind of to be expected for people voting from a foreign country), so I had to go to a proxy server. I imagine a less technical person would have been clueless about this problem. But the entire thing was pretty easy, over all. The postage was a dollar, and it did take a week to get there, but it was pretty easy. And now I can be proud that I voted!

i ttoo suffered many hardships on my journey but i overcame them and voted for donald trump

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

reallivedinosaur posted:

i voted for donald trump

how does it feel to be a hero?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Zorodius posted:

how does it feel to be a hero?

its not about the glory my boy

i put my bootstraps on one at a time like everyone else

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I got my ballot in the mail. It was four separate ballots (Lol California) but i filled it out and just have to put the stamps on it to send in

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Genderfluent posted:

I got my ballot in the mail. It was four separate ballots (Lol California) but i filled it out and just have to put the stamps on it to send in

In California, do they do what they do in Oregon, and give you a voter pamphlet? Or sometimes two?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

reallivedinosaur posted:

i ttoo suffered many hardships on my journey but i overcame them and voted for donald trump

What state are you in?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Voted Saturday in NV. Was about 65 minutes of waiting in line which would have been about 20 minutes if the line weren't composed almost entirely of old fuckers that took ten times as long as should have been necessary to push a few things on a touch screen.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

scrubs season six posted:

Voted Saturday in NV. Was about 65 minutes of waiting in line which would have been about 20 minutes if the line weren't composed almost entirely of old fuckers that took ten times as long as should have been necessary to push a few things on a touch screen.

So they have staffed polling places open for at least two weeks before the election? Where do they find the volunteers or whatever to run them?

That is pretty good, though.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

In California, do they do what they do in Oregon, and give you a voter pamphlet? Or sometimes two?

Yeah I got a whole book of propositions and candidate statements from my county and from the state. You can bet I didn't read much of them

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The OP is good for recognizing the superiority of the civilized states of Washington and Oregon.

Voted in my pajamas.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Industrial Meat Package posted:

The OP is good for recognizing the superiority of the civilized states of Washington and Oregon.

Voted in my pajamas.

Its not so much superiority as the only way to do things.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

how much bodily fluid can i get on my ballot before they toss it

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

hth posted:

how much bodily fluid can i get on my ballot before they toss it

ihhave it on GOOD authority that you can soak a ballot 69% of the way before they put it in the hazmat bin

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I early voted for none of the above. Thanks Richard Pryor you were a visionary ahead of your time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

glowing-fish posted:

What is the Arizona process like? Was it in person or absentee?

arizona is shockingly progressive so i just had to go online and indicate i only want to vote by mail and they mailed a ballot w/ a return envelope etc

which reminds me i voted for the maricopa county recorder helen purcell's opponent. she was responsible for the 7-8 hour voting lines at physical polling places for the primaries.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I voted absentee for Donald Trump. I think I may have orgasamed during the process.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
i votd for tramp

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

R-Type posted:

I voted absentee for Donald Trump. I think I may have orgasamed during the process.

Han Solomon posted:

i votd for tramp

What state though?

This thread really isn't about who you voted for, you can go to D&D and talk about that. This thread is about the PROCESS.

Tell me how you felt, either standing in a line in the rain like an uncool east coast person, or lounging around home in your pajamas like a BEST COASTER.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I voted on the first day of early voting in my state. I got there after my dentist appointment, and a cameraman for a local news channel said I'd have to wait 30 minutes for polls to open, so I got breakfast, and when I came back within a minute of opening there was already a long line. It took about 20 minutes or so for me to get to the end of the line to vote.

Also, I didn't see a single Trump sign. There was one Hillary sign that I noticed, but mostly it was local candidates, and a guy running for some city or state rep position was there handing out flyers and asking for people's votes. I took his flyer and tried to act nice, even though I didn't live in his district and it was super awkward.

Also, they gave out state shaped stickers this time. I've been seeing them around lately, I guess early voting is pretty big this election.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 24, 2016

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

arizona is shockingly progressive

didnt az vote to defund some community colleges entirely

also isnt maricopa the place that has a caricature of boss hog as the sheriff

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 24, 2016

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

shadowvine118 posted:

I voted on the first day of early voting in my state. I got there after my dentist appointment, and a cameraman for a news channel said I'd have to wait 30 minutes for polls to open, so I got breakfast, and when I came back within a minute of opening there was already a long line. It took about 20 minutes or so for me to get to the end of the line to vote.

Also, I didn't see a single Trump sign. There was one Hillary sign that I noticed, but mostly it was local candidates, and a guy running for some city of\r state rep position was there handing out flyers and asking for people's votes. I took his flyer and tried to act nice, even though I didn't live in his district and it was super awkward.

Also, they gave out state shaped stickers this time. I've been seeing them around lately, I guess early voting is pretty big this election.

Most places have like an exclusion zone for campaigning around polling places. Does your state not have one, or is it just not enforced?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I already voted...

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Friginator posted:

I already voted...

Whoa!!!! I was thinking it'd be one thing, and then you had a long space and it was something else entirely! :monocle:

Well I'm voting this thread 2 in any case.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kuato posted:

Whoa!!!! I was thinking it'd be one thing, and then you had a long space and it was something else entirely! :monocle:

Well I'm voting this thread 2 in any case.

i will be voting a 4 to nullify bootleg krang's vote

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Kuato posted:

What can I say? I'm just...

a huge prick.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Most places have like an exclusion zone for campaigning around polling places. Does your state not have one, or is it just not enforced?

Maybe it's just a few feet. All he was doing was standing around and asking people to vote for him.

The last time I voted before the primaries it was for local elections, and there were people standing around in the same area trying to convince me to vote for a particular person, but only one guy this time.

Told Two Times
Feb 13, 2014

by Smythe
My entire dead family voted for Hillary Clinton.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

yes she can commune with the dead, and is a witch

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I just put in 25 votes for Hillary

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
My dog also voted foe Hillary. I filled out the ballot for him.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

So they have staffed polling places open for at least two weeks before the election? Where do they find the volunteers or whatever to run them?

That is pretty good, though.

Yeah, it was at the city hall. Two people checking cards and about 10 touch screen things. Was open 10-2 on Saturday, not sure beyond that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mail in voting is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I would say who I voted for, but we're not allowed to say "friend of the family Hitler" in GBS unless we make it sound liek someone else is saying "friend of the family Hitler" using quotes or whatever. Some people just don't believe in democracy I guess. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread