Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

It's gonna come crashing down soon enough but in the meantime woo flyers :toot:

Flyers should legit be a wild card playoff team this year. Like, it'll be close, but I think they have the talent to do it. Assuming we get Couturier back.

Personally, I think we found the answer to our goaltending issue though: always make sure one goaltender is injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really wish there was some way for Dallas and Philly to meet up in a 7 game series. The scorelines would be amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I really wish there was some way for Dallas and Philly to meet up in a 7 game series. The scorelines would be amazing.

There is :q:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

dadjokes posted:

With the Wings I'm worried that the "youth movement " will be an excuse to keep management around for at least a year or two more. I feel that they have done a great job selling the narrative of how young the team is when it's just Larkin,Mantha, and AA are the only worthwhile young forwards-and even then Mantha and AA started the year down in GR or have bounced up and down.

Those awful contracts to bottom six, late 20s grinders that give Kenny the husband bulge are going to gently caress this team up for years. When the Wings were in their prime they were always an old team so 28/29 is still touted by the org as a young player but I think the NHL has changed a ton since then, and the quality of the vets has taken a nose dive as well. Every year we hear about how this being the year Erisson hopefully puts it together.

I don't really know what to think about Blashill. Sometimes the Wings seem ok and other times they look completely out matched. The original excitement was how he said he was so committed to bringing along younger players but seems to rely on the same vets that Bacock did. I can only imagine just how intense the pressure is to keep the streak alive and couple that with with who Ken signs that must force Blashills hand. Or maybe he is a bad coach, idk.

Blashill has been a great coach at every level and has pretty frequently gotten his teams to play above their talent. I don't really think he's the problem and I'm actually worried that he'll miss the playoffs, get run out of town because he's saddled with a crap roster full of Holland's 3rd liner pet projects, and catch on elsewhere and do a pretty good job while the Wings go through the Dave Lewis 2.0 era.

He could also just not be a good coach, but it's almost impossible to evaluate him properly considering the circumstances

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Blashill's a drat solid coach. He did a great job with GR and Rockford, and did a hell of a job with Western Michigan before that.

I get the feeling Detroit will give him some patience, partly because the roster isn't by his design, and partly also because Ken Holland is loving obsessed with anyone born in Michigan. :v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Blashill has been a great coach at every level and has pretty frequently gotten his teams to play above their talent. I don't really think he's the problem and I'm actually worried that he'll miss the playoffs, get run out of town because he's saddled with a crap roster full of Holland's 3rd liner pet projects, and catch on elsewhere and do a pretty good job while the Wings go through the Dave Lewis 2.0 era.

He could also just not be a good coach, but it's almost impossible to evaluate him properly considering the circumstances

Yeah I mean it's a common refrain to call your coach a piece of poo poo when your team sucks but Detroit doesn't have a roster that should be good. It's not terrible but it's a mediocre roster. I'd say they're right about where they should be in the standings.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm just astounded at the amount of depth players with little upside on that roster. Steve Ott and Drew Miller aren't getting any better. They're also not doing many favors to anyone who plays with them.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

grack posted:

I'm fairly certain that no one cares but Anaheim just got their metaphorical poo poo pushed in by the Flames.

Correction: it's poo poo pushed out.
https://mobile.twitter.com/icemancometh/status/805649569727942656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Gibson poo poo his pants before the game, so the rest of the team decided to show solidarity and poo poo its pants during the game. That's the kind of team spirit only Randy Carlyle can create.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maf is starting his third game in a row. Why ya gotta do this to me Sully.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm just astounded at the amount of depth players with little upside on that roster. Steve Ott and Drew Miller aren't getting any better. They're also not doing many favors to anyone who plays with them.

On that same note and having seen them twice recently, what's the deal with the Avs? You've got Landeskog, Duchene, and MacKinnon, some other young players, then some guys whose names make you go "Who?" and Iginla and a bunch of non-descript veterans who don't seem to be producing much other than, interestingly enough, BORK. I saw them using Comeau on the PP in both games, which didn't happen when he was in Columbus (I'm assuming PIT, too). Tyutin seems to have rebounded a little bit.

Varlamov's numbers aren't great but he seemed to play really well against the Jackets both times- is it like Mike Smith with the Yotes in that he's got no support in front of him?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

On that same note and having seen them twice recently, what's the deal with the Avs? You've got Landeskog, Duchene, and MacKinnon, some other young players, then some guys whose names make you go "Who?" and Iginla and a bunch of non-descript veterans who don't seem to be producing much other than, interestingly enough, BORK. I saw them using Comeau on the PP in both games, which didn't happen when he was in Columbus (I'm assuming PIT, too). Tyutin seems to have rebounded a little bit.

Varlamov's numbers aren't great but he seemed to play really well against the Jackets both times- is it like Mike Smith with the Yotes in that he's got no support in front of him?

Erik Johnson broke his leg Saturday and is done for like 2 months. Toots is day to day and I think Landeskog is still out. Their offense is awful right now.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm not enamored with Blashill at all and part of me wonders what his effect has been on Nyquist and Tatar, who have stunk tremendously under him. That said, he's not anywhere near my top ten list of things wrong with this team, and he could very well be a good NHL coach if he had a competitive roster.

In sum, Detroit sucks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just saw a headline, Enroth on waivers? Has Anderson been doing that well?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Just saw a headline, Enroth on waivers? Has Anderson been doing that well?

freddy's been a top 5 goalie over the past month. go freddy.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I mean it's a common refrain to call your coach a piece of poo poo when your team sucks but Detroit doesn't have a roster that should be good. It's not terrible but it's a mediocre roster. I'd say they're right about where they should be in the standings.

I personally (want to) believe that his deployment/usage/preferred players is really just an organizational case of sunken cost. If you're going to pay bottom 6 players like top 6 players, I'd assume you're more likely to use them as such.

The injuries have actually been a blessing in disguise imo. Sproul and Ouellet (even though Sproul had been getting scratched for Brian loving Lashoff) are only getting to play because Kronwall was/Smith and Marchenko are hurt. I just want Athanasiou and Marchenko to get healthy and then have Abdelkader and Kronwall/Smith to just somehow turn their injuries into LTIR-level ailments so that the kids and loving finally pay and we can find out if they're any good

DeKeyser-Marchenko
Smith/Ericsson-Green
Ouellet-Sproul

Would be a fantastic ROS defense because it's no loving worse than the bullshit that goes out there every night and there's the added benefit of forced future evaluation rather than continuing on this treadmill of mediocrity. That would be my only complaint about Blashill, but I highly doubt that even if he wanted to healthy scratch guys like Ericsson, he would be supported if so. Sounds kinda :tinfoil:, I know, but this stupid playoff streak already had them making enough stupid roster decisions that I wouldn't be surprised if Blashill isn't in full control or even really in agreement with what goes out on the ice. I've just seen him actually manage three different teams about as optimally as he was capable and the only thing different now is Ken Holland's unnaturally bronzed fingers all over everything

i am the bird posted:

I'm not enamored with Blashill at all and part of me wonders what his effect has been on Nyquist and Tatar, who have stunk tremendously under him. That said, he's not anywhere near my top ten list of things wrong with this team, and he could very well be a good NHL coach if he had a competitive roster.

In sum, Detroit sucks.

The issue with those two guys is the issue it's always been: inconsistent linemates and ice time. I fault Blashill for that because I would fault any coach for that, but I am also just frustrated with the roster in general and I don't think there's any coach in the world who would come into Detroit and not give Justin Abdelkader more TOI than either of those guys which, to me, is indicative of higher failing

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 5, 2016

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

freddy's been a top 5 goalie over the past month. go freddy.

Also, while Freddie's been good after the crap start, it's more about Enroth being bad and Ramo probably doing better than him in practice.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Toxicology came back on Svatos: OD'd on opiates. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

kenholland.txt

By the way, while we're piling on Blashill, the 3rd guy on that line last game was Dylan Larkin and that's a loving living nightmare.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

duclair scratched and perlini brought up.

duke's been snakebit but shows a lot more effort getting back on defense. probably a good idea to let him take a day off. perlini has 11 goals in 16 games in the ahl and had some setbacks with a broken hand and something else but he's probably right on track with a callup this year

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

kenholland.txt

By the way, while we're piling on Blashill, the 3rd guy on that line last game was Dylan Larkin and that's a loving living nightmare.

Maybe that's Blashill's way of telling Larkin to just try to go end to end all game and do it all himself.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/805872977795543040

thats a "see you next year!" kind of surgery

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fits posted:

https://twitter.com/SWhyno/status/805872977795543040

thats a "see you next year!" kind of surgery

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/805872922615156736

why did you extend him for four yearsssssssssssssssssss

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I sincerely wish Derek Dorsett a full recovery as long as that recovery takes at least 10 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's getting a disc put in his cervix because he's a weak little girl.

Walk it off.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh good, Galchenyuk out indefinitely.

Great.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

dorsett got 2.5m per year on his four year extension while the team was aware he was 3 or 4 years deep into a chronic disc issue. you stupid rear end motherfuckers

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Martytoof posted:

Great.

David Desharnais is back baby

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Releasing information that retroactively makes a terrible signing even more terrible. That's the most thing ever.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

:lol:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Great.

On the bright side, the collapse in offense will mean Therrien will be fired soon right?

Right?

:smithicide:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Martytoof posted:

Great.

Oh god no.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
man, every time I'm irritated at the Rangers decisions or what AV is doing with the roster, I can count on Vancouver to make me feel better

Kale
May 14, 2010

loving hard to stay healthy when your a Habs first liner or goalie

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Kale posted:

loving hard to stay healthy when your a Habs first liner or goalie

Agreed. Which is why Goldblum will sign a punchman to protect them.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Agreed. Which is why Goldblum will sign a punchman to protect them.

Well there's not much a Punchman can do about them just skating into some other guys leg while neither are really looking where they're going :smith:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Teemu Pokemon posted:

kenholland.txt

I'm so sorry. :(

Levitate posted:

man, every time I'm irritated at the Rangers decisions or what AV is doing with the roster, I can count on Vancouver to make me feel better

AV and the Rangers rule!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I forgot that the world juniors are right around the corner.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Levitate posted:

vancouver heals everyone, except those who love it. those, it hurts grievously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Maf is starting his third game in a row. Why ya gotta do this to me Sully.

Hey, you're talking about a guy with an .893 save percentage over his last three starts. You've gotta ride that while it's hot.

(I sincerely hope it's to bolster his trade value and not because anyone in the org believes that MAF is still the starter.)

• Locked thread