Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was okay, but the bit at the end where they lobotomize the fat guy was stupid as gently caress. Especially because earlier in the film it is explicitly states that they can move to Engerland and gently caress like rabbits if they want. So don't see the movie if you actually pay attention to plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

it is a great movie to see with family.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Unless your family actually pay attention to the dialog and plot then they will all walk out like what a load of poo poo why didn't they just move to England like any sane couple would who want to gently caress?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my main question is, if i liked the books and grew up with them, and i pretty much enjoyed the movies starting with azkaban, will i like this? is it good for casual fans? I'm not a weirdo who keeps up with pottermore and remembers all the minute details and canon. it seems kinda cool but im half way wondering if i should just let the series lie

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

I don't know what you expect from a movie intended for children, OP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

basic hitler posted:

my main question is, if i liked the books and grew up with them, and i pretty much enjoyed the movies starting with azkaban, will i like this? is it good for casual fans? I'm not a weirdo who keeps up with pottermore and remembers all the minute details and canon. it seems kinda cool but im half way wondering if i should just let the series lie

The movie is quite enjoyable. The villain is obvious from the start and there is that huge gaping plot hole. Oh, and there isn't really a main character. The closest is the nerd wizard and he talks with marbles in his mouth so if you aren't from the UK you might miss about 1/2 his dialog. But it's a fun flick all in all.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Probably in things written by Roger Ebert

I mean...

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_THMtUTSe8Q :nws:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Johnny Depp reveal is the dumbest loving poo poo ever.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that. Why not just make him blonde, why make him have weird loving contacts, barely have a mustache and make him so white it looks like he's dipped in baby powder?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that. Why not just make him blonde, why make him have weird loving contacts, barely have a mustache and make him so white it looks like he's dipped in baby powder?

I just hope he's only a part of The Next Harry Potter movie instead of the movie being about him, because I am done as gently caress with Wacky Makeup Johnny Depp.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i saw myself in fat polish man's shoes because i too am irrestible to beautiful ladies with magical powers because i do not have magical powers

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

I just hope he's only a part of The Next Harry Potter movie instead of the movie being about him, because I am done as gently caress with Wacky Makeup Johnny Depp.

He's going to be the Voldemort of the next 4(!) movies.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

At the point in the movie where I realized who that character was, I got super, super excited. I thought Colin Farrell would have been a loving perfect, dapper Grindelwald.

And then it's like, nope. White hair evil eyes gotta make sure that's clear.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What point? The very first scene where they make it obvious?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Alan Smithee posted:

i saw myself in fat polish man's shoes because i too am irrestible to beautiful ladies with magical powers because i do not have magical powers

Same but with magical rhinos because I wear the monster version of Axe instead.

Edit: Wait, you're allowed to post open spoilers in threads in BV right? That's what the spoiler rules thread says? That if the thread is about the movie go crazy? Awesome.

basic hitler posted:

Give me a few buddy. I'm gonna post a synopsis of this movie from memory (it's been a few weeks.) I just want to keep it from getting too long because of the forum rules. But you should be able to read my totally unbiased write up and determine for yourself based on that.

(The TL;DR is it's really dreary and really bad. It felt like it had ADHD, often jumping from thing to thing with little to no lead up. But it does do and introduce some neat stuff and have a bit of exploration into 1920 America's Wizarding world.)

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 3, 2016

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

What point? The very first scene where they make it obvious?

When he gave the kid the pendant. It occurred to me who he was, and that we'll get to see a young Dumbledore whoop his rear end in a later movie.

I really liked that he was an attractive, charismatic looking guy! Like, someone who you would quest with because he talked you into glory, but is deeply evil at heart.

(Don't know if the spoiler is necessary, but since it's from the books, safe than sorry).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Uh...they made it obvious the first time you see him. You see back of blondes head then the other guy a few seconds later. Anyone who didn't pick up on this wasnt paying attention.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I can't make the synopsis not very long without doing this movie justice. I'm gonna post it and report my own post around 3am so I can hopefully sleep through the probation. It's gonna be huge.

(They're gonna probate me bigly and wait until around 11 am to do so now that I have revealed my cunning plan and I'll 100% deserve it. Love you mods!)

Anyway, expect a long post that is hopefully funny/entertaining later tonight.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2016

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thread bookmarked in anticipation, hope you deliver!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Okay so, I've been tinkering with it for awhile and it's just so big. While I do have a bit of a reputation for posting long rear end screeds from time to time I like them to have a point. This long rear end screed does have a point but it's not the intended point. My goal is to make it humorous and entertaining and I'm not sure it's either. So I'm not gonna consume vast swaths of thread with it (sorry!)

For those who are curious you can read the whole thing here. Let me know if you liked it or got anything from it and feel free to talk about it and roast me in this thread.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

ScrubLeague posted:

But how will we know he's evil if he doesn't have an evil haircut, evil contacts, evil mustache, evil skin, evil mustache, and evil accent? I can't handle the ambiguous morals of this franchise!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jenner posted:

Same but with magical rhinos because I wear the monster version of Axe instead.

Edit: Wait, you're allowed to post open spoilers in threads in BV right? That's what the spoiler rules thread says? That if the thread is about the movie go crazy? Awesome.

Give me a few buddy. I'm gonna post a synopsis of this movie from memory (it's been a few weeks.) I just want to keep it from getting too long because of the forum rules. But you should be able to read my totally unbiased write up and determine for yourself based on that.

(The TL;DR is it's really dreary and really bad. It felt like it had ADHD, often jumping from thing to thing with little to no lead up. But it does do and introduce some neat stuff and have a bit of exploration into 1920 America's Wizarding world.)

im assuming BV is the low effort dgaf posting thread for movies so...sure?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

im assuming BV is the low effort dgaf posting thread for movies so...sure?

For :words: click here.

If enough people truly want me to poo poo up the thread that much I'll C&P it though. I just wanted to be considerate.

Wizards seem pretty isolated from humans and their, for lack of a better word, cultures seem different. It's a good thing.

The original Harry Potter movies were notoriously white washed (with Lavender Brown being depicted by a black actress until her plot relevant romance with Ron where she magically became white. :discourse:) Fantastic Beasts adds a few more PoC actresses (was there a single black man in this movie? Please let me know because I don't remember seeing one and I refuse to see this movie again.) A woman of color plays the role of the President of the Magical Congress. The added PoC is probably intended to show that America is a more diverse wizarding community but I'm not sure if there were actually a greater number of non-white characters in this movie then in the base HP movies. I think it was roughly the same. Regardless, it implies that American wizards are not racist against black people (while almost the whole of the muggle America totally was*) but still intolerant of the non-magical. (I don't think a British wizard ever treats a non-white character poorly and Kingsley is black so it might be the same there.) It's interesting that to magical people it is ability, not race, that sets them apart. (Oh and country of origin, I recall one character being mocked and bullied for his country of origin.)

I am talking far too sincerely on the poo poo posting and bad opinion forum.

*This is a historical fact but is not depicted in the movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Really got to set the record straight here.. This is not the shitposting forum. Its the forum for me and all my friends to love movies

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had forgotten about the lavender brown thing, i remember that more or less by the time you get to the later movies the background characters had changed so much i didn't bother trying to keep up with who they were supposed to be in the books. But when Lavender comes on screen and she's a honky it's probably the first time i ever thought a recast was hosed up

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Really got to set the record straight here.. This is not the shitposting forum. Its the forum for me and all my friends to love movies

Oh ok! It's okay if we, your new best friends, don't love every movie though right? Because this movie was bad.

basic hitler posted:

I had forgotten about the lavender brown thing, i remember that more or less by the time you get to the later movies the background characters had changed so much i didn't bother trying to keep up with who they were supposed to be in the books. But when Lavender comes on screen and she's a honky it's probably the first time i ever thought a recast was hosed up

I have to be honest I didn't even notice originally (#Thisiswhiteprivilege) but a black feminist I follow on Twitter pointed it out. She's played by two separate black actresses while she's just a background character but as soon as it's time for smooching nope nope nope gotta be white. We can't have any interracial relationships in our hyper white incestuous wizarding community! What kind of message would that send?

(It was really sad because said black feminist had read the books so in the earlier movies when she spotted Lavender Brown she was like, "Oh boy! Interracial kiss is coming! So excite!" And then, "Never mind they just recast her as white. gently caress everything.")

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Was the Zapdos bird monster supposed to be a native American thunderbird rip off?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the harry potter movies are light entertainment for children but don't let that stop your crippling white guilt from motivating you to write massive forums posts about what a black woman on twitter said about them one time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sorru Jenner I actually meant to probate you for the more recent post. However for some reason this discussion about the new Harry Potter spin off movie has become extrememly hard to read.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh, I actually did probate you for the correct post after all. Apologies for any confusion, and best of luck with the thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OH I just got the thread title

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've got two things to say about this movie:

FIRST, that wizards in the 1920s were way more badass than wizards in the late 90s. These dudes were instant-teleporting across rooftops like No Big Deal and having wicked duels without having to say the names of their spells.

SECOND, that it was ultra-disappointing that the badguy was grindelwald himself (getting chumped) in a disguise instead of an rear end in a top hat grindelwald supporter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ScrubLeague posted:

I am done as gently caress with Johnny Depp.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i dont mind johnny depp as an actor but his hair in this movie is just the worst. what's the loving deal w/ depps hair?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

basic hitler posted:

i dont mind johnny depp as an actor but his hair in this movie is just the worst. what's the loving deal w/ depps hair?

He looked like john Dillinger run through a bleaching machine

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

Was the Zapdos bird monster supposed to be a native American thunderbird rip off?

Probably.

net cafe scandal posted:

Oh, I actually did probate you for the correct post after all. Apologies for any confusion, and best of luck with the thread.

I was about to say, beyond it being one of my posts there's nothing particularly obnoxious with the post I made before the one you probated me for. I was just talking about how white washed the HP movies are and brought up the Lavender Brown situation because it really highlights the problem. (And discussed how Fantastic Beasts has the same problem.) It was an alright post.

I was a bit confused that you'd probate me for it.

It makes much more sense for me to be probated for talking about how white people tend to rarely notice a lack of racial diversity in media and about a black person's reaction to not just a lack of diversity, but a removal of it. Because our conversation was about "casting issues." When you start talking about things like casting it is often a discussion about representation and racial issues. My post was about casting issues because I was talking about its effect on people but it was too loose of a link.

TL;DR I was too SJW and off topic.

On the topic of casting issues: The HP movies generally had good casting in regards to actor choice (they were just predominantly white people, which is a different kind of casting issue.) When I think of bad casting I think of the studio hiring the wrong actor to play a role. FB has an alright (but mostly white) cast. The exception is Johnny Depp as Grindewald, that's some real bad casting.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

twerking on the railroad posted:

Probably in things written by Roger Ebert

I mean...

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_THMtUTSe8Q :nws:

Or read his review of Rapa Nui

Roger Ebert posted:

"Rapa Nui" slips through the National Geographic Loophole. This is the Hollywood convention which teaches us that brown breasts are not as sinful as white ones, and so while it may be evil to gaze upon a blond Playboy centerfold and feel lust in our hearts, it is educational to watch Polynesian maidens frolicking topless in the surf. This isn't sex; it's geography.

For years in my liberal youth I thought this loophole was racist, an evil double standard in which white women were protected from exposure while "native" women were cruelly stripped of their bras, not to mention the equal protection of the MPAA. While watching "Rapa Nui," in which there are dozens if not hundreds of wonderful bare breasts on view, I have changed my mind. Since womens' breasts are the most aesthetically pleasing part of the human anatomy, it is only a blessing if your culture celebrates them.

The movie, which is sublimely silly, takes place in the South Seas in the carefree days before missionaries and other visitors arrived to distribute brassieres, smallpox, and VD. The action takes place on Easter Island, "the navel of the world," whose inhabitants languish under a senile king. The king is of the Long Ear tribe, which has enslaved the Short Ears and impoverished the island by building dozens of giant stone faces. The purpose of the faces is to attract the great White Canoe which the king believes will carry him off to heaven. No face can be big enough. "Build another one," he tells the slaves at one point. "Then take the rest of the day off." This is a king, played with superb comic timing by Eru Potaka-Dewes, who has lots of good lines. "Tell me you won't make fish hooks of my thigh bones," he tearfully implores his high priest.

The priest, however, has the movie's best line: "I'm busy! I've got chicken entrails to read!" Meanwhile, sweating slaves pull giant sledges and plot rebellion.

The plot stars Jason Scott Lee as Noro, a young Long Ear who has fallen in love with a Short Ear girl, the breathtakingly lovely Sandrine Holt. He goes to the chief for permission to marry her, which is granted - but on two conditions. 1) He must win the annual competition among the young men of the island; 2) She must spend six months locked in the darkness of the Cave of the White Virgin.

This is a lot better deal for him than her. The competition, sort of a Polynesian triathlon, requires the young men to climb down a cliff to the sea, swim to an offshore peak, climb the peak, steal the first eggs of spring from birds' nests, swim back with them, climb the cliff, and present the eggs to the chief. Break an egg, and you're an omelet. Meanwhile, the bride-to-be slowly goes blind in the Cave of the White Virgin, so called because that's what you become after you lose your tan in the dark - always assuming of course that you were a virgin to begin with.

Concern for my reputation prevents me from recommending this movie. I wish I had more nerve. I wish I could simply write, "Look, of course it's one of the worst movies ever made. But it has hilarious dialogue, a weirdo action climax, a bizarre explanation for the faces of Easter Island, and dozens if not hundreds of wonderful bare breasts." I am however a responsible film critic and must conclude that "Rapa Nui" is a bad film. If you want to see it anyway, of course, that's strictly your concern. I think I may check it out again myself.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ebert loved him some titties. He gave a lot of movies passes if they showed some good ones.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GonSmithe posted:

I think they're trying to do a a Star Wars sith thing where using dark magic fucks up your face like the evil side of the force, of course this makes no sense because in the Harry Potter movies when you see an old Grindlewald he's just an old man and there's nothing hosed up about his face.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GonSmithe posted:

Ebert loved him some titties. He gave a lot of movies passes if they showed some good ones.

One of the few reviewers who really understood that film is a visual art form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Waltzing Along posted:

It was okay, but the bit at the end where they lobotomize the fat guy was stupid as gently caress. Especially because earlier in the film it is explicitly states that they can move to Engerland and gently caress like rabbits if they want. So don't see the movie if you actually pay attention to plot.
Why didn't they just smuggle him out like they smuggle everything in the entire movie constantly :confused:

Also why doesn't everyone just live in a suitcase

And who would come out of their suitcase without having some wizard-peephole

So many whys and yet I still had a good time. Maybe because I got to see the normals get hosed with a lot for once which they carefully avoided before due to all the complications.

• Locked thread