Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

In light of the growing leftist revolution happening in these United States, quite a few goons have decided to partake in politics to fight our Golden shower overlord, such as this thread in this very forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800657 .

That being said, we are talking about goons here so we are all terrible introverts with no basic understanding of human emotion, social cues or how to carry on basic conversations. I figured this would be a nice central repository for any topics or conversation starters that lest spergy goons can provide to us politically minded goons who haven't had a real in person conversation in over a decade. Feel free to post whatever may help a fellow goon attempt to implement full communism now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

"it's time to burn your garbage, sellout party to the ground and start over. also, gently caress you."

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"Check out this website. https://www.nfl.com. Just check it out."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

buy me with my money

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Shut up about guns.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Nothing because they do not exist OP

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bernie would have won

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Nothing because they do not exist

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boosted_C5 posted:

Shut up about guns.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

only talk economics, ever

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I called Mark Warner's office and said in very polite terms to go gently caress himself for voting against Klobuchar Amdt. No. 178 and then refusing to make a statement about it. I guess that's a local Dem.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
ctrl f marx

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

You ask what real change might look like, and I think that’s a really interesting question for liberals and radicals, because there is a hunger for change, out there - millions of people who feel sort of insecure, uncertain about the future who DO want something to change. I think that change only comes though a big imaginative idea. A sort of picture of another kind of future which gives people - which connects with that fearfulness in the back of people’s minds. And offers them a release from it. That's the key thing. But I think the question for liberals and radicals is - they are always suspicious of big ideas. That's what lurks underneath the liberal mindset. And the reason is - and they are quite right in a way - is look what happened last time when millions of people got swept up in a big idea! Look up the last hundred years - what happened in Russia, and then in Germany. The point is , Is that Political change is frightening. It's scary — it's thrilling because it is dynamic and is doing something to change the world but it is scary because it can change things in ways where nothing to secure. Its like being in an earthquake. Even the solid ground beneath you begins to move. And things dissolve that you think are solid and real. And I think the question liberals are left have to face at the moment is a really sort of difficult question which is: “do you really want change? do you really want it?” Because if you do many of them might find themselves in a very uncertain world where they might lose all sorts of things. What we were talking about, in many cases, is people who are at the center of society at the moment, they are not out in the margins. They would have a lot to lose from real political change because it really would change things in the structure of power.

Or - and this is the brutal question: Do you just want things to change a little bit? Do you just want the banks to be a little bit nicer, or for people to be a little more respectful of each other's identities - All of which is good - but basically you carry on living in a nice world where you tinker with it.

That’s the key question. But you can't just sit there forever worrying about big ideas because there are millions of people out there who do you want Change. And the key thing is: they feel they’ve got nothing to lose. You might have lots to lose, but they feel they’ve got absolute nothing to lose. But at the moment they're being led by the Right. So things won't remain the same. But society may go off in ways you really don’t want.

SO in answer to your question, what you need is a powerful vision of the future. With all its dangers. But it is also quite thrilling. It will be an escape from the staticness of the world we have today. And to do that, you’ve got to engage with the giant forces of power that now run the world, at the moment. And the key thing is that in confronting those powers, and trying to transform the world you might lose a lot. This is a sort of forgotten idea. Is that actually you surrender yourself up to a big idea and in the the process you might lose something but you’d actually gain a bigger sense, because you change the world for the better. I know it sounds soppy, But this is the forgotten thing about politics. Is that you give up some of your individualism to something bigger than yourself. You surrender yourself - and it’s a lost idea. And I think really in answer to your question: You can spot real change happening when you see people from the liberal middle classes, beginning to give themselves up to something. Surrender themselves for something bigger. And at the moment, there is nothing like that in the liberal imagination.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

Bernie would have won

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yesterday i was at an event where a couple of local groups were planning on how to protest the conversion of city-owned property into a condo where only 5% of units would be affordable to the average person in the neighborhood. the city council member for the district was in attendance and even though she did talk a lot, she said she was against the project in its current form. refreshing to hear when two local assemblymembers, the district's state senator, and the district's congressmember have been vocally against it for a while

also one of those assemblymembers was there and she thanked the DSA for co-hosting it so she's pretty cool in my book

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Shut up about guns.

EugeneJ posted:

Bernie would have won

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was her turn

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
u could of have a progressive but u hosed up so know u just get piss in the face until u regain control

now instead u will arise daily to the trump twitter call to prayer and prostrate yourselves...

https://twitter.com/DWStweets/status/796496062718574592

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

Nothing because they do not exist OP

Oh poo poo maybe I'm going crazy. Either way I'm doubling down like a true centrist democrat and blame Republicans for my apparent delusions

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Mariana Horchata posted:

u could of have a progressive but u hosed up so know u just get piss in the face until u regain control

now instead u will arise daily to the trump twitter call to prayer and prostrate yourselves...

https://twitter.com/DWStweets/status/796496062718574592

i only know one DWS fan here in Florida and she (the fan) is a moneyed lesbian who has never not worked for an NGO

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Be friendly. Keep showing up. Make small talk. Ask about people's kids and their commute and all that nonsense.

Becoming a "regular" that can make an impact on a community is possibly more important than having the right theoretical policy ideas to present at the microphone

LinYutang has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jan 15, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

it was her turn

Was it her turn? As you punch them in the face repeatedly.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

mumble "hello" barely loudly enough to be heard because its real life and not twitter

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Shut up about guns.

At my dnc meeting this was literally the only concrete proposal since anything bit gun control was too controversial to bring up

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

LinYutang posted:

Be friendly. Keep showing up. Make small talk. Ask about people's kids and their commute and all that nonsense.

Becoming a "regular" that can make an impact on a community is possibly more important than having the right theoretical policy ideas to present at the microphone

And once you have their trust and they turn their back you gut em like a fish

I like your style

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Annual Prophet posted:

"it's time to burn your garbage, sellout party to the ground and start over. also, gently caress you."

EugeneJ posted:

Bernie would have won

these two things over and over

also "property is theft" as the only valid jesusian economic philosophy

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Stop supporting belligerent hyperminorities.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"you're fired"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"the unemployment line is that way, but be warned it's not your gated community and there might be actual minorities in it"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"It's time for some game theory"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
"i have this computer model here that says we don't need to worry about those people"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"israel is a terrorist state"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am now off the local democrats mailing list :(

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sorry, I don't carry cash.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

im gay

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I have no interest in giving you my money because look what the gently caress you did with it last time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I was volunteering for a state senate special election today. A woman got back from door to door work and said she was assigned to knock on a Republican door. I said "Can they communicate in anything besides MAGA?!" and everyone in the room had blank faces. None of them knew what "MAGA" meant so I had to awkwardly explain. I legitimately thought most youngish liberals knew MAGA by now because of how ridiculous it is, but whatever.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

google karl marx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Annual Prophet posted:

Remove the gently caress you, as it may alienate potential supporters of the cause.

• Locked thread