Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/ottdogbuns/status/883415203425255425

Kingdom Hearts is a long running franchise by Square Enix about anime kids and giant keys. Also something about Disney and stuff, but mainly the first two. With the massive success of KH1, a sequel was bound to happen and boy do things get weird. Though before we got 2, there was Chain of Memories, released on the GBA, which is mostly a retread of the first game with stuff that builds up to event that'll happen in 2. This is where the series starts to branch away from the Disney-ness of it all and becomes its own thing, for better or for worse. But man, the combat's so rad!

Final Mix adds a lot to Kingdom Hearts 2, with new abilities, a new form, puzzles to find, several new boss fights and a whole new area for said boss fights as well as some extra cutscenes, now with English voice acting! Final Mix on the PS4 also changes the framerate to be 60 FPS, which aside from making the game silky smooth, also kind of broke a lot of stuff. Most of it has been patched as of these recordings but yea, things were rough the first few months.

As with KH Final Mix, I'll be playing on the hardest difficulty, which introduced for KH2FM is Critical Mode. Critical gives you tons of AP to start with, as well as several abilities and makes the game more than just "press X to win". Doesn't mean I don't still do that, but you'll see how well that goes. Enemies hit harder, but that's expected. I'll be trying to show much as much as I can, from the boss fights to the items you get via synthesis.

As mention in the last thread, If you wanna talk about the series where it's at now, check out the Kingdom Hearts General in games. If you wanna see how far your wallet can take you, there's also the Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ thread as well.

Final Death Count: 390

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 27, 2018

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The first video was commentated so long ago I literally do not remember when we did it.

(Also the regular cast members are: Myself, RotationSurgeon, and Xumtosis)

E: OK my reference to Bayonetta makes me think we recorded this in APRIL because thats when Bayonetta came out on steam

Mico fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 28, 2017

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
First episode recorded the day after Kingdom Hearts 2 came out in the US.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kingdom! Hearts! 2! loving! Owns!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, you're back.

This is one of my all-time gaming guilty pleasures. So much fun but so embarrassing to look at. I never got to play the Final Mix version either, and yeah it adds a loooooot of stuff.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

I810BUX posted:

First episode recorded the day after Kingdom Hearts 2 came out in the US.

You filthy liar

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah, you're back.

This is one of my all-time gaming guilty pleasures. So much fun but so embarrassing to look at. I never got to play the Final Mix version either, and yeah it adds a loooooot of stuff.

I've actually only gotten so far into KH2FM on PS3 (Pride Lands) so most of the actual FM content will be all completely new to me and will be very interesting to fight the CoM bosses without using the drat card system. This is gonna be a long LP.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, man, I have been waiting for this thread with bated breath since the KH1 thread ended. *titters with glee*

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
i hope u post every runthrough of atlantica trying to get perfects

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Liking the start to the LP, hopefully it all works out!

About the choices (Sword/Shield/Staff) that speedruns choose, the answer is kinda variable depending on the run. To note, in KH2 the initial choice for the struggle bats gives you a stat boost while the choice in the Station of Awakening changes what abilities you learn later on.

For KH2 critical any%, they typically go with Sword/Shield; I don't know *exactly* why and it's never been clearly explained to me, but I do know that you get Once More early on (which is obviously useful to avoid dying if things get bad) and Item Boost might be useful in some hairy situations too. Outside of that, I don't think the choice matters that much, since that speedrun is at the end of the game at around level 33ish. Beginner mode speedrun, on the other hand, chooses Sword/Sword, probably cause there's not much chance in dying.

In KH1, it's also different depending on the difficulty. Proud mode chooses to pick up the Sword/drop the staff, likely because normal physical combos are very important and you can die easily so you don't want to drop the shield. In Beginner mode, you pick up the staff/drop the shield because MP is super great and important, and you don't need to worry about dying.

And to clarify something about Critical mode, one of the reasons why you die a lot faster is that your HP is basically halved from the other modes on top the the increased damage.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Ventana posted:

And to clarify something about Critical mode, one of the reasons why you die a lot faster is that your HP is basically halved from the other modes on top the the increased damage.

The obvious thing is always the thing I forgot to mention (and still do!).

I'm hoping to get at least 2-3 updates per week, depending if how busy things get so I should have a steady flow of videos ready. Now enjoy some nerf fights.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I forget, does anything in particular happen if you beat Setzer, or do you just not get anything for it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KieranWalker posted:

I forget, does anything in particular happen if you beat Setzer, or do you just not get anything for it?

You get the champion belt, which gives you +20% magic resistance which is (unfortunately) a drop in the bucket in Critical mode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I found the boost to be really good exactly because it's Critical so a flat -20% to certain moves is effectively another hit you can take and less chance of getting a surprise one-shot.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
You actually can lose that fight with Setzer by just letting him take out all your health, much faster than waiting for the time to run out.

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I found the boost to be really good exactly because it's Critical so a flat -20% to certain moves is effectively another hit you can take and less chance of getting a surprise one-shot.

The problem with the champion's belt is mostly that it only offers the resistance bonuses and no defense upgrade, but the very first moogle shop you'll run into when you get to the main worlds will sell you the same resistances but with a defense boost (the specific bangles, or or the chain with all the resistances) all for pretty cheap. On the other hand, finding things that give you strength bonuses don't come by very often and little points in strength matter a lot. Specific resistances help with certain fights yeah, but those will be spread out so it's not like you'll see the effects very much unless you plan specifically. Going with the medal is just the better choice overall.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Ventana posted:

You actually can lose that fight with Setzer by just letting him take out all your health, much faster than waiting for the time to run out.

Mmmmm the most ya know. After the loss from Hayner, I didn't want to take any chances.

Plus as mention, the moogles do have some decent armor for keeping you alive plus you just happen to get better gear by synthesis which, thanks to the lucky lucky abilities we got early on, means we can craft earlier and faster. It'll make getting the best gear in this game much easier than in KH1, give or take finding the recipes.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You get 2 AP for making 1050 munny in the second day, which is not worth playing them 21 times. Specially when you already have 50 from critical mode anyway :v:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 31, 2017

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Frionnel posted:

You get 2 AP for making 1050 munny in the second day, which is not worth playing them 21 times. Specially when you already have 50 from critical mode anyway :v:

Man, that's not even worth it in any other mode. Synthing AP Boosts in this game is pretty easy, thank christ.

So just a heads up, Part 5 is kind of a screwy update due to weird technical problems we had so there will be two parts for the next update to make up for it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Great animation job on Pluto there Squeenix.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Not even five videos in and I'm starting to slack off. Well i did say a double update, but that was due to another fuckup so bare with us for the fifth video. Everything goes smoothly after that. Can't say the same for our pal, Roxas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Note: Roxas died on the way back to his home planet dimension.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Not gonna lie, I think it's a bit messed up that Sora/Donald/Goofy were laughing about how they killed Maleficent. She was totally evil and deserved it, but maybe they enjoyed the murder a bit too much.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, it was a few episodes back but according to people who know more about this series than I do, there are no pre-Final Fantasy VII characters in these games because Nomura is said to be extremely reverent of Amano(?) and his designs, and didn't want to gently caress with them to make them fit the art style of the games (see Setzer in this game, who I might not have known was Setzer if they didn't say his name).

I remember getting really excited about the possibility of a Kefka superboss fight when this game was first announced (because why would they do Sephiroth again?), but alas.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man the game looks... off at 60 FPS.

Also, the Twilight Town Battle music owns. :colbert:

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

It does own.

Hollow Bastion is looking nice this time of year as well as an enjoyable gummi section!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I seriously hope the donut ship makes an appearance. It's too hilarious not to show off. I watched my then-fiancee (now wife) absolutely destroy every gummi mission in the game with it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
About the Puzzle Pieces/Missable stuff in this game, there is no real missable stuff in this game. Only things are the chests from Roxas's Twilight Town and the alternate prizes from Setzer, so don't worry about that.

Also it's good to see you use magic and liking it early on. Too used to other people only using Attack, but magic gets pretty strong in this game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Magic is incredibly useful. The Gummi Ship loving owns. Kingdom Hearts 2 is a god video game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On the topic of Setzer, he has scars in Final Fantasy because he got involved in gambling debt and airship accidents.

Why does he have scars in Kingdom Hearts? Is the Struggle that hardcore? :psyduck:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of Setzer, he has scars in Final Fantasy because he got involved in gambling debt and airship accidents.

Why does he have scars in Kingdom Hearts? Is the Struggle that hardcore? :psyduck:

Scrooge McDuck doesn't gently caress around when it comes to debt.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Boy, I didn't think school work would be this much of a mess but hey, what cha gonna do. Bright side is that I do have updates on the burner so we should be fiiiiine? But yea, back to our regularly scheduled Kingdom Hearts.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why Ping sucks so much, when Mulan's actually a pretty decent party member after losing the disguise.

I mean, I guess you could write it off as part of the story progression but that's a pretty thin excuse.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I don't know why Ping sucks so much, when Mulan's actually a pretty decent party member after losing the disguise.

I mean, I guess you could write it off as part of the story progression but that's a pretty thin excuse.

That's the only excuse I can think of. It also kind of sucks you rarely use the better Mulan unless you count the revisit but by then your regular party members are already much more useful with better limits and stuff for the new fight that you kind of just put her aside.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I can't identify the voices to names yet outside of GBH, but someone brought up those bosses being weird in the speedrun and "going outside of what they trap you in"? I don't know what they were talking about, in the speedrun those bosses are fairly standard, but I'm wondering if they meant this funny thing that can happen on Dark Thorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfozLkNZns

Also, Mushu actually was a pretty good summon in KH1, especially with EXP Zero thanks to damage storage. A main thing that holds him back is that you get him so late that you can only use him on like 2 story bosses. But when you do get to use him properly, he tears things to shreds.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Ventana posted:

Also, Mushu actually was a pretty good summon in KH1, especially with EXP Zero thanks to damage storage. A main thing that holds him back is that you get him so late that you can only use him on like 2 story bosses. But when you do get to use him properly, he tears things to shreds.

Thank god Squeenix can't remember to fix the little things in these ports. But yea, you get him so late most of the time I forgot I had him (along with nearly every other summon). I'm hoping to make up for it here since there's only 4 to pick from but who knows. I've been ignoring Chicken Little so that'll tell you something.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

I feel two videos per world will at least work out in the long run, with some exceptions here or there. Still, anything's possible especially with Final Mix's new content.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Last time I played this, I just handed the controller to my wife when the game required doing anything in the 100 Acre Wood.

Although I honesty forget how much the game actually forces you to do in that respect.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Did...that one commentator in the video like Terra's pants and not Sora's? :psyduck:

KieranWalker posted:

Last time I played this, I just handed the controller to my wife when the game required doing anything in the 100 Acre Wood.

Although I honesty forget how much the game actually forces you to do in that respect.

You're not forced to do 100 Acre wood in KH1 and you only have to do this part in KH2. It's worth it in KH1 since you get Cheer and Bambi and a Stop upgrade, though you don't get too much that's good in KH2 other than the Orichalcum + and the keyblade.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Life still keeping me busy but I finally found some time to do some editing. Just need to be more consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Another week of stuff means another double update. At the very least, we won't have to come back to either of these worlds in a future update. Well maybe not Timeless River.

• Locked thread