Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Confirming my pre-sign, glad I remembered. Time to get murdered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

While I have to admit that the Sunset Limited is aesthetically pleasing, I am disappointed that this engine not as majestic nor as efficient as a Diesel engine, the way of the future.

Nonsense, we need to make our trains run on Shine! It's environmentally friendly!

I... think? I mean, it's renewable, after all.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Is having the N0 flip be scum a thing that happens? I mean, I know I'm getting all setup-spec-y right out of the starting gates here, but having a Godfather as the first flip seems to imply another faction that has a kill, whether it's SK or another scum faction. Or a vigilante who's feeling especially murderous, I guess?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

I feel like I've seen it both ways, although much more often it's a townie dying N0. I don't remember a specific game to reference to check your theory out but I can try to go back through my votefinder history later and see if I'm remembering correctly.

It is real early for setup spec, though.

It is, but it really jumped out at me, and I like having something concrete to work with. In a vacuum I wouldn't even buy into my own theory too hard, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that flavor probably matters in this game, which is what makes it weird.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

swing and a miss

Can you please elaborate for my poor, tee-ball deficient brain? :saddowns:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Eight Dollars posted:

That's definitely :sterv:

I kiiiind of agree with this? Setup spec is good, but hats stuff is about a N0 flip that is just a flip. His response to was a bit awk too and twinged the gut.

I mean, I've got other stuff feeding into the setup spec, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to blare it all out immediately before I've seen anything else.

Also, reading shitposting or the lack thereof as an alignment tell seems pretty dumb to me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Eight Dollars posted:

That's fine, and the lack of shitposting is the least important thing imo, but you've only really discussed that setup spec sort of isolated from everything that's been going on. Do you have any thoughts about anybody else so far?

I think that Quid going "Hey guys, let me tell you my meta" is bad, but not something I want to leap to a lynch over.

I don't like Jeabus dodging the question about the N0 thing, and then when someone asks about that dodge he complains about being singled out. After that we get radio silence before he decides to announce "Alright, going to sleep now". Which, I mean, that last bit isn't inherently scummy, it just kind of stood out to me given what I'm already seeing.

I'm vaguely suspicious of Somberbrero, but I'm pretty sure that I'm *always* vaguely suspicious of Somberbrero, regardless of what he's doing, so I'm not giving that a lot of credence right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Quidthulhu posted:

There it is, the first post in D1 that I feel acts like it's offering content but in reality is floating ideas and then back tracking on them.

##vote Hatlord

I was asked what I thought about other people. Those are my thoughts.

Turns out I spend a lot of time trying to poke holes in my own reads, and I'm not particularly shy about sharing that. Every single game, somebody goes after me on this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

that's not what I'm going after you for, but you passed it up! hmmmmmmmmm

I mean, if you really want me to blare out the reasons you're wrong, I can, but it's information I think is more valuable if it's kept under wraps until at least D2.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

huh? are you talking to Hats? If he means it might be better to not go spilling all the town flavor he could be right, though. I still think it's weird that he saw that "many times over" death and thought, hmmm maybe it implies an especially murderous vigilante.

I hadn't even looked at that bit--it was the fact that the vig would have kicked the whole thing off unprompted, which is weird flavorwise. I'm going to shut up on the flavor stuff now, because Max is right that I shouldn't be dangling it.

For what it's worth, the fact that you're stopping to consider the consequences has pretty much put you in the town category as far as I'm concerned.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Quidthulhu posted:

I like Bif's case work, and while I think spending a lot of time talking about the flavor kill is a waste of time, there is enough oddness with this that I think she's on to something here.

Hats are you awkward new to scum, be honest

Not to get too far up analyzing my own meta, but I'm actually less awkward as scum because I feel less self-conscious about falling in with other peoples' leads; it's a very different set of calculations. I feel like I did pretty well in the Conquest of Qal, at least.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

I think it's possible scum received a sample town PM. I think Quid has been scummy so far, he's probably my ideal vote today.

I don't *think* that that's something Podima's done in the past. I know in Shine 3 there was a good fakeclaim that was made up from scratch, although it was kind of too late at that point.

Murmur Twin posted:

I think that Hats musing about multiple killing factions / why the N0 kill was scum is the scummiest thing about him, but it's nowhere near conclusive and other than that his play this game seems consistent with how he usually sounds.

I was kind of operating under the assumption that there were multiple town factions out there, because of how the original flavor post talked about different motivations behind what goes down on the train, and I was trying to suss that out a bit. I still feel confident saying there's multiple factions at play, though I don't know for certain if that's just 3P or not.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

ok i re-read the 8bux setup spec is good thing and i think it's even worse since it was being used to defend Lord o' Hats' terrible opening play

One of these days I'll figure out how to have a not-poo poo D1 :negative:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm a bit concerned now about the idea of different "motivation" factions, which Hats has belatedly brought up to defend his thought process:

I re-read the OP and I DON'T see any flavor about different motivations behind what goes down on the train. I wonder if Hats might be giving away too much of his extra knowledge as he tries to explain away his thought process. Hats, can you quote what you're talking about here?

Podima posted:

As the Sunset Limited rolled away from New Orleans, its passengers settled themselves into seats or knocked back a celebratory drink at the bar. None aboard had any clue what sort of chaos was about to unfold on this simple train journey, sparked by hatred, jealousy, greed, regret, and above all... the seductive power of Shine.

My faction is "Vengeance", I really don't think it's that far of a stretch to think there might be others to muddle Town/non-town readings.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

gif Probst posted:

hats has played more and is Not New

New, no, bad, yes.

gif Probst posted:

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

Why KB?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

Do we know they already had the info?

Nope!

Best guess right now is the Little Mac just did a dumbass anti-town thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

Yeah uh, which anti-town thing did he do?

I know I was going after him for the way he blew up at bif earlier, but if you all find him going "boy I was confused by my role PM" when many others already had, that's a bad reason.

Not the bif thing, or the confusion (I mean, I was in the same boat), but just sharing information that we don't *know* that the scum had seems pretty dumb to me. Anti-town is definitely overstating my case, and as has been pointed out it's possible that they *did* have it, but I just don't like it.

Although, now this has me running through scenarios, if scum *did* have it from the start, we're probably better off now than we were before it was out in the open.

Eight Dollars posted:

But how is that scummy versus just stupid? Where do you see the scumness of it all?

peramene posted:

ayy yo news flash, I am not at all looking for scum, it is day 1 and I am useless day 1 except for "policy votes" I guess

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

For real I don't understand how you people are able to make so many posts (all of which generally have *some* kind of content).I felt pretty active and checked the post counts and I still had less than 20 while there were a bunch above 50.

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote tpink - the only time Mafia has ever given me anxiety has been when I'm scum and the game is moving so fast that I'm afraid I'll screw up if I post. (recent example) This post reads like scum who is self-conscious about posting something that will get him cased.

Nah, I can understand where tpink's coming from. Coming back to a bunch of posts that you need to read to participate can feel like a big obligation, and it's not hard to let that build up. It's like not getting homework done, sort of. At least, that's how it's worked for me in the past.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Uh

I do bring up the scum faction thing later

Also my personal reaction to the ecco kill that made the vigilante thing stick out to me more

I wondered why Hats would think this death implied just one extra-murderous vig instead of many many angry vengeance-aligned townies.

Because for as much as I talked about the n0 kill, and about flavor in general, I managed to skip over the flavor text for the actual kill because I was so taken aback by the kill being on Scum. Because of that, I thought the scenario was more "there's a bunch of people who all hate the Chauvin de la Frenieres on the train, who don't exactly have it in them to commit outright murder, but there's also someone out there whose grudge goes further, and a bloodbath ensues as the townies start feeling opportunistic" than "the townies all got together and merked a dude without an inciting event to get things rolling".

Also, question I'd like to ask, though I doubt I'm getting an answer: Are there any town out there with an alignment other than "Vengeance"?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

Hats is saying things

jokephase is back, people

:negative:

This is pretty much the response I expected, yeah. Looks like we'll find out the slow way, then.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

He's just trying to explain away how he didn't see the "killed many times over" thing and wavering between wanting to say it was just an innocent slip-up ("I was just too taken aback by the n0 kill being scum!") and thinking that's not a good enough explanation.

And then he follows it up with alignment fishing to find out who might be in some other special faction, nice

Says the guy who reread the OP to look for a specific line and didn't find it. I missed that line because I missed it, and you've got the explanation for my thought process with the time with what information I had.

Bifauxnen posted:

I mean I don't know about you Hats, but when I think vengeance, I don't think it means "sit around being mad at somebody", you gotta take action

Just because I hate somebody doesn't mean I have the wherewithal to stab them to death.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

dude.

what are you doing

Having a meltdown, pretty much. Gonna step back for a reread.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This is maybe a little out of nowhere, but I took a look at gif Probst, remembering this post, referring to me:

gif Probst posted:

not interacting, not shitposting, doing setup spec feels like breadcrumbing to me for late game "hey i tried to figure things out early this is town"

There aren't a lot of posts, and most of them are pretty empty so this isn't a ton to analyze, but the next substantive thing posted is:

gif Probst posted:

i am home.

i dont like the small mack vote. i dont like a lot of the reasons for it. i dont think a person (re: eight dollar) asking a lot of questions on d1 is inherently scummy.

i think bringing up other games d1 for any kind of justification of player read is dumb and does not help people who were not participants of said game, they are forced to go back and read that poo poo which lets be real nobody has time for.

i still like where my vote is, i am also comfortable voting for peramene or king burgundy today. i don't read enough to vote for anybody else.

And I think there's a couple of things to unpack from it:

1) He disagrees with the Little Mac vote, but doesn't elaborate on it at all.

2) Given his reasoning against me is pretty much based on 'fake content', dismissing "is pretty much just asking questions" out of hand seems really weird.

3) That King Burgundy comes completely out of left field, and never gets elaborated on (until literally just now as I was writing this post). It's like pulling a name out of a hat.

gif Probst posted:

max you said you didnt lile my reasoning its pretty sound and consistent, and you were defending hats early on. Whats going on?mm

I don't think you've elaborated enough on a single case for 'consistent' reasoning.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

##vote gif probst

Bifauxnen posted:

you should eat your hat

No, don't.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

folks I have an idea

MMT are just going to keep doing this until they get a room, but all the sleeping cars on this train are full, so

let's make a room for them

THUNDERDOME Quid vs MMT who is with me?

Have thunder domes ever actually happened, I feel like I only ever see them called for and then everyone votes someone who isn't even in the proposed dome.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Put the scenario of doubt on the N0 flip? I mean, if you were accusing me of fake content, sure, I get where you'd be coming from, but what kind of doubt am I even sowing? I'm taking a detail and saying "Hey, there could be more that we can read into this". I don't see what established knowledge I'm undermining there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

TMMadman posted:

Max, I just looked over all your posts and I'm somewhat concerned that you might be scum. You've got a lot of posts, but basically none of them make any sort of concrete alignment call.

Can someone else confirm this for me? There are a couple of kind of wishy-washy calls, but it seems like Max is asking some questions but not really engaging with the responses.

I did a quick scan right now, and I will say that Max's posts are a lot shorter than I thought they were. I feel like the avatar has something to do with that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, I'm not feeling Max as scum. There aren't super in-depth reads there, but it feels like consistent thinking. The one long-ish post talking about TMM hinges on a point that I don't think is really supported by the chosen quotes, but that's not remotely vote-worthy to me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max posted:

Embrace the new size maximums of the forums.

It's not just the size, it's the actual avatar as well. It's classy. It leaves me with the impression that something mysterious and insightful was just said.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jeabus, I just want to say that I'm really appreciating your summary posts.

Also, given that Probst hasn't posted to much more on his weird reasoning against me, I'm going to switch to ##vote Bif for now, because that argument against me has started to devolve into laying the groundwork for why it'd be a good lynch even when I flip town, and that it'd be scummy to vote him tomorrow.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Looking forward to getting some lists in here.

Also, since you're here, Pod--does changing the voting method also change how fast the train is going in flavortext? It doesn't matter for literally anything but it seems vaguely like it might be the case and that'd be neat.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Lumpen posted:

Bah gawd that's LUMPEN'S music!

Hi friends I have read nothing yet please tell me what is relevant so far in the form of bullet-pointed links. Each player please give me up to 3 post-links that they consider the most damning and scumtellery or relevant to the gamestate, that nobody else linked to. I will read these first and then as I have time catch up on the whole game with the unique perspective tinged by those posts to guide my Scumdar.

Bif re-votes me because he "wants to find out if my setup spec is legit or not"

Bif says that the scum are lining him up for a vote d2 when I flip town

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

She, btw. I don't normally bother correcting but I may have confused you when mentioning my character before. I'm not a guy but my guy is a guy

Also lol at people trying to scrape up whatever they can off that "scum lining me up" post, it was a direct response to Birb asking "what I would do" if you were town, so that's what I'd expect to be doing

Ah, poo poo, sorry. I'm usually careful to avoid that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bifauxnen's Friendly Guide to Trainspotting

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Glowku, TPink, Pera, and TMM not voting at the moment.

I'm willing to switch to Pera but I'd like to hold a bit longer.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wow that's a hell of a swing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

14 minutes, and it doesn't look like we're going anywhere on Bif or TK.

##vote peramene

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Of course as I say it TPink starts picking up momentum. That's what I get for phoneposting.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

##vote tpink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

-2 now.

• Locked thread