Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren:DO NOT SPOIL. KEEP THINGS GERMANE TO WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE FOOTAGE THAT HAS BEEN POSTED. THANK YOU.:siren:

Harry Potter. You know him. He does the spells, and stars in beloved franchises such as Harry Potter.

Even if you're not a die-hard PotterphileTM, chances are you've seen at least one of his many movies or read one of his many books. And frankly, if you're in this nerd subforum and you haven't, I am impressed. The bottom line is that, young or old, we all enjoy this magical world of wands, potions and freaky magical candies. But there is darkness even in this Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The darkness I refer to is, of course, video games. Horrible ones, in my limited experience. Yes, I fondly recall the fever-dream version of Hogwarts from the first game, rendered on the PS1. From the asspulled architecture to the rhythm game spellcasting, I could go on and on about that game. That was long ago, however. I have in my possession one of its successors, which is...not much better.

Even trapped within the warded obsidian shell of my Playstation 2 console, I can feel its energy even now, for I am bound to it.

Having played a scant two hours of the game has caused me to prematurely age ten years. I have developed a heart murmur. The reasonable thing to do would be to stop playing. But I cannot. I MUST play.

But fear not, for I am nothing if not a very real and very clever wizard. By storing my gameplay experience and sharing it with others, I can split my burden, and so I have begun showing footage of my dark compulsion to my brother, Peanut Butler. By taking joy in it, by laughing at it, we can stave off the effects. Maybe even reverse them.

It still hurts us. Us two brothers, alone, shall not last. Our only hope is to diffuse this miasma across as many nerds as possible. You have to help, you have to shoulder this burden with us and allow the game into your eyes and ears. Let us live. Let us laugh.

Let us play...HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 24, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
That quote is apparently from the book itself.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Seems like the game cuts out a ton of plot and characterization. Which is actually probably fine, since that gets you to the actual game pretty quickly.

Also I deeply appreciate the Wizard People, Dear Reader names .:allears: Can't wait to see how the game mangles Hardcastle McCormick or Professor Meowmers!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
"Ed Vanders" :allears:

I actually bought a copy of this game while I was visiting family for Christmas one year, and contrary to my usual used-game buying habits, I actually played far enough to find a spot where the game crashed while it was still within the return period. I had to drive to a store about an hour away to get a replacement. I eventually beat it, and I think I beat the sequel as well, although that one took me a lot longer because it had some very frustrating parts. The only other game in the series I managed to beat is the Wii version of Order of the Phoenix, and even then, I missed a lot of stuff. I never bothered with any of the later games, although I was into the sports spinoff for a while.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I just love how this game has 4 different versions. PS1 PS2/GCN/XBOX, GBA, GBC it gets very confusing when you want to play the Harry Potter games even when just doing the console/pc versions.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nidoking posted:

"Ed Vanders" :allears:

I actually bought a copy of this game while I was visiting family for Christmas one year, and contrary to my usual used-game buying habits, I actually played far enough to find a spot where the game crashed while it was still within the return period. I had to drive to a store about an hour away to get a replacement. I eventually beat it, and I think I beat the sequel as well, although that one took me a lot longer because it had some very frustrating parts. The only other game in the series I managed to beat is the Wii version of Order of the Phoenix, and even then, I missed a lot of stuff. I never bothered with any of the later games, although I was into the sports spinoff for a while.

When you say sequel, do you mean the PS2 title that preceded this game by a year?

Also, I found this while doing research for the LP:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Lizard Wizard posted:

When you say sequel, do you mean the PS2 title that preceded this game by a year?

That sounds like the one. It's the game of the sequel of the book/movie this game is based on and is pretty much the same game but with slightly more complicated mechanics, so I'm calling it a sequel regardless of the actual release dates.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Solumin posted:

Seems like the game cuts out a ton of plot and characterization. Which is actually probably fine, since that gets you to the actual game pretty quickly.

Also I deeply appreciate the Wizard People, Dear Reader names .:allears: Can't wait to see how the game mangles Hardcastle McCormick or Professor Meowmers!

Oh crap, spoiler alert, I forgot she was called Professor Meowmers in the One True Canon, will immediately rectify upon the next recording session

I dont know anything about Harry Potter aside from cultural osmosis stuff, but as a Star Trek guy its nice to know that other beloved nerd universes also have terrible and disappointing games

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
This game isn't that bad :( In fact a lot of the early HP games range from below average to just average, it's the later ones that were clear, 100% don't-care-shovel-ware.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ephraim225 posted:

This game isn't that bad :( In fact a lot of the early HP games range from below average to just average, it's the later ones that were clear, 100% don't-care-shovel-ware.

When you say "from below average to just average", that just sounds like a sugar-coated way of saying "varying degrees of bad" to me, much like the myriad varieties of bean available in this game.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 24, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

When you say "from below average to just average", that just sounds like a sugar-coated way of saying "varying degrees of bad" to me, much like the myriad varieties of bean available in this game.

Maybe I chose the wrong words, then. I'll put it another way: HP games back then were typically modest Legend of Zelda clones. Not good enough to compare to Zelda, not bad enough to be as infamous as some of EA's worst stuff. The later ones eventually became dime-a-dozen cover-based shooters.

If nothing else, the music is amazing.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm an obnoxious nerd snob; there are more video games than I can possibly play in one lifetime so anything that doesn't wow me with how good it is (or how bad it is) doesn't seem worth playing imo

Aside from, of course, a sorcerer's curse driving my brother to delve deeper into mediocrity than one should be sanely willing to do

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The GBC rpgs (that you won't be playing, I think) were good. Goblet of Fire (GC) in co-op was fun 10 years ago

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I remember playing a PC version of the first game. It wasn't really good but still beats the pants off this game with a less faithful plot and jankier graphics. The faces of Harry and everyone else have some kinda uncanny valley thing going on and I pine for the low poly models of yesteryear that made the best of it instead of trying to pretend they could match the look of the actors exactly.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The fact you missed things (including at least one chest) in the room with the imps and cages makes me irrationally upset.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

you're in good company; this entire game makes me irrationally upset

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

serefin99 posted:

The fact you missed things (including at least one chest) in the room with the imps and cages makes me irrationally upset.

On the one hand I'm very sorry, but on the other I'm sure there was nothing of consequence in that chest.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
flipendo

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:agreed:

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

On the one hand I'm very sorry, but on the other I'm sure there was nothing of consequence in that chest.

Nothing of consequence? What the gently caress is wrong with you, there could have been beans!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, you could have gotten tripe! Or ear wax! Or liver! Or tripe!

... they're not even trying with the "every flavor" thing, are they?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Quicksilver6 posted:

Yeah, you could have gotten tripe! Or ear wax! Or liver! Or tripe!

... they're not even trying with the "every flavor" thing, are they?

Can't possibly be 'every' flavour, since of course they'll have neglected an oft-overlooked one: boot to the head.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I honestly loved the PS2 Harry Potter games. Having the free run of exploring the castle to find secrets was right up my alley.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tenebrais posted:

I honestly loved the PS2 Harry Potter games. Having the free run of exploring the castle to find secrets was right up my alley.

I remember one HP game that just had shitloads of secrets, little interactions and hidden places.
I spent so much time on that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I've been trying to play the two handheld versions of SS. The GBC one I really am having trouble staying interested in when there is almost no indicator of where anything is and with everything being very maze like. The GBA one is just annoying where if you fall down a pit in a puzzle dungeon, time to satrt the whole thing over :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Can't possibly be 'every' flavour, since of course they'll have neglected an oft-overlooked one: boot to the head.

:golfclap:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

mateo360 posted:

So I've been trying to play the two handheld versions of SS. The GBC one I really am having trouble staying interested in when there is almost no indicator of where anything is and with everything being very maze like.

To say nothing of the fact it's essentially a JRPG.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Aerdan posted:

Do they have a human flavor?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

White Coke posted:

Do they have a human flavor?

Yes, but its taste varies from person to person.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Quicksilver6 posted:

Yes, but its taste varies from person to person.

I could go for a Slurm.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

In the days before smartphones the GBA Prisoner of Azkaban RPG had a Bejeweled-like mini game that consumed my family like a tornado consumes trailer parks. Arguments were had over who could play this mini game on car rides. Wizard Crackers nearly destroyed my life.

The game itself was pretty decent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I remember one HP game that just had shitloads of secrets, little interactions and hidden places.
I spent so much time on that.

Order of the Phoenix? That one's my favourite. Moaning Myrtle is the guardian of the secret/collectibles/achievements room, and she keeps being hilariously coy when you get enough points to unlock more poo poo. "There's something new in our ~secret room~ Harry :wink:"

Also, the Folio Bruti should have been replaced in the later games with the Monster Book of Monsters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BioEnchanted posted:

Order of the Phoenix? That one's my favourite. Moaning Myrtle is the guardian of the secret/collectibles/achievements room, and she keeps being hilariously coy when you get enough points to unlock more poo poo. "There's something new in our ~secret room~ Harry :wink:"

Also, the Folio Bruti should have been replaced in the later games with the Monster Book of Monsters.

I think it was a game for one of the first two books, and on either PS1/PS2. definitely a cartoony style as well.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I want to try and get the console HPs to play though last time I was at my used game store they only had half-blood prince on PS2

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

are there any weird HP spinoff/side games people wanna see a short look at? idk if I have the patience to play through more than a few hours of, say, the GBC RPG, but it could be fun for a lil goof

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Peanut Butler posted:

are there any weird HP spinoff/side games people wanna see a short look at? idk if I have the patience to play through more than a few hours of, say, the GBC RPG, but it could be fun for a lil goof

wizard sports

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Don't they have just the one sport?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh yeah lizard brother and I talked about playing that one together next time I'm in town

White Coke posted:

wizard poker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

White Coke posted:

They also have gnome tossing

• Locked thread