Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'll have to flesh this out a bit, but the big news is that Tech3 Yamaha is done in MotoGP as of 2019. They will continue in Moto2 and Moto3, and are hinting at being a satellite for another manufacturer. Yamaha has not released if they plan on having a satellite team at all.

Marc Marquez kicked everyone's rear end over the testing, and Rossi/Vinales have been hunting for anything to be competitive.

On the WSBK side it is actually opening weekend at Phillip Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
First up is WSBK, the sometimes forgotten "little sibling" of motoGP.

From both the winter testing and the free practice sessions, it looks like they've finally changed enough rules to bunch up the group a bit. We'll find out about race pace and what not tomorrow.

Technical Regulations

· REV LIMIT
The balancing system using air restrictors has been replaced with a rev limiting system. The rev limit can be altered at various points throughout the season and applies to each individual manufacturer. The current is set to 3.3% above the stock limiter.

· CONCESSIONS
A concession points system will be introduced to restrict engine development of the fastest machines. At certain stages in the season teams that have achieved fewer concession points will be allowed to introduce updated concession parts.

As a secondary benefit, the private teams will get access to cost capped engine parts to help them reach performance levels similar to the factory supported teams.

· FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSIONS AND APPROVED ENGINE PARTS
Price caps and approval process have been applied to several key frame, suspension and engine parts. These are called approved parts. This process ensures access and availability to all parts for all teams along with controlled pricing.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 23, 2018

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Skreemer posted:

I'll have to flesh this out a bit, but the big news is that Tech3 Yamaha is done in MotoGP as of 2019. They will continue in Moto2 and Moto3, and are hinting at being a satellite for another manufacturer. Yamaha has not released if they plan on having a satellite team at all.

Marc Marquez kicked everyone's rear end over the testing, and Rossi/Vinales have been hunting for anything to be competitive.

On the WSBK side it is actually opening weekend at Phillip Island.

The Twitter rumor mill is indicating Tech 3 in MotoGP with KTM and Rossi's VR46 team taking over the Yamaha satellite bikes. The former makes sense, the last everyone's been expecting since Vale started his own team in the lower classes.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The Twitter rumor mill is indicating Tech 3 in MotoGP with KTM and Rossi's VR46 team taking over the Yamaha satellite bikes. The former makes sense, the last everyone's been expecting since Vale started his own team in the lower classes.

It'll also give Vale something to do when he retires. We already know he can run marketing like nothing else, look at his popularity even outside of Italy. He's had a few years for his teams to run in the lower classes, and while not doing great, they look really good. Vales does take chances and is known to ride in sketchy circumstances so I don't thing he can kick Capirossi out of the safety director position in the MotoGP organization.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of sketchy conditions, it'll be interesting to see the response to a wet qatar. :10bux: says Lorenzo will scream no regardless of what anyone else says.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And double post because crap in my hat the second sbk race is gonna be flag to flag thanks to the tires. Pirelli taking a page out of Bridgestone's book.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I thought the second race in particular was pretty awesome.

And guess who didn't win either race!?

I imagine that if you didn't want the races spoiled you wouldn't open this thread but w/e

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm assuming this is the new thread for 2018 Motorcycle Mayhem Motorsport Mania Racing Seasons?!

I missed the 1st WSBK race but Race 2 was loving amazing. Everyone should give it a go. Even the WSSP race prior to it wasn't bad.

I mean... I just love Philip Island.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Had a good chuckle at the commentators spazzing out going "The new rules are working guys!!1" when literally every year has an awesome opening round because PI and then a tedious uninteresting season because normal tracks.

Also I want to ride Melandri's bike my god.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Also I want to ride Melandri's bike my god.

Because speed wobbles are fun every time you try to pin the throttle.

The first "official" Kalex on track 765 bike:
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/02/28/successful-first-rollout-for-the-2019-kalex-triumph-machine/250625

Some Triumph footage of motor testing for those that haven't seen/heard it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprJSjs-R4s

There's been videos of different configs with the new motor for months though.

Anyone have thoughts on the new MotoE category? I know they've been running them at the Isle of Man for a few years now.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 2, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like they'd be a little tedious at some of the faster tracks, afaik top speed will be less than moto3 and they'll be doing like 10-15 laps tops.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's probably going to be bad if not worse than Formula E so, yeah.

Also, yeah, Melandri on the straight just wobbling like crazy was all sorts of :stare:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

a tedious uninteresting season

Let me introduce you to Formula 1.

Wirth1000 posted:

Also, yeah, Melandri on the straight just wobbling like crazy was all sorts of :stare:

He is crazy and I am INTO IT

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Tech3 has gone the way everyone sorta expected them to and went to KTM.
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/02/26/ktm-and-tech-3-to-cooperate-in-motogp-from-2019/250544

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
As a big fan of Tech 3, KTM, and Zarco..... this fuckin' owns!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm a little worried that after spending two years trying to zero in on lorenzo's style he'll have a hard time switching to a more ducati-like machine. But on the other hand, making hard things look laughably easy are part of what make him zarco...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
During the Qatar practice session they had a call in interview with the head of Tech3, and it was mentioned that they want to be treated like a factory team. Yamaha wouldn't commit to that level of support and when they were shopping around they let it be known they wanted full support. One of the big mentions was that Zarco showed more than enough to deserve the shot at a factory ride, and they were highly disappointed that the results of the last few years didn't sway Yamaha into either more backing of Tech3, or getting Zarco onto one of the factory M1s.

Rossi has stated he will be around for two more years and barring injury, and figuring out the bike issues, I can certainly see him pulling rabbits out of hats come race day for the next two years easy. Vinales isn't quite panning out like they had hoped, but I think they will stick with him until the end of his contract.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He also got told that the moment vr46 want a team in gp, t3 are getting the boot so not exactly a lot of incentive to stick around. Also doesn't make them an attractive option for other teams cause they know going into it that they're on a timer until Rossi calls it quits.

Yamaha management effectively wanted to have their cake and eat it and it's backfiring amusingly.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ducati-gp18-still-not-natural-lorenzo-1011443/

quote:

Jorge Lorenzo said that the Ducati Desmosedici GP18 still "doesn't feel natural" following the conclusion of the final MotoGP pre-season test at Qatar.

Lorenzo fleecing Ducati while Dovi leads the charge yet again.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

All this talk of lorenzo somehow doing something bad and the dude has three championships. He’s not a bad rider but it doesn’t always work out. If you’re Ducati I very much understand what they did.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Could you imagine how it would have been perceived if Rossi went to Ducati, put in the performance he did, but Hayden won six races and was challenging the championship?

Lorenzo is fine, but he does deserve some amount of criticism, especially since Ducati did help and cater the bike to him while the other side of the garage was fighting for a title.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Skreemer posted:

Rossi has stated he will be around for two more years and barring injury, and figuring out the bike issues, I can certainly see him pulling rabbits out of hats come race day for the next two years easy. Vinales isn't quite panning out like they had hoped, but I think they will stick with him until the end of his contract.

Vinales won 3 races on his first season with Yamaha, he's not going anywhere. It was more that Yamaha lost the plot in the 2nd half of the season. Didn't Michelin make another major tire change that was at least somewhat to blame?

Who knows how much development Ducati is committing to Lorenzo. You have to figure that an Italian rider doing well on an Italian brand is a much bigger thing for Ducati. Gotta think that Lorenzo's job is in serious danger unless he steps it up, or maybe he's willing to take a massive pay cut?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yamaha and a few riders definitely got blindsided by the mid season carcass change, Yamaha's bike just looks like it's a lot more sensitive to tyre stuff in general. They don't seem to have figured out how to broaden the tyre operating window the way Ducati have.

Vinales is a whiny bitch though. He comes across as the most finicky, most easily discouraged rider on the grid. An Uber Lorenzo of sorts.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
First MotoGP race of the season this weekend With Ducati all over the top of the time sheets and Suzuki right in the mix, then the Hondas and all of the Yamahas seem to be stuck in the same rut.
Obviously it's just the FP1/2 times and they don't mean too much, but makes and interesting prelude.

Simon Crafar got to take a few laps on GP race tires with a new "E" bike:
http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2018/03/16/how-fast-is-the-new-motoe-bike-at-losail/252298

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Zarco gets pole.

Marquez, Petrucci, Crutchlow, Dovi, Rins, Pedrosa, Rossi, Lorenzo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That was loving incredible from Zarco holy poo poo

New pole record for Losail on an old rear end Yamaha

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was an insane lap, the man's a Jedi master. And with every trick he pulls out of his rear end, the factory Yamahas look ever more foolish. It also shows the Yamaha is actually a lot less easy to get the maximum from than people think; it's a lot more approachable than the red and orange bikes, but you still need to be able to Lorenzo it up to get laptimes comparable to seasoned riders on other bikes.

I think the most impressive thing is that we've come so far with tyre technology, that the record set on a Yamaha ridden by a time attack genius on custom built 3-lap qualifiers and tailor made tcs has been broken by three different bikes on 'regular' tyres, all with generic electronic aids, one of whom is likely to be able to do race distance on those same tyres.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress we went from Dylan Gray to Mr. Slow Mumbles.

E: uh-huh, Matt Birt is doing the parc ferme interview in Moto2 instead of Mumbles McHelpme.

E2: nm, that's because he's riding the e-bike again. He still blows at interviewing and talking to people.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 18, 2018

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Angryboot posted:

Holy gently caress we went from Dylan Gray to Mr. Slow Mumbles.

E: uh-huh, Matt Birt is doing the parc ferme interview in Moto2 instead of Mumbles McHelpme.

E2: nm, that's because he's riding the e-bike again. He still blows at interviewing and talking to people.

Crafar may be a heck of guy, but a commentator/interviewer he is not. THough the rest of the team isn't bothering me thankfully.

Anyone watch the Moto2 race? Alex Marquez had his rear brake lock up on him for 1/2 to 3/4 of a lap and still finished third. Bagnaia was on freaking rails, good try by Baldassarri to get him in the last sector.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'm surprised Alex got that to the finish, that rear brake looked completely done. Did he just overcook it?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Guys.... guys..... MotoGP loving owns holy poo poo

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
drat it, too bad for Zarco. Holy poo poo the grunt of the Ducati down the straight.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I really hope Ducati has their poo poo sorted for counter clockwise circuits cause if they do this year is gonna be insane.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm surprised Alex got that to the finish, that rear brake looked completely done. Did he just overcook it?

I don't think it was on him. The rear brake just got stuck on its own.

Tense motogp race for sure. Holy crap.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Disappointed for Zarco but holy gently caress piss

I love Rossi so much. I love Dovi. Marquez is so good. What a podium.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I haven’t followed MotoGP much in the past, were Dovi, Marquez and Rossi really slower than Zarco for 75% of the race? It looked like they could have passed him earlier, did they hold back on purpose?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
It looked like they all conserving their tires and Zarco just burnt his out trying run at the front. Dovi wasn't too aggressive until the end despite having a really awful start so he definitely was just saving his tires.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Is there a way to watch MotoGP on the internet? And, is there a free way to do same?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If Zarco Dovi or Rossi don't win the championship this year I'm gonna be upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Is there a way to watch MotoGP on the internet? And, is there a free way to do same?

Yes and yes. Motogp.com has a feed. I know of a way to watch it free but it ain't legal. My username ar gmail, send a note if you really want it.