Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
So it's gonna be two bad teams in the round of 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Alexeythegreat posted:

So it's gonna be two bad teams in the round of 16

It'll be a lot more than that by the end of the week

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i really hope cherchesov reverts back to smolov up front, he looked pretty good on the ball today and was excellent against spain in that last friendly when they played basically a very similar starting squad to what they have on the field now

also, LOL smolnikov, if someone was going to regress back to the mean on this team, it's so typical it was him

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 25, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Guardian has an article with some nice :ussr: quotes

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/26/fairytale-over-russian-fans-uruguay-defeat

quote:

And the Russians knew the script. “I knew this was going to happen when we came up against a real opponent,” said Ilya Kabanov, 19, a university student. “It was a bit like a fairytale. The fairytale is over.”

“Run!” screamed one man before delivering an unprintable torrent of abuse at Stanislav Cherchesov’s side. It did not help. Russia lost 3-0 and had Igor Smolnikov sent off. “We have once again seen the Russian team we knew before the World Cup: toothless, powerless, good for nothing,” wrote Alexey Pushkov, a lawmaker who usually directs his venom at the west.

quote:

But this was a decidedly Russian affair, a steady march toward defeat that should have seemed so obvious that it is a wonder why anyone dared to hope at all.

“The main thing we forgot is that this is Russia,” said Roman Krasinsky, 18, smoking behind one of the party tents out at the back.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
hopefully this ends the "akinfeev is bad" narrarive

mario fernandes was man of the match imho

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
MOTM:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

vivisectvnv posted:

hopefully this ends the "akinfeev is bad" narrarive

mario fernandes was man of the match imho

Advanced stats have been looked up in light of today's events by the internet and it seems that Akinfeev has never lost a single penalty shoot-out

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Russia's fitness coach is a Spaniard

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
One of the worst games of the tournament so far but that was an admirable defensive performance from Russia. The draw is as easy as you could wish for so Russia could even make that ridiculous semifinal target (Croatia should be leagues too good for them tho).

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
You got unlucky with Croatia. As much as I have faith in Cherchesov and wish Sborna all the best, I doubt Russia will progress any further. I could see you overcoming Denmark, because, frankly, they're a poo poo team that got lucky. Croatia isn't poo poo, and I feel they had the bad game they were due just now.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

my mom is not pleased with the matchup

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
What's the roster like before the QF? Any injuries or suspensions?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alexeythegreat posted:

Russia's fitness coach is a Spaniard
lol of course he is

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

i am pretty sure there are no suspensions, but zhirkov and dzagoev will both be probably unavailable, although dzagoev i believe is very close

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

The WC is over for Zhirkov, but Dzagoev is allegedly ready to play. No suspensions

E: beaten

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Nice architecture, good museums, cool sights to see, pedestrian-friendly, cheap as hell if you get paid in a proper currency

This is pretty much a resurrect, but how in the hell is St. Petersburg particularly pedestrian friendly? When I was there I always felt like the cars were aiming for me every time I crossed the street, and the only reliable time to cross was when there was a traffic jam, not even designated crossings and red lights felt like they kept you safe.

Also add the traffic police constantly trying to see and take your "dokumenty", though I wisely didn't carry them with me as I had been warned this was basically just a hoax in order to shake down foreigners for money.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I hope Smolov's career ends today

That will be all

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
You did well, nothing to be ashamed of. I'm amazed what Cherchesov was able to do with this team. It also made me sad, we'll never see him at Legia again.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

bottom line is, Russia should never ever play a major international sports quarterfinal in Sochi again

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I wonder what percentage of people think that the Russians are still doping. They have done extremely well for the absolute worst ranked team coming into the World Cup. Suspiciously well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
100% doping but you can't dope through PKs.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
suka blyat :cry:

also, just gently caress off with all this doping bullshit, watch the loving games

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Snipee posted:

I wonder what percentage of people think that the Russians are still doping. They have done extremely well for the absolute worst ranked team coming into the World Cup. Suspiciously well.

They're the host nation so they haven't been playing in qualifiers for like 2 years. You get fewer points for friendlies so that's brought their rankings down.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Snipee posted:

i too give weight to the FIFA ranking system

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vivisectvnv posted:

also, just gently caress off with all this doping bullshit, watch the loving games

yeah i did it was just more evidence of it lol

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

vivisectvnv posted:

they will never feature in a fifa world cup again because theyre juice peddling wastemen lmao

just lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

emjayo posted:

they will never feature in a fifa world cup again because theyre juice peddling wastemen lmao

just lmao

The isn't the Spain thread op

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

The isn't the Spain thread op

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
What are the chances Akinfeev can cash in on his performance/get a transfer to a good team?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

twerking on the railroad posted:

What are the chances Akinfeev can cash in on his performance/get a transfer to a good team?

He won't leave Russia.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That ship sailed almost 15 years ago when he was considered one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Shrapnig posted:

That ship sailed almost 15 years ago when he was considered one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

Ship sailed at age 17? That's rough.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Very low, he's committed to CSKA

Transfer rumors are so far limited to Dzyuba, Golovin and Kutepov

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i really hope this runs spurs more emphasis on domestic youth development

also, was really happy dzagoev could come away with those two memorable moment, i hope he has one more tournament left in him before he completely breaks down

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

vivisectvnv posted:

i really hope this runs spurs more emphasis on domestic youth development

not in our lifetimes lmao

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/07/09/5b43992d468aebee288b456f.html - Russian team doctor admits World Cup ammonia use... but denies doping

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mean Bean Machine posted:

[url="https:////http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/07/09/5b43992d468aebee288b456f.html"]Russian team doctor admits World Cup ammonia use... but denies doping[/url]

Good job.

http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/07/09/5b43992d468aebee288b456f.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Mean Bean Machine posted:

http://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2018/07/09/5b43992d468aebee288b456f.html - Russian team doctor admits World Cup ammonia use... but denies doping

this is incredibly common in hockey, all leagues and levels

hell if you have a proper medkit at home, you will probably have a seal prepackaged version of that

• Locked thread