Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Welcome to the Senegal thread brought to you by CadillacTM!

History:

Senegal have been to the World Cup only once before, in 2002, when they reached the quarter-final before losing to eventual 3rd-place team Turkey 1-0 in extra time.

Qualification:

Senegal qualified in the multi-round African process. They entered in the second round, where they beat Madagascar in a playoff to advance to the third round:

In the third round, Senegal went undefeated in their group to qualify for the World Cup:

The Squad:

Goalkeepers: #1, Abdoulaye Diallo (age 26, 16 caps, Rennes [France]); #16, Khadim N'Diaye (age 33, 25 caps, Horoya [Guinea]); #23, Alfred Gomis (age 24, 1 cap, SPAL [Italy]).

Defenders: #2, Kara Mbodji (age 28, 46 caps, 5 goals, Anderlecht [Belgium]); #3, Kalidou Koulibaly (age 26, 24 caps, Napoli [Italy]); #4, Saliou Ciss (age 28, 18 caps, Valenciennes [France]); #6, Salif Sane (age 27, 20 caps, Hannover 96 [Germany]); #12, Youssouf Sabaly (age 25, 3 caps, Bordeaux [France]); #21, Lamine Gassama (age 28, 35 caps, Alanyaspor [Turkey]; #22, Moussa Wague (age 19, 9 caps, Eupen [Belgium]).

Midfielders: #5, Idrissa Gueye (age 28, 59 caps, 1 goal, Everton [England]); #8, Cheikhou Kouyate (captain, age 28, 47 caps, 2 goals, West Ham [England]); #11, Cheikh N'Doye (age 32, 24 caps, 3 goals, Birmingham [England]); #13, Alfred N'Diaye (age 28, 19 caps, Wolves [England]); #17, Badou Ndiaye (age 27, 18 caps, 1 goal, Stoke [England]).

Forwards: #7, Moussa Sow (age 32, 50 caps, 18 goals, Bursaspor [Turkey]); #9, Mame Biram Diouf (age 30, 47 caps, 10 goals, Stoke [England]); #10, Sadio Mane (age 26, 51 caps, 14 goals, Liverpool [England]); #14, Moussa Konate (age 25, 27 caps, 9 goals, Amiens [France]); #15, Diafra Sakho (age 28, 10 caps, 3 goals, Rennes [France]); #18, Ismaila Sarr (age 20, 14 caps, 2 goals, Rennes [France]); #19, M'Baye Niang (age 23, 5 caps, Torino [Italy]); #20, Keita Balde (age 23, 17 caps, 3 goals, Monaco [France]).

The Manager:

Senegal's manager is Aliou Cisse (right), a former defensive midfielder who played for some teams in Europe including PSG, Birmingham, and Portsmouth. He was their caretaker manager briefly in 2012, then managed the U23 squad from 2013-15 before becoming the national team manager in 2015. Under him they reached the quarter-finals of the African Cup of Nations last year, a big improvement over their group stage exit in 2015.

Okay that's great but who are the star players??

Kalidou Koulibaly is a star central defender. He made 45 appearances in all competitions for Napoli last season and scored 5 goals, and has reportedly been attracting attention from a number of English clubs over the last year, including Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea. If Senegal do well he could earn himself a big-money move and payday.

Idrissa Gueye, Everton's resident defensive midfielder, is actually pretty good despite Everton not having a great season. He's one of the Premier League's top tacklers and you can expect him to put in a defensive shift for Senegal.

Cheikhou Kouyate, the team captain, plays for West Ham and scored their first-ever goal at the Olympic Stadium. I haven't watched West Ham much this past season but I think they actually play Kouyate as a defender. I watched a youtube and he seemed decent, defensively solid, tall and fast. I'm sure one of our resident West Ham fans could tell us more.

Moussa Sow is one of the squad's most experienced players and its top goalscorer. He's been bouncing back and forth between Turkey and the UAE for a few years, but apparently he's so good at scoring bicycle kicks that Fenerbahce started selling upside down versions of his kit. You can see one of those bicycle kicks here edited in a way so that you can't actually tell what's happening for most of the video.

Aw hell yeah here he is, the man himself Sadio Mane. Scored 20 goals for Liverpool last year and made the Champions League final. Once literally decapitated Brazilian goalkeeper Ederson. A very talented winger but he can be selfish and loves to shoot when he should really pass the ball.

In short, Senegal have some good players and could be fun to watch, but it's anyone's guess how far they'll get because none of these players has ever been to a World Cup before. The last time Senegal even qualified, Sadio Mane was only 10 years old!

The Group:

Senegal have been drawn into Group H alongside Poland, Colombia, and Japan. This is one of the easier groups and Senegal could definitely make it out of the group stage if they play to their potential.

Matches:

Poland: Tuesday, June 19
Japan: Sunday, June 24
Colombia: Thursday, June 28

Most importantly:

Senegal have a cool crest and nickname so come on and support Les Lions de la Téranga as they get racismed against by a bunch of shirtless Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Senegal seems like a cool team with some good players, and I will be supporting them this upcoming 2018 Coca Cola FIFA World Cup

also lol at that group

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I had no idea that Niang switched to Senegal from France. Good for him I guess.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Deschamps would have never picked him for France.

There's a surprising amount of quality in that squad, but Senegal has pulled off some major upsets before, so anything's possible.

Also, I can't believe Moussa Sow is only 32.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Players who I know nothing about but who the Guardian says are good:

Kara Mbodji
Youssouf Sabaly
Salif Sane
Keita Balde
Ismaila Sarr

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jason Sextro posted:

Deschamps would have never picked him for France.

I mean nobody would have because he's not very good.

e: Keita Balde is good but he was better last year when he played for Lazio

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Kouyate has had the worst season of any West Ham player in what was a bad season for almost everyone. I think he's played most of the season with a busted wrist though because we don't have any other midfielders, so idk if that played into his form

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
I didn’t realize how good the spine was in this team, seems like they could manage a deep run.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There a few players I heard of and, Japan and Poland lol

I like this team, maybe?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
great to see south africa continuing to build on the legacy of wc 2010 by finishing below cape verde at the bottom of their qualifying group

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

great to see south africa continuing to build on the legacy of wc 2010 by finishing below cape verde at the bottom of their qualifying group

if you look at the matches cape verde lost every game except they won both against south africa lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that midfield and attack is real good

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Seems like Senegal are insanely good and now is the time for you (yes you, the poster reading this right now) to get on the bandwagon before everyone else does.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Theyre great op

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vyelkin posted:

Seems like Senegal are insanely good and now is the time for you (yes you, the poster reading this right now) to get on the bandwagon before everyone else does.

i have many connections to senegal, such as my middle school german teacher and an uncle i've never met

allez les lions

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
i was the first person to jump on this bandwagon and im very happy about my decision

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Senegal are a second rate African team after the lords own team, Morocco 🇲🇦

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Senegal are a second rate African team after the lords own team, Morocco 🇲🇦

And yet curiously Morocco have zero points and zero goals while Senegal have three points and two goals :thunk:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

vyelkin posted:

And yet curiously Morocco have zero points and zero goals while Senegal have three points and two goals :thunk:

Morocco did technically score a goal

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Ok that’s cool and all but don’t ever comment on my status telling me I am wrong everrrrr again. I didn’t ask you did I? Answer : NO!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Senegal are good lads who mean well and I hope they win the Wereld Cup

https://twitter.com/worldcup18info/status/1009110222592528386?s=21

https://twitter.com/ya_habibii/status/1009144772571824129?s=21

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Officially on the Senegal train

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Officially on the Senegal train

Bring back your old av

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

quote:

It can be cliché to say that soccer is the great cultural bridge, but sometimes clichés are so simple because they are true. The places where I found the most profound sense of kinship were the pickup games on Dakar’s beaches and in Kédougou’s dusty fields. In each game, players would pretend to be stars from the country’s national team. Because I was there following the 2008 election, and because of my lighter complexion, whenever I scored, people on the field would shout, “Nice goal, Obama!”

At the time, the memory of Senegal’s improbable run to the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup—the first time that they appeared in the tournament—was still fresh across the country, even six years later. Senegalese fans revelled in the fact that in their first-ever match they had defeated France, the country that had colonized them until 1959, with a historic 1–0 victory. The match is the stuff of legend; most people in the country could tell you exactly where they were when Papa Bouba Diop scored the game’s lone goal. It took the Lions of Teranga sixteen years to make it back to the tournament, but, on Tuesday, in their opening match against Poland, they added another chapter to their fabled World Cup story.

https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-scene/replay/senegal-dances-again-in-the-world-cup

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thank you Niang for proving the Polish stereotypes true

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Thank you Niang for proving the Polish stereotypes true

why did the polish submarine sink?
because Wojciech Szczęsny left the door open

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

why did the polish submarine sink?
because Wojciech Szczęsny left the door open

It was a screen door, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway!!!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Senegalese fans picked up trash after the match, yet they curiously left the Polish team on the field.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
you leave compost on the grass op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

a real chump posted:

you leave compost on the grass op

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Nice!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
im ready

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Agreed.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

senegoal

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Senegal boxing team pretty good

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Senegal team status: continues to own

https://twitter.com/FutbolsaCountry/status/1010635013463904257

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
BBC Africa have done an article on senegals manager

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44642387

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sad to see our brave Senegal lions go home early when they deserved to win the entire World Cup for the joy and spirit of celebration and clean stadiums that they brought to this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
f

• Locked thread