Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Summer and Winter are weaker than Spring and Fall, p much every time.

Winter had Antarctica and Yuru Camp :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The shows publishers are most banking on generally get fall or spring slots, though there's so much good anime that a lot of really good stuff ends up in winter or spring slots. In any case you never really know if an anime is gonna be good until it starts airing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i feel like Winter had a lot of strong stuff this year, Devilman, Pop Team Epic, Yurucamp, A Place Further Than The Universe etc. I didn't even watch all those and I still felt winded by Spring and didnt watch anything past three episodes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Winter was definitely heavier on prestige stuff than last season was/this season seems set to.

Also, in Fall news, Bloom Into You announced its lead VAs today.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1011170578714132480

I'm quite happy with these picks, both been really good before.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yoko kanno got invited to the academy, the people who vote on the oscars

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

yoko kanno got invited to the academy, the people who vote on the oscars

Oh that's cool!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
No good fantasy shows this round.

Well at least we get another Attack on Titan.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a little bummed that there's no new food anime this season

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm a little bummed that there's no new food anime this season

You've learned everything food anime has to teach. Now you must make your own.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Winter was definitely heavier on prestige stuff than last season was/this season seems set to.

Spring was pretty good, looking back. Megalobox and Hinamatsuri alone would be enough to make it worth watching, and I had about half a dozen other things in the list most weeks. More action oriented than winter, but still very good.

Don't see as much this time out, but I could be wrong.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

I have taken this path. Food wars has been a legitimate inspiration to me! No one's taken off their clothes in ecstacy yet, but some people have gone back for thirds, so it seems like it's working ok.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Hakumei & Mikochi

Its anime was really good tho

It was fun to re experience it in motion but the manga's just, so exceptional from an art perspective (not even relative to the anime) and has stuff that was cut out or felt better than in the anime. Not to say the anime wasn't good just that it's an incredibly high bar to pass.

AnacondaHL posted:

Disagree; after just a few chapters of Chio I knew a ton of value could be added by adding motion, and knowing an anime was coming I just stopped reading. I mean it's effectively the entire premise of the comedy. The huge red flag is the production and execution. The source material is strong enough even with static images, and given a dash more confidence in competence this should have been a slam dunk adaptation, yet all expectations are tempered.

uh, fair, actually. I guess I mean more it's gonna have to be a really good adaptation to surpass the source material for me. Like Saiki quality.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the subs for hakumiko were also notoriously bad. there was someone doing episode breakdowns on reddit and some episodes had upwards of 50 errors/bad tl choices

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

I've done that, but no one on earth can make fried chicken that looks as delicious as anime fried chicken

And food anime can't end until we get a Delicious in Dungeon anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

I have taken this path. Food wars has been a legitimate inspiration to me! No one's taken off their clothes in ecstacy yet, but some people have gone back for thirds, so it seems like it's working ok.
Then you have to double your efforts! :colbert:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

also lol at anyone whos going to watch backstreet girls

ok I'll bite: how bad is it?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

did u read the description

quote:

A group of 3 yakuza failed their boss for the last time. After messing up an important job, the boss gave them 2 choices: honorably commit suicide, or go to Thailand to get a sex reassignment surgery in order to become "female" idols. After a gruesome year training to become idols, they successfully debut, with overwhelming popularity, much to their dismay. This is where their tragedy truly begins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also iunno if it'll be good or not but starlight revue's pv was really good, and the person that basically worked day and night to make citrus have as much character as it did is the assistant director, so its probably the show im most interested in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijW8uzyl5Q

seriously this pv is great, so much character animation and then the final bit is great. if the play scenes consistently look half that good itll be a visual marvel

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i feel like a finger on a monkey's paw is closing. like i wished for 'can i just get like, some actual explicit girls loving girls' after amanchu ended spring on a really sour note, and the monkey's paw granted me an adaptation of happy sugar life. i don't even dislike happy sugar life. it's alright. but god drat, kick me while i'm down, why don't you

(looking like a season for me to basically skip on the whole except like, starlight revue. don't watch back street girls)

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 26, 2018

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

How's the Muhyo & Roji manga? The synopsis sounds cool.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

also iunno if it'll be good or not but starlight revue's pv was really good, and the person that basically worked day and night to make citrus have as much character as it did is the assistant director, so its probably the show im most interested in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijW8uzyl5Q

seriously this pv is great, so much character animation and then the final bit is great. if the play scenes consistently look half that good itll be a visual marvel

Woah that's rad. It sounds like it's tied in with a musical? I hope that means they actually sing in the anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Woah that's rad. It sounds like it's tied in with a musical? I hope that means they actually sing in the anime.
in japan 'revue' is used almost exclusively for musicals (im no theater kid so iunno if thats a japanism or if that tracks with the west) so they should be, esp. since its a pretty obvious angle to sell some character CDs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

i only read the first couple volumes back when i saw it in jump ultimate stars, but i remember liking it. it's a bit repetitive like most supernatural detective agency stories tend to be, but it wasn't afraid to get a little heavy so it gave the supernatural threats some teeth. stylistically it kind of reminded me of early yugioh.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

an actual dog posted:

It’s a bushiroad joint, so they’ve already set up stuff all over various media. Much like how bang dream had them do actual band performances, starlight revue has actual stage shows running too, and yeah there’s a good chance of musical bits.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Besides Precure and sequels like Free and AOT and EOC I'm gonna probably watch Starlight,Asobi and Chio. Gonna stay away from Backstreet Girls and Happy Sugar Life and just wait for Bloom into You in Fall

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The only things I'll for sure watch is Banana Fish and I'll give Angolmois, Tensai Bakabon and Hanebado a shot. I might try Aguu: Tensai Ningyou as well, it looks weird

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've done that, but no one on earth can make fried chicken that looks as delicious as anime fried chicken

And food anime can't end until we get a Delicious in Dungeon anime

The trick is to double-fry it, with a finer grained breading the first time and then a coarser one the second. That gives you the "restaurant" fried chicken look and texture.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah they've already announced a starlight revue mobage lol, bushiroad is powerful

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Linnaeus posted:

I read the first chapter and didn't like the dynamic between the two leads because the tone of the jokes seemed really mean-spirited so I didn't read any more of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, in Fall news, Bloom Into You announced its lead VAs today.

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1011170578714132480

I'm quite happy with these picks, both been really good before.

I'm curious as to how far into the manga they'll go.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

I'm curious as to how far into the manga they'll go.

I'm hopeful they can make it to like the end of volume 6 - Should be a really natural stopping point, I bet they can manage it with a few judicious edits, and at any rate there aren't any super obvious cutoff points before there. Stop before that and they'll probably need to do something anime original to make it not feel abrupt and unfinished - though that might not be so bad, the screenwriter's been really good before.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/1011448361839415296?s=19

Really good for a genuine one-off original without pushing or being pushed by anything else.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alcharagia posted:

i feel like a finger on a monkey's paw is closing. like i wished for 'can i just get like, some actual explicit girls loving girls' after amanchu ended spring on a really sour note, and the monkey's paw granted me an adaptation of happy sugar life. i don't even dislike happy sugar life. it's alright. but god drat, kick me while i'm down, why don't you

(looking like a season for me to basically skip on the whole except like, starlight revue. don't watch back street girls)
Happy Sugar Life is bad. Like, I know there may not be all that many dedicated shows to "girls lovin' girls", but HSL is bad. Also? Gross.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
What's happy sugar life

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all the promo material gives me the impression it's saya no uta but with lesbians

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
I feel like the seasonal average is more even now. Winter and summer isn't necessarily that much worse than spring and fall. Personal preference will also have an impact on whether a season feels strong or weak as well.

I think because more shows are made every season there's more likely to be something for everyone every season as well.

I'm personally glad this season has less interesting shows, because it's so difficult to stop watching things that are good, and for the last few seasons it's been so many good shows. What a fatiguing hobby! :downs:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/1011448361839415296?s=19

Really good for a genuine one-off original without pushing or being pushed by anything else.
Hey, the writer of symphogear said he likes it in a tweet

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm happy the good anime is doing well.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Endorph posted:

budget.....

for real i know this gets said every single time someone talks about animation ever but its really worth knowing that flcl looked the way it did because of a once in a lifetime confluence of insanely talented animators in their primes, not because they put money into it. it helps temper expectations. well, flcl was also helped by being 6 episodes over the course of a year versus 12 episodes over the course of three months, but still.

I still don't understand this argument. Are you saying the budgets for FLCL and FLCL: Progressive/Alternative are the same? I don't know any way to prove this one way or the other but it just seems impossible. I guess by extension you're just saying everyone on the show is at best a slightly-above-average animator? I would have to do research here, I mean Imaishi worked on the first one and not these so that's a loss by itself, but I dunno enough about the rest of the staffs to comment.

Also I don't buy anyone's argument that "the first one was an OVA and these are TV anime" because they're still six-episode series and Progressive/Alternative were announced over two years before airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paper Triangle posted:

I still don't understand this argument. Are you saying the budgets for FLCL and FLCL: Progressive/Alternative are the same? I don't know any way to prove this one way or the other but it just seems impossible. I guess by extension you're just saying everyone on the show is at best a slightly-above-average animator? I would have to do research here, I mean Imaishi worked on the first one and not these so that's a loss by itself, but I dunno enough about the rest of the staffs to comment.

Also I don't buy anyone's argument that "the first one was an OVA and these are TV anime" because they're still six-episode series and Progressive/Alternative were announced over two years before airing.
Their budgets are probably different. but ask anyone in the industry and they'll tell you that actual money put into the project only somewhat affects the animation quality. FlipFlappers was made on a pretty shoestring amount of money, but it looks a lot better than Persona 5 The Animation, a show with a decent amount of production power behind it. Animators are paid so little that the amount of money you have doesn't really affect the level of talent you can get and the amount of animators you can have, and more animators hardly equals better. In some ways, it equals worse. God Eater is the biggest production ufotable has done, in terms of staff size, counting overseas animation, and its their worst working show by a mile. More than that, there's no way of knowing which of FLCL or the new series has more money put into it.

What matters for animation quality is the talent of the staff and the amount of time allowed to that staff, plus the general organizational quality of production, more than anything. And progressive/alternative were probably announced the moment they got the rights worked out and were committed to doing them. Two years isn't that long a leadup time - it's a decent chunk of time, but not unheard of, especially considering they're trying to organize two shows at once.

From a 2002 interview with Funimation, given by Tsurumaki, the director of the original FLCL.

quote:

Why was FLCL produced?

Gainax needed to work on something new after Evangelion, but Hideaki Anno needed a little rest, so I came up with the idea for FLCL.

This implies FLCL was in at least early planning stages since 1996, when Evangelion ended. Even giving 'after Evangelion' some space to be like, a year later, that still implies three years of development. Even if he means after End of Evangelion, that's also 2-3 years. Incidentally, that he describes FLCL as essentially a filler series, something to keep the staff busy, that implies they didn't put that much money into it, whereas the modern FLCL series is cashing in on a very successful, beloved older series. Which implies, if anything, that it'd have more of a budget.

And unlike a weekly TV series, episodes of FLCL could be done when they were done. Once an episode 'aired,' they had months to make sure the next one was fully complete, give it touchups. Even in the best produced TV series in the world, a weekly schedule is going to mean you don't have time to make things look as polished as you wish you could. Speed's of the essence, even if you had lots of lead-up time, and things are inevitably going to wind up finished last minute.

As for the talent of the animation staff, the staff for the new series, is... well, new. They've explicitly said so in interviews, and looking at staff credits bears this out. There's a few relatively old hands, Toshihisa Kaiya (director of Episode 2 of Progressive) worked on Ghost in the Shell, and Hisashi Toshima (animation director on Ep 3) got his start on pokemon movies from like ten years ago, but there's a ton of new hands in even the higher ranking positions.

Kazuto Arai, director and storyboarder of episode 1 of progressive, has his first credits as an inbetweener on a few Trigger things. Just the fact that he seemingly started animating when trigger existed should tell you how new he is, and even allowing for some early inbetweener credits to be missing, that's still new blood. And when you get down to key animation, pretty much everyone is incredibly new. Yuki Hino (Key Animation, ep 3) literally only has two other credits to their name, and they're both from last year. There's people who have only done Doraemon and Pokemon movies their entire, three-four year careers, people who were just inbetweeners on random big film projects, whatever. Again, some credits could be missing, but probably only a year or two's worth, and most people usually manage to get credited for something even in their first year.

And that's not to say none of those people have talent - clearly they do, since Progressive hardly looks bad and they were trusted with some fairly important work so early in their careers - but they aren't Gainax in their prime by a mile. Basically nobody is. More than that, Gainax's animators, even the young ones, had been through the worst of it and back out again. Anyone who managed to survive Evangelion's production had seen things no mortal was meant to see. Some of these people, especially the ones who have just escaped Doraemon hell, are probably trying to adjust to a TV production. Especially ones where they have a lot more responsibility than they might be used to. These are all things that no amount of money could, would, or is going to fix.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 26, 2018

• Locked thread