Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Back when BattleCorps was still buying short stories I was told by the line developers that the Hermes is incredibly rare, it's one of the Inner Sphere's unicorns. The Wolfhound and Panther aren't universal but they are common enough that pretty much everyone has salvaged Panthers (or "salvaged" Wolfhounds if TharHes needs a quick excuse for selling weapons to foreign states under the table).

Edit: If we're talking "generally available to mercenaries" both are pretty high on the list.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gotta go with the coolest variant.

They're trying very hard to make the Dragonfly look less goofy, too (just fixing the arms is a big help).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll be satisfied if they find the Cauldron Born's lost hips. They disappeared somewhere in the transition from the original MW2-era design to the sleeker MW4 design to the current tabletop miniature.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alpha Strike is solid and plays relatively quickly. It has a few oddities, but it really elevates a lot of units that would be marginal at best in standard play. Bookkeeping's light and you can get cards for every unit off the official Master Unit List so the only barrier for entry's the rulebook.

I suggest skill 3 pilots and play without any SPAs or lance SPAs to start out, and adding more mechanics as you get comfortable with moving and shooting and calculating ToHits.

The Clans are still playing Rocket Tag though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

Ok, thanks. Are clans just unable to add armor and swap out weapons on their mechs? Dumb questions I know, but I've only played the digital games where building is a big mechanic.

This might be a bit TLDR, since it involves core game mechanics.

Alpha Strike is a different game from standard play. It's designed to let you play companies or even larger formations of troops easily, so it loses some of BattleTech's grit and granularity in favor of being streamlined and quick to play.

Alpha Strike uses fixed damage numbers, with damage calculated based on a 'Mech's damage potential in standard play. Because the Clans have high damage toys, Clan 'mechs invariably get high to very high damage numbers for their weight class. On average a Clan 'mech is doing 1-2 more damage per weight class than their Inner Sphere counterparts, but they usually pay for it because most of them use XL Engines to get that extra damage and in Alpha Strike an XL Engine reduces a unit's structure because the XL Engine is more vulnerable than a standard one.

Because of their high damage and (typically) weak structure, Clan 'mechs tend to be capable of one- or two-shotting other Clan 'mechs of the same weight class (or at least pushing them into forced withdrawal).

TLDR: engagements involving two Clan forces nearly always end very quickly (often as soon as one side gets a numerical advantage), thus: Rocket Tag.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And then the Society bested the Clans at their own game.

Which makes sense, since it was Us, Clanners. It was the scientists all along!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

The Commander's Edition is basically just the original rulebook combined with the stuff from the Companion like LAMs.

And the addition of Jump Weak and Jump Strong for 'Mechs that don't jump as far as they run and/or jump farther than they run and have reduced/increased TMMs while jumping. And the Float like a Butterfly SPA, which is really nice. There're a lot of little additions in Commander's Edition that I appreciate.

I think the Special Command Abilities are new too? I'm probably misremembering.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Everyone in the Inner Sphere is lovely but I've always liked that the "Life is cheap, BattleMechs are expensive" tagline is demonstrably false. It's always the people that matter.

I have to say I really like the concept art for the elemental. It manages to look like something that could conceivably be worn while at the same time looking actually toad-like, unlike the original which always looked more like weird samurai armor. Narrowing the torso and moving the backpack missile pod forward (so the missiles resemble big bug-eyes) helps immensely.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

I have never ever found a good use for Ironhold Assault Armor, for example. If you can't rip out a mech's hips with your tiny claws, what's the point?
The standard one isn't great but the Ironhold (Fire) is Hellstar-level broken.

With four AP-Gauss and fire resistant armor they can park forever in a building or some heavy woods and spend the entire game making a 3-6 hex radius a 'no-go' zone. Treat them like a minefield with 60 potential damage. You can park them behind your 'Mechs and trust that no cheeky lights will try for those tasty backshots. They can't even be cleared with plasma cannons or infernos. They're a bargain at 562 bv.

They're also complete monsters in Alpha Strike. Because yes, a Battle Armor did need to have more damage potential than the Summoner.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 2, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Damage in Alpha Strike is 1 point for every 10 (or fraction thereof) damage a unit does in tabletop. The Summoner actually gets a little leeway here since its LRM-15 averages 9 damage (10+15+9 = 34, which is 3.4 damage that gets rounded up to 4).

4 is actually respectable, most IS heavies get 3-4. Clan heavies average 4-5.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 2, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Summoner's not the only 'Mech that gets the rounding benefit. Alpha Strike rounds oddly, 2-3 damage doesn't usually round up but 4+ usually does. The JagerMech's 14 tabletop damage rounds up to 2 damage in Alpha Strike, which is respectable for its low points value.

The 'mech that benefits the most from rounding is the Jade Hawk. 4 Streak SRM-6s (48 damage, 12 hex range) and 4 ER Small Lasers (20 damage, 6 hex range) rounds its way into a 7 damage 6 hex jumping monstrosity with a 12 hex range

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The introduction of double heat sinks ruined battletech, quiaff.

Armor and structure advanced, it's twice as tough as it used to be. Weapons advanced, they do twice the damage (so armor values are unchanged and damage numbers don't change) at twice the heat. Everyone's using one-ton compact double heat sinks now to deal with the extra heat, they're so ubiquitous we just call them "Heat Sinks."

And that's how you get rid of DHS without a "we forgot" :cry: handwave.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

Perfect until somebody inevitably wants to run old Brian Cache tech against ‘modern’ mechs.

Flag them as primitive, they take double-damage from modern weapons until they're upgraded.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

R0ckfish posted:

So I am painting half of the box set (battle master, thunderbolt, shadow hawk and commando) as donegal guard and I am trying to figure the other half. Any suggestions?

Marik Militia

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A lot of bad 'Mechs are surprisingly viable in Alpha Strike.

Edit: Compare everyone's good buddy the Warhammer to notable 3025 bad joke the JagerMech

Or notable bad and fragile 55 tonner the Shadow Hawk to notable good and durable 55 tonner the Griffin

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 9, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clan Hot Wheels Battle Tractors!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nystral posted:

If Lyrans are not Germany, FedSund / FedCom are not England, DC are Not Japan, and Liao are not China. What is House Marik based on?

Lyran Commonwealth is Napoleonic Prussia
Federated Suns is the Hanseatic League with Cowboys
Draconis Combine is WWII Imperial Japan
Capellan Confederation is Stalin's Russia w/ more Chinese restaurants
Free Worlds League is the Byzantine Empire

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DarkAvenger211 posted:

It contains cards for the alpha strike rules, but nowhere in the box does it actually contain the alpha strike rules. Is this intentional? Or am I supposed to be able to use these cards regardless?

The box contains the basic rules for standard play with normal record sheets for each 'Mech in the box (plus a few), and alpha strike cards as a bonus for the people who play Alpha Strike.

No BattleTech box set (with the exception of BattleSpace?) has ever, to my knowledge, contained the full rulebook. There isn't a 'basic' version of Alpha Strike, a lot of Alpha Strike is balanced around using special pilot abilities, lance combos, and special command abilities to modify the way individual units play.

VV Ah, so I was mistaken. I can't imagine Alpha Strike quickstart being any more than a page or two.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 21, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

When is Wave 2 supposed to ship?

They haven't specified but the kickstarter expects "late 2020"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ono posted:

My only option is to "donate" the extra.

What it looks like it's asking is: "Would you like to give us your money for nothing?"

What it's actually asking is: "Would you like a refund for the excess, or would you like to put your money towards something?"

If you click 'Donate' it will take you to the add-ons and any add-ons you decide to purchase should come out of your surplus first before they charge you for anything.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 15, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There are ways to play using numbered blip tokens that are really fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

food court bailiff posted:

Man, the GOAC box is substantial.

It's the best starter box they've ever produced, even if I like the art on the old 3E standees a lot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RIP Youtube Annotations

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

It took until Dark Age before anyone was inbred. You know, when they decided the franchise needed rape and incest to really break into a new level.
Diana Pryde :colbert:

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh jesus christ.
Who greenlit that?
WizKids, mostly. Danai Liao-Centrella and Alric Wolf are the big offenders DI is referencing, and even Alaric's questionable since Clan genetic manipulation is involved. Alaric should've just been a straight-up clone of Kathy Steiner the way Maeve Wolf was a clone of Jaime Wolf.

Danai is a Liao so I'm sure Loren Coleman was involved in that one.

Edit: Alaric was also the only Clanner ever to be held back in a Sibko (he graduated at 24 when Clanners test into the Warrior Caste at 20) and my favorite quote about him is:

quote:

Alaric was somewhat tormented by [Katherine Steiner's] constant meddling with his life
Even in the 31st century, helicopter DropShip parents are the worst.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 15, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Right, I forgot about him. There's so much to keep track of with Caleb since he was designed to stop people whining about the Davions always being the good guys by personally checking off every possible villainous trope he could.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 16, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, I think Caleb's fine. He's a paranoid schizophrenic sociopath, I just have difficulty remembering all of his crimes when Yori Kurita is so much more entertaining.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I prefer camospecs.com because they don't roll in fan-made schemes alongside canon ones

Those are easy to spot because they all have:

Paint Scheme by (fan-made and not canonized: [person name]

The real ones will list TRO page numbers or list 'CSO' for CamoSpecs. Camospecs is better when it works but even at its best it's slow and ponderous.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

Depends, I found some stuff on Etsy and a couple weird offsites (Warhansa, Strato Minis) for relatively cheap that I ordered. Will come back with a trip report.

Warhansa's resin and good quality.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That's a nice start.

Edit: I just finished up my own a few days ago, too!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 5, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My latest four. (Well, I say that. I've had the Shiro finished for a while :ssh: ).

I'm particularly happy with the Gunsmith's reflective armor and with the Jade Hawk's finish. It doesn't photograph well, but the Jade Hawk is using a color-shifting green paint that turns gold at certain angles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've just been painting cockpits like that for a while, and I know the Gunsmith's got laser reflective armor.

It works pretty well as beach or desert camo too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just finished another round of painting. First, some objective / salvage markers (five I made months ago, four I just finished, and six new ones I just started)!

Top Row (from left to right):
A decaying crab under a little tree, a BattleMaster's arm under a big tree, a dome-shaped building/science lab, an ancient 'Mech arm, a shipping container with the footprints of the Grasshopper that stole it

Middle Row:
A Shadow Hawk's severed leg, a buried Atlas, two little shipping containers, a Night Gyr's severed arm, a beached Dragon

Bottom Row:
A buried Blackjack, a car traveling down a dirt road, two cars parked at a dock (they could turn into a shipping container), a shipping container and a car sinking into a lake/swamp, and the rotting husk of a mostly-submerged Quickdraw

I also painted up a lance of House Davion's pet terrorists, the Swordsworn: a Jenner, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, and Blackjack

And then did a Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Jenner, and Annihilator in colors I don't think anyone has ever seriously considered fielding in tabletop: Bannson's Raiders!

... I actually kinda like the way teal and tan work together, even if Bannson himself is a colossal jackass.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finally finished the "last" two members of my dumb nostalgia star: two lumpy, misshapen Timberwolves!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished up my last six objective markers. And a Kintaro. And a random building I realized would (barely) fit on a hex base.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endman posted:

Are you crossing out the circles on your mech’s record sheet? I’m going to get mine laminated so I can use a dry erase marker to do it and have them be reusable.

I do this for alpha strike, at least for my player group. Any 'Mech they kill and keep gets laminated.

They're still happiest with the pirate Locust they convinced to join them after killing all of the Locust's friends, he's put in work for them. For a while, they were just using him as a "Eh, we got him free, who cares if he dies?" and now it's "Which disproportionately large enemy 'Mech will he solo kill this time?"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Is there an app for keeping track of your mechs damage?

One of the stretch goals for their kickstarter was looking into creating an official BattleTech 'Mech tracking app, so here's hoping.

Even if it just turns out to be a ToHit calculator or a diceroller that does missile table results it'd be helpful.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

To be clear, this thing takes up three 1.75" hexes (heroscape) so I wonder if I should go back in and edit it. Double AC/5 and an LRM10 on each side should be enough to cover ground, I think?

Due to the way firing arcs work vehicle side weapons can't fire into the front or rear arcs which is a pretty big hole for the players to exploit. If that's not intentional you might want to bump two of the AC/5s up into the turret.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think I'm now the only person alive with an entire company of Bannson's Raiders. Yes, I'm stupid. I like their colors.

You've seen Mars Lance already (Locust, Phoenix Hawk, Annihilator, Rifleman)

But I also have Street Lance (Cicada, Hatchetman, Atlas, Victor)

and Moon Lance! (Enforcer, Hellspawn, BattleMaster, Cataphract)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No they haven't? Wave one's been delayed a month due to the manufacturer springing an equipment upgrade on them and wave 2 is still on schedule since most of that work is getting the 3D renders finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

(and that will probably get longer due to coronavirus)

Backer Update 86 posted:

Things are getting busy again as we start to ramp back up at the end of the Chinese Lunar New Year, and so far our factories are reporting that the virus shouldn't cause excessive delays.

Yes, the manufacturer could be lying to them (that's always a risk with China), but Catalyst has been great about sending actual updates on the status of the project. If there is a delay, we'll know as soon as they do, which is also a best-case scenario for a Kickstarter project.