Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What did you expect from a casual game? It's not like this game is simulating U-Boat warfare at all, it's just candy-crush with a lick of u-boat grey paint and the cooks' blood in the corner of the galley.

Real U-boat nuts will disregard this game purely because the provisions officer looks like a pirate popeye kinda guy, and you can pickup sauerkraut from the boxes of the freighters you have sunk with you 20mm AA gun. Brilliant.

This game / simulation of uboot warfare will ONLY apply to casual gamers, people who are interested in end-round attacks, relative bearings, plotting and not running around the u-boat like a headless chicken need not apply, after all the consensus is that there is no place for sub-nuts here only Legends and World of warships warriors are permitted to their casual candy crush simulator.

I know you're doing irony but I was sorta hoping that U-Boat would allow players to use actually realistic tactics (operating in wolfpacks, surfaced night attacks, etc.) unlike the Silent Hunter games. From everything I'm seeing though it seems like it still mostly forces players into doing boring submerged attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

As someone who'll buy RTW2 on day one, I think it'd be smart to make a separate thread. I seem to remember the grog thread was 90% RTW posts when goons discovered it, plus having it in a separate thread might help to get fresh eyes on it. Once the hype about it dies down in a few months the conversation could just be folded back into here

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The whole crew system should be seriously overhauled. It sucks. I can see what the idea was (it does make the game more immersive) but it's tedious and it's compounded by the fact that the user interface is a pain to deal with. Maybe after I have a few hours in the game I won't find it so irritating but as far now it's seriously getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Also, why would you reduce the boat's complement from 50 to 15 and then have crew fatigue? It's such a bizarre choice.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Speaking of bad aircraft encounters, I lost my first boat when I got spotted by a Sunderland while trying to transit the Gibraltar straits. At 2 in the morning. Aircraft seem like they're still a work in progress.

Also, is anyone else bumping into a lot of friendly U-boats? I feel like I'm averaging like 3 per patrol. It's weird.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Anyone having difficulty finding ships to sink? I've been on 3 straight patrols without seeing any ships in my patrol area (I did run across a Type VII taking on a pair of corvettes with it's deck gun. Ended about as well as you'd think it would), although I don't know enough about the Battle of the Atlantic to know if that's realistic or not.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Coiler121 posted:

If I liked Silent Hunter 3 (I did) would I like UBOAT?

It's still very early access. There are numerous bugs, limited content (you always start in May '41 commanding a Type VII in La Rochelle) and they're still ironing out big wrinkles in the gameplay. Also there's no manual targeting. I got it for $20 and I don't regret purchasing it but you'll probably get the best experience if you wait a few months.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

nipperi posted:

There is manual targeting though?

There is! I feel stupid. In my defense it's never mentioned in the tutorial.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I dunno I get the sense that Unity of Command is only able to have such a clean UI and intuitive game mechanics because it seriously compromises the actual simulation aspect of the game. This is a perfectly understandable decision, but for me it makes me feel less like I'm Mark Clark at the Battle of Anzio (:goonsay:) and more like I'm playing a World War 2 themed puzzle game

e:

Pharnakes posted:

That's true and all but UoC is barely a grog game really I think. It's a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame, which swings a little too far to the simplification side for my tastes. You can absolutely put yourself in a no win situation despite following the "rules" of stacking attacks just by getting unlucky on a die roll, with no way to recover. Which isn't to say that doesn't reflect reality necessarily, but I like to be more complicit in my own downfall than losing a die roll.

I'm a firm believer that wargames should be heavy on the RNG. Unexpected stupid poo poo that dramatically alters plans is a common theme in military history. I guess that's not the most fun from a gameplay aspect but I think it's a very important part of the simulaton.

sum fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 10, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Anyone figure out how the hell you get seaplane tenders to actually launch a strike? It keeps complaining that "Strike exceeds deck capacity" even when the sortie size is one (also the 'deck' is the entire ocean??).

I have to say though, I'm enjoying the new fleet exercise feature (even if they do seem unrealistically pricey). It'd be cool if they added a joint exercise feature where you could fight a simulated battle against a foreign navy with low tension or something.

sum fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 15, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The demo's great, I played through it about 3 times. The one thing I can already tell is going to be really annoying though is retrofitting all your ships with anti-aircraft guns. It's a really easy thing to forgot to do and it takes loving forever to get your entire fleet. I feel like AA rebuilds should be something the player should be allowed to automate.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

The restrictions regarding building your first CV are bullshit!!!!!

I wonder if they did that just for the demo or because they actually forgot that the Hoshu and the Hermes existed in 1920

sum
Nov 15, 2010

You know I sorta figured that the game had gone gold at least a few days ago. Grog development sure is something.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

In retrospect they probably shouldn't have given a specific day as release day

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Oh thank God I can just use Paypal. I was certain they'd make me send my credit card info via plaintext

e: 11:51 PM CST. I guess that's technically May 17th

e2: what the gently caress is this lol

e3: a guy just still manually emails you codes. great system

sum fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 18, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Ugh this is my legacy fleet as Germany in 1920

I believe this is because of the Treaty of Versailles. I disabled that option for my 1920s Germany

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I am extremely displeased to announce that RTW 2 loving rules and I love playing it. Sorry to anyone this disappoints.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

France! You need to build CVs pal!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

On the other hand the attacked battleships also didn't have the heavier AA and anti-air fire directors that 1940s battleships had when they got creamed by aircraft. But yeah for gameplay purposes at least I think maybe AA should be more disrupting for attacking aircraft, or AA disruption should be inversely proportional to the speed of the aircraft or something.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Not sure if anyone's posted this in here yet but Ultimate Admiral now has an actual website with a couple dev blogs on it. If this blog is to be believed they're not dumbing anything down from RTW. It's looking really good.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Boiler ventilation and bulkhead divisions are more exciting than the dumb shooty-shooty part where some Hun blows up all your precious designs

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Squiggle posted:

4. Is there good reason to build any new ships before research starts to work its magic?

My first ship building priority at the start of the game is always corvettes. You need to have a dozen or so ships out on trade protection during wartime and it's nice to not have to use your fleet destroyers. Besides that I might pump out a couple lovely cruisers for foreign stationing depending on the country.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Squiggle posted:

...Do you mean "tiny destroyers" since I don't see corvettes as a class option?

That's odd, they should be right under destroyers in the ship designer. You can't build them below 600 tons in peacetime but they should always be an option to build. But yeah in the 1900 start I suppose a 500ish ton destroyer would be about as cheap and also more useful so I'd build that instead.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

End of battle torpedoings wouldn't be so galling if they didnt count for VP (like all the other ones)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

A pop up saying “The crew of BB Poopsocker is abandoning ship!” would be both realistic and useful.

~80% of the time if an enemy ship has slowed below 10 knots it's terminally damaged and if it's dead in the water it's almost always sinking. You might need to manually intervene to prevent your ships from wasting ammo on them though.

The aircraft pummeling already-sinking ships thing rings true to me. There's plenty of stories of Japanese battleships eating dozens of bombs and torpedoes and it wouldn't shock me if most of those hits came in after the ship's fate was already sealed.

sum fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 3, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

In CMANO, is there a way to enter god's eye mode in a scenario (not the editor)? I like to do it while debriefing but I couldn't find an option for it.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

e: also pulled the trigger of TOAWIV at 50% off, been waiting for that one.

Report back on whether it was worth it

e:

Deptfordx posted:

Also Pike and Shot Campaigns, or Field of Glory II?
Gameplay-wise they have extremely similar mechanics. FoG 2 is prettier and is generally more polished though, so if you like the two eras about the same I'd lean towards that.

sum fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 26, 2019

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How's the difficulty compared to Paradox's recent releases? I seem to remember Johan saying that they've made their games easier because winning is fun or whatever, but I really have a hankering for a map game with old school Crusader Kings-style arbitrary empire explosions

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Flannelette posted:

Is Steel Beasts a Grognard game? Because they updated it and now it finally has proper not blocky 90s terrain, craters and doesn't slow down anymore if you have lots of units and long view distance.

$125 + a monthly subscription :signings:

I know their primary audience is defense agencies but they would make a shitload if they put the personal edition on Steam for like $40 and market it like ARMA

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I can understand why they did it but the massively magnified scale for the battles really bothers me for some reason. I hope there's an option for a realistic scale.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm almost fine with no grand campaign. I don't think there's a way to get the AI to behave properly when the map is literally half the world, plus you end up spending most of your time scooting around divisions in Burma or setting up resupply convoys rather than living out your fantasy of being Frank Fletcher.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I watched a few AARs and it seemed like Armored Brigade suffers from Combat Mission disease where an average engagement has a casualty rate of 80%. Is that pretty typical?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I bought Armored Brigade, and after playing one quick battle I think I'll be returning it. Seems like a fun game if you're into doing ultra-nuanced setups where you individually check the LOS of a battalion's worth of troops for an hour before pressing "go", but that's not really my cup of tea.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts is getting some more vids from early access and it's looking really good still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxHUAlu3jM

e: dude tries to build a 1914 yamato, does not end well.

This looks a lot better than the first videos that came out. I'm glad to see that the engagement ranges are realistic and there's apparently just enough concessions to make it playable in real time. Sorta weird that there's apparently not a tactical map view though, I can't imagine commanding anything larger than a small scrap from flying camera mode.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Not-Sure-If-Grognard but this just popped up on Steam, coming out soon. Seems pretty neato

https://twitter.com/wargamercom/status/1193938209190883329?s=21

It's sorta weird to me that we've got multiple wargame-y Afghanistan insurgency games now and not one of them has thought that maybe they would be more fun from the insurgent's perspective rather than the people responding to the insurgents. I guess it's the taboo against playing as the Official Bad Guys.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ethiopia could actually be pretty workable. The only tank they really have access to before the 70s is the Walker Bulldog but I guess Kenya only gets the Comet before then so it'll be fairly balanced.

If you're adding Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia are also logical to toss in

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd consider Somalia but the problem with Eritrea is the time they were a separate, recognized nation would be a grand total of like, three years in the timeframe I'm working with.

Yeah I guess Eritrea would make more sense as the ELF/EPLF, but sources on their equipment seem pretty sparse and they'd probably come out being pretty generic "guerilla infantry" anyway

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

RPS has a nice article about a real-time Pacific Fleet WWII game that looks interesting, if admittedly limited—no multiplayer, and only late 1941-early 1943.

Yeah it looked really exciting. The fact that devs are building it around the realistic first-person flag officer mode is really encouraging; more wargames should borrow from Radio Commander. I do think the insistence on minimal abstractions might lead to a lot of jankyness though considering how small the team is

sum
Nov 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thinkin about an East Front game where your only view is a map in a tent like it was Tabletop Simulator

Maybe you get to fly around in a Storch for a closer look, but then you might get shot down

My dream grognard game is a first person Civil War game where you're stuck inside of a farmhouse headquarters physically shuffling around counters on a map and wondering why the hell your none of the couriers you sent off to XX Corps have returned

sum
Nov 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

TOAW 4 scenarios you should check out, varying in quality from "good" to "playable":

Any advice for nice low-complexity scenarios for idiots who just downloaded the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

This might be a little silly to ask, but is there a mod or game option or something for TOAW 4 to make the possession rules for empty hex exclaves like literally every other wargame (i.e. empty hexes surrounded by other hexes automatically revert possession)? I don't really have a reason for asking besides the fact that the border gore is making me want to stick a knife in my eye