Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No but that looks awesome. Instagram figured out I like riding gravel and now I have all these ads for gravel “fondos” I am tempted to sign up for. There was one up by me at mt Shasta a couple weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Honestly, the route isn’t that special this year, rain screwed with their plans a lot. I ride all these roads/paths for free all the time, am feeling kind of dumb for paying big $$$ to do the same ol stuff, but the big festive environment is kind of worth it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Starting to clear up

Also got some new tires

Pirelli gravel H. Feels fast, just barely fits in the major jake. Doesn't rub, but the 40s measure nearly 44mm on my 23mm wide rims. I feel a lot better about tires that measure closer to 40 even. Would not be good to get caked up with mud or knock the rear wheel out of true and i might end up swapping to something else. Kind of heavy too (485 and 500g) but I assume that will translate to decent durability. 34/38psi felt a little firm on rougher gravel yesterday so i'll probably go down a bit, plus i have inserts. 3 day gravel race this weekend- tt, long route, then circuit race on mostly paved and generally smooth road. day 1 i'm using the new wheels and big slicks, day 2 these pirellis, day 3 the road bike.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 25, 2023

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Went to a 50 mile gravel grinder yesterday, not realizing until we lined up for the rolling start that it was definitely a race and not just a fun ride. My buddy DNF’d off multiple mechanicals right from the start. Don’t assemble your bike the night before a trip with a few beers in you. I came in 28th of 46 after falling back to try and find him. Had a blast rolling with strong dudes on single speed for a while. I might try to get a better report written up later but I don’t have photos from the ride.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
One of the nice things about races is you don't have to race pace if you don't want to.

Long as you had fun and came home safe it's a good day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did some race pace on Saturday. 275w normalized for 3 hours @ 61kg. Never quite chased down the guys in the lead group but got 6th overall out of 500ish. My time this year would have been a CR any other year :negative:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I did some race pace on Saturday. 275w normalized for 3 hours @ 61kg. Never quite chased down the guys in the lead group but got 6th overall out of 500ish. My time this year would have been a CR any other year :negative:
CR?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Course record.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ah. So good conditions all around. Still worth a congrats.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
almost got run over by a stampeding herd of
elk today

and got new bars, 40cm Zipp SL70 XPLR

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

e.pilot posted:

and got new bars, 40cm Zipp SL70 XPLR

Me too - they're great!!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm not going to bother with a full race report from last weekend, only these bits of advice: it's better to have one hand cold than to be unable to get your hand into your snack pocket, don't get stranded solo if you don't have a bike computer with the race nav, and make sure to wear your coolest jersey if you don't want to have to be good at racing to get your photo taken.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Doing a 300km gravel sportive-type thing in a few weeks. It's about 50:50 road:offroad, with the offroad looking to be mostly forest fire roads. Nothing too gnarly (from what I can tell - there's not much info on the route yet).

Tyre recommendations for something that will roll fast on the road sections but will be decent enough on the gravel sections still? I have 37mm Terreno Drys on my bike at the moment. The FAQ is recommending 40mm+.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm no expert but I run X'Plor MSOs for that type of stuff where I am - a mix of pavement, crushed limestone, dirt, small gravel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Challenge getaway pro htlr is pretty decent and low rolling resistance, wearing well for me so far but a complete pain in the dick to mount though

Edit:

rolling resistance between same tires of different widths can be extremely minimal, for example:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...-terra-speed-45

go as wide as you can afford if your tire choice it's available in different widths

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Schwalbe G-one RS? Might be a little smooth for the fire roads.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

40 or 45mm Continental TerraSpeeds

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

amenenema posted:

Speaking of, I have a pair of brand new TerraSpeeds in 40-584 (27.5", 650x40B) if anyone is after some tyres (located in Europe which probably narrows takers a lot).
Was going to put them on a bike but have decided to sell it, and the returns window has closed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

amenenema posted:

Terra speeds are so good I bought another 4 of them when on sale

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not sure if it'll be gravel routes this year, but I assume it will be given the "adventure" bent.

kimbo305 posted:

Cutty Cap scavenger cap is next weekend
https://ridewithgps.com/news/8137-the-2023-cutty-cap-challenge
You just need to sign up for RideWithGPS to get the notification email.

My unsuccessful trip report from last time:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933902&pagenumber=35&perpage=40&highlight=cutty,cap#post523985825

This yeah, I might try harder and bike down inside what I hope will be the perimeter right, waiting at 8a for the launch.

Cities [wtf order is this?]:

Oakland | Portland | New York | Seattle | Sydney (Gadigal Country) | Denver | Washington, D.C. | Tokyo | Chicago | Melbourne | St. Paul | Columbus | Charlotte | Philadelphia | Amsterdam | Ottawa | Dallas | Toronto | Boston | Montreal | Los Angeles | Atlanta | Copenhagen | Osaka | Austin | Pairs | Pittsburgh | Helsinki | Bend | Richmond | Mexico City | San Jose | Dallas | Boulder | Houston | Warsaw | Minneapolis | Fayetteville | Bristol | Canberra | Tulsa | London | Providence | Bentonville | Dublin | Manchester

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Intrigued by Chicago, which I assume is not actually going to be in Chicago and likely the Des Plaines river trail, somewhere near Dekalb or elsewhere in farm country.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

charliebravo77 posted:

Intrigued by Chicago, which I assume is not actually going to be in Chicago and likely the Des Plaines river trail, somewhere near Dekalb or elsewhere in farm country.

This is what they did last year:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39310351
Iirc, the wording of last year's challenge was to introduce people to rides they didn't know were close by.

I imagine one design concern would be a reasonable geographic spread for all possible riders in a city.
Boston's spread of locations was admirably _not_ concentrated in areas where typical rich cyclists would be.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh neat so it's like geocaching combined with gravel riding basically. Will have to see if I can find anything next weekend.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
after 3 and a half years the JTS got a bunch of upgrayedds and I’ve been riding the poo poo out of it, feels like a new bike

mullet axs, 42t chainring, 40cm ZIPP SL70 bars, and swapped the power meter over from dick wood

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That bar tape is a real good match. Such a sick bike!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got up early, biked down to the centroid of where caps were distributed last year and waited for the start at 8a. The closest location ended up being 1.3mi away. I raced over and looked everywhere, but it was already gone. Bummer. I did meet someone else doing it who was riding a GT Grade, though.

Mass Ave Bridge, as featured in Wakanda Forever:

In the movie, it was still set up as two car lanes and a very narrow shoulder/bike lane.

Got trash snacks at gas station as I waited the map to drop

Just got this lightly used, and it was great for this ride. I had the phone out while descending a steep section of the bike path, and front is surprisingly death wobbly.
I really want a suspension stem for the front -- the rear is really compliant like the reviews say, so the front-rear mismatch stands out.

This was #6 on the Boston map

The clue was simply "Emeralds," since this is on the Emerald Necklace MUP. I bet the cap was tucked into the exposed roots of the tree on the left.
I think the map is waaay less equitable than last year, in terms of correlation with more affluent neighborhoods.

I was refreshing the collection page like crazy and got the map opened up within seconds of it appearing there, around 8:05.
I was probably on site by 8:15-16. If I had just stayed home, the nearest one would have been 1.8mi away, so I did get a little bit of an edge, not accounting for density of other riders who'd want to do this.
The email for the Boston map came out at 8:01, so I could have saved 4min or so. And maybe ridden one min faster to get there.

Close encounters of the goose kind:

Someone else on the challenge biked through my spot, and we chatted for a bit cuz he was also on a GT Grade. He'd bagged a cap at another location. We tried one more spot, where I ended up taking the requisite wall pic.

The gravel was the steepest and rockiest coming up to the train tracks that run under this overpass, and the bike on WTB Nanos felt fine. They ran a lot faster on the road than I expected.

As we say in Boston, there's always next year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That looks like a fun ride.

I ride a grade too. 2015 or 2016, I really don't remember. I like the bike, but looking forward to replacing it with a Grizl when 12s GRX comes out.

What do folks ride for shoes for gravel? I'm on SPD, but without recesses for the clips, so it's very awkward to walk in. I want something more comfortable and able to walk in. I'm planning on riding the short route for BWR Kansas in October and from what I've seen I may need to jump off the bike for some sections.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shimano rx-800/801 are fantastic

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a pair of Scott mtb shoes with spd. They're way better than road shoes to walk in, not quite as stiff soled. Just fine for hike a bike, in and out of stores or my office or kid's school.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gravel.png

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
unbelievable grav conditions in colorado right now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I went outside today

:sun:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm jealous of NZ greenery. But for about 6 weeks out of the year things are green here too!

Found a snake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What happens the rest of the year??

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Slavvy posted:

What happens the rest of the year??

B r o w n

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Early Morning Riding

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Team_q posted:

Early Morning Riding

Great picture

I find I always forget to take pictures during the fun parts cause I'm mostly just trying to keep moving

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
What's the verdict on the Gorilla Monsoon?

There's one for sale close to me at a reasoble price but I've read that they are on the heavy side. I'm pretty happy with my Surly Cross Check but really need disc brakes for the winter....

Is the Gorilla Monsoon pretty close to a Midnight Special?

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

jet sanchEz posted:

What's the verdict on the Gorilla Monsoon?

There's one for sale close to me at a reasoble price but I've read that they are on the heavy side. I'm pretty happy with my Surly Cross Check but really need disc brakes for the winter....

Is the Gorilla Monsoon pretty close to a Midnight Special?

The people I know who have GMs seem to like them. They are definitely heavy though. Would be significantly heavier than a MS. More stable geometry and less playful compared to it (and your cross check also)

I would see the gorilla for more intensive gravel or even tame singletrack. The MS is a road+ bike so depending on your needs I think one would fit better.

DanManIt fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007