Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

(you know when you get that photo of someone excitedly ordering a 50-patty and it's just this box of grease and day-glo yellow? I bet this is gonna just be that in thread form)

Rules
Expansion Rules

What?

Food Chain Magnate is a fiendishly good Splotter game all about setting up a fast food chain in a local neighborhood. Along the way you'll need to hire staff from a collection of misfits, build your stock levels, watch out for the local area's demands and trends, undercut everyone else with the right ad campaign at the right moment, and then sell your unsuspecting customers the most expensive poo poo you can manage. It's very tight in terms of mechanics - diceless and deterministic, it's your strategy and guile that will really carry you through, to the point where many players much better than I am have come up with a huge array of potential build orders and tier lists.

The expansion, Ketchup Mechanic, is not quite an expansion but more a set of different rules and mechanics that you can bolt onto the main game in the form of a series of modules to make it more complex. Personally, I'm curious about how they stack up, so it seemed like it was time to revisit this.

Recruiting / Rules
  • As they come recommended for your first play of the expansion, this game will use the New Milestones and Coffee modules. Personally, I'm also curious about how much the game changes or gets bogged down with six players, so I'll also be including the 6 Players module, which necessitates using New Districts. I will do my best to sum up these modules below, but I recommend checking the rules.
  • As such, I'm looking for six players, who can ideally check in once per day.
  • PMs or Discord are required so that you can get me your org charts.
  • I am not going to make this a hard rule, but I would advise being familiar with the base game. FCM can be very mean and nasty when it comes to differences in skill level, and this first thread is specifically to play around with the expansion. Beginner-focused games will probably follow after I've messed with the new stuff.
  • Signups will close in 24 hours-ish, and players will be determined by random draw.
  • Audience participation is encouraged, as ever, and given the caveat above I'm going to be extra-ok with people asking why someone might have made a move that they did.
  • Thanks to Bottom Liner for assistance gathering materials. They get a spot grandfathered, if desired.
New Milestones

A pretty self-explanatory module, this switches what some of the milestones do and encourages players to pick either a marketeer, trainer, or recruiter on the first turn to prevent any new players from picking a trap choice on the first turn.

New Districts

Some additional tiles have been included. The buildings numbered Pi and 9-three-quarters are large complexes with many inhabitants. Any marketing that applies to them will apply two demand tokens instead of one, and they have no upper limit on how many demand tokens they can have applied to them. In other respects, they count as a normal house, though one that cannot have a garden. (There is also a rule where mailbox campaigns can trace through one of the apartments, but that's niche.)

Coffee

It is now possible to build coffee shops and generate coffee. Coffee is not a drink and is not sold via demand. Instead, when tracing a route from a house to its destination restaurant, that house will stop at every coffee shop on the way and purchase a coffee from each. Coffee is never purchased from their destination.

This gets more complicated if there are multiple routes available for part of their journey. If there are multiple shortest routes, a house will choose the one with the most coffee on it... but if each route has the same amount of coffee on it, the house will skip those coffee locations for the ambiguous section of the route. This will probably need an illustration to highlight it properly and I expect to screw up here somehow.

Previous Threads

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
This sounds like absolute chaos and I'm in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm in but only if I can be Fried Geese & Donkey

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm in, give me Siap Saji

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I'm in. Very rude of BL to take the donk restaurant :mad:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm in

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm also debating whether to add in the Alternate Reserve cards, since it seems like they would make a lot more difference in 6p than the usual reserve cards. In the old system, players determind how much money was in a second pass of the bank, with the number of CEO slots changing based on how much money they went for. Under the new rules it's always $200, but you choose a base price of $5, $10, or $20.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I almost asked about that. $5 reserves make the game slow down quite a bit, but probably help out RG and trainer openers in the long run.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Stelas posted:

I'm also debating whether to add in the Alternate Reserve cards, since it seems like they would make a lot more difference in 6p than the usual reserve cards. In the old system, players determind how much money was in a second pass of the bank, with the number of CEO slots changing based on how much money they went for. Under the new rules it's always $200, but you choose a base price of $5, $10, or $20.

it has the same net effect with regards to game length but interacts with the new stuff in more interesting ways. I'd say yay to them.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Alternative reserve cards are great.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also yeah new reserve cards are cool and good.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
In, but I think you filled up already, so I guess I'll throw in as a reservist?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

In, but I think you filled up already, so I guess I'll throw in as a reservist?

Always random draw. I just didn't bold it for some reason? Let's do that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If I get placed in the game I demand the Pizza Restaurant.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't played this but you've got me dying to learn more so I skimmed your earlier games of this.

Tentatively throwing my name in the hat, but considering the game's learning curve go ahead and prioritize anybody with experience ahead of me.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

if it's a random draw I'm in. I've played the base game several times, never the expansion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

if it's a random draw I'm in. I've played the base game several times, never the expansion.

I feel like your username gives you an unfair advantage though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

based on my FCM record I need every advantage I can get, unfair or not.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Yours does too!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Start will be a little delayed, work was a bit rough today.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

rchandra posted:

Yours does too!

Only in Roads & Boats, I'm not playing anyway. :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

DogCop is Duck Diner
Bottom Liner is Fried Geese and Donkey
Mr. Squishy is Xango Blues Bar
Gutter Owl is Santa Monica Pizza
Spiggy is Gluttony Burger
Cthulhu Dreams is Siap Saji

Apologies to those who didn't get in, there are definitely going to be more games in the future as I gently caress around with module combinations and I'll bump you guys to the top of the line for the next one.

By popular vote, we will use the new reserve cards. In reverse order (i.e. Cthulhu Dreams first), please nominate your starting location and PM me your Reserve card choice. Unlike the base game this will always be $200, and the CEOs will always be 3 slots - instead, the base price of items will be made either $5, $10, or $20. Remember that your entrance is not allowed to be on the same tile as another player's.

Bank: $300 - Reserve: $200 - Base Price: $10
Milestones | Staff List

Duck Diner (DogCop) - $0 - No Stock
Fried Geese + Donkey (Bottom Liner) - $0 - No Stock
Xango Blues Bar (Mr. Squishy) - $0 - No Stock
Santa Monica Pizza (Gutter Owl) - $0 - No Stock
Gluttony Burger (Spiggy) - $0 - No Stock
Siap Saji (Cthulhu Dreams) - $0 - No Stock

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 13, 2020

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The map is already pushing a couple meg, and my experience with FCM is you get a lot of updates per page. I'm strongly debating upping the quality but halving the dimensions, so 50x50, since the game's not really got a lot of clashing colours.

Does this look noticably worse on mobiles / whatever? Harder to see?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also I'm going to go fix up house 21/22 and house 25 a little, the levels on those tiles are rear end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Small map looks readable on phone and on desktop. Like, they look the same as the big one.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Put me in F14 facing NW scratch that

X14 facing NW

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 12, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh well, I will now roleplay whichever house gets demand first, instead.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll put my entrance in O12 facing SE.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Max posted:

Oh well, I will now roleplay whichever house gets demand first, instead.

I'm just throwing my gooselot in with BL. :honk:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
J12 SW

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

G6 NE

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

F17 SW

Also shouldn’t the bank be $300 with 6?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 12, 2020

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't know what you mean. It's always been $300. (I blinkered on the setup graph, fixed now.)

I'll keep the small map, but if it starts to get rough to read please yell, I'll make sure the .xcf I'm working off is the big version so it can be switched.

Do you mean F17 SE, or E17 SW? There's a map boundary so I'm just double-checking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I just don’t know left from north

F17 facing the apartment!

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I'll set up next to CD with door at AA14

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm just waiting on GO's reserve card at this point, I think.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

DogCop posted:

I'll set up next to CD with door at AA14

gently caress off mate

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I demand Lemonade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the southwest is going to die of thirst, very thematic