Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do we finish this season
Award the title now
No title at all
Playoff tournament
Finish the season at a later date
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
View Results

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
All of our leagues are suspended or outright canceled until further notice. The tables are in chaos, with different leagues having different problems. Liverpool are so close they can taste it. Juve, Inter and Lazio are separated by a games worth of points. Teams are sitting at the bottom of the bottom of the table with the entire futures of their clubs in the balance.

Nobody has decided how to handle this season yet, and it seems like everyone is just hoping for the best; postponing things for a month or two and hoping that everything settles down and they can get back to football without losing too much money.

Italy was the first league to shut down and has made these suggestions so far, but has not adopted any of them officially:

1) End the season now, no champion, no relegation, tough poo poo. European competition spots go to the teams that are in them in the current table.
2) Award the title as it stands.
3) No champion, no relegation, and the teams in the lower leagues get promoted anyway, expanding the league for one season. Next season there are more relegations to balance it back out.
4) Mini playoff tournament between the top four to decide the title.

None of these are particularly satisfying, and I feel that nobody is really properly addressing the relegation/promotion problem. Just last year Serie A was considering REDUCING the number of teams; expanding it would probably be a disaster for the newly promoted teams who would all but certainly just go straight back down, with the big clubs blocking loans because they resent them being there in the first place.

It's all up in the air. Nobody really knows what's going on and it seems almost heartless to be discussing it, but since we have gently caress all to talk about now and weeks of time with our thumbs up our asses sitting at home, lets talk about it. Post your big ideas here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Do the two weeks, see if it gets better or worse.

Since it will get worse, throw out the whole season and hopefully start in August with the same 20 teams in their CL positions from 2019-20.

Might suck for Liverpool but 1) gently caress em and 2) they get the most TV money and a CL place. The teams at the bottom have chances to avoid relegation so they have much more to lose if they are considered relegation worthy.

The only thing Liverpool has to lose in this scenario is the same thing they lose every single year so that’s a typical outcome.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't think you can award the title to Liverpool and not relegate the teams in the relegation zone. I also think it would be grossly unfair to relegate those teams as they still potentially could have climbed out. Honestly, I think the only realistic option would be to void the season.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lemon posted:

I don't think you can award the title to Liverpool and not relegate the teams in the relegation zone. I also think it would be grossly unfair to relegate those teams as they still potentially could have climbed out. Honestly, I think the only realistic option would be to void the season.

How do you do the CL/EL spots then? The CL money is substantial and with the money the teams are set to lose, a very juicy prize.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How do you do the CL/EL spots then? The CL money is substantial and with the money the teams are set to lose, a very juicy prize.

Have a play off with the the top X teams still eligible to qualify mathematically, or, start next season with the last officially to qualify participants from last season.

Quick look around potential/most likely league champions in Europe, I think not having a champion crowned would be the moral thing to do. :hai:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lemon posted:

Like I said in the other thread, I think it's common sense to award the title to Liverpool given their absurd lead, but not to relegate anyone given that it's a much closer battle (and ultimately a much more impactful decision if you did).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Also :golfclap: for title

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Interesting article about the one time this has happened before in Italy, when World War 1 began:

https://www.football-italia.net/151136/genoa-lazio-and-ghost-scudetto

The gist of it is that Lazio were robbed of chance to fight for the title (there was a weird format back then) and Genoa were just automatically awarded it despite doing overall worse in their group and not even playing as many games. Lazio still moan about it to this day. If anything, this shows that you cant just award it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I think if you void the whole season, you have to do them too. I.e the teams in CL/EL spots from the previous season go into the next competitions. Just a complete re-run of this season.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

Like I said in the other thread, I think it's common sense to award the title to Liverpool given their absurd lead, but not to relegate anyone given that it's a much closer battle (and ultimately a much more impactful decision if you did).

The issue with common sense solutions is that everyone has to agree with them, which they won't.

If this route is taken, you can guarantee Leeds would be clamouring over where to draw the line on how many points a team needs to be ahead.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My totally unbiased and uncontroversial opinion is to end the season in any way that prevents a Liverpool side that have been so overwhelmingly dominant to not be able to lift the Premier League trophy.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People are dying.

Void all competitions that have not fulfilled their matches. If a competition requires qualification based on finishing position, refer to 2018-2019.

Competitions should not be cancelled based on other competitions. If it's not okay to play the euros, it is not okay to play the league. If leagues cannot fulfil their fixtures as a result they should be voided.

Chuff McNothing fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 13, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Liverpool haven't won it yet, can't just give them the title unless you follow through with the rest of the things determined by current standings. Either you end the season with current standings or you don't, you can't have it both ways.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

My totally unbiased and uncontroversial opinion is to end the season in any way that prevents a Liverpool side that have been so overwhelmingly dominant to not be able to lift the Premier League trophy and for Leeds to stay in the Championship.

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/Tubs0161/status/1238357255856312320

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It all evens out in the end.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alternatively, award liverpool the league and all three relegations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Let's take Liverpool out of the equation here.

Here is a list of teams that voiding fucks over:

Leicester
Wolves (less so as they would stay in the Europa but they are pushing for CL)
Sheffield Utd
Man Utd

The top 2 teams in the Championship right now and all the others in playoff spots.

Cascading that down to League 1 and 2

Voiding the league is financially catastrophic.

The only fair thing is to delay this season until it's deemed safe and postpone the start of next season.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The football season doesn't even matter any more, just void it. I'm sure fans will be lmaoing at Liverpool for a while about this, but I think as soon as people they know are dead they'll quickly shut the gently caress up about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lemon posted:

The issue with common sense solutions is that everyone has to agree with them, which they won't.

If this route is taken, you can guarantee Leeds would be clamouring over where to draw the line on how many points a team needs to be ahead.

If Leeds argue that being ahead by one point is the same as being ahead by 30 then IMO void Leeds and demolish their stadium

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

Voiding the league is financially catastrophic.

People are dying.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chuff McNothing posted:

People are dying.

People die everyday

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
They also need to extend Chelsea's transfer ban!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chuff McNothing posted:

People are dying.

Well done chucklefuck, and I literally said they shouldn't start again until it's safe. I'm not saying that finance is more important than human lives are.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shrapnig posted:

People die everyday

Allow me to quote Jurgen Klopp

"If doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

"If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t."

CyberPingu posted:

Well done chucklefuck, and I literally said they shouldn't start again until it's safe. I'm not saying that finance is more important than human lives are.

So you agree; we just void the league and pick up with the new one when it's safe to do so.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Put liverpool down as ending the season at #1 but with a big fat asterisk saying title given for points at time of league abandonment but no clear winner.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

brocked posted:

:hmmyes:

e: Just, anyway

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The sensible thing is to play the league out as soon as possible, then make changes to next season to shorten it to accommodate whatever you come up with. That way everyone starts the hosed up season knowing what the deal is and can't complain when they get relegated after 28 games.

The comedy option is to do whatever means Liverpool aren't considered champions, and this is naturally the option I will always favour #VoidTheLeague

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

brocked posted:

no we might have to replace CHOrona soon

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chuff McNothing posted:

"If doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

"If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t."

So you agree; we just void the league and pick up with the new one when it's safe to do so.

Why does it make sense to void it when you can just postpone it until it's safe?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Why does it make sense to void it when you can just postpone it until it's safe?

When do you propose postponing it until?

"Until it's safe" could easily be past the summer.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Chuff McNothing posted:

My grandad had a heart attack after a Liverpool goal so agreed, cancel Liverpool Football Club for public health reasons

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Because we're not talking 3 weeks or whatever. This is going to be a thing for a long time.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

We should postpone the start of next season until its safe yes. Trying to finish this season will cause at least one more person to become more unhealthy than cancelling it, and that's not acceptable according to Liverpool Football Club.

Chuff McNothing fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 13, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

Because we're not talking 3 weeks or whatever. This is going to be a thing for a long time.

Yeah I'm not talking 3 weeks either.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

The year is 2033 and the few remaining Liverpool fans are demanding the resumption of the 2019-2020 Premier League season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

hadji murad posted:

The year is 2033 and the few remaining Liverpool fans are demanding the resumption of the 2019-2020 Premier League season.

Voiding the season fucks over more teams worse than it fucks Liverpool over.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CyberPingu posted:

people are dying

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Just as a reference, and this is now an article thats about a month old so I don't know how well it matches up with the current progression of COVID, but here is a model predicting that the peak of the virus will be sometime in June but could be much later (and should be given that the aim is to widen the peak as much as possible) given intervention: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022566v1

I think the idea of anything getting resolved over this summer is a little fanciful.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chuff McNothing posted:

people are dying

And how does voiding the season stop that exactly?

Tell me how the FA saying right now that voiding the season stops people dying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

but helps keep public safety and health

makes you think