Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

There is no social unrest, pandemic, or concern for player saftey which will stand in the way of CONMEBOL lining their pockets with sponsor cash, so welcome to the Copa América 2021 Colombia Argentina Brazil thread.

Enjoy 28 matches in 27 days between June 13th and July 10th. The tournament was moved to Brazil at the last moment, and in spite of rumors that the main teams might boycott the tournament, most are turning up with their full-strength squads. All of this is irrelevant, as Brasil will handily win the tournament.

The host cities are Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Goiânia, and Cuiabá. Due to COVID-19, the tradition of inviting two teams to participate was thrown out the window, and so the 10 teams have been split into 2 groups of 5. This means 20 matches will be disputed in order to determine which 2 teams won’t advance to the next round. A very important stage to be sure.

Group A:
Argentina
Bolivia
Chile
Paraguay
Uruguay

Group B:
Brazil
Colombia
Ecuador
Peru
Venezuela

- Here is all you need to know about these countries. Adopt your third-world country to root for now, before the tournament starts -

Argentina: In theory good, but will surely underperform. This tournament is one of Messi’s last chances to win an international trophy, but they’ll find a way to gently caress it up. In the recent WC Qualifiers, Argentina had 2 draws against opposition they should be smashing. How the hell is Scaloni still manager??? Do Argentinians like him?

Bolivia: Bad. One of their players is from Deportes Melipilla for gently caress sakes. Cool and good Chumacero isn’t even going because my team got him injured. Also, as of today they have 5 confirmed COVID-positive players.

Brazil: Good. They will win the tournament. There were questions if they would even turn up for the tournament, but in fact their team is full strength, and will clown this tournament easily. :siren:Tragically, Fagner has not been called up:siren:

Chile: Bad. This the last chance for Chile’s golden generation to shine, as they sure as hell aren’t going to qualify for Qatar 2022. They are going to be blooding a decent number of youth players (Keep an eye on Carlos Palacios who definitely will not embarrass me for hyping him). Alexis Sánchez is out for at least the group stages, and new manager Lasarte has not impressed in the few games played, meaning the risk of not exiting the group is more real than ever.

Colombia: Mostly bad. The team is composed of a set of recognizable players for fans of European football, but Colombia always seems to achieve less than their perpetual dark-horse status hoists on them.

Ecuador: Maybe okay? They’re usually dogshit, but Gustavo Alfaro has them high in the qualifications for Qatar 2022, so they might make a surprisingly deep run. Or they might return to the mean and be complete poo poo.

Paraguay: Bad. Ask any Newcastle fan how good it is to depend on Almirón for goals. My pick to not leave group A, even if the obvious choice would be Bolivia

Peru: Decent. Their last few years under Gareca have been some of their best, with a final in the last Copa América and a World Cup appearance to show for it. I see no reason for them to not do similarly well at this tournament. Cool boy Christian Cueva will make approximately 1000 assists

Uruguay: Good (If Polidoro is still around, he’ll say they’re poo poo). They won’t win, but they’ll make a deep run. This is probably one of the last times Uruguay can reliably depend on some of their biggest names like Godín, Suárez, Calvani, etc. Team most likely to do a racism

Venezuela: Bad. Their squad has been decimated by COVID-19, with 12 players confirmed positive. Their chances of exiting group B are slim, but I hope to see my favorite midget Soteldo in the knock-out stages anyway.

Redczar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great summary, thanks OP. I'm surprised more teams don't have players out for COVID, particularly Brazil.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Proper tournament here. No opening ceremony or tiny cars

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Or fans

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Anything less than a 3-0 over Venezuela is a failure.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Third of the way there lol

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Two thirds now.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Max Coveri posted:

Anything less than a 3-0 over Venezuela is a failure.

Waiting to see if this comes true is the only entertaining thing about this match.

Before the penalty, it was wondering if Venezuela could scrape a draw

e: there it is

Redczar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 13, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Neymar went and scored with his chest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I’m unironically glad that Gabigol has revitalized his career since leaving europe. Seemed a good lad who meant well.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gigi Galli posted:

I’m unironically glad that Gabigol has revitalized his career since leaving europe. Seemed a good lad who meant well.

It's a drat shame he's playing for the least likeable club in Série A.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Max Coveri posted:

It's a drat shame he's playing for the least likeable club in Série A.

He’s just continuing his streak of playing for the least likeable club in all of the worlds Serie A’s.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

He’s just continuing his streak of playing for the least likeable club in all of the worlds Serie A’s.

:emptyquote:

E: oh wait, actually I do want to comment that I believe the correct term is "Series A"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd like peru to win this and solano to celebrate by breaking lockdown to attend another orgy

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
good game please

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

this lionel fellow seems good

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Good free kick that.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
very entertaining that

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I did not think I'd be watching a competitive match featuring Lionel Messi, Angel Di Maria, Arturo Vidal and Blackburn Rovers superstar Ben Brereton Diaz this summer

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

He's the future of Chile OP

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
That match was peak CONMEBOL, love it

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol at the 9 minutes of stoppage and VAR so that Argentina could take a bad corner.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I’m feeling a Bolivia win here

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Enjoying how violent this game has been

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
poor Bolivia, it was inevitable playing with ten

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Time to root for one of my best teams

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Day 3 of the copa and we are up to 52 cases of covid linked to the event, with infections in the delegations of Peru and Colombia joining the outbreaks in the Venezuelan and Bolivian squads. (Link in Portuguese)

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

watch Big Bolso yap about "it's a 2% death rate bah bah bah they should've taken hydroxicloroquine weh weh face death like a man"

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Lol that the galaxy-brain play of calling up Ben Brerererereton is actually paying off

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Was there a Covid outbreak in the thread? Currently Racists 1 - 1 Chile

EDIT: Kick Anglicized names out of CONMEBOL :hai:

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 21, 2021

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Uruguay has been incredibly disappointing so far. Take Suárez, Cavani and Tabárez out back already and end their misery

Anyway, with this draw, Chile’s already classified to the next round.

Moktaro posted:

EDIT: Kick Anglicized names out of CONMEBOL :hai:

Does this include names like Bráyathan, Jhonny or Wisin?

Redczar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 22, 2021

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

xG reference, take a drink.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Argentina’s lucky to have got a goal before they started playing like absolute poo poo

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Owen Goal strikes again...offside?

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

lol (?)
edit: lol Argentina

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

If Paraguay want a goal, and they insist on crosses, they might want to consider having more than one guy in the box, just a thought

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Argentina are insanely bad for how much individual talent they have. If Almiron had someone else to help him offensively Paraguay would have a few goals by now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Argentina is actually good and they're winning it all.

Maybe.

probably not.

but maybe

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Worst match of the tournament so far

Every team on this continent except Brazil is so bad lol, the World Cup is going to be beyond embarrassing for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
:laffo: own goal by Peru