Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
libir hajek is worse than jack Johnson.

poor Kravvy. i would have just put him on the fourth line and carried him. it's not like we need the space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Starsfan posted:

the Kraken got the goaltending though, which is why they will probably make the playoffs and the Stars will probably not.

The Kraken will probably make the playoffs because the Pacific is laughably bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DJExile posted:

If you thought the 2019 Craig Berube Blues weren't low-event enough you are going to loving LOVE Hakstol's Kraken, they are going to grind the poo poo out of opponents and also themselves.

I'm just here for the endless Sisyphean right-point power play bombs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/chaostiktoks/status/1365013000348925958

Kravtsov is really not handling this well :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

The Kraken will probably make the playoffs because the Pacific is laughably bad.

it's this, yeah. They'd have to try really loving hard to be worse than third in that division

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Levitate posted:

Yeah. The flip side to that of course is that there likely would have been a good chance for Kravtsov to really seize a top spot and keep it if/when Blais gets hurt.

So IDK who/what the Ranger lines are so I swiped this from Blueshirt Banter.

Laf – Zib – Kreider
Panarin – Strome – Kakko
Blais – Chytil – Goodrow
Hunt – Rooney – Reaves

You dump Reaves, Goodrow down, and play Kravtsov there. However, I can see this as being extremely problematic from a deployment perspective. None of those first 3 lines are going to be ones you deploy in the defensive zone. Chytil and Strome are both 55%+ Offensive zone starters and Zib at worst has been a 50/50 split. Maybe you think about setting Zib's line up as the 'shutdown' line and then go all offense on line 2 and 3 with the 4th line as your cratered in the D zone line too?

Of course all of this assumes Krav is worth trying to fit into the lineup. Seems to be a pretty unbalanced line up either way. That said you are definitely better without Reaves in the line up sooooooooo :shrug:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So IDK who/what the Ranger lines are so I swiped this from Blueshirt Banter.

Laf – Zib – Kreider
Panarin – Strome – Kakko
Blais – Chytil – Goodrow
Hunt – Rooney – Reaves

You dump Reaves, Goodrow down, and play Kravtsov there. However, I can see this as being extremely problematic from a deployment perspective. None of those first 3 lines are going to be ones you deploy in the defensive zone. Chytil and Strome are both 55%+ Offensive zone starters and Zib at worst has been a 50/50 split. Maybe you think about setting Zib's line up as the 'shutdown' line and then go all offense on line 2 and 3 with the 4th line as your cratered in the D zone line too?

Of course all of this assumes Krav is worth trying to fit into the lineup. Seems to be a pretty unbalanced line up either way. That said you are definitely better without Reaves in the line up sooooooooo :shrug:

I mean originally it was:

Goodrow-Chytil-Kravtsov
Blais-Rooney-Reaves

Two things happened in that Blais outplayed Kravtsov, and the Rangers/Gallant really want that fourth line to not just be a dumping ground fourth line but one that plays physical and heavy and in your face, which is not Kravtsov.

I think ultimately there's no exact "third line defensive line"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yeah I couldn't come up with a decent way to balance it out between top line is a shutdown line and then 2nd and 3rd line get offensive starts all the time and 4th line stays an energy/defensive deployment line that's vaguely responsible.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1447985082770149378?t=CTaS3VoAEupbGM3M_ylPQg&s=19

Season hasn't even started and we're out MacKinnon, and added JMFJ.

Kill me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The idea of a shutdown line seems like a pretty antiquated notion. If you structure a line to have to play on its heels to be effective that's what it'll do
If you have the talent to run more scoring lines why would you not do that? I mean Chytil is not a shutdown center, Rooney sure as poo poo gets eaten alive... looking at the stats, Goodrow is the only guy in that bottom 6 that even fits the mold of a suppression forward so it just seems like a mistake trying to build that line with the team composition what it is, it's doomed to fail

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Protecting a one goal lead by turning it into a two goal lead is not the worst strategy when those are the kinds of players you mostly have.

At least in the regular season. When the playoffs begin and the refs lose their whistles, it becomes problematic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1447985082770149378?t=CTaS3VoAEupbGM3M_ylPQg&s=19

Season hasn't even started and we're out MacKinnon, and added JMFJ.

Kill me.

You could run the Colorado Eagles against Chicago and be fine, and St. Louis doesn't exactly look like a world beater.

E: Oh drat, Avs/Panthers next week is some appointment watching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's so loving dumb that there are teams that don't play till 3 full days after the season starts. NHL schedule makers are the worst.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chia's Son has been signed

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1447991251119267843

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The idea of a shutdown line seems like a pretty antiquated notion. If you structure a line to have to play on its heels to be effective that's what it'll do
If you have the talent to run more scoring lines why would you not do that? I mean Chytil is not a shutdown center, Rooney sure as poo poo gets eaten alive... looking at the stats, Goodrow is the only guy in that bottom 6 that even fits the mold of a suppression forward so it just seems like a mistake trying to build that line with the team composition what it is, it's doomed to fail

Line you match up against the other teams high powered offensive threats and try to stymie them by getting zone exits and forcing them to play in their zone. Sort of like Danault or Couturier lines can do. Then using the young guns to trying and go eat lesser competition alive. Unfortunately for the Rangers it would mean sacrificing Zib/Kreider in that role (probably? of the players they have available) and then...idk? Panarin would be a complete waste there so you're either using a much younger player not suited to it or Goodrow. But that doesn't fix the 'Scratch Reaves and play........? who is a defensively responsible and capable player in the bottom 6' problem either.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Line you match up against the other teams high powered offensive threats and try to stymie them by getting zone exits and forcing them to play in their zone. Sort of like Danault or Couturier lines can do. Then using the young guns to trying and go eat lesser competition alive. Unfortunately for the Rangers it would mean sacrificing Zib/Kreider in that role (probably? of the players they have available) and then...idk? Panarin would be a complete waste there so you're either using a much younger player not suited to it or Goodrow. But that doesn't fix the 'Scratch Reaves and play........? who is a defensively responsible and capable player in the bottom 6' problem either.

The difference is that Danault and Couturier are elite chance suppressors and 1st (or at least 2nd) line centers in their own right. They're not just out there to chew minutes. Rooney is absolutely just a complete liability and Chytil is good at scoring chances not stopping them so forcing him to play the role he's bad at is going to reduce the thing he's good at and expose him also as a liability so instead of 3 good lines and a lovely one you've got 2 good ones, one full of frustrated players trying to do stuff they're bad at, and a lovely one

Just have the 3 good lines

grack
Jan 10, 2012

One year at league minimum. That's fine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

One year at league minimum. That's fine.

Signing vets to one year deals that can be buried in the minors with no cap penalty are always a good idea. There's nothing wrong with this signing. If he doesn't work out you send him to Abbotsford and if things go super well you flip him for a 6th at the deadline.

Just don't be stupid enough to think a 5 goal February means he's deserving of a 2 year $1.7m per extension.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The difference is that Danault and Couturier are elite chance suppressors and 1st (or at least 2nd) line centers in their own right. They're not just out there to chew minutes. Rooney is absolutely just a complete liability and Chytil is good at scoring chances not stopping them so forcing him to play the role he's bad at is going to reduce the thing he's good at and expose him also as a liability so instead of 3 good lines and a lovely one you've got 2 good ones, one full of frustrated players trying to do stuff they're bad at, and a lovely one

Yeah pretty much, it also seems like the idea of a "shutdown grind line" isn't really that smart anymore because if you're trying to match them up against another teams top line then you have mediocre offensive palyers out tthere a lot trying to stop another teams offense rather than your own best players out there trying to score a lot.

At any rate, yeah just roll three good lines, fourth line is basically to get sent out occasionally and blow up some people with checks I guess

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Just don't be stupid enough to think a 5 goal February means he's deserving of a 2 year $1.7m per extension.

This is Jim Benning we're talking about. If Benning's still here in the offseason there's like an 80%+ chance of this happening.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

quote:

At the end of last season, Kravtsov had a contentious exit-meeting with Rangers management. Much of the strained discussion zeroed in on the way No. 74 trains in the offseason, which left Kravtsov thinking he was going to be traded. Kravtsov decided to fire his agent, Paul Theofanous, and hired new representation in Dan Milstein amid issues with Rangers brass.

Additionally, Kravtsov believed he should’ve been in the top six when he was first recalled to the Rangers last season. Kravtsov bounced around the lineup throughout the 20 games he played in 2020-21, including a lengthy stretch on the fourth line.

:psyduck:

https://nypost.com/2021/10/12/rangers-could-trade-vitali-kravtsov-with-tensions-rising-over-demotion/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I predict the Kraken will finish fourth in the Pacific Division.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

If you thought the 2019 Craig Berube Blues weren't low-event enough you are going to loving LOVE Hakstol's Kraken, they are going to grind the poo poo out of opponents and also themselves.

And also the fan base. But most of them won't know they're being given bad, boring, low chance hockey until they only beat Buffalo 1-0 on a Friday night in November. Then the questions will begin. "What do you mean they can only stick one goal up on one of the teams that's supposed to be the worst? Does that mean the Kraken aren't really that good?"

To which I will answer, "They're just boring because they hired Hakstol. #hackstolout"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mcmagic posted:

It's so loving dumb that there are teams that don't play till 3 full days after the season starts. NHL schedule makers are the worst.

Boston's season doesn't start until loving Saturday

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

dew worm posted:

Rangers don't have a great track record here either, it's looking like Lias Andersson all over again.

Except now I'm feeling sick because we let the Islanders draft Wahlstrom over him.

Noah Dobson too!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

And also the fan base. But most of them won't know they're being given bad, boring, low chance hockey until they only beat Buffalo 1-0 on a Friday night in November. Then the questions will begin. "What do you mean they can only stick one goal up on one of the teams that's supposed to be the worst? Does that mean the Kraken aren't really that good?"

To which I will answer, "They're just boring because they hired Hakstol. #hackstolout"

Yes, absolutely every Kraken fan is completely brand new to the sport and they're all complete morons.

Also the Kraken are going to be boring because the entire roster is made up of 4th line grinders. Yeah, hiring Hakstol doesn't help but it's not going to much matter who's behind that bench right now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

To be fair, Quinns whole "rookies go on the fourth line and earn your way up" schtick was pretty loving stupid. I'm not excusing Kravtsovs behavior here but I get it. This is just dumb all around the more that comes out.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I just hope it means ticket prices go down

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NYR front office had one good moment and that was “the letter” and everything since then has been a series of increasingly stupid decisions.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Eric the Mauve posted:

Protecting a one goal lead by turning it into a two goal lead is not the worst strategy when those are the kinds of players you mostly have.

At least in the regular season. When the playoffs begin and the refs lose their whistles, it becomes problematic.
Oy, tell me about it :suicide:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

To be fair, Quinns whole "rookies go on the fourth line and earn your way up" schtick was pretty loving stupid. I'm not excusing Kravtsovs behavior here but I get it. This is just dumb all around the more that comes out.

Yeah I mean on the other hand the F's in front of him were Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Buchnevich, Lafreniere, and Blackwell who Panarin requested be on his line, Quinn was riding his vets to try to squeek into the playoffs, and gifting a rookie top six minutes in that situation was probably not in the cards
It always seemed to me more like a "here's some minutes to get a sense of the NHL so you'll be ready for next season" kinda deal but I guess Kravtsov didn't feel that way

WeaponX posted:

NYR front office had one good moment and that was “the letter” and everything since then has been a series of increasingly stupid decisions.

this too. Ugh, it seemed like we had a good stable front office especially after hiring JD and then what the ever loving gently caress. On the other hand I think we're seeing some of the mistakes of the previous front office come to light as well

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 12, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Iodised QQ posted:

Noah Dobson too!

I mean the Rangers drafted Lundkvist later in that draft and entirely possible he's better than Dobson

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I asked this same question with the old nhl.tv, but with the switch to ESPN+ is there a way to hide scores so I'm not spoiled when I stream a game on delay? My kids usually don't go to bed until like 8pm so I'm usually going to miss the first period of 7pm starts and I'd like to watch Capitals games unspoiled.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone told me lazyman is back, if true, if you're paying for espn+ already then just stream on a superior platform and don't feel bad about it imo.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
From the latest 32 Thoughts:

quote:

Bettman said Tuesday on ESPN Radio’s Keyshawn Johnson, Max Kellerman and Jay Williams morning show that “only four players” on NHL Opening Day rosters are not vaccinated.

Do we know who these players are? I assume Blackwood is one, but all the other unvaccinated players I’ve heard of either got banished to Europe or the AHL or just were left off the rosters.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Levitate posted:

Yeah pretty much, it also seems like the idea of a "shutdown grind line" isn't really that smart anymore because if you're trying to match them up against another teams top line then you have mediocre offensive palyers out tthere a lot trying to stop another teams offense rather than your own best players out there trying to score a lot.

At any rate, yeah just roll three good lines, fourth line is basically to get sent out occasionally and blow up some people with checks I guess

I'm not saying this is something the Rangers should do. At all. I was really really trying to figure out if there was spot/possibility to re-jig things and still have a reasonably balanced line up and outside of putting Goodrow on the 4th line, demoting reaves, and putting Krav on the 3rd line the answer is very much a resounding NOPE! Of course I post it and bounce it off to see what sticks...which in this case is obviously nothing.

I'm guessing Zib's line gets 50/50 zone splits Rooney's line gets caved in constantly with a 65% D zone split and the other two lines get neutral/offensive zone starts. Though Goodrow being on the 3rd line could mean more D zone split? I kinda forget how Gallant handled things in Vegas tbh.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Yes, absolutely every Kraken fan is completely brand new to the sport and they're all complete morons.

Also the Kraken are going to be boring because the entire roster is made up of 4th line grinders. Yeah, hiring Hakstol doesn't help but it's not going to much matter who's behind that bench right now.

Not all of them, but it's about 50:50 which sort I run into. I don't know if my odds are off because we're just around hockey people a lot, but there are absolutely a bunch of new Kraken fans who have very little knowledge about the sport and I run into them often.

There's a frightening number of people who will just go to the grocery store in three layers of Kraken merch though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm not saying this is something the Rangers should do. At all. I was really really trying to figure out if there was spot/possibility to re-jig things and still have a reasonably balanced line up and outside of putting Goodrow on the 4th line, demoting reaves, and putting Krav on the 3rd line the answer is very much a resounding NOPE! Of course I post it and bounce it off to see what sticks...which in this case is obviously nothing.

I'm guessing Zib's line gets 50/50 zone splits Rooney's line gets caved in constantly with a 65% D zone split and the other two lines get neutral/offensive zone starts. Though Goodrow being on the 3rd line could mean more D zone split? I kinda forget how Gallant handled things in Vegas tbh.

no idea really, I think he rolls lines but probably means more top 3 lines get most icetime, 4th line gets spot duty

Frank Severelle dropping hints that teammates thought Kravtsov was really skilled but a bit of a floater and lacked the work ethic for the NHL

Whole thing is either knives out for the guy or just bad draft pick

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

From the latest 32 Thoughts:

Do we know who these players are? I assume Blackwood is one, but all the other unvaccinated players I’ve heard of either got banished to Europe or the AHL or just were left off the rosters.

Bertuzzi is another confirmed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Someone told me lazyman is back, if true, if you're paying for espn+ already then just stream on a superior platform and don't feel bad about it imo.

Is this something easy to do? I just want to watch games on my big tee vee while sitting on my comfy couch.