Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Good sir, choosing whether to blindly run directly into enemy fire or not is a decision of the utmost importance. What kind of dishonorable coward would we be if we picked the other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
What I do remember is that if you pick assault in the center and they pick ambush, you're screwed, no matter the number of forces involved.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChocolatePancake posted:

What I do remember is that if you pick assault in the center and they pick ambush, you're screwed, no matter the number of forces involved.

Please stop predicting extremely near-future events. That's twice now.

Also have a link to our glorious list of dead captured Generals

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Update 3 - They'll Never Expect It (They Did)

Yes, more infighting!

Yes, please.

Spanish has been MVP this game, so far, constantly being an rear end in a top hat and ruining France/Britain's days. (Those 49 units drop to 20 thanks to not having a General.

And they, in turn, beat on the Ottomans.

ChocolatePancake posted:

Oh man I played so much of this game when I was a kid. So many good memories. If I recall correctly, anytime the AI proposes you an alliance, you can renegotiate to any number of turns you want and they'll always accept.
I always just picked random cards on attack because it never seemed to matter much.

Stop asking, France, it ain't happening!

poo poo.

Current treaties. Russia being an absolute jerk. Schwarzenberg will get his day with them! (Once France is not such a jerk)

Trade in cards, get 66 army, use to melt faces...

Most go to newly-hired General Pittoni (Rocket Baby Dolls). Let's try to kill some

For gently caress sakes...

General Quasadanovitch fares better.

The Archduke with a pair of victories.

40 reinforcements guaranteed next turn... Maybe that's where a dead General's troops go? :iiam:

Lol nerd.

Fighting a constant uphill battle.

Speaking of...

:sigh: Not much to do but suffer, hope they overextended, fight back.

Lost Paris, but it cost them a General, troops, and precious forts that they will have to repair.

Ottomans punch down at some rebels.

Yes... good... gooooood.

:rip: Sweden. :(

:( :( :(

Oh, hello there. How's things?

Well... this is awkward.

:ohdear:

:rip:

After this update, no more futsing with AI Alliances. Either take what they give you or refuse.

Spain continues to slap people down.

Treaties.

We must retake Paris!!! :orc101:

SON OF A BITCH.

It doesn't work.

General Stutterheim (New Hire) gets a victory in Austria for us. Low level Generals have few options, and I'm surprised this one worked.

General Quasdanovitch (FoolyCharged) may have been repulsed, but Capturing General Reille adds an extra 16 to the kill count.

Butts, no hand to make here. Also we have like 13 soldiers we could exchange with France, but you don't get to choose whether you trade Generals or not, so I refuse.

Eat a dick, England.

:eyepop: That's a big army.

Yes/No

:rip: General Del Parque, your faithful servant...

No/Yes

General Haddick (New Hire) is sent to replace Archduke Charles' command, takes out a French territory.

General Stutterheim follows in the same spirit of battle as General Pittoni (Captured be his name), conquers Bosnia.

Follows it with taking over Carniola as well.

We're getting closer to controlling Austria...

A joker, guaranteeing card turn in next turn AND some rebels to pester the French. Sweet.

Oof.

New turn, an alliance with the Arab alliance, and 94 units to place! Woo!

PARIS SHALL BE MINE! (Again!)

Kerblammo! Paris retaken.

General Quasdanovitch! :argh:

Territorial gains in France and Austria, despite the loss in Austria.

Wait... why the hell do I have 8 cards? Did I get it wrong and taking over a capital ALWAYS steals their hand of cards?! I'm basically guaranteed 150+ reinforcements next card drop. Oh and I have like 41 reinforcements waiting already :lol:

Russia continues to do nothing.

French get owned by Rebels.

Oh gently caress the French are attacking my unmanned Forts in France poo poo uhhhhh RANDOM CARD!

:stonklol: Add 29 kills to this. Why?

Because mountain terrain has a max of 10 units without a General :laffo:

The game pities the French and gives them a freebie.

Lol the French keep taking L's against the Spanish.

Ok seriously France give up this is embarrassing.

Lmao. If I haven't mentioned it before, you can only ever attack a maximum of three times from one territory to another, France got rolled here.

Yo what the hell, Russia? I thought we had a thing where you just ignore me.

Pffffffffffffffff!

Yay Rebels!

Yikes. That's a lot of reinforcements...

Card turn in for 2 sets next turn is 198

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009
Have a quarter century-old manual:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IceMole posted:

MVP. You have anything I could gift you or a list of things I could choose from as a thanks?

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009
Eh, I don't really need anything.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Oh god, I used to play the hell out of this game as a kid. I think I still have its CD packed somewhere too.

I do wish there was some way to make sense of how the tactics cards worked. For the most part, they make sense Defending a flank when the attack is attacking it for instance tends to cause disproportionate damage to them but not always. What is really frustrating is there is no real way to figure out how the advanced tactics seem to play off each other. It doesn't help that there still seems to be some form of RNG and dice rolling going on even with the cards so you can't really test results easily.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IceMole posted:

:5:

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
For some reason I'm having a hard time keeping track of which faction is which color. I'm going to chalk that up to my lack of knowledge about flags and general idiocy.

Speaking of generals, if you need more I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Attack only with superior numbers
offense: 3
defense: 4
Specialty: Defend both flanks, a double fakeout is always the safest option, clearly.
Play it safe, but not too safe.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I see that my complete lack of strategy didn't go as I had strategised.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tatters posted:

For some reason I'm having a hard time keeping track of which faction is which color. I'm going to chalk that up to my lack of knowledge about flags and general idiocy.

Speaking of generals, if you need more I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Attack only with superior numbers
offense: 3
defense: 4
Specialty: Defend both flanks, a double fakeout is always the safest option, clearly.
Play it safe, but not too safe.

There is always a need for more Generals. I'm basically just rotatinf people in and out. If you die during a turn I wont immediately replace you until the next update, so more people get subbed in. Also, if you change your mind about your first choice(s), I'm totally fine with people changing their "stats" for their next try.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I will also be a general!

attack and defense: Jobbo'a ChoiceTM
specialty: ABF, Always Be Flankin'

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Love this golden oldie so I might as well join in.

Offense/Defense: Jobbo's Choice
Specialty: Ambush, because it works

The increasing card set value option was also the only way to play, because gently caress the AIs and 'balanced' gameplay I am here to CRUSH and watch the enemy troops fall over/get exploded in the magnificent battle boxes.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I always wondered how a general managed to get captured in a successful attack.
I'll throw my hat into the general ring as well:

Aggressiveness: All out attack always, no matter the odds.
Tactics: FNITTHOTC

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Update 4 - We're going to need bigger prisons

The Fronch and the Brats poke the Russian bear. The Ottomans are getting comfy in the Balkans. Spain has seen better days.

198 units to apply to our armies! YES! YEEEES!

So much power, so much raw strength!

General Haddick opens up the fight by attacking into Champagne, killing a General in the process. Haddick is basically just going to be a nuisance for as long as possible.

Easy-Peasy Lemon Meringue Pie

An ambush goes well for General Stutterheim, though I wish there'd be more losses.

An attack in Echelon later and I lost some 20 units. :sigh: I should also mention that losing a battle can actually demote a General.

General Quasdanovitch with the extremely good play here. :vince:

gently caress!

General Kray, a new hire (Tatters) is going to try and make up for it with... poo poo, wait, that's the wrong move... I read my spreadsheet wrong!

A good result, though I think defense on both flanks might've worked out really well here.

General Schwarzenberg (Jossar) with the great move, capturing some forts for a good foothold into Russian territory.

So many prisoners! :yeshaha:

:(

Some more losses on the map.

Good!

Getting the Ottomans off my back so I can deal with France for a little bit.

General Stutterheim continues the good work in western Austria.

Pestering the French in Berry from Paris.

General Kray (Tatter) gets proper orders and wastes the poor bastards.

A trio of infantry cards and like... 76 French Prisoners?! :lol:

Ally with the French (again), beat up on the Russians (again).

Poor Spain, getting beat down by the Ottomans :(.

Securing the far right side of the map for some bonus troops next turn.

The streak for Spain is ending real quick...

Russia getting dunked on some more.

Ottomans and Russians trading blows consistently, I only wish Russia would display this aggression against France as well.

Spain noooooooo! :(

120 more troops!

Decisions, decisions...

Venice is captured, this will further hurt French reinforcement numbers.

General Alvintzi (Slaan #2) reconquers more Austria for us!

Again I messed up General Kray's orders. Sorry!

More pestering in France.

88 French Troops waiting the eventual downfall of their leader.

Even the English now?! God drat.

Emperor versus Czar | 1-0

Bopped.

Alright almost 2-1 odds in favor of the French. Might as well pick random!

:aaaaa:

The Brits copy us, and, hey, at least its a dead General!

Bonaparte? BONAPARTE?!

NON!

Lol eat it Duke of York.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
More Tactics

D1

Rarely seen, rarely used. It can surprisingly be effective. I think it allows a higher chance of evading capture if you lose. :shrug:

D2

Tried and tested, Defensive Position is for those who prefer to simply wait and see what comes to them.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Seems like it's really hard to knock the human player out for good if they know what they're doing, or is that just because France keeps messing around?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jossar posted:

Seems like it's really hard to knock the human player out for good if they know what they're doing, or is that just because France keeps messing around?

Honestly its a little bit of both. I'm not playing on hard because that'd just be a nightmare as Austria, same thing for Sweden/Spain. There's been a modest locked position regarding France/Russia that is keeping them occupied but unmoving.

If there's anything to point out, its that the tactic of "raiding" a nation's back line is something that needs to be done quickly. Without touching France early and often, they'd simply have every province at max capacity, churning through attackers before Generals can be free-moved into place.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'd like to add myself as a general sir! Ambush the enemy when they think we're down and out!

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
I'mma be real, showing up suddenly and winning by loving up which order to give IS a very me thing to do. Maybe fate guided your hand and it wasn't a misclick after all.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i wish i still has this game. i indeed had a CDROM copy back in the day and played it to hell. but i lent it to a friend and it never came back. that and a copy of Axis and Allies. friend couldnt find it for several months then when i was at their place claimed it was theirs, the fucker. tried to do the same with my copy of Ocarina of Time... managed to get that one back because my name was in the save files.

i stopped being friensa with that person at thay point.

what i am saying is Risk ruins friendships.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Update 5 - Please just work, and leave me alone.

No one wants to be my friend :(

Ok General Schwarzenberg (Jossar), you MUST succeed here.

gently caress!

WHAT?! But.... HOW?! :psyduck:

General Kray (Tatters) is successful in Southern Prussia.

General Alvintzi (Slaan) with a pair of victories as well.

:sigh: This one really hurt.

:argh:

Some territorial concessions are made due to overwhelming firepower, but otherwise a quiet end to the turn.

The Big Blue Blob continues to be a threat.

Russia only hates the Turks, apparently.

Good night, sweet prince. :(

Non.

:smuggo: Sally.

General Bellegarde (Ignatius M. Meen) with the luck of the draw.

General Kray with the double flank defense is halted, but the loss of a French General significantly hurts them in this area. (Pomerania)

More men to the national prisons!

Sometimes you target a hex because the surrounding ones don't have any "space" left, so anyone retreating must surrender.

Slaan notches another victory on their belt.

We're getting there, eventually.

I really don't know why I tried to evacuate a bunch this go-around, I should've been defending.

Hursit Ahmed killing another(?) Russian General.

Easy come, easy go.

So many reinforcements for France... still.

Trust me, this is a tactical decision.

General Sebottendorf (ChocolatePancake) immediately disappointing high command.

:pray: Please work. If Sebottendorf had won earlier, this come mean we control all of Austria!

Not sure how they survived so well, but a dead General is worth it.

General Kray with the easy dunk on some English bast~

... *solemnly edits the spreadsheet*

I just love seeing so many POWs

A valiant effort by [RANDOM CARD]

Sebottendorf with the random defense, inflicting 4 casualties against 3 losses.

You've redeemed yourself, for now.

I'm trying very hard to get all of Austria and not lose some territories to France's 96-strong army up there...

OK, try #2, buddy. No need to rush things or whatever...

:sigh:

Somehow. SOMEHOW, this didn't kill everyone in the stack, but I was so stunned that I forgot to screenshot the results.

General Schwarzenberg with what looks like a layup. Nothing could go wrong he~

Who did I offend? What line of code did I hurt?

I've got enough for a hand, but I'm going to bank it for now.

A costly victory.

Leave me alone, Ottoman scum!

Already lost the mountains, now they are just rubbing it in.

Damnit...

Go away!

Good.

Sure, I'll take what I can get.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sally posted:

i wish i still has this game. i indeed had a CDROM copy back in the day and played it to hell. but i lent it to a friend and it never came back. that and a copy of Axis and Allies. friend couldnt find it for several months then when i was at their place claimed it was theirs, the fucker. tried to do the same with my copy of Ocarina of Time... managed to get that one back because my name was in the save files.

i stopped being friensa with that person at thay point.

what i am saying is Risk ruins friendships.

That's rough dude, sorry to hear that :(

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The cards giveth minions and the random code taketh generals away :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

This adaptation of risk has a lot of general mayhem in it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

This adaptation of risk has a lot of general mayhem in it

This is why this is the best version of risk.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man, that's a lot of generals dead/captured. You're going to run out of nobility if you keep this up!

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
So, wait a second, did I accidentally choose the best strategy for a lot of situations or did the RNG gods just decide I should kick rear end until they killed me for being too awesome?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tatters posted:

So, wait a second, did I accidentally choose the best strategy for a lot of situations or did the RNG gods just decide I should kick rear end until they killed me for being too awesome?

Yes

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up to capture all the french Generals

All tactics will be FNITTHOTC as will aggression. Randomness is the key to victory

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Update 6 - How to Antagonize the Player

Sure, if it means you'll stop pestering me.

Good. These are mostly in Spain, but I'll take whatever they'll do if it means pissing off the French.

A brief pause in the South to attack in the North.

More stalling with the French and 176 troops to deploy for the assault(s).

The Prince of Piedmont (Sally) does well here.

Prince of Saxony (FoolyCharged) with the anxiety generating move here. :ohdear:

Success, and chasing into Bosnia to build a buffer...

Inconclusive...

How to lose a General and 73 units for free.

It bugs me that so many of are men have been captured... Got another set, though.

The French eliminate the last Rebel territory, no guillotine for them though.

What an rear end... :sigh:

Russia just constantly battered by random events.

One set - 194 men, later, and I'm ready for try #2.

Sadly, I cannot promote him to King.

General Bellegarde reclaiming the last of Austria.

:rip: General Alvintzi (Slaan)

General Schwarzenberg's back!? Yaaaaa~ wait

:bang:

Alright whatever let's go.

:sigh: This session has been going poorly, to say the least. Only lost 24 troops here.

I might have to consider nabbing the captured General from the Russians...

I will deal with you, Ottomans, in a way that would make you blush.

Trying to wipe out the remnants of General Alvintzi's army...

Luck shines on us this time.

The French are preparing for something, but not against the Austrians... Also NON.

*Again. Also 108 from POWs and lost Generals. An exchange was made with the Ottomans, because I'm using it to fuel my next attack against them.

The Brits betray me and then offer me a prisoner. Blow it out your asses.

General Bellegarde cuts off the way home...

While newly appointed General Gyulai (Veloxyll) embraces randomness for the...

Killing blow.

And a buffer state is created, just in case!

General Radetsky (Tatters) manages to survive!

Three attacks, but Marquis de Chasteler manages to kill the French General and makes the last attack almost trivial.

Two attacks, but a successful endeavour by the PoP.

Almost parity with PoWs, rage subsiding.

Fighting here, again.

Refusing prisoners this time, I want to keep the hurt on.

Despite randoming the literal worst option, the 1-troop army survived and retreated to Raditz.

People really need to avoid the Sahara.

More aggression in Spain.

Ooooooh, I'm interested!

Ok so a prisoner exchange now should favor me, I'll get another RISK™ card, and a truce with the Russians to secure the flank. How could this go wrong?

The Prince of Piedmont (Sally) makes another effort.

Hmmm, let's try again...

Damnit.

General Gyulai ravaging the Italian countryside.

General Radetsky sweeping some French troops near Holland.

And even down to Belgium!

I couldn't have planned this any better! A set, ready to go for the next turn, probably gonna yield 200 troops!

I told you about Sahara, dog! Also, Nice™! Also Also, guess where we are striking next? Heheheheh...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

There is only one logical place to strike. Gen Radetsky is a man you can march with. He'll have them grasping at Strauss in no time!

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Trade in all your prisoners with everyone, make a dash for Istanbul and London.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Time to release the Byzantine Empire and reconquest all its cores!

Wait, this isn't EU4.

Randomness currently having a 100% success rate

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It was Istanbul, soon Constantinople

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I loved this game on the Playstation. IIRC it had the World, North America, Europe, and Asia maps, but no scenarios.
The animations are awesome. My favorite is the lone artilleryman that gets shot and falls over. It's kinda comical.

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020
So, my brother reminded me of my strange history with Risk and this seems like a good thread to share in.

See, when I was younger I was essentially forced to play a game of Risk with my dad and some of his friends, just normal boardgame risk. I was super checked out and all I remember for sure is that I was playing the Scott Pilgrim video game whenever it wasn't my turn and I wasn't under attack. Reportedly, I silently built up my forces, being careful to make no enemies, while everyone else fought and the moment there was an opening I blitzed most of the world, with all the other players needing to team up just to slow me down.

They all insist to this day that I was the best Risk player any of them have ever seen, during my first match ever, while barely paying attention.

I choose to believe this has carried over to my general role in this LP. As displayed by the occasionally wrong tactics and frequent crushing victories.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man, I played the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid. Now that I'm a grown-rear end man with nothing better to do, I'm tempted to crack this sucker open in a disassembler and see if I can make some sense out of the randomness and tactics cards. I'd love to finally figure out something concrete about how it works under the hood.

Also sign me up to be a general. Don't care about my tactics, just do what feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
General incompetence and getting myself killed feels very appropriate. I love the absolute nonsense and randomness in this game.